Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44
Dakar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack962289
I would say, YES it is possible. And no it does not get a reflex save. You are in its mouth, it cannot move out of the way or anything. And it cannot see what you are doing so it could not spit you out. Now after you breath fire on it, it will probly spit you out.
Hypothetically, the lion could cough out the pixie the moment it feels the fire/heat from the fire. If it coughs the pixie out fast enough, the lion would take only half damage from the potion.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1
ticattack
And if it doesn't... Well, the pixie's in an eclosed space which is filled with fire. Could be an ouchie...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Great Wyrm
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
MonkWren
Answering Spartan's question about Monks: Unless the rules specifically state that the threat range increases, it stays the same, as with any other weapon.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
tacomannerism
Yeah, I realized that after I posted it, but didn't have a way to move it there (that I know of?) Sorry and thanks for the answer.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Lanthar Mandragoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
This belongs in the Ask the Sage thread, but to answer your question, you roll for each character you want to Tumble past without provoking an AoO.
Um, wrong.

Quote:
DC15 Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
One Tumble Check per enemy, in the order that you pass them, with a +2 DC increase for each additional enemy.

Last edited by Lanthar Mandragoran; 02-22-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Lanthar Mandragoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar
The Monk Belt in the DMG states that a character gains the unarmed attack and the AC bonus of a 5th level monk. Does this mean that they then gain the monk abillity to add their WIS modifier to their AC as per a 5th level monk?
Quote:
Nah, just the damage and class-based AC bonuses. I'm using the belt in a game right now...
You want to post proof of that 'clarification'? It flies right in the face of the actual wording of the class feature. The WIS modifier is included in the 'AC Bonus'.

Quote:
AC Bonus (Ex)

When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 PM
That's What She Said.

Tools
User Statistics
Spartan
Quote:
Check separately for each opponent you move past
Um. I think you just proved yourself wrong by quoting that. But you're right about the AC thing.

Last edited by Spartan; 02-22-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Lanthar Mandragoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frats
If you drank a Potion of Firebreath, and are then grappled by a lion who holds you in its mouth, does it get a reflex save if you breath on it?
( this is a Small Sprite being grappled by a Large Horrid Lion here... )

( both from the RP and the rules point of view, if possible... )
Without having a link to the exact wording of the spell that you want to look at, you should consult All About Grappling (Part 2).

Quote:
A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components, so you can use one while grappling. To do so, you must succeed on a Concentration check; the DC for the check is exactly the same as it would be if you were casting a spell. See Rules of the Game for more information on spell-like abilities.
Realize that a Breath Weapons are "supernatural abilities except where noted."

Part 2 and Part 4 (Monsters and Grappling) are silent on the issue. However, one can assume it should be treated like a spell-like ability.

Please note that Grappling (even using your mouth) is NOT the same as Swallowed Whole, therefor unless your DM rules othewise, firebreath (along with reflex saves or anything else) would be treated EXACTLY as the potion states, no more, no less. If the spell says 'gets a reflex save' then it gets a reflex save, if the spells says 'no reflex save allowed' then there is no reflex save allowed. Period.

Note that penalty to 'reflex saves' is NOT a consequence of grappling.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Lanthar Mandragoran
Quote:
Um. I think you just proved yourself wrong by quoting that. But you're right about the AC thing.
Oops, I stand corrected. Please note, however that the DC gets harder by +2 for each additional enemy.

After looking at it, I realized why I never noticed. The only 'tumbling past multiple enemies' I've ever done is with a Thief Acrobat and they 'can take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent [them] from doing so.'

Last edited by Lanthar Mandragoran; 02-22-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
tacomannerism
Question regarding the "FLY" natural ability:
quote from SRD:
"A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) All fly speeds include a parenthetical note indicating maneuverability"

Does this mean that if the creature is carrying more than a light load they are unable to fly? or merely unable to fly as quickly? (i.e., they spend more energy keeping keeping themselves up, and not as much moving forward)

Last edited by tacomannerism; 02-23-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Amnistar
OKay, here's one that i'm curious about. Does racial level come into play when considering wealth for a higher starting level? That is to say, would a 5th level fighter get the same amount of money as a 1st level pixie (with +4 LA)?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
She's a genius.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6023
Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha
I have never seen an official ruling on this. It's really ambiguous. As a DM, I'd say that your maneuverability decreases by one category when carrying a medium load, and again for a heavy load.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
That's What She Said.

Tools
User Statistics
Spartan
I would say that it depends on how you fly. If you've got wings and a low strength, you simply may not have the muscle strength to take to the air with a medium or heavy load. If you are flying through magical means, I would do what Medesha says.

Last edited by Spartan; 02-23-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
tacomannerism
so... it's not answered definitively anywhere? I heard that Large non-quadrapeds double their lifting ability. anyone know where this is written?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3467
Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar
Taco - From the SRD:
Quote:
Quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than characters can. Instead of the multipliers given above, multiply the value corresponding to the creature’s Strength score from Table: Carrying Capacity by the appropriate modifier, as follows: Fine x1/4, Diminutive x1/2, Tiny x3/4, Small x1, Medium x1-1/2, Large x3, Huge x6, Gargantuan x12, Colossal x24.
Closed Thread