Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 23 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #331  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan didn't check if her packmates would stay consistent with what they had said before about keeping the group together. Underneath her softspoken demeanor, the primordial woman had certainly been angered, even though the men in her group hadn't even attempted to do so. Her mood wasn't something to risk Bern's life over, but the human youth was safer with her than with the others, so Morgan bid him to come along to the beach. It couldn't be helped that her willful decision confused the boy, but when he asked about the others, the irate genasi replied in her usual tone of voice since she didn't want to take her grievances out on him. "They said they will come... We are just going ahead..." For most of the walk Morgan sulked and left Bern to follow her in silence, but by the time they arrived at the beach and Morgan scouted the surroundings as they had left them in the night, she quickly heard the noises of the three men and recognized that they hadn't been far behind her. This decidedly put her into a better mood, and she concluded to leave things as they were for now. This was her current pack and she would have to learn how to deal with them, and for now it sufficed that she could rely on them as far as she had trusted in them. The beach looks safe... Now we explore how dangerous the wreck still is.

The sensitive water genasi still held Gil's magical cap in her right hand since he had thrown it at her. A few yards away was the wreck, still imposing as a large mass of metal that was utterly unnatural on this peaceful beach. When Morgan had been daringly exploring wrecks of wood on the bottom of the sea in her youth, she had never gotten a look at such a wreck in its entirety. But even though this was only half of a vessel and wrought of metal in a more than curious manner, with the hissing still present in the background it made for a more threatening architecture than any which the primordial adventurer had visited in the past. Another noise behind Morgan made her turn as Gil was the first to arrive, and when he called out to Storm that his invaluable sword had been found, the dragonborn hurried onto the sand. In the meantime Tolan drew up and made a display out of his tiredness while he joked around with Bern to carry him, and the undine's green hair floated around her face as she worried about his attitude. "I can't say if it will be worth it... But it is our quest."

Morgan's voice had been soft even while lecturing Tolan without meaning to, but as she motioned for Bern to keep following, she took notice that she was still a little sour with the three men in her pack. But she also decided to not make any more of a big deal out of it and decided to just focus on their quest for now. As she walked past Storm and heard him exclaim that he was ready for the wreck, the sullen yet expressionless undine donned Gil's cap while she approached the edge of the water and then used the powers granted to her through the King of the Water Elementals by lifting a large ball of water from the sea to hold it with primordial magic between her webbed hands. Going by the half-elve's previous explanations about his magic item, it took a command word to create a bubble of air that would remain while submerged in water. On the previous eve Morgan had gotten an idea about trying to create a water helmet that possibly could shield her if the vicinity to the wreck would put her in danger. Those hissing noises reminded the genasi an awful lot of the active vulcanism at the seabed of her former home, and so Morgan dove her head into the water that she controlled, activating the cap's magic as she began to combine her inborn abilities with its ability and attempted to fashion a method of protection against any gaseous hazard.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 09:50 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan took a moment to take a breath. His hands on his knees he focused on his breathing before joining the others. Even with the level tone that Morgan spoke in, Tolan could pick out the lecturing voice, but he decided not to push the issue. The normal grin returned to his face as he appeared next to Bern.

Staying near the boy, Tolan watched as Morgan did her thing with the cap. He was not really sure what he should be doing yet, so he decided that he would not rush into anything this time. The last time he took the lead...he was lucky to be alive.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 03:08 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

After a few minutes of experimentation, Morgan develops the least awkward version of her two-ply breathing apparatus: a globe of water around her head, less than a centimeter thick closer to the top, several centimeters thicker at her shoulders, where the water is shaped into supports. Within that strange structure is breathable air.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 01:19 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
The morning seemed to be shaping up. Everyone was in the same place, nothing was trying to kill them at the moment. That left Gil trying to shrug off a vague sense of horror at someone else wearing his hat. He held on to the idea that, as far as he could tell, Morgan was a fairly cleanly sort and probably didn't have fleas or lice, not with her spending a lot of time under water.

He hadn't understood why she wanted the hat though as going back into the water didn't seem like the best idea, not until she wrapped a load of water around her head and set the hat off. It made sense all of a sudden. Kind of. It might get her past the swamp gas, but maybe not anyone else. "That's pretty nifty, Morgan. Now what?" He had to wonder if she could even hear him through the bubble.




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

As Morgan tried her best while experimenting with Gil's magical cap, her mood curiously improved as she thoroughly enjoyed shaping herself a helmet made from water which could protect her from any sort of noxious fumes that could possibly await her at the wreck. Of course it was just a precaution and the water genasi hadn't even confirmed the hissing noises to correlate to the sort of environment that they reminded her of, but for a few moments the men in her pack didn't bother her and the act of creating was pleasant under the morning sun. Morgan was certainly not much of a craftsman, she had spent a lot of time on different fields of study, but within her tribe of hunters and gatherers she had certainly crafted before. Even now as she did so without common tools and through Istishia's favor, it certainly calmed her thoughts and gave her something purposeful to focus on. And in the end, her helmet of water even came out well in her opinion, even if it didn't have much of a sophisticated shape to look at.

With the watery construction sitting heavy on her shoulders, Morgan finally turned back to the pack and the world around her was certainly blurry, demonstrating itself as a bit of a downside to her peculiar idea. For the others it was as if looking into a fishbowl, and the primordial woman's face looked a bit distorted due to the optical effect from peering through the water helmet. The sound however was transferred well as it travelled through the liquid, and thus Morgan understood it quite well when Gil inquired about the next step, reminding her that she hadn't really talked her considerations through with everybody. While her magic kept maintaining the helmet's surface tension, the weight of it all still took getting used to as it disturbed Morgan's sense of balance. But the warrior of faith and nature had trained her body incessantly since arriving in the West Marches, and so she managed to handle herself. Morgan experimentally took a few steps, walking a bit back and forth as she ordered her thoughts, and then she returned to converse with her pack. "I want to look at the corpses... And find out what killed them." The undine blinked, her soft voice sounding a bit distorted as she talked through the helmet. "It would be better not to explore the wreck alone... I shall find out for us if it is safe to approach. Please watch out and warn me if anything moves while I look at the dead..." And thus, after listening to her packmates' thoughts and if there were no disagreements, Morgan kept holding the shape of her helmet through primordial magic and moved to do just as she had explained.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Dec 13th, 2022 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 06:50 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Morgan has little trouble shooing the gulls away to get a closer look at the bodies - little more than skeletons at this point. At first she fails to draw any conclusions. Even the placement of the bodies says little, as the genasi can directly witness the gulls displacing even larger portions of bodies as the search for, and fight over, the last morsels to gobble. At the edge of the ship, though, she finds clear evidence of the cause of at least one death - part of a leg, detached, remains pinned under the huge vessel.

OOCMorgan made a bad Medicine roll, but I decided that the evidence of crushing by a huge object would be pretty obvious to anyone. (:


 

 
 

Last edited by secretID; Dec 14th, 2022 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 08:33 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Morgan waved everyone closer. Despite the gulls showing no ill effects, Gil approached the wreck with caution, Perception 12sniffing at the air and monitoring his own well-being for any wooziness or sudden weakness as he neared. The bodies were stripped almost to raw bones, except for part of one that was conspicuously under the bulk of the wreck. "Ew, nasty. Ya think it just fell on these people? Musta been comin' in fast, ya'd think they woulda seen it 'fore it was too late."




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 10:09 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Where some of the gaseous emissions are thicker, everyone's instinct is not to breathe deeply, anymore than one would willingly breathe in smoke, but Gil does not recognize any of the smells or notice anything more specific than "danger."


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 11:13 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm walked over.

" Seems to me, if these are the ones sent to investigate the wreck they'd be around it. Or drug off by the merrow. Not under it. " He said as he turned to watch the water once more.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 20th, 2023 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Walking and general maneuvering took a bit more getting used to for Morgan as she approached the metal wreck on the beach with her self-fashioned globe of water resting heavily on her shoulders and blurring her vision. When the water genasi had heaved herself over to the corpses and waved off the gulls that had been trying for their pickings, Morgan realized belatedly that the birds themselves had made for a good indication that any volcanic fumes from the wreckage weren't making their way this far onto the beach. Should I remove the helmet? No... it's such a hassle to get it right and when we enter the wreck it might be important still... While there wasn't too much left of the three villagers from Fishbark, in the end the primordial healer concluded that they had been crushed after all. The concave wall of thin water in front of her was still debilitating a bit of her vision, but given all of the clues and that her skin wasn't prickling, Morgan concluded that they had shown enough caution and thus she waved the remainder of her pack over, oblivious that the wreck was surrounded by gaseous emissions that weren't safe to breathe after all.

When the others had caught up to the primordial woman's position next to the crushed skeletons, Morgan noticed an expression of discomfort on Gil's face, but he was a warrior and she wasn't sure if it was right to call him out on it. The half-elven sorcerer explained that he felt that the villagers should have seen the falling wreck coming as it must have descended on them, and Storm agreed that the villagers wouldn't be in their current condition had they approached the wreck to investigate. The dragonborn also mentioned that they should have gotten drug away by the merrows, which gave Morgan pause until she concluded that the birds might have gotten to the villagers first and she wasn't even sure if the merrows had any interest in feeding on carrion. Putting such distasteful practices for sentient beings out of her mind, the cleric of life straightened up under the weight of her helmet and looked at her pack with a blank expression that was distorted by the protective water which was covering it. "I... think that we should give the wreck a brief exploration... I've done it beneath the waves in the past... This is far different from anything that I've seen, but I am warded against dangerous air with this cap and so I believe that I should go first, in search of a safe path inside. Will you trust me with this task and stay close behind me...?"
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Dec 17th, 2022 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Seems to me, if these are the ones sent to investigate the wreck they'd be around it. Or drug off by the merrow. Not under it." "Yah, has ta be." Gil nodded to Storm in agreement, approaching with increasing confidence on grounds that he hadn't passed out so far. "That is, unless the thing can still get in the air. 'Course there'd 'ave ta still be someone on board who can fly it. An' they'd 'ave ta be on the mean side ta go ta the trouble o' squishin' someone." He scratched his head. "'Course then they coulda just flown off instead o' sittin' 'ere." Not that he could make out how it ever flew in the first place.

Morgan gurgled away inside her bubble and Gil thought he'd gotten the gist of it. "Sure, what the 'ells. We can 'old our breath fer a little bit 'til we see, right? Can't get squished if we're inside either." He took a deep breath and prepared to follow her into the wreck.




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 07:53 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm walked over.

" Gil wait. Near the temple i grew up in there were mines they used birds to check if the air was breathable " He said as he watched the water as if it was going to attack him at any second. " If Morgan carried one and we followed at a safe distance, we'd know if we can safely go. Each time one dies. We stop replace it and find another route,. Unless we can easily stop the gas... This would allow us to stay together mostly. " He looks over the area.

"We could try catching as many gulls as possible. Unless there's anotheroption. If Morgan goes as she is she wont know what air is breathable and what aint. And would then have to go alone. Which means facing all dangers alone. On my honor this i can not stand for. So birds or no ill be going even if it kills me. I owe her that much." He finishes. Having flashes of, memory ,of Morgan fighting for him under the water when she could have left him to die.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 08:46 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Listening to both Gil and then Storm share their thoughts and concerns, Morgan was brought to the realization that for the sake of detecting dangerous air that could harm her pack, she was not well equipped while she was protected by her helmet of water. The dragonborn cleric explained a method that would have the primordial healer sacrifice birds as a warning signal of sorts, and Morgan felt a pang of apprehension to spend the lives of animals in such a way. It seemed like the sort of whimsical idea that the Wavemother herself would embrace, but Morgan did not feel the same. The water genasi and former speaker of her tribe coveted strength to protect and care, not to subjugate living beings for such a crude sake. It also appeared to the primordial woman as if Storm believed the seagulls on this beach were to be easily caught, and by rejecting his ploy she also felt she could spare him the embarrassment of the gulls proving him wrong.

Still, Storm raised his point well. And although a cleric of life like Morgan could not accept life being wasted in such a way, she understood that the water helmet could prevent her from noticing the wreck's hazardous gas and that it could make her lead her pack into danger if she did not take care. But yet we are outside... Out here it appears to be safe. Any dangerous air would not be everywhere... It would be contained in pockets of air, wouldn't it...? Pondering the dragonborn's cautionary words and recognizing that Storm would stake his honor on aiding Morgan should she ever ask him to face any danger, the primordial woman determined that it was their quest to face this danger together. Yet they could still be careful about it. Speaking softly from inside her water-clad bubble of air, the daughter of the waves spoke to her pack.

"I do not want to harm any bird for the sake of our quest, Storm..." Morgan's blank face was distorted behind her helmet of water, but her deep-green eyes were firm and true. "Nor would I wish you to seek harm unnecessarily. I..." The water genasi knew how men could be. She could respect a warrior's honor, but deep down Morgan lamented that Storm did not put her sentiment to see him alive at the same worth. But those shouldn't be her words. "I have an idea..." It was crude at best, but since there was enough breathable air around it should work. "Volcanic emissions are dangerous... because they make you faint, and then you won't stop breathing them..." Morgan reached into her backpack and retrieved a hempen rope. "But neither of us will explore on our own. As a pack, we can face the gases more safely..." She held her rope to the men. "There should be one walking behind me a few steps... If they faint. Storm, you have great strength and can pull them back. To breathe safely again..." Once more the primordial woman observed how the dragonborn would react. If her pack agreed to her plan, Morgan would assume the vanguard and lead the way in circling the wreck in search of an entrance ahead.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Dec 22nd, 2022 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 07:52 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Yah, I s'pose..." No one had keeled over yet, and Morgan's rope idea sounded fair. "I mean, we could also walk 'round ta the other side without gettin' close ta it, an' then try the rope thing if that don't work. What with the squashin' lookin' more fatal than the hissin' an' all."

Tea, Gil thought. This whole day would have started off better with some hot tea.




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 01:39 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm smiled evily.

" Ok Tolin can be our first test birdy when he dies Gil is next. Then ill be the last. " He said as he turned to watch the water once more.

'" Or we could build a fire set the whole thing a blaze killing whatever is in it. And then mission complete. " He added.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 2nd, 2023 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB