Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches > Completed Adventures
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 05:25 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 17469
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,299
Yacht Race
left-aligned image

Schon makes a low noise in her throat, almost a grumble. "Fire magic, huh?" she says. "I'd rather wind or water, but I'll take it." She looks toward the pursuers. "Truth is, they get that close, we probably can't stop 'em. but that doesnt' mean it won't help. Sails first, then ropes on deck, like this net here. After that...well, it's all wood."

OOCThe pirates are still several minutes away or more; the speed difference is not huge. Please let me know if you want to contribute anything to escape efforts or anything else.

 
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 26140
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,515
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"On it, cap'n!" People were usually so negative about structure fires. It was nice to meet someone who saw their potential. Be careful, Gil. Don't burn the forest down, Gil. None of that here.

Gil ran back to the far aft of the Journey, as close to the Fin as he could get, posting himself where the rail might provide a bit of cover. "This is the best gig ever, Morgan!"




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
he/him
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 05:21 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 19999
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,482
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan could see with her very own eyes how the Devil's Fin kept gaining ground and the crew of The Journey prepared itself for battle. She also saw Tolan climbing up the main mast and leaving outside of what sphere of protection she would have been able to give him, yet her thoughts were distracted as Gil had still been talking and offered her an idea to use her divine magic without breaking the restrictions which had been placed on her. Umberlee's own looked at the half-elf blankly, earnestly trying to understand his point. "I... I know her by many names... But I don't know which Schon would know her as..." The primordial blinked slowly as she understood Gil's intent was for her to use her full abilities for the sake of the crew and the pack. Schon had been very clear with her though as she had singled Morgan out before letting her board. No prayers to the Wavemother, no rites, and no worship. If Morgan was to flaunt the powers which had been bestowed on her in response to her faith, it would make no difference by what name she would be exalting the Queen of the Depths in her thoughts as she cast her magic. And as much as Morgan was dismayed at the ruthless and blasphemous stance that Schon took in risking everyone's lives on this ship for the sake of misguided stubbornness, by agreeing to join the voyage under the captain's law, the dutiful genasi felt like she had committed herself to follow this misguided intent. But would I throw away a life just to please the captain...? That was a choice Morgan wasn't ready to make at the moment, but possibly she was able to appease Gil's doubts in her commitment to the pack another way. "Think of the fruits that I harvested before we set out... They contain the favour of my deities... They can heal magically if any in our own require our aid..."

After her meager attempt at easing her packmate's mind, Morgan watched him dart over to Schon who had been leading her ship still in earshot of where they had stood. And it allowed the primordial woman to overhear Gil's proclivity towards fire magic. And she could equally hear Schon's partially favorable response and the implication sent Morgan into contemplation. Water magic...? All of Istishia's children have that affinity... The temperamental half-elf had as soon returned that Morgan hadn't had the time to finish her thoughts, but as she found Gil so enthusiastic to add his fiery abilities to this nautical combat, the water genasi realized at the same time that she had made an error not to discuss the intrinsics of nautical warfare more deeply. And the conflict with Schon had made her overlook who would know of these matters. "Gil... excuse me..." Morgan's green hair flew and weaved after her as she hurried over to the captain's position, ready to make up for her mistaken thinking from before. She regretted her own daftness in that very moment, but when she addressed Captain Schon the emotional turmoil was well enough hidden behind the undine's typical disability to express herself completely. "I... I have powers to produce elemental water or to let it vanish..." In spite of her usual calmness, Morgan's hesitant words spoke of nervous excitement as she felt the burden of these people's lives rest on her shoulders. "Is such magic able to affect the speed of our pursuers...?" Morgan knew of no application to use her own element against the Devil's Fin, but then again she also knew very little about sailing a ship. And furthermore, even as she had been the speaker of her tribe, she hadn't been a leader of her people in warfare. Schon was. "I... Silvanus has blessed me with fruits of healing before we started our voyage..." In a manner it was falsity, yet Morgan hoped that Umberlee's influence in the creation of her healing berries would be invisible to one as sacrilegious as Schon. "If your crew must fight... I have spread many among my pack and I have more myself..." She took one of the thick, fleshy orbs out of the sash which the life cleric had prepared to hold them. "Now I think... should we spread them among your men instead...?" Morgan's question was innocent in its nature, but she still felt guilty to not have thought of this when the timing had been less dire.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 11:22 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 26140
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,515
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Healin's always good. Bustin' 'em up, that's good." Gil was still scanning the Fin for flammables. "If'n ya could make a lotta water, ya could swamp 'em from above. Vanish a lot below, that'd put 'em under. Anythin' else ya can do with water? Wind? Wood maybe? Pop the hull, drop the sails, bust the rudder, anythin' like that."


OOCRequest an appropriate roll for distance and rate of approach.


 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
he/him
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 05:34 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 17469
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,299
Yacht Race
left-aligned image

Gil stares at a the approaching ship for some time, trying to gauge the many factors that will allow him to advise Morgan. He has the time to use, but the task is daunting. The half-elf is of the hills and forests, not the seas and ports. Frustrated, he finally does the obvious, and just asks a nearby crewman.

"She's got about a knot on us, I'd say," the man responds, perhaps grateful to step out of the pressing anxiety in the air and into more intellectual considerations. At Gil's request, he explains that one knot is almost exactly 10 feet per turn, convenientlyadbaweradbuihhbfkhqwedh. "And I'd say she's about a half-mile out, now." A nearby crewman nods his agreement.

OOCVery sorry about the delays! Frankly, I'm not even sure how many and how long. Lots of work. I should be pretty good for the next couple of weeks.

 

Last edited by secretID; Mar 17th, 2022 at 05:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 08:34 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 26140
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,515
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Even with the crewman's help, Gil needed to count on his fingers several times over to work it out. "Dang, really? That's like forever! Well, I guess I ain't shot anybody in a while." He pulled out his crossbow and jammed his case of bolts through his belt.




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
he/him
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 09:59 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 17469
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,299
Yacht Race
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Intrigued by Morgan's report about her water powers, Schon immediately asks several questions. When she learns of the significant limits on this power, though, That's Schon, not me. She may not be as creative as you have been with ideas about ice, etc.she just shakes her head. “I don’t think so,” she concludes. “Probably better off with the fire.”

She is much more positive about the healing magic. “If you’ve got enough,” says the captain, clearly pleased, “by all means. Now’s the time. Unless they change their minds, I expect we’ll soon be at it tooth and nail.”

OOCResponse to Morgan, now that I understand that last post better - I had thought that it was all about past interactions with Schon.

After my big talk about availability, I had a death in the family. Nothing very unexpected, but there have been things to do.

 
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:34 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 19999
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,482
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan dutifully shared the extent of her water magic with Schon and Gil, the only two she was able to consult for the upcoming battle as Tolan had disappeared into the rafters and Storm stood unapproachable at the railing, grumbling his bloodthirst across the waves for the last few minutes while the pirate ship continued its chase at a painfully slow speed. But right now the dragonborn's fear of the sea or rather the sudden lack thereof posed no import to Morgan, who turned between listening to Gil and the captain as the suitability of her abilities for naval warfare were assessed. And while Schon concluded that the life and fire magics were the only upsides that they had, the half-elven male had brought up something that had caught Morgan's attention. "Here, captain... Make your men distribute these. They can save a man's life when it hangs by a thread... but not much more..." And just as soon the primordial cleric handed the sash of healing fruits over to the crew before she turned back to Gil, looking at him intently. "No... the amounts of water that I can influence aren't that impressive... Those are feats befit of higher powers..." Morgan lightly shook her head as she had avoided speaking Umberlee's name but that was not what she was focused on right now. "But you said... to bust the rudder... If I understand correctly it would be in my ability to freeze something of that size..." The ocean-dweller recalled rudimentarily that a rudder was something like a fin at the back of a ship which probably meant it was involved in steering the vessel. She looked between Gil and Schon, wondering if they had just uncovered a use of her elemental powers that wasn't futile. "I can... make ice that will stay solid for a whole hour... would this on a rudder... help us...?"
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 07:36 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 17469
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,299
Yacht Race
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Schon narrows her eyes conspiratorially upon hearing Morgan's idea. "If you can do that - break the rudder, or better yet, freeze it in place - you will win our escape. Can you do that, Miss?" she asks. "And can you do it soon?"

 

Last edited by secretID; Mar 25th, 2022 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 19999
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,482
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan's blank expression wasn't able to give away much, but as Schon pressed her whether she was actually able to lock up the pirate ship's rudder she looked between Gil and the captain before giving her soft-spoken reply. "I... believe that I can... Yes." Escaping was not going to win her any favours with Umberlee, yet even as her fervent follower Morgan was aware of how fickle the Wavemother was and that a battle unfought was not going to faze her in the slightest. If the pirates had reached the ship and attacked the crew, the primordial woman would have answered their folly with hammer and shield. But if such a fate could be avoided entirely, the preservation of lives was certainly the better outcome.

Urged by Captain Schon to not lose any more time, Morgan needed one more thing before she could step into action. "What I cannot... I'm uncertain if I could race The Journey... after my task is done... will you take me back aboard...?" The genasi's green gaze fell onto the vessel's ropes, some of the vastly longer than her own hempen rope that was lying with the rest of her belongings in the belly of the ship. Would these allow me a safe return or would their limited length allow the pirates to come too close? And then her eyes fell back on the bronze dragonborn, where Storm was stiffly staring out across the ocean with his eyes on the Devil's Fin. It didn't occur to Morgan that the prolonged wait for the enemy to complete their chase had forced him to fight his fear of the sea by forcing himself to uphold a mindless fury. To her, he was simply a mystery standing at the railings. A mystery with large, scaley arms, bulging with muscle. But before she could ask him to help with a rope to ensure her safe return to the ship, Morgan needed to have Schon's permission to enact such a plan. She knew every second counted, but she felt uncertain as well, and the quest for hunting the wreck's monster required her not to get left behind now. "Can we... prepare one of these ropes...?"
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Mar 27th, 2022 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 08:24 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 17469
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 17,299
Yacht Race
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
"If you could catch us," muses Schon, "that would be something to see. But rope? We've got plenty of that." She instructs two nearby crewmen to connect some lengths. "You've got a couple hundred feet there," she tells Morgan as she begins to wrap the genasi in a makeshift harness. The crew watch, amazed. "I don't know exactly what you're planning" says the captain, "but godspeed."

 
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 09:38 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 26140
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,515
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil scratched his head, looking at the huge coil of rope. "Huh. We gonna roll all that out behind, s'pose we oughta give them somethin' to look at 'sides rope. Yer crew got bows, Cap'n?" Gil held up his crossbow, a battered wooden stock with two slightly rusty steel arms. "I mean, don't think I could hit a house at as far as that rope goes, but arrows comin' in, that gives folk somethin' ta worry about."

He looked up at Tolan's perch in the rigging. "Tolan! How ya feel about plinking some pirates?"




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
he/him
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 10:08 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 4075
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 2,298
left-aligned image
The halfling was walking across the mast "checking" the rigging. Humming, Tolan knelt down so it looked like he was making sure the knots tied correctly. "All good up here Cap!

The rogue heard Gil call up to him. With a grin he looked down at his ally. "Just waiting for them to get close enough." He stood and gave a heroic pose. "I am Tolan the pirate hunter!"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 10:01 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 19999
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,482
Morgan
right-aligned image

Things were happening quickly upon Morgan's suggestion, and Schon eagerly crafted the surprised genasi a rope harness unlike what she had ever seen done with ropes before. "I... will do... my best!" The green hair waved around her head as she gave a firm nod to the captain. For the sake of besting the Devil's Fin there was no time for animosity, and Morgan could appreciate that Schon was on the same wavelength right now. Moving with the rope slung around her armor and limbs was slightly uncomfortable for the primordial woman as she was doing it for the first time, but as she waddled over to the railing next to Storm, Morgan knew that underwater it would be less in the way.

"Storm. Gil. These ships will escape me if I am to contest their speed..." With her typical blank face, Morgan earnestly made eye contact as she moved to get the two males' attention. She felt that she had the support of The Journey's crew, but with these two meant to be her pack for this quest, she wanted to re-establish some trust with them. The insightful undine was mostly convinced that Gil wouldn't be standing in his own way of his own accord, but she had to make sure if Storm could be more than what he appeared to be. "Please... I will rely on you... and the crew... to not let me drift away... Hold the rope... measure its length well... You will need to give me just enough rope for me to come close to the pirate's rudder fin... Too far, and my magic is for naught..."

Possibly the sailors of The Journey were the better people to speak to for this, but Morgan assumed that they would know their handiwork without any encouragement. And as she had been the speaker of her tribe, for Gil and Storm she hoped that giving them this task personally would possibly give them confidence and unity in a way that the pack badly needed. Not big of a risk... Yet it appears as a task of import... May they rise after receiving responsibility... Morgan didn't feel herself deceitful in asking this of them although they'd be only two of many to guide the rope. It was more of a moment that would have meaning because she bid it to be so. "Help the sailors... I will place my trust in you..." And then she climbed the railing, ready to dive into the waves once everybody, both crew and adventurers, had come into position to support her in this task in whatever way they could.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 10:52 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 6252
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 5,793
Storm Storm looked to the lady confused... "Rope not Pirates? You mean you don't want me to kill pirates?" He asked.

"And I thought Gil was supposed to burn them all dead! " Storm said as the lightening and rage and promise of death began to fade and confusion, soon to be replaced by fear took its place.



ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games:Kaine Strongblade D&D 5e Wildblade? ( pf1e) DarkJustice(M&M3e) see you at my next in game post ...
C.A.T.S. stories: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Apr 1st, 2022 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB