Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 25 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 07:04 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028
right-aligned image

Bern does not bother to consider alternatives, but he does look at Tolan and Storm to gauge their intentions. Before either commits, the young man does. "Oh, no - I'm with you!" he announces, and clambers into the wreck.

The three now standing in the room, a quick glance around reveals little more of interest, now that Morgan has washed the floor pretty well. On the far side of the chamber is what appears to be a door, mostly circular, with a seam down the middle as if a double door, but without handles are visible. No opening mechanism is obvious.


 

 
 

Last edited by secretID; Jan 20th, 2023 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 10:08 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm walked over closer to the opening.

" How's it look inthere? Can we get pass the gasses, if so how far? Should i toss the littleonein?" He asked. The last one a jest, that will undoubtedly be mistaken for something else.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Feb 15th, 2023 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 10:23 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan had just climbed through the breach when she heard the sounds of Bern and Gil following her, as well as Storm suggesting that he should throw Tolan into the wreck to check for any remains of the fumes which were no longer visible. The primordial woman understood the joke for what it was, however she did not turn around and it did not amuse her. The undine was troubled whenever she thought about the dragonborn all too much, so instead she focused on the sights of the unfathomable surrounding her as well on the voice of Gil as he called the wreck an artificer's trash heap. Morgan could recognize the resemblance now, even though she hadn't even known what an artificer was about a year ago. The knowledge which she had gathered since then made her reply to her packmate. "It looks like a lot is broken... and I don't think much would have survived whatever has... happened..." Morgan turned to meet Gil's gaze directly. "But... it may yet be guarded. I have seen things in the past... not alive, but they might survive in such a place and might come out if we go deeper."

Having shared her concern that the wreck might not be as abandoned as it seemed, the slow-walking genasi finally arrived in front of the circular door and was stumped for a moment. Normal doors had taken a bit of getting used to after the cleric from the sea had arrived and become an adventurer in Westhaven, but such an irregular door like this was just the kind of thing Morgan would have expected in Xyco. Meaning, it entirely surpassed her understanding and felt like it didn't belong in this world. Letting her deep-green eyes course over the metallic apparatus, the primordial woman considered offering another prayer to her deities in a request for guidance. But then she was growing further reluctant the more she considered it. This is an insult to the natural order. I feel like we shouldn't be here. Yet we must...

There was just this feeling that the ever-faithful Morgan wouldn't have been able to explain to an atheist like Captain Schon, the sense that relying on her connection with the divine about the questions that she wished to ask would be wrong. In fact, the cleric of Umberlee even began to regret that she had been so frivolous before. Even when she thought of Istishia who lacked the same temperament as the Wavemother, Morgan felt reluctant to invite the awareness of the Lord of Water into such a place. In the past when she had explored the wrecks on the bottom of the sea she had called upon him to guide her well, but this metal organism that they were inside of felt less and less like a wreck. So retaining herself to mundane means, Morgan began to study the door in hopes that she would be able to glean its mysteries on her own merit.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:00 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,942
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"How's it look? Junky. Don't go throwin' Tolan around, there's busted stuff everywhere." Gil looked at the...stuff, and the...other stuff. There really wasn't much that didn't look completely trashed except the round spot on the wall.

"Think yer right, Morgan, anybody in this woulda got crushed when it hit. Uhhh, what kinda not-alive survivin' things?" He strained his imagination and couldn't come up with anything but a vague image of sky zombies. It didn't make any sense, but neither did flying metal boats. He finally turned to the door Morgan was staring at. Maybe a door, anyway. "Ya think it slides inta the wall 'r somethin'? No handles, no knobs. Might be as broke as everythin' else but we can try pryin' it open." Gil started looking through the debris for anything that might work as a lever.




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 12:07 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan kept facing Gil with her typical blank expression and elaborated. "Things of metal. Not of flesh, but thinking and acting alive. They are quite... wondrous..." The primordial woman didn't mean to be cryptic, but she felt that words like construct or sentient vehicle might have been lost on one who had not been to Xyco. I could have never understood without seeing...

When the duo of adventurers reached what they could only suspect was a door, Morgan inspected it as well as she could, but besides finding a tight seam in the middle and giving it a bonk that resounded back as hollow, the cleric of life and daughter of the waves had difficulties to determine how if at all such a gateway was meant to be opened. Fortunately Gil felt like he had an idea, and when he suggested that the door might slide into the wall, it was just ingenious enough that it sounded like a plausible possibility to Morgan. "We could try to slide it..."

While Gil tried to find something to pry at the seam with, the water genasi kept looking at the door and considered that maybe pressing against the two sides of the door and applying enough force might suffice to forgo such sophistication. Morgan had faith in Umberlee, but as a proper devotee she had also faith in her own strength. And while Storm's way of thinking still gave cause for concern, he was quite evidently a monstrous hulk of pure muscle. The genasi felt like together the two of them could maybe solve this before Gil found them an appropriate tool. "Storm... There is no gas... to fear... Can you come over and help me pull..."
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 01:13 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm walked in.
" Come Tolan this room is clear atleast. Let's help." He said. As he approached to see what was needed.

 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 29th, 2023 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 11:38 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

As Storm nears Morgan, he catches on to her intent without further need of discussion. Each wedges their fingers into the very narrow seam, and they pull in opposite directions. The manage to separate the two door panels just enough to convince themselves that the panels probably are intended to slide into the door frame, but then their strength gives out, and the panels shut tight together again.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 08:21 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan watched the two open the door. He tried to get a look at what was inside the chamber.
Dice Perception:
2d20KL1 6, 4 (keeping 4) Total = 4
(4) Walking up to the front, the halfling nodded his head. "Well at least we can get it open. Don't suppose anyone has anything we can prop the door open with. Staff, rod....weapon even? I hear that magical things can't be crushed or damaged by doors like this." He paused for a moment. "I mean I guess I could slip in if you both can open it again to see what is inside..."

Pulling his dagger out, Tolan tapped on the door with the blade. "How do you think this opens? There has to be a switch or something on the inside. I wonder if there is anyone alive in there...Hope they are friendly..."

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock

Last edited by Cheshire; Jan 29th, 2023 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,942
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Things of metal. Not of flesh, but thinking and acting alive. They are quite... wondrous..." Gil thought it over while Morgan and Storm pulled at the seam, getting just the least bit of space between the two sides before it snapped shut. "Guess it aint busted then. I ain't got nothin' magic but the hat, we could maybe jus' jam anythin' in there t'keep it open enough ta get a peek. But wait, ya mean like the metal things could hear ya an' talk an' all?"

Feeling like a complete idiot, Gil knocked on the door. "Hello? Anyone there? Ya'll alright? Need any help? Persuasion 9Can we come in?" He repeated everything in Elven, Dwarvish, Orc, and Draconic. Bet it's dwarves, they like metal stuff. Flying orcs, that's all the world needs.


OOCFeel free to offer Help Gil's dice aren't in a good mood.


 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 09:17 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Rushing up as his comrades crack the doors open just a bit, Tolan catches just a glimpse of the space beyond - a dimly lit chamber, probably larger than the one the explorers currently occupy, with no obvious signs of life.

A moment later, Gil tries to encourage some response from anyone within, but gets no result.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 10:01 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 4781
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,283
Storm
Storm listened to Gil talking to the door and laughs.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast(strangedays5e) Storm(Westernmarshes5e) DeathStrike(ebberon 5e) & Shimmer(Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jan 31st, 2023 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is online now
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 31st, 2023
RPXP: 15544
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 9,330
Morgan
right-aligned image

As much as faith Morgan had in her own strength or that of Umberlee, her physique was clearly inferior to that of Storm. And still, they failed when working together to open the door. The primordial woman's arms were the first to give out, and then the apparatus snapped tightly closed, just like it had been before. Difficult... At least they had been able to open the door a little bit, and Tolan who had joined in the meantime inquired whether they could attempt it again and simply wedge something in between before it closed shut once their strength gave out. Although Morgan still felt a thankful feeling in her chest when she looked at the tired halfling, it slightly confounded her when he asked about her belongings as they were very visibly attached to her hip or backpack. "I don't know about a switch, Tolan... I couldn't find one..." The water genasi thought that some sort of switch should have been on both sides of the door if it were to serve much purpose, though her understanding was so little that she rather kept that to herself.

While Morgan kept staring at the door and began to wonder if she couldn't just beat it into shape and make the whole act of opening it easier by creating makeshift handholds, Gil was still contemplating the concept of sentient constructs, and then he asked whether she had met metal people who had talked and listened to her before. "Yes. They were magical..." The primordial healer's soft voice sounded slightly distracted as she hadn't turned around to answer Gil, and as Storm laughed about something or other, Morgan suddenly noticed that the door in front of her wasn't made from any sort of metal at all. It looked similar enough if one didn't pay proper attention, but now that she looked again it was that the majority of the wreck was made from a material that didn't seem to originate from any forges at all, looking like it could be something organic even. Morgan was shocked.

As the genasi was silently contemplating her findings, Gil put the possible presence of living metal people to the test by calling out to them, even trying so in many languages which Morgan did not understand. But still, while she hadn't expected much of an answer anyways, the material of the door and most of the other structures still confounded her and she felt the need to confirm with her pack. "Have you noticed? This... all of this isn't metal at all..." Morgan picked up the staff of the speaker which she had placed next to the door while trying to pull on its seam, and with a simple call to the waves the roil began to surge from the seashells as it surrounded the staff and turned it into a magical weapon. "Do you know... what it could be...?" Although the primordial woman was highly curious about the origins of this wreck and the clue that may lie within the strange material, she was still in a bit of a mood and didn't wait for her pack's analysis before she chose to put the material to the test herself. Not much of a warning readable from her blank expression, Morgan suddenly began to attack the door. After each swing she checked if the material's reaction to getting struck could give her a hint at its substance, but at the same time her goal was to not let this door impede her pack for too much longer.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 10:31 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14988
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,028

Morgan begins to bash at the door, starting at the seam, presumably the weakest point. To an observer this might look ridiculous - pounding away at this material as hard as metal with little more than a branch - but a bit of Umberlee's power flows through Morgan's staff, making it more akin to a warhammer. The door begins to dent, then chip, giving the genasi a better idea of its qualities. It is more brittle than metal, but less than stone. As she breaks some away, Morgan can see that it is layered, like shale. In all, it reminds her most of the shells of mollusks, or perhaps crustaceans, given its flexibity.

Meanwhile, despite the distraction of Morgan's banging, Tolan and Gil find something of interest: on the wall beside the door is a rectangular metal panel, less than six inches per side, now mostly covered in soot, with raised bumps on it, as if hammered from the other side. The bumps don't appear random, but they have no obvious meaning.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:26 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 19086
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,942
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Storm's cackling would have gotten under Gil's skin if he hadn't already felt like a damn fool himself. Looked like it wasn't sky dwarves, nothing answered anyway. "Have you noticed? This... all of this isn't metal at all... Do you know... what it could be...?" "Cain't say as I did, Morgan. I...oops, 'scuse me!" Gil ducked to the side, just out of range of her swings as Morgan went for the most direct route, trying to batter the door down by main force. Chips flew and he held up a hand to shield his eyes.

"Guess yer right, metal don't crack off like that. Ya think this thing is, like, grown instead o' made? Huh, this looks like metal though. Make any sense ta ya, Tolan?" Gil looked at the grimy square by the door and wiped it off with his sleeve.




 


 
__________________
Intermittently slow after March 20. Catching up 6/1-6/4.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3206
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,957
left-aligned image
Tolan moved around Morgna and over to look at the metal square. "When it comes to locks I have not found one I could not crack" He chuckled with a confidence that he hoped masked his nervousness. After helping to clean the panel off the rogue examined the bumps. "Let's see what happens." Tolan poked on of the bumps.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB