Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 22 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #316  
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 07:21 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan had finished drawing a ship next to the picture of the statue when Morgan spoke to him. "See he understands me." He stood proudly with a big grin on his face. It wasn't until she pointed out he was wrong that he looked back at what he had drawn. "Hmm well then I guess we don't need this then huh?" He began kicking the dirt and sand to erase the pictures.

Tolan got a serious look on his face. "No more splitting up...It is to dangerous. And I don't trust these...things as far as I can throw them..." Looking toward the wreck, the halfling trailed off as he spoke. "Do we wait until morning before we explore that?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 03:28 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm " i say no to exploring without my sword. I am useless without my sword."[/B] is all he says as he sits without a use to the group in this situation.



 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Dec 7th, 2022 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 05:36 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

As the water genasi looked at her pack with a blank expression, Morgan was dismayed when Gil assessed that following the merrow could only lead into a trap. It was such a plausible and fitting conclusion to their prisoner's whole demeanor that the primordial woman was actually shocked that it hadn't really occurred to her like that. Certainly she hadn't meant to trust the merrow and she viewed him as quite the danger to herself and her own, but the idea that employing him as a guide could only lead to betrayal simply hadn't dawned on her before Gil had spelled it out to her. To be without guile is to find your death! Morgan averted her monochromic eyes and looked at the floor in what could only be called shame, though her face never flushed and she maintained the same blue color while staring ahead with slightly parted lips in a typical manner for her.

The half-elven sorcerer didn't need to explain further for Morgan to understand, yet caught up in his typical enthusiasm he likened their situation to following a bear and suggested that a point in the right direction would certainly be preferable to him. But the supposed wise woman saw the immediate problem with that. No... Wherever he sends us would never be in our interest... We can't. A moment of eerie silence had fallen over the primordial cleric as she stewed on her own naivete, but Tolan's antics prevented her from closing herself off completely as he called the attention of the group to him and lightened the mood by destroying the pictures which he had drawn into the ground. But even the halfling had his serious moments and so he also declared his distrust in the merrow and that in this dangerous territory he would not see the pack separated after all. Morgan was thankful for his change of heart compared to how he had spoken during yesterday's evening, but when he reminded them that they had been planning to investigate the wreck come light and morning, it was Storm who vehemently declared himself against a continued exploration.

As the undine looked at the hulking dragonborn, at first she couldn't understand why he made such an obvious excuse as that the lack of his sword prevented him from continuing their quest. Why...? He is stronger than most beasts in the forest... Scales, claws, and teeth that are far beyond me, and he has his own deity which grants him control over lightning and thunder... What need has he for a sword?? Morgan looked at Storm and was honest with herself. Even if he were to fight me barehanded while I wielded all my weapons, I can't be certain that I would be the victor... Naturally Umberlee's own was strong herself, cojoining the powers of both the forest and the deep while the divinity of her deities qualified her beyond weaker warriors or mere humans like Bern. But still, Morgan had a discerning eye and she had seen for herself the calamity that was Storm. It was ridiculous that he was dependent on a mere blade.

The water genasi lingered on those thoughts for a moment, before it occurred to her what this was. The beach...! He almost drowned... Is the wreck too close to the water for his courage now...? Watching her inscrutable packmate sit himself down in petulance, Morgan felt a pang of concern for her weak-minded companion. Even though she had a good guess where his sword had been lost, as a healer and once a teacher she could not let him fail himself like this. Instead of giving him what he asked for, Morgan decided to test how far his mental condition had already declined. And so the genasi walked over to the merrow's harpoon and lifted the unwieldy weapon as if it was a massive club. Then she turned to Storm and looked at him with her gaze of bottomless green. "If you can yet continue... Use this..." Morgan slightly raised the harpoon as an offering to the dragonborn. "Our pack... could use your strength..." Her expression remained blank. "But if you need more rest... You could remain behind to protect Bern and this merrow." Without waiting for Storm's decision, Morgan looked at her other packmates. "We should check on the wreck first... Gil..." Her gaze turned to the sorcerer. "Your magical item... I wanted to... try something with it. Let us return to the beach and fulfill our quest..."
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Nov 23rd, 2022 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 07:34 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm shook his head that weapon is next to useless in his hands as he has no training for it. His dagger or bare hands would be more effective. He just waits for the group hoping he can find his sword.



 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 09:29 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil bit his lip, thinking harder than he usually had call to. "I'm with Tolan, no splittin' up. We're barely makin' it as it is." He half-agreed with Storm too but had a sense that it wouldn't be exactly politic to say exactly how. "Sure, Morgan, I ain't usin' it. Be damned if I'm goin' back in the water right now." He tossed her the cap and scratched his chin, still keeping a hostile eye on the merrow.

"Um. Where'd yer sword end up anyway, Storm? Out off shore? 'Cause, jus' sayin', an' it don't strike me as a great idea ta cut Big Fish loose 'r put any kinda weapon in 'is hands, but y'all think we can get 'im ta go get it?"




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 12:57 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm "Sorry Gil. All i remember is drowning. Thats why I asked if anyoneknew where it was. " said the dragonborn cleric. Feeling it was a terrible mistake to have come on this quest. "But I agree we shouldn't split up. And this creature shouldnot be left alone even tied up it could escape. And we'd be back to fighting it. What ever it is."



 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 02:21 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Seeing Storm's reaction to her test of his resolve, Morgan slightly deflated as she lowered the harpoon back to the ground and then straightened back up as she reminded herself to not show any weakness. It was strenuous that she had to keep worrying about the dragonborn's propensity as a warrior. As he refused to arm himself with the harpoon, she could recognize a suspicious look in his eyes as if Storm felt an aversion against using such a crude weapon in particular. The primordial woman was sullen that she couldn't find a sliver of cooperativeness in the bronze dragonborn's demeanor, and after she finished talking to the others he didn't even deign her attempts to rouse him with a reply. Just when the healer was about to let out an audible sigh, Gil reacted to her other request and tossed his magical cap over to her. Morgan was neither daft nor slow, but she hadn't really expected the half-elf to throw his item at her. It hit her right in the shoulder and she jerked slightly as she then scampered not to let it drop to the floor. Although the undine's expression was blank as ever, the following look that she gave Gil was a long and silent one, and certainly accusatory. First she had to listen to a merrow cuss at her and call her slurs, then she had to keep worrying about Storm's mental condition which seemed incredibly frail for such a strong body, and then Gil came along and had to throw his belongings at her instead of handing it over to her like a sensible person. It had been a really long time since Morgan had felt as indignant and surrounded by children as she was now, and it would have almost been refreshingly nostalgic if it wasn't making her upset instead.

Ensuing to her growing frustration, the conversation of the group turned back to searching for Storm's sword and Gil even proposed to use the merrow for such a purpose when the water genasi herself could easily fulfill whatever role the unruly predator could have served. The three men were unanimous that they didn't want to split the party again since the wilderness on this island was anything but safe, but Morgan had become silently irate and she only vaguely listened as Storm worried about the merrow breaking his bonds and opposing them in combat again. The primordial cleric didn't care. He does not need me to make this decision for him... If he feels safer from slaying the merrow, he does not need my approval. Umberlee's own threw one passing look back at the tied-up merrow, her green hair fluently weaving around her face as if she had brought the deep sea onto land with her. It was unlikely that he would ever get to swim again, but Morgan had better things to do than concern herself with him right then. A stupid predator would find its end, and the merrow had a distinct lack of wisdom. "Bern..." Ignoring the three men in her pack who professed that they didn't want to split their group, the incensed genasi turned to the human youth alone. "Come. Stay with me. We are going to the beach..." After ordering Bern to follow, Morgan left the others behind to follow her on their own. She worldlessly started the ten-minute walk which would bring her back to shore where she hid in the foliage and searched the beach for anything suspicious that had changed since their arrival on the previous day.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 08:51 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Bern, who has been sitting quietly and attentively as usual, jumps up with a start at Morganís direct command. After an awkward glance around at the others, he complies, having heard no contrary instruction.

ďAre weÖare we going to leave the others?Ē Bern asks Morgan hesitantly after several yards, but he does not falter.

Morgan spies nothing new and concerning at the beach. In the last few hours, the water has receded from where she last saw it, at high tide. (Morgan and Bern had accounted for the tides when the party set up their original camp.) The fire is exhausted or extinguished; itís impossible to tell which from Morganís current perspective. A wide track shows where the party dragged the merrow to the trees. Stormís sword is plainly evident on the sand where he dropped it when he was struck unconscious.

OOCAs I read it, thereís nothing stopping anyone from following Morgan (and Bern), so just assume youíre there if you want to follow. Alternatively, I can easily retcon the above if you want to interrupt things.

I never said or suggested that Stormís sword was lost.

Writing this, I realized that I had never considered the enormous difficulty of moving the merrow through what would be a 10-minute walk on a woodland trail. *shrug* Maybe Tolan just grappled it.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 07:05 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 10:10 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Morgan and Bern headed off. Gil had a vague inkling that Morgan was a little more silent than usual, though it was awfully hard to tell. Anybody'd be crabby after a night like the last one. He certainly was, and suddenly feeling caught between one merrow right here and another that might still be lurking out in the water didn't do anything to improve his mood. He mumbled to himself. "Don't split up, split up, whadda I know anyways." This merrow was tied up at least though, which made it less dangerous than anything that might be in the water. Probably.

Whatever, they weren't going to find anything out in the woods. Gil wadded up his bedroll and stuffed it into his pack, glancing at Big Fish to make sure he wasn't wiggling loose before turning to Tolan and Storm. "Y'all comin'?" He hurried along after the waterwoman and the kid, Perception 6 blearily scanning the water's edge for merrows and sharkmen and who knew what, maybe flying octocrabs with their luck. He couldn't make out anything but maybe a glint by the remains of the fire. Fer cryin' out loud. "Ey, Storm! Yer sword's right 'ere!"




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 11:13 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan was staring at the merrow as the creature lay there tied up. "I almost feel sorry for it....yea sure it tried to eat us and everything..." He was lost in thought.

"Y'all comin'?"

Still facing the merrow, Tolan called over his shoulder. "Yea I will be there in a moment. Just have to...gather my things..." The halfling didn't actually have to gather anything, in fact he was already carrying everything he owned. As the others left he turned as started after them, being nimble he was able to catch up quickly.



The longer Tolan walked, the more tired he was becoming. The cold night, followed by the attack had started to take its toll. Yawning and rubbing his eyes, the halfling had dark circles under his eyes. "This wreck better be worth it..." He chucked to lightly as the group hit the sand. "Hey Bern, you want to carry me?" The rogue stumbled a little as he stepped up next to Morgan. "Well here we are again...let's hope this time goes a little more smoothly huh?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 04:48 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm Looked at the creature then the other's. As a cleric it wasn't justice to just kill a prisoner.. Of course had he known its words of them being food he would have found plenty of justice in killing it.

So after a moment he started following the others. Leery of the water, especially without his sword.

But Gil was hollering he'd seen it. So Storm started looking for it.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Dec 7th, 2022 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 01:34 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

The party now gathered again at the beach, Storm cautiously approaches the waves and retrieves his sword from the dry sand.




 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 06:00 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm Lifted his sword from the sand. And banged the flat of it against his armor to knock off the sand.

Storm did not sheath it instead he took up a guarded stance with it . Watching and waiting for anysign of danger.. His greatsword at the ready he felt prepared ot face any enemy ( except water) once more.

"You were right Gil. I have my weapon once more. I'm ready to search the wreck now. If thats still the goal." said the dragonborn cleric.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Dec 15th, 2022 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB