Homebrew RPGX-based free time system. Collaboration welcome. - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > House Rules + Plotlines Development
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 09:23 PM
He who returns

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7947
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
Homebrew RPGX-based free time system. Collaboration welcome.

Greetings fellow role-players!

One thing that has bothered me a bit over the years with PBP D&D is the lack of downtime events. For example, as we all know, during free time, you can craft, gain new skills, manage a business, the list goes on. Often, we're focused on the story at hand, and when things are not super intense, the pase of things is restful, so people can recharge their batteries.

Years ago, I RP'ed at a Wheel of Time website called the Grey Tower, and there, they had some interesting ways for characters to acquire skills.

-Short stories of certain lengths detailing a character learning a skill.
-Small roleplay threads between two players (trainor, student), that goes on for a certain length, where eventually, depending how they want to roleplay it, the student gains a new skill.

I feel those concepts could be applied, sort of a side quest/side story, where characters can improve themselves. Obviously the PHB's suggestions on how to accomplish some things don't always work out in PBP. What do you all think, community members, do you think it would work, or be well received, to add such an optional supplementary element to a campaign?

I welcome all feedback, additional ideas, I simply want to add an optional way of grown to the game i am DM'ing, and perhaps with the community an excellent system could be drafted.

Thank you all for your time
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 06:10 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12690
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
5e has really simplified skills to the point it is hard to do much with them like you're saying. I would say gifting skill prof for specific Rp sets combined with bouts of X amount of time training should suffice.

One of my personal favorite ways I've seen skills done was in runequest. So every time you use a skill that had not been used since the last "level up", you get to mark it. Once you stop for an extended rest(a few days normally) then you get to roll to see if you gain skill percentage in the skill you utilized under a high stress situation.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Sep 19th, 2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 08:52 PM
He who returns

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7947
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
Quote:
5e has really simplified skills to the point it is hard to do much with them like you're saying. I would say gifting skill prof for specific Rp sets combined with bouts of X amount of time training should suffice.
This is a thought of mine as well. Say 6 posts of 250 words minimum, or a short story of 1500 words? And this only available say once every game chapter?

Quote:
One of my personal favorite ways I've seen skills done was in runequest. So every time you use a skill that had not been used since the last "level up", you get to mark it. Once you stop for an extended rest(a few days normally) then you get to roll to see if you gain skill percentage in the skill you utilized under a high stress situation.
So say earn it based on extensive RP'ed practice of the skill?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 10:34 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12690
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Well, runequest is a d100 system. So you roll a d100 and if you roll below your percentile rank in the skill then you succeed. When you succeed on a skill check you mark it and during an extended rest you have a chance of improving your skill by 3%. There is no real translation to 5e, except maybe giving someone a specific amount of successful uses of a skill to gain proficiency in a skill. Like 50 successful skill uses to gain proficiency.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Sep 19th, 2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 03:26 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7622
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I'm setting up something similar in a tabletop game. I am letting them try to increase their attributes though effort. His character is working out daily and getting himself beaten on to increase his Con, so I have him roll a Con check every game-week or game-month. I haven't decided the actual number an mechanics, but I'm thinking...DC 10 + new target, with him getting 1% per 10 on the roll. If he rolls a Nat 1 or misses the DC by 10 or more he pulls something and it sets him back by 2%.

Unforgiven, I'm actually working on something for R&D rolls to figure out or develop formulas, recipes, and schematics in our game.
Setting a Total Cumulative DC, then rolling until you get to that total (minus setbacks).

I'll let you know soon on that.

-me