Shadowrun A Light Shining in Darkness - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 6th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4249
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
A Light Shining in Darkness

Game NameA Light Shining in Darkness
Game SystemShadowrun 5e
ThemeShadowrun for "Good Guys"
FlavourSlightly less dark cyberpunk
Plot Summary
Our decker has gone AWOL, so if anyone can whip up a decker for this campaign really quick, we have a spot open!

"A light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
~John 1:5

Seattle in 2081 is full of darkness. Crime, pollution, corruption, violence. It has a way of eating at your soul, bringing you down to its level. It chews people up and spits them back out on the street to start the process with someone new. Most Shadowrunners see this as an opportunity, profiting off the ruthlessness of their fellow man. But you seek to fight back.

Maybe you've always been an idealist, looking for ways to help those around you. Maybe you had a revelation later in life that you could be more than what you were. Or maybe you've had one too many close calls, and figure it's time to start building some credit with the man upstairs. Whatever the case, you're looking to help clean up the streets of Seattle; and right now, the streets are filthy.

left-aligned image
On the front lines of this fight is Brother Kevin Vawter. A retired Shadowrunner, he started the New Life Mission and Salvation Kitchen in South Tacoma, near Puyallup. Some say he hit a big payday and is trying to buy his way into heaven, while other rumors say the whole operation is a front for a criminal enterprise. Maybe, just maybe, he's the real deal. Whatever the case, he has a seemingly inexhaustible network of contacts for getting things done and helping people out. And somehow you ended up in his Rolodex.

Theme: This game is intended to allow players to play "good guys" that would otherwise not be appropriate for the standard Shadowrunner crew. You'll still lie, cheat, and steal (maybe even kill) to be sure, but it'll be for a good cause.
Characters: Characters should have some kind of drive to do good, but they don't have to be choir boys. Restrictive Codes of Honor and religious convictions are welcome. Qualities like Revels in Murder or Better to be Feared Than Loved are probably not.
Character Creation: Use standard Priority generation, or Sum-to-Ten. You may use karma point buy, but only if you include at least a draft of your character sheet in your application.

Given the nature of the campaign, rewards are likely to lean more toward karma than cash, so plan accordingly.
Posting Rate: 2+/week.
Players: 5-6
Deadline: Jan 21

ApplicationRunner Name/Real Name:
Metatype:
Role: (Decker, Summoner, Infiltrator, Face, etc.)
Build: List your priority selection. If you're using karmagen, include a draft of your character sheet (at least your attributes, key skills, and key gear/magical tradition/adept powers). Bonus points if you include a draft for priority-built characters as well. This isn't set in stone yet, but I want to be able to tell more broadly what you can and can't do.
Appearance: A picture is preferable, but at least a description of what other people are seeing.
Backstory: 2-3 paragraphs about where you came from, and what motivates you.
Role-Play Sample: Give me a short scene in which your character demonstrates one of his/her strengths.

Alternatively, if you've played Shadowrun on here before, you can link me to a post you're proud of.
Experience Level: How familiar are you with the rules and the setting? Newbies are OK, but at least understand the basics of how to do your job.

PlayerCharacterRoleStatus
KerchunkSararimanDeckerComplete
MrjoeganglesClutchWheelman/FaceComplete
pocketroidSilvertoothTechnomancerComplete
GleefulNihilismRudeStreet SamComplete
RunetideRed RabbitSamurai/FaceComplete
taleteller50HoodSniperComplete
PopCultureBardShatterInfiltratorWithdrawn
TrinitySerenityMage (Illusionist)Complete
UngainlyFoolShepherdMuscle/FaceComplete
AlphaZGraceHealerComplete
Sir SwindleLancelotStreet SamComplete
SilkMauBounty HunterComplete
AlphaZOverdriveRiggerComplete

Last edited by RainyDayNinja; May 12th, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Semper Fi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 757
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
Very Interested. I have a decker that I built using the lifepath method. Would you prefer it if I redid it using straight karma?
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
Very Interested. I have a decker that I built using the lifepath method. Would you prefer it if I redid it using straight karma?
I don't have any experience with that method, so yeah, I'd prefer you recreate it with one of the listed methods.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9951
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Hey are you allowing variant metatypes?

I was thinking an Oni (orc metatype variant) Adept who used to be a Bunraku doll before she was 'rescued' by allies of Brother Kevin Vawter. They couldn't find her original memories from the mess that the Personafix chips had made of her head, but they were able to assemble her a personality that was free and her own person. She works with them because she wants to do something meaningful with her life and maybe reconstruct who she was before she was kidnapped. Oni are kinda stand out, you know? Someone had to have known her... before.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Semper Fi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 757
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
Application
Runner Name: Sarariman (Matrix persona) [mark]
Metatype: Human
Role: Decker
Build: It was very easy to convert over from Lifepath to a straight karma build, I even had a few points left over. Buying gear always gets a little ticky-tack towards the end so that may be a work in progress right up until the closing date.
TLDR version
Attributes: 320
Active Skills: 282
Knowledge Skills: 20
Qualities: -1
Resources: 160
Contacts: 11
Unspent (so far): 8

Appearance: Mike is a human male who stands about six feet tall or maybe a bit more. Far from musclebound, he is nevertheless fit with a clear complexion that suggests that he gets regular excercise and has a diet that is mostly free of soy. He dresses in a laid-back business casual manner that has been the norm in Seattle for almost a century. He carries himself with confidence, has a ready smile, and is comfortable around others.

Sarariman is a quiet brooder. He slouches when standing up and hunches over when he's sitting down. He wears dark hoodies and other concealing attire even when it's inappropriate. He avoids eye contact and answers questions with as few words as possible.

Backstory: Growing up as a human in Portland's equivalent of the Ork Underground was about as fun as it sounds. My Russian-Armenian parents were both just this side of Awakened and ran a little talismonger shop. I never got a straight answer out of them as to why we lived there but I think that's where our family had always lived and they were just too set in their ways to move out when the trogs moved in. I got picked on enough that I only went out when I had to so, of course, the Matrix became my real neighborhood and first-person shooters were my thing. I was wiz at Johannesberg Nights and when that started to die out, I jumped over to Longhaul IV where I only dropped out of the top 5 on the Unlimited leaderboard twice.

Once the parental unit realized that I didn't have any magical talent and couldn't take over the family biz, they drop kicked me in the direction of the University of Oregon. I thought I'd become this wiz game designer but by the end of my first year, corporate espionage and military applications of the Matrix had stolen my heart. I left U of O with a Ducks jersey and a piece of paper that said I was officially smart. The think tank Analytical Services, Incorporated agreed and hired me before my shoes were scuffed. I learned alot there but it didn't take me long to see the rotten underbelly of ASI. Our Findings Reports always seemed a little off and by doing no small amount of digging, I found out that several executives were lining their pockets with Evo cred. A little bird - coincidentally enough - dropped the relevant data on the UCAS and after the dust settled, I took a golden parachute from the think tank and was out on my own. During the fallout, the board of directors for ASI were hot to find the whistleblower who'd brought the roof down so I got out of town.

Now I live in Seattle. The first friend I made here in the Emerald City runs a shelter for mundane animals. She gets by with tenacity and hard work but relies heavily on donations and volunteers. Her passion for the animals is infectious though, so I do what I can to support her. Mostly with nuyen but occasionally I pull a shift feeding and cleaning up after anything that I think won't bite me. The nuyen? I do some independent contract work for startups and some of the smaller companies in and around Seattle. And when I'm not doing any of the above, I... volunteer... at a soup kitchen down in Tacoma.

Role-Play Sample:
right-aligned image

Sarariman weaved his way through the crowd at Soybucks. Street kids rubbed elbows with corp wage slaves inside the coffee shop as a cold, slashing rain chased SINner and SINless alike indoors. Unless they had a very good reason to be outside, the citizens of Seattle were all doing their best to stay warm and dry.

The decker made his way to one of the few remaining seats available and the only one that put his back to a wall. He set down his caramel Soykaccino as though it were a holy artifact and brought up the camera feeds that he'd hacked into earlier. It would be out of character for the dour Sarariman to admit but he was still high-fiving himself mentally for landing this gig. He had been on double decker runs before but this was the first time that he would be working with two other deckers on the same job. CraZZZeee was taking a group of hitchhikers on a foundation run, TwoPointOne was there with him as a lifeline and for point security, and Sarariman was on the outside looking in.

Sar nursed his still-too-hot beverage as he thought about his fellow deckers. They were the epitome of shadowrunners. They screamed rebellion, toughness, and independence right down to their names. He often thought that he should have chosen a more edgy handle; Sarariman seeming flat by comparison. But his name had a purpose and that purpose was concealment. He wasn't shaking his fist at the world, he was trying to live in it. Sarariman was blank, ubiquitous. His persona fit into most host architectures seamlessly and people still acted surprised when a six foot tall black man showed up to the meet instead of a Japanese guy with glasses so he knew it was working.

left-aligned image
WHOA!, he thought as his head snapped sideways in a visceral reaction as old as hunting mastodons. A Puerto Rican girl dressed to kill wafted through the crowd. Sar guiltily thought of Mac as he pulled his attention back to the job. He flipped from one of the cameras at Intersection A to the one outside Dunkel Donuts as he collected his thoughts. If Mac had been there she would have simultaneously laughed it off and made him feel two feet tall at the same time. Sar jumped to the Stuffer Shack feed and mused about his relationship with Michelle MacCaffrey. She was so into her work at the animal shelter that sometimes he felt like she forgot about him. Other times she would look at him like he was the only other person on the planet. Sar hoped to take their relationship beyond friendship but with as much time as she spent keeping the doors open at the shelter and him leading a double life that she knew nothing about, so far it hadn't happened. Sarariman glanced at the ARO of Mac that permenantly sat at the upper left corner of his visible area. He resolved to push things forward with Mac as soon as this job was over. Well, maybe nudge things forward.

Experience Level: I've been a fan of the game and the fiction since they came out. I usually play Street Sam-type characters so playing a decker is a little bit off the beaten path for me but I'm very fluent with the Sixth World and the mechanics of 5e.

Last edited by Kerchunk; Jan 8th, 2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Updates
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I really shouldn't make an application for your game. If you look at all the characters to games I've listed in my signature you'll see why. That being said I might, just might make a character for your game. Well, if I come up with a good concept that is

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6165
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Gonna throw this up here to show interest, will update as I work on it.
Runner Name/Real Name: Clutch/Jonas Rainier
Metatype: Human
Role: (Decker, Summoner, Infiltrator, Face, etc.) Stickman, with a little face.
Build: Metatype C, Attributes A, Resonance E, Skills B, Wealth D
Appearance:
Backstory: Jonas Rainier has always been lucky. Firstborn to a wealthy family with significant stake in Aztechnology Jonas lived the life of a Corporate Lacky, and made-man. His luck didn’t end with the circumstances of his birth however, Jonas was just alway lucky. Every roll of the dice, every turn of the card, it always went his way. At 23 his natural Charisma and unnatural good fortune Attracted attention from those up above and got him put in charge of a large PR division in Aztechnology, putting the best spin on their dealings. His luck continued as every PR spin and tall-tale he wove paid off for Big A, and himself. Money and influence were the for the taking, and Jonas took as much as possible, moving up the Corporate ladder and descending into a life of decadence and hedonistic excess.
It was during this time of money, drugs, and illicit dealings that His luck finally took a turn. A fateful night, an incident at Big A’s HQ, and a very pissed up upper executive left Jonas on the street, seemingly cut loose with no money or power to call his own. But even as everything from his former life abandoned him, something of his luck still remained. Setting himself up as a Runner, Jonas embraced his life on the streets, and found his calling as a wheelman. Compared to the luxury sports vehicles and private aircraft he was accustomed to, the tools of a Runner were quaint. Taking on the persona Clutch, Jonas proved that a steady hand, and a little luck was all it took to keep his competitors in the dust.
But nothing is quite as simple as it seems, and no one gets to quit the Corporations entirely. Jonas quickly learned that even if he was ignored, he wasn’t forgotten and he would always be a Company Man. A Runner was a great asset for Big A, and a wonderful way to have a man connected to the underground, someone who had dealings with other Corporations and could report back to them. To his credit Jonas tried to resist, but the threat of exposing his identity was all Aztechnology needed to keep Clutch in line.
Role-Play Sample:
Jonas took in a deep breath of the cold night air, past the odor of filth, and the street. Beyond the stench of piss, garbage, and the junkie scum around him. Up in the towers, up in the penthouses you miss out on these smells. Everything is pleasant, perfect, manufactured. This was real, this was living.
A crunch from refuse being stepped on by shoes worth more than a years rent signaled the arrival of his contact, Jonas let out his lung full of garbage, sweat, pollution, and filth in a sigh and turned to get a look at the Wage-slave in front of him. ”Mr. Rainier?” skepticism flavored his words, taste must have been sour judging by the way his lips pursed. ”I am Mist..” anger darkened his face as my hand clasped over his mouth.
”Names Clutch, you best forget any other names you know when you are out here on the street Mr. Johnson”. The newly baptized Johnson raised an eyebrow as he leaned his mouth away from my palm, but his eyes showed understanding, making him smarter than the last Johnson. If he was lucky he might just live long enough to survive these meetings on the streets; course that just meant he will have lived long enough to know too much and Big A would have introduce him to a cleaner.
No, only those at the very bottom or the very top survived the Shadow games between Corps......
”This is what you are after”, the Datastick bounced off his chest before Johnson realized what it was, fumbling before capturing the data, pressing it close to his breast like a newborn. ”Bunch of Runners from the slums hit your warehouse, hired by some leaf eater who manages out of a coffee shop, but if you follow the cred trail it will lead straight up to Bellevue, and outta my reach. It’s your game now.” I turned and walked away, ignoring Johnson’s stammering thanks as I disappeared into the nearest alley. Past time I was gone, only the very Top and very Bottom survived these games, and I had no illusions where I fit now.

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; Jan 9th, 2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:11 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
pocketroid pocketroid
ApplicationRunner Name/Real Name: Silvertooth
Metatype: Elf
Role: Technomancer, a kind of shaman decker
Build: I have no idea how to do this, but I am happy to learn from you all.
Appearance: Mouth and nose masked, hood held up with goggles, body covered in form-fitting dark strips of clothing, joints protected by thicker grey knee and elbow pads, obscuring all skin except the wide eyes, which reveal dark skin and luminescent eyes. Silvertooth
Backstory:
Living in the hills of Mt. Rainier, Silvertooth grew up in a natural environment living in a close relationship with the land, and was brought up with an aversion to the big city. Once, while still young, a foreign ambassador from one of the big cities came to his peoples' land. This person was supernaturally found to be lying and malicious of intent, so they were killed and their body discarded. Though modern technology was forbidden, Silvertooth had heard of tools the city folk use. Going to investigate the ambassador's corpse, he found some devices on the dead man's body. To Silvertooth's surprise, they were not totems which summoned devils. The devices he found were an intriguing puzzle, but just as natural and useful as an axe or a wolf.

Fast forward to modern day, and Silvertooth is now older, living in the big city. His curiousity killed his natural soul. All the elders were right: This place is a cancer to the world, and a poison for the mind. But there is no turning back. Silvertooth is exiled from his home now, and has survived in the city using his unique skill and connection with technology.
Role-Play Sample:
RP SampleA dark, gloved hand hastily jams a needle into the data cable snaking away from the terminal. Gently tracing the needle, back along a clear tube, like a drip IV, finding another thicker needle loose at the other end. Silvertooth deftly inserts the needle plug straight into a premade hole in his skull; like a headphone jack. Turning on his shadow-generators to hide himself from the world, the bundle of clothing disappears from the physical world, and with it, his consciousness disappearing into the needle.

He knew the risk of trying to get past this megacorp's ice without any kind of firewall of his own, but he was past deadline and nothing else had worked after days of trial and error. Silverooth's avatar was naked and alone inside the angular, clean lattice of data, the thin network of 0's and 1's silently booming all around him. The first obstacle was a simple, flat, green tundra against a starless infinitely black sky, with only a hint of light and colour on the horizon. With no tools or web crawler, Silvertooth resolved simply to walk the entire way on foot. He knew time was dilated inside, but it would still be a test of patience and mental endurance.

Experience Level: I am somewhat familiar with the setting, and am excited to explore more through this game. I have played Shadowrun boardgames, and read up on some of the lore because they intrigued me so much. I like Android: Netrunner and cyberpunk as a genre. I played in a Shadowrun 5E one-shot once at a con, as a dwarf decker, and really enjoyed myself.

Last edited by pocketroid; Jan 7th, 2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 02:21 AM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Ooo, tempting. Though I'm not sure it's wise to have possible players make their sheets now. Fortunately, I had this laying around.

ApplicationRunner Name/Real Name: Patrikos Mitsotakis AKA 'Rude'
Metatype: Minotaur
Role: 'Being Rude'
Build: (Heritage B/Talent E/Attributes C/Skills D/Resources A)

Appearance: Patrikos looks like what happens when a troll decides to mate with instead of eat a cow. Which is fair really, being a Minotaur that's kind of a common theme. His skin/short pelt is more a red then grey, the bone protrusions are less obvious, his nostrils are more flared like a cow's, and he has two big symmetrical horns on the sides of his head. His physical shows no obvious signs of implants or scar tissue, which given his past is unlikely on both counts.

For clothing, Patrikos likes the sleeveless look to show off his 'guns'. Preferring basic and dark colors he thinks that he's very handsome by Minotaur standards and might be right. Often seen wearing shades, his last job was usually in conditions of poor lighting. His weapon of choice is his bare hands, with a big hammer coming a close second. He will use other things if the situation demands it though.

Backstory: Patrikos Mitsotakis was born in Greece, the son of a chef and a vegetable supplier. A Minotaur by birth, meaning basically he's what they have instead of Trolls in Greece. He remembers as a child hearing the stories about the Minotaur and the Labyrinth, though the version he heard would of been from the beast's point of view. He would learn a thing or two to fight with for the sake of his cultural identity, even pop for a few bioware implants to help, but nothing really going for him. With the accidental death of his parents he inherited some money but had no real direction in life, until he heard through the 'trix that a team of runners found the original Labyrinth in Crete. Having sold the information to a crime boss, Patrikos would be one of the first to sign on for a little operation that organization had in mind.

Popping his money into more bioware implants so he could pass for being unmodified, Patrikos would be known on the 'trix and in the world of illegal cage fighting as 'The Real Thing'. The Labyrinth was an amazing gig for Patrikos. Described in certain corners of the 'Trix as 'Professional Wrestling but Real, Cranked to 11, and even less predictable', it was of course very illegal. Killing an opponent was considered poor sportsmanship but within the rules, not to mention how many local and international gambling laws it broke. The game itself fit the surroundings and the myths well. 7 male non-Minotaur and 7 female non-Minotaur vs 7 Minotaur, the non-Minotaur that find the exit within 24 hours split a large cash purse while the Minotaur win cash based on point scores with a large bonus for stopping all non-Minotaur from finding the exit. Non-Minotaur may outnumber Minotaur 2 to 1, but they also have more reason to actively sabotage each other's progress then the Minotaur. Not to mention all the gambling spectators could do on the side.

For Patrikos it was a life of fast cash, fast cars, fast women, and fast parties as a underground athletic 'trix celebrity. He'd quickly pick up the fan nickname 'The Real Thing' because of his play style. No [obvious] modern technology, no modern tools, armor, or weapons- just his fists and a big hammer with his knowledge about the layout of the Labyrinth. Of course, he may not of been the smartest of the competitors but he did figure out that 'someone' had written out hints to shortcuts through the maze in Old Minotauren along the walls. Unfortunately, the crime ring that hosted the Labyrinth decided to just start grabbing up homeless people and police who got to close when they needed to fill out the non-Minotaur ranks. Why exactly he came to the decision he couldn't tell you. Maybe he had a conscience, maybe it went against the old Minotaur version of the myth of the Labyrinth he was brought up on. Whatever the case, he subtly began feeding information to police as a result.

In time 'The Real Thing' was both a fan favorite of the Labyrinth and an inside man used regularly by interpol similar organizations. What happens next isn't public record, but whatever it was the Labyrinth is no longer open for cage fighting bets and Patrikos went into hiding instead of a standard arrest. That's the problem with being the good guy though, you kind of get a taste for it.

Role-Play Sample: Welcome to the Matrix Wayback Machine Archive Project

Please Enter Search Parameters: "The Labyrinth"+"Illegal Sports"

Searching . . .

Primary Search Results are in a language other then the ones indicated as your preference. Translations and Dubbing from Greek to English are available. Continue Y/N? Yes

The LabyrinthWelcome, Sports Fans!

The hottest game on the 'Trix is now at your fingertips. With the discovery of the original Labyrinth, how can someone not do this? And now you get to watch as teams of fighters battle it out for a nuyen prize and glory.

Rules are Simple. On game day we're going to release 7 men and 7 women into the Labyrinth. The ones that are in final room at the end of a 24 hour clock splits up the prize money. They can work together, they can fight each other - their call.

Meanwhile, before anyone thinks they have it easy, there's also a team of 7 Minotaurs loose in the Labyrinth. Their job is to make the non-Minotaurs earn their money.

Let's meet the home team in the Labyrinth.

Buzzsaw
Demon
Hellhound
Lady-Of-War
Nitro
The Real Thing
X
The Real Thing*The picture given with the profile is most certainly one of Patrikos. However, while the other Minotaur images show various levels of implants - near-cyber-zombie levels for Buzzsaw - Patrikos appears to be the only one with absolutely no obvious implants. In fact, he seems to have run with the idea as his "uniform" for the games appears to just be a loincloth, and not a particularly modest one.*

Sometimes, you just have to step back and do things the old-fashioned way. Legend has it the Labyrinth was built to house the original Minotaur, and here we bring you a direct descendant of the original. No fancy gadgets, no cybernetic hardware - just meat, muscle, endurance, skill, and instinct honed by years of training and experience. Delivering the pain, the way your grandpa used to.

The Real Thing -
Preferred Weapons: Fists, then Warhammer
Pros: Trains extensively, very skilled with very high strength and endurance.
Cons: Unaltered meat means he's not going to be pulling any hidden weapons or anything like that. No range beyond the length of his arms.

Top Comments:
We sure there's no implants in him? I've seen guns that hit softer then he does. Seriously. I've done the math.
-Razor

I know I'm supposed to be rooting for the other guys, but there's few things quite as satisfying as seeing The Real Thing break the jaw of someone whose just backstabbed their teammate for a little cash.
-Tapout

So when you say "just meat", how much "meat" we talkin'?
-Kitty967

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rock Crushes ScissorsWell, at least the Johnson never pretended it wasn't going to be a rough job. Some rich guy pissed off the wrong Yakuza so they grabbed his niece and rigged her up for a Bunruku Parlor. Job was to get in and get her out. A job that wasn't as morally grey as they usually were - the problem was that if you burned the Yaks and they knew they did their best to burn you back.

Patrikos wasn't a Mage, wasn't a Decker, wasn't a Face. What he spoke was the Language of Meat and Pain.

"So that's the plan, Pretty Boy goes in as a potential customer while Rude is his bodyguard for a distraction while we come in from above. We knock out the power, you two keep them from turning on the emergency system as long as possible, we get in, avoid the Sword Adept, and get out. Nice and Easy. Sound good?"

"No." Pat speaks right off with a chuckle as he leans back in the chair and points to Pretty Boy with a Greek accent so think it could kill a small animal. He keeps going too, once in a while running a whetstone over a horn. Just to make sure they stay sharp.

"Look at him. Dress him in that suit, you really think it believable that he can't find willing Hooker somewhere else? Me on other hand, I look like I play rough. I go in as Client, Prize Fighter - and Pretty Boy my agent. Much more believable."

Pretty Boy raises a finger as if he's about to argue, but stops - the words just seeming to die in his mouth as the hand goes back to the chin. It's Spark who finally speaks with a bit of a giggle.

"The Double Quarter-Pounder With Cheese has a point."

Specs sighs, but it's not a big change to the plan and gives a little nod. Pat responds by grabbing a whole bottle of whiskey and taking a drink right there.

"Rude?"

"Just getting into character." he laughs, and the show gets on the road.

Pat stumbles into the Parlor with Whiskey on his breath and a little bit of a stumble in his steps, but that's part of the act. Truth was he wasn't even feeling tipsy, but Rude was acting pretty good, better then you'd think for a dumb ox. He grinned as he walked with a little unsure step up to the main desk, like this was somehow a respectable business.

"This is where I get Kefi?" the show starts as Patrikos looks between the yaks in the front and Pretty Boy. Three. One at the desk, two more standing on each side as security guards. He stumbles closer, and Pretty Boy comes in to get under and arm as if he needs the help staying sure on his feet.

"Apologies, my Client is seeking - I think the literal translation is 'Joviality'."

"I understand. Inform your client that we have Entertainment available but if he breaks the Entertainment provided we will charge extra."

Patrikos gives an extra drunken stumble to hide the flash of rage, but he keeps his acting face going. Both the famous Yakuza anti-Meta racism and how they talk about the girls like they're just tools for some fun. Just have to wait for the signal. He "stumbles" up to the desk and puts his hand on it like he's ready to barter.

"I have questions. One - Is there discount for More then One? Two - Do you have any Ork Kefi? I like big butts, can not lie."

"Sir, tell your client - "

Then the lights went out. The Yak behind the desk doesn't even finish the sentence as Pat reaches out, puts his hand behind the man's head, and smash him downward and what was a human face makes a wet slapping, crunching sound that is followed up with the sound of glass shattering as Patrikos smashes his whiskey bottle against the desk and stabs one of the other Yaks in the neck with what's left. Pretty Boy pulls his gun and takes down the last one with two placed shots.

"Alright, Rude. If anyone presses that button on the desk the cameras will turn back on. That happens, we're all dead. Can you stay here and guard it?"

"No Need."

"What makes you say that?" Pretty Boy asks as he takes position to get ready to knock down anyone that comes down the hallway. Pat however has a simpler idea. The desk is one of the pseudo-marble ones with a keyboard built in. It would be kind of impressive if the wires weren't visibly going into the wall behind it. So, simple solution. Patrikos gets on his knees, puts a shoulder under the pseudo-marble, and starts to rise.

The desk breaks free of the floorbolts with a loud crack as metal gives up on holding things in place. After that it's a yank and the desk is just a fancy rock-slab.

"Now, No Button." Patrikos chuckles a bit as he leans up the slab against the wall and starts stepping toward the hallway. Yeah, that was a distraction alright.

Then there's a sound in the night like a faint whooshing. The Sword Adept doesn't approach Pretty Boy and Rude so much as appear, blades slacing away what looked like fingers on Pretty-Boy's shooting hand as he falls back, already bleeding badly.

"You and your Beast are Dead, and I will Enjoy this. Prepare your Soul for the Death of 1,000 Cuts from the Heavenly Scissors Technique and -"

A Monologue. Seriously? Patrikos wasn't a Mage, wasn't a Decker, wasn't a Face - but he spoke the Language of Meat and Pain better then most. And part of that was shutting the frek up and just getting to the killing when you had too. Patrikos didn't wait for the Sword Adept to finish his monolgue, just grabbed the rock slab, held it in front of him like a shield, and Charged forward. Apparently the Sword Adept, whatever his name was, was racist enough against Minotaurs that he considered Pretty Boy the real threat. Or maybe it was the fact that Pretty Boy had a gun and 'Rude' was barehanded at the time.

The result was that Mr. 'Heavenly Scissors' as crushed between a slab of Psuedo-Marble and the Wall, already coughing up blood as his Torso was now definitely the wrong shape. Patrikos didn't care how well trained you were - when someone pulverizes your rib-cage you lose your concentration.

"Rock Crushes Scissors."

Experience Level: Been a while, but I've hit the Shadows before.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Jan 7th, 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9951
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Application
right-aligned image
Runner Name/Real Name: Red Rabbit/Mi Kyong

Metatype: Oni Metavariant Ork
Role: Combat/Light Face duties
Build: A. Resources
B. Attributes
C. Metatype
D. Skills
E. Mundane

Appearance(Picture to right): A surprisingly gorgeous Korean heritage girl with bright red skin and two horns rising up from her forehead and silky black hair. She's not a big girl, but she's compact and is a natural beauty if one can enjoy such a different skin color. Her eyes are amber colored and she has a somewhat empty look in her eyes, like a doll's.

Backstory: Mi Kyong isn't her real name. At least, it is the 'real' name on her fake SIN she has now. In reality, she was kidnapped from somewhere far away many years ago to serve as the exotic fare in a Bunraku parlor. Her personality and memories were wrecked due to the extensive use of Personasoft chips, and she doesn't fully remember who she was. The runner group that ended up rescuing her did so almost as an afterthought, as they ruined the Bunraku parlor in a completely unrelated shadowrun. It was discovered she was a physically superior specimen packed with combat-useful bioware and cyberware.
The decker on their group managed to salvage a workable baseline personality and restored some basic memories, the best he could do to scrape off any lingering fragments left behind by Personasoft. Since then, she's taken on the name on the SIN she was given and does runs as a way to make a living while she tries to figure out who she wants to be.

Role-Playing Sample "She's just a doll!" one of the Yakuza's men complained in very informal Japanese. "What drek is this?"
The two men stood, donned in simple suits and armored vests, They both wore sunglasses and carried automatic pistols under their coats. One of the two, the older, was missing the pinky finger of his left hand.
Between them was the doll.
It was immediately obvious she was exotic since every inch of her perfect skin was brilliant crimson in color. It was more than just a stain or dye, it was far too deep to have been a cheap job if it was a job at all. Her korean face was angular, exotic, and beautiful, with long sleek raven-black hair that hung to her waist. On her forehead, though, were two horns grown of the same color as her skin and also just as sleek and slender as the rest of her. Her body was... perfect. Perfectly toned, perfectly soft, and every curve and nook on her exuding an allure that made men and women yearn for her. Her nails were done perfectly, both fingers and toes painted black to match her hair Dressed in a simple silk Kimono that both revealed and hugged her breast, and platform sandals that did delicious things to her legs, she looked ravishing.
Her crystal clear amber eyes did not convey any awareness of these facts. In truth, her vapid expression was beyond the normal airheaded nature of many club goers or addicts. Her eyes had no light in them because no one was there.
The three were waiting outside one of the Bunraku parlor's rooms, where a very expensive client was exercising his 'tastes'. They were supposed to offer this model next, but were told not to slot a personafix until the client had made a choice.
"Shut it." the older replied, barely tilting his head to glare at his ally. "You know this is the boss' favorite."
"But we don't need to watch her." the younger complained. "She's not going anywhere."
"Look. You didn't see what the boss put in her." the older replied.
"Like his dick?" the younger quipped. Neither one of them noticed the figure slowly creeping up the stairwell. An elf in black tactical gear, cyber visor and a silenced assault rifle.
The elder gave him a warning glare. "No, the tech he's invested in her. He wanted her to do more than just lay on her back and take it from some dumbass client. He wanted her to also do some other drek."
"Like what?" the younger sniped. "So he put some nuyen on skin upgrades, now she won't come back bruised when a client gets rough with her."
"And quite a lot else going on in there." the older grumped. "She's probably more dangerous than you are, kid."
"No way." the younger replied, tapping a thumb to his chest. "I got my own 'ware, too."
That instant, a faint THWIP came from down the hall and the kid's head exploded like an over-ripe melon as a high caliber bullet erases his memories permanently.
"Good to know!" Spectre mutters, shifting his Ares Alpha to fire again. The elder yakuza raises his arm and draws his gun, bullets spraying into the floor and along the wall next to Spectre as he stumbled away from his dead ally. Thankfully the yakuza also tended to use silenced weapons, so no one but Spectre and the doll could hear the shots. The doll remains motionless, not having been given an order to move. Flecks of blood and brain matter splattered the side of her face and she didn't even flinch.
The second and third shot took the yakuza in the chest, and he went down. Spectre moved at a quick crouch over to the body and put two more in his head just to be sure.
Turning to the doll, Spectre whistled appreciatively. "Wow, she's... top of the line." he muttered.
"Spectre, your comm's still on." crackled in his ear.
"I know." he replied, "Should we take this one with us?"
"Stick to the mission."
"We should take this one with us."

"Goddamnit Spectre, leave the sex toy alone and finish the damn mission!"
He turned away from her, rifling through the two dead men's equipment. He collected a box of chips from one and a handful of credsticks from another. "Hey... Personafixes. Nice onces. These aren't gonna burn out."
"Mission? Please?"
"I'm just checking. Agh, these are all labeled in Japanese." he complained. "I hated that class."
"Oh my god, Spectre. You're doing this on purpose now."
He pocketed the findings and hefted his gun. "I'm on it, hold your ****ing horses."
He turned from her and the dead men and opened the door they were standing in front of. "Room service!" Spectre trilled with an obviously tacky false accent. "Mint for pillow? Bullets for corporate shitheads!"
A suppressed gunshot was followed by a woman's scream. Seconds later another doll, this one a young human woman with a sheet wrapped around her sweaty naked body fled from the room, bounced off the oni doll, and ran down the stairs in terror.
"Got it." Spectre spoke into his comm when he emerged a minute later, tucking a core-covered piece of headware into a belt pouch. "So about that doll."
"Dammit Spectre, do not bring the doll."
"I can't believe you brought the goddamn doll!"
"Look, Richter." Spectre snapped. "You heard what they said. She's got several hundred k in hardware in her. She's got nothing upstairs, sure, but I couldn't just leave her there. She's gotta deserve a better life than that. And with the right skillsofts... she'll be more than just a sextoy on legs."
The doll sat in the cramped quarters of the van where she had been set down. Her personality had been so gone that she didn't even fight being picked up and fireman carried down sixteen flights of stairs. She didn't cough or sneeze at the barrage of smells of cigarette smoke, body odor, ozone and traces of Jazz in the air.
"You just wanted her for yourself, you sick ****." Richter snapped back. In front, a woman in similar body armor glared at them both before jacking in and switching to drive-by-wire. A dwarf in heavy overalls looked over the bloodstained headware that Spectre had taken, plugging it into a complicated looking array of decking hardware.
"All right." the dwarf said with a heavy californian accent. "Got that unspooling, and have three redundant systems running in parallel for backup. We'll get the codes from the datavault. Now what's this about a..."
His eyes lost a little focus spotting her. "Holy ****. They had an Oni in there?" he chuckled. "That's some rare meat, you know."
"Can you do something with these?"
Spectre shoved a box of personafix chips into the dwarf's hands. "Maybe... find who she was?"
The dwarf blinked at the box, opening it. Almost a dozen chips shifted in their padded case. "****, son. She was running ALL of these?" he complained, reaching out and roughly shifting her head to the side. She moved where he wanted her without resistance, holding the pose. The back right of her head, hidden under her hair, was a well-maintained datajack with chipjack addition containing numerous chip slots.
"Well I'll be." the dwarf muttered.
"Hi-Rez?" Spectre asked, ignoring Richter's irritated eyeroll. The team leader chose to ignore them, and instead checking his comm and setting up to contact their Johnson.
"I'll need to root around in there for a bit, find out what she's got left." Hi-Rez replied, watching the doll curiously. He held out a finger and slowly lowered it towards her face. He pulled back when she parted her lips when he got close. "Though I don't think there's really anything we can do."
"What about those?"
Spectre asked. "Could we... at least put together a personality from those?"
"What, like make a collage?" Hi-Rez quipped. "What is this, Dollhouse?"
The elf's blank expression caused the dwarf to shake his head with a groan and look over the chips. "Fine but I am not Topher. Maybe I could use this... F.M.L. I am Topher in this situation, aren't I?"
"Brother, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about."
Spectre replied, puzzled.
"Probably for the best. Now shut up and let me work." Hi-Rez pulled his datajack cable out and looked at it before sighing and jacking into the doll.
Richter turned back to Spectre and jabbed a finger at his chest as the van suddenly changed direction. "It's your lucky day." Richter growled. "We're getting paid sooner than later. And you get to keep her, but it's on YOUR dime. We green?"
Spectre leaned back and nodded. "Green." he replied. "Supergreen."

Level of ExperienceI've played SR5 a few times, am familiar with the system and SOME of the metagame revolving around making an effective character. I have PDFs of many of the books. I also have a character builder, Chummer, that I use for making my characters.

Last edited by Runetide; Jan 14th, 2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: completing application
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Some quick preliminary feedback:

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 02:11 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10832
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
The Hood
Robert Locke
(Aka: Hood)

Metatype: Orc
Archtype: Adept Archer
Core character concept: An Ork ganger physical Adept who's model himself after Robin Hood because of his interest in old literature and stories.
Role: A combination of lookout (both mundane and arcane), sneak, and sniper. In many way's Robert can take on the role of scout and even has some wilderness training despite his urban upbringing. He also acts as a street level connection with his contacts in the Hoods and other street people.Scout, Sniper, and Gang Connection
Build: Metatype=B, Attribute=A, Magic=D, Skills=C, Gear=E

Appearance: Hood is a male ork around 13 years old (looks 21) with a shaved head and a neatly trimmed goatee. Robert's clothing is very simple, sometimes even homemade, usually favoring dark browns and greys, and hidden under an old brown duster. Most notably is the fact that all of his outfits, including the duster, features some form of hood which Robert uses to cover his face with when ever he's out on business.

Character sheet:

Experience Level: I've been following Shadowrun since 3rd edition and although I had primarily been a DnD/Pathfinder player during those years, I always went out of my way when given a chance to play the gritty cyberpunk/fantasy mash up; whether it was running games myself, playing with my main crew, or the occasional pick up game at conventions. I will admit that I never dived deep into the topography of the matrix, finding that particular rabbit hole a little confusing at times, but I do at least understand the concepts present there.

I've also played the majority of the video games (yes, including the original Snes and Sega ones; Xbox too but I don't like to talk about that) and read several of the novels (Albeit a much more limited percentage then the video games). I am even currently playing in a game for which, as a side project, I'm creating an interactive map of Seattle 2072 using Google Maps that has not only points of interest listing relevant data pulled from books and wiki's but district and (perceived) Gang areas; all organized in specific fields for easier use for when one wants to focus on particular types of areas/points of interest. As your focusing your game on 2081 I don't think it would help you much but it is a decent example of my dedication to the setting.

Last edited by taleteller50; Jan 13th, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 02:53 PM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
Here's my hat in the ring but I would like to know which Edition we will be using.
5th edition. It's specified in the OP now.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Sadly, shifts in my work situation have me concerned about my available time in the coming months. I will need to withdraw my application.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:21 AM.