RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27169
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Yes. He wanted to see how people would take an ugly gordian knot and try to cut it (or swing it like a club, or convince him that it's not really a knot, or whatever).
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 03:32 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10846
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Gordian knot?

Hmm....

Oh. Ok.

Now I’ve learned something new. Thanks,Wyn.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43573
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Did anyone solve the Gordian knot? I'm or if you prefer, a frayed knotafraid not.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:48 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
The literal Gordian knot that was 'vanquished' by Alexandar the great or the "Gordian knot" presented by Wyn? Cause if it's the latter then I must say, "ouch", " that's ominous.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30816
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Thanks to Wodine, Wyn., and Squeak and others, who made this possible!!!

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 27th, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 08:21 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Aren't you included in the "others" section?
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Hahaha yes I suppose, but they worked very hard and spent a considerable amount of their time on this.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 01:40 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
I haven’t been able to read all the 5e threads yet but do you have any favored moments on that side?

For the PF I liked how Gaijin had the boat token for round 1. I’ve never seen one used before and that was rather advantageous.
He wasn’t really effective but it was kind of amusing how OneDarkness’s character kept throwing millions of bombs at the Wyverns.
And it was rather awe-inspiring when Antipode felled the kobold queen in one turn.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27169
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
The results are in!

The Champion has been crowned, and the victor has claimed the spoils. The results are posted in the Final Judgments thread. This was a close one!

Congratulations, all, and thanks for participating! I enjoyed every round this year, and I look forward to seeing what everyone produces next year.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Aug 28th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Congratulation!!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Woo, one point! Crazy.

Huge congrats, Qiksilv!
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Destroyer of Worlds

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4366
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Grats Qiksilv!

Both Oztk and Qiksilv, It was a pleasure playing with you. Hope we have a chance to play together again in the future at a less hectic and sleep depriving pace.

=]✠[= Under Sanguine Oath =]✠[=

Last edited by Zinrokh; Aug 29th, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Saw the results just before I was heading to bed last night, only now read the feedback. But first, I was too burned out to answer

Qiksilv's questionsFavorite question was Squeak's, no doubt. But I have to confess to Mifflewerf that I was embracing the constraints, not trying to weasel out of them (felt too risky feeling!): the hyphens in the goblin word were just how Ikol had written the word, and apparently you're supposed to use them in numbers? But that's just a personal love of that Oulipo constraint stuff. Nuns fret not, and all that, to be a bit closer to the source.

I was irrationally irritated by Ophelya and her question, which may have, ahem, spilled out into my answer.

A few favorite moments on the 5e side: Learning that sharks have blindsense, everything about Nilbogs in the combat round, my whole group's sacrifices the third round.

Question of my own in those regards: To what degree did you two "play the judges" with your answer -- both the 'in character judge' and the actual OOC human behind them? I found playing the "in character" judges much easier (though I did mess this up a bit), I really only had any sense of roughly half the OOC judges, and even then not sure I could really play them -- though on reflection Wyn's 2017 Outplay character may have influenced my answer to his question a bit?

And, I'm spoilering my own discussion -- I don't think it's ranting, or particularly negative: I talk about what I might have done differently a lot, to learn/analyse/navel-gaze, and because I can't control other people, and I can't control what the other players did. But from experience, sometimes people read a subtext of "I would have won if only I did blah blah blah, you didn't do that great" into this, which I'm not trying to say at all -- Qiksilv had Tobias best positioned for this round I think, wrote great, and best of all genuinely surprised me (I was thinking Khelben would make a push and possibly take over at the end).

Only downside of missing out the win by one point is that now I'll be tempted to play Outplay again, and can I really spare the time?

Repeating myself now, but: Judges and other players can't be thanked enough, so thanks again!

Last edited by oztk; Aug 29th, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 11:06 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Loved your OOC posts and Ill try and respond when I get more than a stolen minute at work.

Thanks everyone
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 02:51 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
I was surprised the points werenít a little more evenly spread too. Not that Iím complaining . Winning by one point is a classic but not Iím in the opposite position as Oztk; now that Iíve won once I have to wonder if itís worth going through the stress to try again. I guess weíll see next year

I tried to take into account what the judgeís characterís primary motivation was (like kokabiel was law), at least a little, but really didnít try to play too much at all. I mostly just tried to act how Tobias would have regardless of who was talking to him.

I enjoyed both of your characters; if Zinrokh had been nominated already for PotM and Otzk hadnít I would have had no problem picking one of his instead. The only thing I (personally) didnít like about either character were the Ďfourth wallí breaks (including the references to the Hobbit) but I wouldnít fault either player for those. If I was judging I would not have let those affect my scores because though they felt weird to me they fit both of your characters well and didnít detract from the writing at all. There were even times when I found I enjoyed them more than I thought I would have, again, because they were fun and complimented your character choices.

Personal preference on styles aside Iím very proud to have competed with two amazing players and hope weíll play again sometime; even if itís with the same characters.

@Squeak - i wrote a triplet? I didnít know honestly. I just tried to write something that sounded like it flowed ok and didnít pay any attention to syllables. Iím glad my shot in the dark world of poetry landed somewhere it was mildly appreciated

i was actually worried when we got to the motivation question since I had effectively eliminated my primary motivations in the last round. Tobias originally wanted to exorcize his soul-buddy and Khelben wanted to assassinate one of the Nine. After the last sacrifice Tobias found that maybe he really could live with Khelben and the lich decided he might be able to be a better helper for Tobias to help them both live a longer life.

As far as Khelben taking control I actually had a scroll that would have allowed me to become a Lich for a short period of time that I had specifically in case it felt like Khelben needed to be in total control; mostly at the end. The issue with that is that itís hard to cooperate when youíre a semi-murderous evil person and when Khelben met Rostamoinen he had already promised to play nice. In addition to the fact that it felt like it would be hard to make that happen and present the character in a way to not corrupt my narrative; which would effectively sabotage my own attempt at winning.

My only regret so far from all of this is that I didnít get a PotM nomination. Maybe I will have to play next year so I can make that happen

What happens now? Do I get one of those badge things?