OOC Without a doubt the least original OOC thread name ever. - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Obeisance
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 223
Slolivin Slolivin Slolivin
My sheet is all set. I'm also interested in seeing the sheet for the lycanthrope. The char seems awesome.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14807
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
You realize that I might try to eat you. If you feel the need to go swimming at night, I would love to reenact the scene from Jaws
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Mister President

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1708
Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch
So I was looking through the character sheets and Rosstafar, at the risk of being a killjoy I have to ask, are you sure you can apply the feral template to a Killoren? Killoren are fey, while the feral template says it can be added to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. Fey aren't humanoids (even if they're shaped like them). It also says that the creature's type becomes monstrous humanoid so even if you can add it to a Killoren I'm pretty sure you lose the fey stuff. Also the Special Attacks section seems to say that they are based on your monstrous HD, not your total HD. Since a Killoren doesn't have monstrous HD then you wouldn't get the claws or anything in that chart. Of course, those are only problems if you can even put the template on the race in the first place.

I looked for some errata online but I can't find any. If you did and I am mistaken then I apologize. If Snickersnack said you could apply it and the template requirements be damned then I apologize. As it reads in the book though I don't think it works.

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that Savage Species is a 3.0 book, not 3.5. Having looked at the Feral template I can see why the general consensus on the forums I checked places it at a +3 LA rather than a +1. I mean daaaaamn Rossty, those are some hefty bonuses. If nothing else the fast healing alone is worth the level adjustment. I mean the item Slolivin mentioned that gave the same amount is 300,000 gold. Wow.

Last edited by Alesch; 02-22-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Squalo is up and should be public. Let me know if I forgot something or if anyone has made a lycanthrope before, tell me if it is done correctly. I am still waiting to see if the magical armor I want is approved by the DM

Last edited by Craigthulu; 02-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesch View Post
So I was looking through the character sheets and Rosstafar, at the risk of being a killjoy I have to ask, are you sure you can apply the feral template to a Killoren? Killoren are fey, while the feral template says it can be added to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. Fey aren't humanoids (even if they're shaped like them). It also says that the creature's type becomes monstrous humanoid so even if you can add it to a Killoren I'm pretty sure you lose the fey stuff. Also the Special Attacks section seems to say that they are based on your monstrous HD, not your total HD. Since a Killoren doesn't have monstrous HD then you wouldn't get the claws or anything in that chart. Of course, those are only problems if you can even put the template on the race in the first place.

I looked for some errata online but I can't find any. If you did and I am mistaken then I apologize. If Snickersnack said you could apply it and the template requirements be damned then I apologize. As it reads in the book though I don't think it works.
Unfortunately I think he's right. Feral has to be on a humanoids.
Quote:
“Feral creature” is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid
For the claws, I think he gets them since they are just based on size. But the special attacks(pounce, rake, etc) and qualities (darkvision & fast healing) are based on monster HD which he has 0 and the lowest bonuses start at 1.
Quote:
It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its monster Hit Dice, plus all those in previous rows.
Which is a bummer because I just put an app in for another game with the feral template hoping to use those cool additions. At least I still get the other cools stuff, claws, speed, ability scores and natural armor which are pretty awesome.

Last edited by Slolivin; 02-22-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
For the Item designed by Me I was hoping for wild chain mail, +1 if possible.

For the item designed by you I was hoping for a cloak made of needles that could do AoE damage around me, maybe like a d6 or d8 in a ten foot radius. Reflex save to half. Also if the cloak gave bonuses to control shape and stayed with me when I transformed that would be huge plus.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Moosen!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 146
GetSomeLeaves GetSomeLeaves
So I had a question. What happens if you get damaged and involuntarily change when you're not around water?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Mister President

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1708
Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch Alesch
@Craigthulu - Your armour will probably get okay-ed, since Nature's Finest is actually better than that (Being a breastplate and having the extra oomph of Druidic Power). There's actually a cloak pretty similar to what you're describing in the MIC. The Cloak of Quills I believe. I'm not sure if it sticks with you when you transform though, I have no idea how Lycanthropes' transformations treat their equipment.

@GetSomeLeaves - Bad things. Not TERRIBLE things, since he can change back on his action (I believe) but changing is (I believe) a standard action. Turning into a fish and losing your legs probably makes you go prone. Effectively, if poor Squalo fails his Control Shape check he is somewhere between dazed and stunned on the "Oh crap bad things" chart.

Last edited by Alesch; 02-22-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I am aware of the water problem but being a street shark was just to cool to pass up. I am going to minimize the danger by going for a large amount of health so losing a quarter of my health will be tricky, and by maxing out control shape. Hopefully this will keep me alive so that I can kill the humans.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Curious to see the ruling on the items we're waiting for, the decision on feral and of course getting started. Cheers to having fun all, can't wait.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I am waiting on the DM to see if I still get the bonus feat and skill points a human does, lycanthropes get the shapechanger sub type so I am not sure if I should apply the racial bonuses for being human.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Not sure when lycanthrope kicks in, but could you be a human at lvl 1, get your bonuses, then get afflicted? I don't know how all that works...

Poor DM. He's going to come back to all these questions
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I am not sure exactly either, the extra feat would be nice. It is all up to the DM
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 AM
dilige et quod vis fac

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8103
ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesch
... are you sure you can apply the feral template to a Killoren?
Short answer: no. Long answer: the concept seemed awesome at the time, so I applied with it anyway. If the template is going to be unbalanced, or if Snickersnack hadn't noticed the humanoid requirement and would like to go with the letter of the law I'm perfectly happy to drop it from the sheet.

Snickersnack: If you like the idea of a feral forest sprite but feel the template as written is too powerful I'm happy to work with you on a homebrewed version of something with a similar flavor. What's the point of playing a game in your imagination if you can't make up some rules of your own, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesch/Slolivin
Special Attacks section seems to say that they are based on your monstrous HD
This is spot on. I've never actually used this template before, so I may have missed the distinction between monster HD and class HD as I was reading. Thanks. This is actually kind of ambiguous. The entry refers to the abilities as dependant on Hit Dice and monster Hit Dice on separate occasions. (Within, like. 1 sentence of each other too.) So I think that's another one of those "up to the DM's reading" sort of things.

Also, on an interesting note. In 3.0/SS I don't think that monster Hit Dice even existed. Instead they were monster classes were they not?
Quote:
It might be worth mentioning that Savage Species is a 3.0 book, not 3.5.
Yes, it is. However, SS was on the list of accepted (encouraged?) material in the applications thread. So the assumption on my part was that using material from it with 3.5 material wasn't going to be frowned upon.

Quote:
Rosstafar. Rossty.
Just Ross is fine

Last edited by ByronBulb; 02-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Whiffling Through

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 545
Snickersnack Snickersnack Snickersnack Snickersnack Snickersnack Snickersnack
Gee whiz, gov, can't give a gal a break. By the way: enough of this male pronoun stuff. I'm in a male dominated position, but that won't change the truth. So, I am on my iphone at work... The other waitress is giving me a funny look, and it is getting busy. I,ll get back to you at arond 4pm.