Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 24 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #346  
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 10:10 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan was only half paying attention to what the others were saying. At first the halfling thought Morgan wanted to scout the ship herself to which he was about to point out that she was against him doing the same. However, he soon realized that was not the case. Nodding at the idea of moving around the wreckage to find a possible entrance. "If we don't find anything, I can try to climb the ship...see if there is anything up there we can use, or at least tie off a rope to help you up."

Hearing Storm's comment about him going first, Tolan's head snapped toward the dragonborn and darted around to get behind him as he looked at the water. Very quickly the rogue did not feel safe around Storm. Using his small stature, the halfling did his best to hide from the lizard's view. "Did being dragged under the water change him that much? Is he still the same Storm that we started this mission with? Do I need to keep an eye on him now?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock

Last edited by Cheshire; Dec 26th, 2022 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Once more Morgan was put in front of the three men in her party trying to rob her of her patience. While Gil seemed easily convinced that Morgan's idea of approaching the wreck was safe enough, Storm in return managed to come up with an irksome display of dark humor which managed to visibly disconcert Tolan, who was easily disconcerted to begin with. It still felt too much as if the primordial woman had been tasked to take care of children. Each in their own way, Storm and Tolan were clearly meaning to contribute to the exploration of the wreck, but slowly the genasi felt like she would be making much more progress if she went on her own. Which given what they were standing next to was fairly reckless, but Morgan was in a bad mood, even though it failed to show on her face. When Tolan tried to climb the Journey the last time, his frail body seemed to hold him back. And Storm... If I'm not mistaken he thinks the air from this ship to be much more deadly than it appears to be. Not a single dead gull surrounds the wreck...

After the last night when they had beaten the merrows, her pack had proven to Morgan once more that they could stand strong if they worked together. Right now however, her pack apparently tried to prove much more how good they were at standing still, and Storm's idea of burning down the metallic wreck was the last idea that convinced Morgan that she should stop consulting her party and make these decisions herself. "Storm. Without Tolan's help, I could not have saved you. Without him, you would have drowned..." This was as much chastisement that the cleric of life was in the mood for, and then she looked over at Bern, realizing that both leaving him here and taking him with the pack would put him in danger. At least Storm hadn't offered up him as a 'test birdy', which most likely would have unsettled the boy just as it had unsettled Tolan. Morgan shook her head to herself, which was difficult due to the helmet of water, but she mustered the gesture nonetheless. "Maybe... You all just watch from a safe distance as I search for an entrance... Don't worry for me, I will stay within view..." The water genasi looked briefly at Storm. "If you can catch one of the gulls before I have found a way inside, I will reconsider..." And with that Morgan turned around and circled the eerie wreck to finally make some visible progress with their quest.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 08:53 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm growled.

" Ok Tolin can be our first test birdy when he dies Gil is next. Then ill be the last. " He said as he turned to watch the water once more.

"Your the one wants to lock our group in a full of gases and see what happens while your protected. Perhaps you made a secret pact to kill us all for your fishy friend back there. That's the only reason you could have for being angry that i voiced your plan in a way that tells them exactly what can happen! " He yelled. " I specifically suggested a way to possibly save the group. You rejected it. Which says you want to use us as your test subjects! You already know none of us would send you into danger alone. Yet you keep tryto go your own way with out us. Which means you either are friends with those that attack us or no longer wish to be part of the group. He finishes. Lightening flashing all around him reflecting his anger.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 2nd, 2023 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 09:49 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
The small head of Tolan poked around Storm. "Um, If I may. First off, no one is going to put their heads in any gasses to see what happens. For right now, we are just going to be circling the boat to see what we can see. I think because the gulls do not die instantly while flying around, the gas is relatively safe...or at least, will not kill us the moment we breath whatever it is, in." He looked at Morgan and smiled. "As for you allying yourself with the fish people, you worked to hard to save Storm, something that I could not have done alone. Further more, if she wanted to kill us that would have been the perfect time to do so. I would have been out numbered and Storm was already fighting for his life."

Turing toward the wreck. "Now, as for our current situation...Morgan if you want to get closer to the ship feel free. I will stay with in a short distance of you just in case. I still have a few of those berries left. Storm and Gil can do as they please, if they do not want to get closer to the wreck for fear of the gasses that is ok." Tolan strutted up next to Morgan and looked up at her with a big grin. "I trust you with my life and I will do what ever I can to support you."

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 01:25 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
It was a damn crime, Gil thought, to feel so much like he was having a nasty hangover when he hadn't had a drop to drink. "Yah, look, all y'all quit it, alright? Ya ain't goin' searchin' alone, Morgan. Ain't no one left ya alone yet an' it ain't gonna happen now."

"An' Storm, piss off with all that. Tolan's right, damn thing had birds all over it an' ain't no dead birds lyin' around. Only reason yer even alive is 'cause Morgan an' Tolan busted their asses ta pull ya outta the water after ya got yerself dragged down when ya coulda just backed up. I cannot believe yer raggin' on folk ya owe yer life ta. Like it's all 'bout ya rushin' in how ya want an' screw everyone else. Gods' sake. Ya oughtta be on yer hands an' knees apologizin' and sayin' thankya, instead yer jus' rude. Yer a terrible example ta young Bern."




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 09:52 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

It couldn't have been more than a few steps before Storm started growling and yelling at Morgan from behind, and although she had been fairly determined to end this conversation and get on with their quest, once the dragonborn accused her of seeking her pack's death and having made a pact with their enemies for such a cause, the water genasi was stopped dead in her tracks. In disbelief at what she was hearing she turned around and blankly stared at the dragonborn cleric, her perception blurred by the globe of water that was surrounding her head. But while wearing her magical helmet, it was still no impediment to clearly hearing anything that Storm shouted at her while volatile lightning flashed up around Storm as if he was getting ready to attack her. And while Morgan recognized that lightning was simply in his nature and that Storm wasn't intending to threaten her, the venomous words that he hurled at her had the primordial simply aghast.

There were several emotions bubbling up inside the sensitive waif, both anger and sorrow, but also pity. As she had become a warrior after leaving her old life behind, Morgan knew that she had a duty to not show any weakness in front of her pack. But as the primordial woman bid herself to listen and try to understand Storm's infuriated ravings, she realized that he wasn't trying to attack or dishonor her, even though this were exactly the kind of words that he used. He understands nothing. His skull is as thick as the scales which protect his flesh... Morgan had been observing Storm with worry ever since they had set on their voyage from the harbor of Westhaven. And although she had concluded that the dragonborn's fear of the sea wasn't to be taken as a sign of madness, both in his words and actions it became clear to the water genasi that Storm lived in his own personal world where the accusations that he was shouting at her actually looked like the truth to him. He is deranged... What... What do I do...?

Morgan stood frozen on the beach next to the enormous wreck of metal that was hissing its vapors into the air as part of the background. Although her heart was pounding after being screamed at by a massive hulk of claws and lightning, she understood that the things Storm was yelling at her all made sense in his head. It was difficult for Morgan to fathom that her refusal to entrap a bird and her suggestion to secure the second in line with a rope was the same as a death sentence that she maliciously condemned her party to, but apparently that's how Storm had taken her words while he bad kept staring out at the sea, distracted by the large body of water that instilled fear in him to an irrational degree. Now Storm's lack of reason was directed at Morgan, but the insightful genasi realized that it was solely his misunderstanding and that his words shouted in anger weren't all that there was to him, and that he might be dissuaded. But still, the dragonborn's accusations hurt. I saved his life, and he would truly believe that I would murder our pack in cold blood... As one who often felt misunderstood herself, this was the worst that anybody had ever said about the primordial healer. Once, she had been the speaker of her own tribe, but despite such a title Morgan had always been a failure in capturing the hearts of her own people. Now faced with Storm's flashing anger, the dejected woman had no hope that she would find the words to bring such a thick-skulled dragonborn to reason.

Truly feeling helpless in finding a reply to Storm's absurd accusations, Morgan herself didn't know how she would have proceeded if Tolan and Gil hadn't spoken up before her. The roguish halfling was the first to come to the primordial's defense, and although Umberlee's own should have held the strength to never need such aid or protection, when Tolan walked up and professed his trust and comradery, Morgan felt deeply grateful and she was once more shocked by the halfling's ability to surprise her like this. At first glance, Tolan was small, weak, and cowardly, and she the genasi had noticed him bending the truth on a mere whim, which had made her question his reliability further. But evidently there was much more to Tolan than that, and in important moments his heart would beat strongly, letting him hit a merrow's eye while in the grasp of the sea at night or making him willing to risk his life for his pack when none even demanded it. Now he had found the words that Morgan maybe should have had the wisdom to find herself, and as she was rewarded for all of her duty and diligence with Tolan's trust, the undine was deeply touched even though the Queen of the Depths which she was beholden to might have looked at such sentiments with derision.

However, before Morgan ever found any words to respond to the halfling's profession of loyalty and trust, Gil as well spoke up as he cut in and reminded the genasi that he like her knew the value of tribe and duty, and that he would not let her face the exploration of this wreck alone, no matter how much she felt driven to do so by Storm's mistrust and vitriol. Then the half-elven sorcerer's own temper flared and he raised his voice to contest the bronze dragonborn's accusations on Morgan's behalf. And even though the primordial woman saw his lack of wisdom in this as well, in that moment she also felt deeply thankful to him. That's right... Storm may trust nobody and wish to live his life by himself, but I'm no longer alone... Gil and Tolan had come on this journey to be her pack in this quest, and even though it was possibly temporary and all the other adventurers she had worked with had never been heard of again, Morgan felt less like a waif when she considered that this was what all Westhaven adventurers could be for her. Her tribe had perished, everyone but her eradicated when their bay had erupted and only Morgan had been safely afar, visiting the forests of the land. But even as the people of Westhaven were still strange and foreign to her, the undine slowly felt like she could believe that Westhaven's adventurers could become to her a community of a different kind. Maybe not her tribe, and not always part of her pack. But either way, maybe it was time for Morgan to view herself as something else than completely alone. So now, her voice, albeit soft, was deeply determined.

"They speak the truth, Storm. I would never wish harm upon my pack. I trust in our skills as adventurers to avoid and overcome the dangers of this wreck. Only I will go where the air isn't breathable. And I trust that all who walk behind me will be able to keep themselves safe. Even though you hold no such trust yourself." Morgan's deep-green eyes were unwavering even behind the helmet's watery veil. "I do not know the teachings of your god, but I now see that you have faith in nothing but him. I will forgive you for insulting me today." There was a brief pause before the cleric of life still had more to say. "You do not scare me, Strom, no matter how much you try. Like you are now, you will always be alone." Morgan didn't speak to get back at the other cleric, and she took no pleasure from it. She had seen a part of Storm's solitude and she understood how his inability to comprehend the world and work with others had cast a shadow on his soul, just like his fear of the ocean had. In this, albeit her words were harsh, Morgan spoke for the dragonborn's sake. "We will now explore this wreck, as it is our quest... We have use of your strength, but only if you can gather your resolve and swear not to hold us back... On this quest... we only need a warrior who can think of his pack..." She didn't make much of a show of it, but Storm's accusations had still hurt Morgan's feelings greatly. Her voice was soft, but her stance was strong and she did not cow before the violent dragonborn. "Never speak to me in such a way again..."
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jan 1st, 2023 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 10:39 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm growled, but he almost always did, he's a dragon it's normal.



" No one said anything about scarring you. " He said as he turned to her.
"You keep calling us pack but then keeptryingto separate. Perhaps you don't know what pact means. And incase you didn't listen my concerns are for the group. It seems you either dont care, or think me a god... we go you breath gasses if you drop Storm will save you. Guess what i cant cure poison, or resurect the dead. If they fall i can pull their corpses back but thats it.." He said. " And if it were safe you'd of never created the helmet."
But don'tworry I voiced my concerns. You can do as you like."
He finishes. The lightening flashing all around him reflecting his anger lessens.

Then he turns to Gil " I may just decide not to pull you back..." weather he meant it or not no one could tell Storm's smile looked the same as a dragon ready to eat you. And
the two of them seem to clash strongly. Enough so that Storm once threatened to eat him...

Storm of course didn't even notice the lightening, as it's so naturally a part of him he really only notices it when he's using it to attack, or heal. As to the words that he was alone here well that just made him decide if this was a pack he's never been part of it. They just been helping each other out of need and duty ( for the mission). That's fine the faster he's back in westhaven the faster he can be rid of them.



 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 2nd, 2023 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 05:02 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil's mind wandered during the back-and-forth. What if the thing really could fly? That'd be pretty sweet. Weird, but sweet. One of the things about having dragons in the family tree was you always kind of felt like you ought to be able to fly, it was just like wanting to have a heap of gold somewhere and set people on fire sometimes.

Morgan took one more shot at common sense. Gotta admire the persistence. As far as Gil was concerned, Storm was pretty well proven to be about 20 arrows short of a full quiver already, and his instant swing from protesting his good intentions to leaving veiled threats hanging just confirmed it. "I may just decide not to pull you back..." "Yah? Funny, I kinda figured that already. Let's jus' do the thing. Ain't nobody ever went adventurin' 'cause it's safe."




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 07:43 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028
OOCI'm not sure what the grouping is, but it turns out it doesn't matter for now. Anyone who wants to be wading in about a meter of water on the other side of the ship with Morgan can assume that they are.


As Morgan rounds the near, curved portion of the wreck, no manufactured door is evident, but on the ocean side of the structure, she finds a very accessible entrance of another kind. The far end of the ship - if ship it is - has been sundered, revealing tubes in the walls from which more gases spout. Despite the haze produced by these, a circular door on the inside wall can easily be seen. The contents of this room have been destroyed; smashed glass vials cover the floor, thin metal wires are strewn about the place, and crumpled metal instruments litter the desks.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 11:55 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan had mentally prepared herself for the possibility that there wouldn't be any getting through to Storm for one such as herself. Yet when she evidently failed to get her thoughts across how she had meant, she could only listen to the dragonborn cleric further accusing her of disloyalty while insisting that he was justified to treat his supposed companions like this. How has he grown so big and strong, but still he acts like this...? Does he not care to think of others...? He does not understand...

The water genasi could gather from Storm's words that he truly seemed to believe a single moment within the wreck's vapor would kill the adventurers before they could react and ward themselves against it. Truthfully, Morgan knew nothing of the landwalkers' mines and how deadly the air within those mines next to Storm's home could get, but somehow the oceanborn healer couldn't believe that this wreck would pose the same danger that the aggravated dragonborn accredited it. Not a single gull is in sight that has perished. If this wreck was as dangerous, would they truly get near it...? And then, if the gas killed upon exposure, how would carrying a captured bird even aid against it??

Even when the irritated genasi tried her best to find reason within Storm's concerns, since she knew nothing about these mining practices that he was drawing his knowledge from, the primordial woman simply failed to conclude that his perspective was credible. Seeing Storm visibly calm down helped Morgan believe that he wasn't as deranged as she had feared, but the closeness to the sea still seemed to have left him in a perpetual state of confusion. Why else would he have proposed to burn down such a huge lunk of metal as they were dealing with?

So Morgan just stood there, letting Storm finish the conversation on his terms. Even when Gil and the dragonborn clashed once more after they hadn't been able to see eye to eye since the beginning, the former speaker of her tribe could only hope that Storm's threats were mere male bravado, or else they would be forced to abandon Storm's natural strength and divine magic after all. There was no question that Morgan had come to trust Gil much more than she did with the fear-plagued dragonborn, but she didn't wish to further her pack's disunity anymore, so the only course left was to move on. I hope that I won't regret this... Storm seemed intent to protect them at the least, and a great part of his fear appeared to have been that their current plan wouldn't let him. But still, the primordial cleric had doubts. They won't let me go alone... But I must not let them fall to harm. They aren't ready for this quest, so I must carry more of the burden...

Eventually, when no further discussion ensued, Morgan spearheaded her pack a few feet ahead of the next person, circling the wreck until eventually the undine wetted her webbed feet in the surf as she found the sundered section of this alien construction. The destruction of this vessel appeared to have left the wreck with a substantial opening from which the adventurers would be able to enter it, and now the haze coming from the tubes in the wreck's walls was even more noticeable. "The inside is... just as odd as it is from outside..." Morgan couldn't really put into words what she was looking at, but even though it was distinctly different, it still reminded her of Xyco somewhat. As best she could, Morgan tried to compare the knowledge that she had made in visiting the vessel of the Trinity, hoping that it would give her some guidance.

Speaking of guidance, although neither Silvanus nor Umberlee would look kindly on such a vessel and the intrusive methods with which it must have been constructed, Morgan began to mumble a few aquan prayers as she inspected the hull and what she could see of the interior. Considering that the primordial woman was walking around barefooted, even though it had let her soles grow thick she wondered if she wouldn't end up hurting herself and whether she could easily find a path to avoid cutting herself should she enter. Without much cunsultation of her party, Morgan motioned closer to the tubes that expelled the haze, using caution after Storm had kept reminding her that she didn't know all kinds of vapors and how they could harm her. Could I reduce the haze for the others if I froze one of those tubes shut? How do they function? The wreck has been here for days... Can it bleed like this forever?
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jan 5th, 2023 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 10:42 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Morgan enters a state of nearly constant prayer as she steps around the wreck exterior to take different perspectives on the breached chamber and its contents. Though Morgan had lacked the proper context to understand much of what she heard and observed on Xyco, she remembers enough things, in her terms, to conclude that this wreck is of very different construction. First, there is less metal used in the interior than in Xyco, but also no plastic…yet no wood at all. Much of the wreck appears to be formed from some other material, possibly an organic one.

There is no evidence at all of any “computers,” or more generally the ways to harness lightning employed at Xyco. There is also no evidence of any of the aural and visual communications systems used at Xyco.

The various gas-filled tubes trigger little from Morgan’s memories of Xyco. She remembers some talk of maintaining “air quality” by altering gases, but nothing that would suggest this many different tubes. As she investigates the closest ones, she concludes that she would have little trouble freezing them to block the emissions. Unfortunately, there appear to be two primary sources of the gasses within the breached chamber; to freeze them both, Morgan must drop her “helmet” first.

It seems to Morgan that she could easily brush aside the nastier looking debris in order to cross the chamber to the interior door.

Finally, Morgan comes to a conclusion as she completes about 75% of a circuit around the wreck: either it did not rely on propulsion as described at Xyco, or it was only part of a larger vessel, or it was not designed to move at all.



 

 
 

Last edited by secretID; Jan 5th, 2023 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 05:10 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil took out his remaining roll of rope, tied one end around his waist, and let it trail along behind him as he followed Morgan, staying a little farther away. Maybe someone would grab it if he tipped over. He kept one eye on the water since getting close to it hadn't turned out to be a good idea at any point so far, glancing away from it to try to peer deeper into the hole in the wreck. "So waddaya think? Don't seem like it's actin' up on account o' us bein' 'ere."




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 07:55 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

With the memories of Xyco on her mind and the much more familiar words of faith on her lips, Morgan explored the breached entry passage which could lead her pack into the wreck. At the same time as awe and wonder resurfaced about the kind of things which the land-loving races were capable of, it also once more frightened the primordial woman how a complete disregard of all which was natural could result in such an utterly alien construction. Still not an expert on the technology which the Trinity had descended into the Westmarches, Morgan still compared what she was seeing as best she could, finding herself lacking in knowledge as this was something yet unseen again. Why do its organs still pump and spill? Why does it incessantly concern itself with... the air inside? If it hasn't bled out, it must be made to produce these vapors. For what sake? While Morgan had learned many things in Xyco that had given her perspective, she could hardly be called experienced or even learned on any of these subjects. Is the air impure so often that they have made it's organ this strong that it won't die even when slaughtered like this? If only I knew more about these human mines...

Thinking about her conversation with Storm before, the water genasi thought that these mines must have been a terrible place if they bore vapors that were even more deadly than the smokers of Morgan's former home. If there was a reason that miners willingly braved such dangerous subterranean depths, then in what kind of environment had this wreck made its journey before? As the curious undine kept surveying the metal construction from its outsides, she gradually connected the dots as she realized that this didn't have any of Xyco's magic stations nor did it have any sort of external propulsion like Valkyrie. It's almost like this wasn't any traveler. Is it like a wooden ship? It does not seem like it would move with a sail, but maybe the part that held a rudder or sails is the one that broke off? Morgan stared blankly ahead as she mumbled her prayers. But then, a normal vessel out of metal would not float, would it? Not without magic. Without magic it would just sink... Is this wreck... maybe a building? But then why did it fall from the sky? A place as dangerous as Storm's mines should be below... Once more thinking back on the vulcanism which had warmed the waters of her youth, the last of her tribe considered the absurdity of what if someone had built a metal building on top of such smokers as she had known them in the past. Then such an endlessly pumping air organ like this wreck possessed would have served a purpose. But just as soon as the thought had come, Morgan already threw it away. Why would anybody ever bother? So pointless...

Morgan was still peering into the wreckage and thinking many more things to herself, when eventually Gil rose to the occasion to remind her of her task. His concern seemed to have rested on the aggressiveness that such a broken leviathan could possess, and the primordial woman remembered those sentient constructs and that the half-elven sorcerer's concern might have been more pressing than she had been giving it heed before. This was nothing like Xyco and they had seen no signs of life, but Morgan had seen multiple things without life trying to kill her in the name of the Trinity before. Something like this could be inside the wreck. And if it was, then it could eventually come out and find its way to Fishbark. Morgan knew that her pack would have to find out, and during her observations, she had already seen the path to progress. "This haze... I cannot judge how harmful it would be for you..." Even though she didn't share Storm's maniacal worries, the faithful healer saw no reason to risk when she could prevent. "I will try... to remove it..." Letting her primordial energy flow through her limbs before she directed Istashia's power at the sea near the edge of the breach, the daughter of the waves let the water defy gravity as she made it flow towards the first tube which had stuck out to her as a hindrance. When she had flooded it with water, the undine magically froze it shut. Not commenting on her work too much, Morgan stood there silently as she repeated that spiel for a second time. When she froze the second tube, her water helmet burst like a bubble, but the salty sea water didn't cling to Morgan and she was quickly as dry as before. Then she looked at the result and if it was safe for her pack.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

It took about a minute of watching the haze gradually thin out after Morgan had frozen its source shut with the powers that Istishia granted all of his children. There. Now Storm has less of a reason to fear... The water genasi was content with her accomplishment, although the unfortunate side effect was that she lacked enough control over her abilities to maintain the ice and the helmet of water at the same time. So now she lacked the advantage that Gil's magic item could have given them if there were even further gaseous threats ahead, but to Morgan that didn't appear as too troubling. If these fumes are tied to the vessel's wounds... or breaches... Then the interior may be traversable for us.

Considering that there was nothing further holding them back from exploring the wreck, Morgan turned back to look at her pack and Bern in particular. Subjecting the human youth to this trial might be too much for him and the cleric of life believed he would be able to keep himself out of trouble on the outside to boot. But these are the kind of experiences that would let him grow. The others still have remaining fruits of healing... Morgan decided it should be Bern's own choice. "We will now explore the inside... I think... we can just stick together, now that the helmet lost its power..." The primordial woman transfixed the human youth with her blank expression and deep-green eyes. "Bern... Are you ready to brave the dangers of this wreck or will you hide?"

After Bern had made his decision or one of Morgan's packmates had disagreed to leave the boy free reign, the water genasi turned back to the breach and then casually spilled a large swath of ocean water into the interior which was riddled with wreckage and shards. The other adventurers could observe how Morgan began to manipulate the water with force, creating magical currents that would scrape along the floor and brush the minor hazard of the unsafe footing to the side. Making no comments about her own work, the daughter of the waves finally climbed into the breach and walked further into the room. She turned her head left and right, staying conscious of her shield arm and looking for anything which she had been overlooking from the outside. Expecting her pack to follow along, the primordial woman approached the one exit that she already knew, moving at a slow walking pace while she took in all of the sights.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 10:12 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,943
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil stayed back until the hissing stopped and the air had a moment to clear. There were no excuses now, even if that temple basement full of cultists on his last run seemed kind of nice and cozy compared to this whatever-it-was thing that had no reason to exist as far as he knew. He waded into the wreck after Morgan, shuffling his boots under the water to push junk out of the way.

"Huh. Fer real? This is it? No people, no stiffs. Looks like an artificer's trash heap." Gil examined the debris and the tubes, and Investigation 4couldn't make anything of it at all. "I dunno, maybe ya oughta come in, Bern. Fishmen out there an' such."




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB