Game Thread Prologue - Golden days. - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > The many faces of Vesta
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Apr 12th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Halfling Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52
Delvarian
Cali's green eyes open wide as Jingtian holds up his locket. "Ooh, a mystery, I love a good mystery. I bet that symbol means your a a a a prince or a dragon or something. Can I have a look at it?."

Cali then waves to Myuu, before Jingtian even has a chance to answer. "I've never met a kobold before, this is very exciting. My great uncle met a kobold, well not really met, they just tryed to kill each other. " Cali suddenly frowns. " Oh! Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I mean I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding between them. Anyway good to meet you."

Cali's attention is then caught by Golan and Khale. " Don't worry Golan, I'm sure this is a misunderstanding as well, nothing to blow your top about, as my uncle used to say. I do owe Khale a song, lets see if I remember the words.."

Cali starts to strum her lute.

When the weather was cold
And all the world asleep
The elves set out a ship
For to long had they been old

Yet one was left alone
For he had fell behind
With thoughts of hearts desire
Whose death he must atone

Traveling through the snow
With nothing for to guide
He came upon a stream
Of which he didn't know

Last edited by Delvarian; Apr 13th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1291
xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire
Khale makes a rude gesture to Golan, then gets up and heads over to the serving woman, who had just reappeared with his drink. "About time." He grabs his drink and leaves the room, not even bothering to turn back.

Morton shakes his head. "How rude. Not to worry, I will make sure he is on his best behaviour tomorrow. For now, enjoy the party - I am withdrawing for the night."

There is a sudden flare of dancing lights, and a few screams from the more excitable women, and at least one man (you assume it is the steward). The lights slowly dim, and little globes of mutlicoloured light floats and dance in the air. Morton, however, is gone.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Golan/Elliseth

Tools
User Statistics
brisub
Muttering beneath his breath, Golan makes a silent vow to keep an eye on this Khale scoundrel, for he didn't trust him more than he could throw him In fact, he didn't trust him as far as he could throw him. "P'raps a hammer to the gob will fix those manners," he grunted, before calming down a little as the girlie -Wait! not a girlie, but a grown woman- shifted into another song.

Eyes riveted on their diminutive musician, Golan sidled toward the serving girl and said, "Sommat of a mug of ale, missus." Unlike some of those present, he had manners. Of a sort, anyway...

Last edited by brisub; Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wrong brackets for this forum again <>
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 02:45 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire xenavire
A serving woman quickly brings Golan a pint of ale. She smiles and winks at him, before hurrying off in the direction of the kitchen.

As Golan displays a nack for drinking pints of ale, the party slowly winds down. As the servants busy themselves with tidying, everyone decides to retire for the night.

-------------

After an uneventful night, you are awoken by knocking at your doors. "Morton wishes to see you directly after your meal, your service starts today."
The voice is that of the steward, but he moves on before you get out of bed. You all see brand new clothes sitting at the end of your bed, next to your old clothing - all of which have been cleaned, and repaired where needed. Someone obviously was in your rooms in the night to clean up, but none of you had noticed anything. It also appears the clothing had been washed using magic, something that seems somewhat extravagant.

You all meet in the dining room to eat, and see a somewhat hungover looking Khale sitting, staring into a plate of freshly baked bread and high quality cheese. He looks tired, and his face looks ashen and pale. He doesn't react to any of you entering, and you don't see him moving to eat.

The morning meal passes somewhat quietly as you all ponder the coming task. Some of you feel excited, and some of you even show it, while some are more anxious, and fidget nervously.

Finally, everyone finishes thier meals, and get ready to go see Morton. All except Khale that is, who hasnt moved. A servant comes over to you and bows. "This way, thank you. I will lead you to the College wing, and the steward will lead you from there."

Khale still doesn't move, and the servant looks over at him. "Sir?" she calls out to him. He still doesn't move. "Mister Khale?"
She moves over to him, and puts a hand on his arm. "Mister Khale, you are expected-"
She doesn't get to finish. Khale jerks back, and shouts at her. "Stop harping on, woman, I heard you the first time!"
He spits on her feet, and turns back to his food. "I will come when I am damn well ready. Get lost."

The servant looks upset, but walks back towards you. "Very well, Mister Khale will be along shortly. I will alert the steward, and he will come collect him personally."

She walks towards the nearest door, and waves for you to follow her. "We have no time to waste, come with me."
Moving down a hallway, she start to lead you into a part of the palace you have not seen before. Lots of closed doors line the hallways, and the few open ones have people studying, or practicing what you can only assume are cantrips.

Stopping beside a staircase, she turns to you. "The steward is waiting up these stairs. I will inform him that you are here." She quickly rushes upstairs, and after a short wait, she reappears. She bows to you, and turns to leave. "Good luck."

You move single file up the short spiral staircase. It only leads up one floor, and stops in front of a door. The steward can be heard muttering on the other side, but you can't make out what he is saying. He quickly stops muttering, and the door swings open. You see the steward, a smile on his face, looking much more cheerful than the previous evening.
"Master Morton is waiting behind this door. He has asked me to explain a few things, but I am afraid I have to deal with Khale. I have asked him to explain it to you in my place. If you would go through this door, he is expecting you. Excuse me." He bows, and decends down the stairs.

You all shift nervously, trying to summon up the courage to go in. Golan grunts, and moves towards the door, but is beaten by a smirking Cali, who laughs and opens the door.

Inside you see a rather mundane room, very large, but plain, very similar to the rooms you slept in the previous night. The only difference was rather obvious - a large set of runes inscribed in the marble floor.
Morton sits at a desk, with his white cat sitting next to him. Morton is engrossed in a book, and doesn't seem to notice you enter.

You all shuffle in quietly, and look at each other in confusion. What exaclty is going to happen?

"Just a moment. I will explain momentarily." Morton hasn't moved, but he obviously aware that you have arrived. He turns a page in his book, makes a note on a scrap of paper, and closes the book with a sigh. "Come Twinkles, it's time."

He turns and looks at each of you in turn. "Khale should be here shortly. For now, I will explain what we are doing."

He stands, and picks up the white cat. He makes a few motions over the cat with one hand, and mutters a few phrases under his breath. "The final ward is set."

He places the cat in the middle of the runic patterns. "Sleep." With a wave of his hand, and a word of power, the cat settles into a deep sleep within seconds.

"We will be attempting an auto-sonic attunement, mixed with ancient incantations that I have modified, to try a unique familiar empowering..."

Seeing your confused faces, he laughs. "Let me put it in more simple terms." He points to the cat. "You will be doing some chanting, which should resonate with my spell, and the end result should be that my familiar, Twinkles, should become smarter and stronger. I couldn't do this alone, and the mages here are incompatible, their magical auras are far too powerful. My aura will overpower all of your own auras however, and I have placed a blocking spell in the walls to deaden any passing auras."

"Before we continue, do you have any questions?"

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Halfling Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Delvarian
Cali looks at Twinkles then at Morton before speaking.
"The obvious question would be to ask, why? For what reason do you wish to empower and smarten up Twinkles?"
Cali then looks around at everyone else.
"This also seems like an odd assortment of helpers, no offense to anyone. Seems like any number of things could go wrong, and from what I've read when things go wrong with powerful magic, things go horribly wrong."
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
Morton smiles. "You are a sharp one. Yes, things can go wrong, thats why all you will be doing is chanting a single word. As I was saying about the auras, I need mundane auras, and you all fit the bill. Even our friend Simon - he knows what I am talking about."

He looks at you seriously, one by one. "I have analyzed this several times, and I have failed a few times with interesting results, but nothing dangerous. One time I was asleep for two days, another time the clothes I was wearing transported onto the roof of the palace - without me. The steward had a fit - and I still haven't gotten them back." He gives a grin, like it was the biggest joke in the world.

"I have finished my formula, and the incantation is perfect, or as near perfect as I can get it. I will make sure you are suitably warded against harm as well - it would do me no good if you were to die or be horribly maimed."

He chuckles, as though the thought of death and maiming was a big joke.

"As for your other question, the poster that lead you here should be enough. It is an experiment, nothing more. I am the most advanced familiar crafter and enhancer alive, and why shouldn't I explore more possibilities?"

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Golan/Elliseth

Tools
User Statistics
brisub
"Th' only thing that can go wrong," Golan clarified, as he wished to help the diminutive musician along, "is fer there nae t' be gold when it's payin' tyme. Th' rest o' this is wizard's werk an' easy chantin'." In other words, what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by brisub; Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Lone shadow.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23
Chopstixzz
"We are all here for a reason, if this is what we have to do to get what we want, so be it. " Jingtian replied.

"As long as you won't hurt any of my..." Jingtian looks at the others, then faces the floor. "Friends..."

Still staring at the floor, afraid to see the others reactions, a question pops in his mind "I do have one question though, the runes, what do they mean?"

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM
With my loyal pet pig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46
Myútsú
Myuu glares angrily at Morton. "Don't you dare hurt Kira!" Myuu says in an angry tone.
Piggy hides in Myuus quiver, scared by the tone of Myuus voice.

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
"Never fear, I don't intend to let anyone be hurt."

He turns to Jingtian, and grins. "Another sharp one! A very good question, very good indeed. You see, the outer circle is a protective one, and the rest are designed to influence the magic, to channel it, or alter it, in order to control how much magic reaches Twinkles at any one time. Too much at once could harm him, but you don't have to worry, I will be in control of the flow, you need only chant."
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zucht
Xuejian listen to the answers of everyones questions and slowy says "Why do you want to do this?"
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Golan/Elliseth

Tools
User Statistics
brisub
Oblivious to the question of Xuejian, Golan snorts, "Th' roons dinnae matter - 'tis jus' writin' on th' floor. Wot matters is gettin' paid." Magic was never something that interested any of the dwarves that Golan had known, so he couldn't care less about what was to come. Aside from the food and drink, of course.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:12 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
Ignoring Golan's comment, Morton looks at Xuejian, and rubs his chin. "Well that's a tricky one. I could just say 'Why not?'... But that doesn't explain anything does it?"

He moves back to his chair, and thumbs through the book. "Here... A familiar is like an extension of a wizards being. They bond, and share their experiences. A wizard does not need a familiar, however. But a bond, once formed, is so powerful, that once broken, can inflict great harm to either party."

He pauses, and has a look of pain on his face. "My many experiments have shown me these sorts of pain, although Twinkles has never died. He is my one and only familiar, but the backlash from experimenting has more than once severed our bond temporarily."
He smiles, but this smile is sad, and his usual handsome face is shadowed by pain and fear.

"Let's just say, that my research started in the search of a method to protect other mages from this pain... Now that search has become an obsession, having tasted the pain, I do not wish it on another."

He shakes his head sadly. "Many might think me a fool, but I only wish for the best, to protect and shield others..."

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Lone shadow.

Tools
User Statistics
Chopstixzz
"Fair enough..." He looks over his shoulder "Now where's Khale? Can't you use any of your magic tricks to "poof" him in here?"
"I don't mind the wait though..." He eyes the whole room, the runes, the walls, they seem so familar...

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:35 PM
<3 M

Tools
User Statistics
"Why, you are on fire today! Well, figuratively speaking. Yes, on a normal day I could 'poof' him in here, but as I mentioned, I have placed wards on the walls to block magic and magical auras. But not to worry, the steward is more than capable, he will be here any second, I gaurantee it. And Khale will be with him, or he will have been ejected out of the palace by some angry guards."

He grins again, losing all signs of his somber mood. Still looking at Jingtian, his gaze flickers away from Jingtians face, and his expression shifts.
"Here, whats that pendant around your neck? That looks familiar... Oh, I know I have seen it before, but where?"

He looks thoroughly puzzled, and falls silent. A calm falls over the room, and Morton starts pacing. Back and forth, back and forth. The room is becoming tense, and everyone is acutely aware of how quiet it is. A question to break the silence would be a godsend.

Last edited by xenavire; Apr 14th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.