Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > RPGX Book Club
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 30th, 2022, 04:09 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5499
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bothers View Post
I'll probably be checking out Julian Simpson's The Lovecraft Investigations, which I've also been meaning to listen to for ages.
Simpson's radio plays are excellent; they're also available as podcasts, and are awesome, I'm a big fan.

In non-Lovecraftian Lovecraftian stories, there's also Ruthanna Emrys, who wrote a trilogy about a woman who has Deep One parentage. Can't remember the titles off hand, but if you search for her, you'll find them. Also thoroughly recommended.

Playing: None. Currently GMing: Masks of Nyarlathotep (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 07:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2020
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
I have already read/listened to THE CITY WE BECAME by N. K. Jemisin, but, I would enjoy listening to it again, since the second book in the duology comes out in November.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 10:47 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49005
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Episode 6: No spoiler to say the hobbits got zero screen time.
What’s up with that? Is their story only important because it will lead to the reveal of the giant’s identity?

As Ildrahil has pointed out many times in this forum, there ain’t no canon anymore for this Amazon creation, so the giant could be some new character. But if he is a known LotR character, I’m still thinking this is Tom Bombadil. Sure, Tom claimed to be “ancient” and that he was around before the hobbits and the kings … but he never said he wasn’t around as a flying spaceman. Obvious connections: he’s big, he’s kind, he’s powerful, he’s magical, he has a connection to nature (and regrets killing bugs), and he’s alone in the world. Also, there’s that eye imagery when the camera panned above to show him lying in the bed of coals as if he was the pupil of an eye. FillyJonk has advanced that this is Sauron foreshadowing, and it might be. At first I thought it was a red herring visual, but the story isn’t giving enough time to the giant to afford red herrings. And who is one of the only other creatures with an eye imagery in LotR? Well, Tom. When he took Frodo’s ring, he placed it up to his eye and peek-a-boo’ed with it, giving the hobbits a vision of the ring circling a timeless, magical eye. So it might check that box? Plus, and I might be misquoting AnotherDragoon slightly (but the essence is right, I think), “Tom is cool as fork.”

Who do you think the giant is?

Last edited by bananabadger; Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 11:29 AM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7623
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Badger,

I didn't think about Tom because, well because Tom is timeless and was always there. But you are correct, this series is way outside of canon and it sure could be Tom. So, maybe we'll be meeting Goldberry? Of course, if it is Tom then it'd be quite off because Tom specifically says he remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn and knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless, before the Dark Lord came from Outside. I don't think he meant on Mars or while travelling around in his comet. But hey, why not Tom?

Tolkien specifically discusses Tom Bombadil in a few of his letters and says he intentionally left him in to be an enigma. So there it is, Tom is forking cool enigma. Don't forget, JRRT wrote this as if it was a first hand account started by Bilbo, continued by Frodo, and completed by Samwise. As any history, it has the writers' biases, misinterpretations, and misremembering in it. Again, this is intentional and is part of the mastery that is JRR Tolkien.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 11:38 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30903
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Well, I do not want it to be Sauron, and now I think the Eye-fire with him as pupil was misdirection, too. They are doing a good job of jerking me around on this. I feel genuine suspense and deep interest!

I do not want it to be Gandalf, but I think it is. He is too heavy-weight and baggage and future story laden for me to be excited -- but for all these same reasons, he will be hard for the showrunner to resist.

I WOULD LOVE it to be Tom---very tied to nature, so I can see it. I would LOVE IT to be Radagast, who is a very NATURE wizard, so controlling the fireplies makes sense, and killing them seems to have made him very sad and anxious that he is evil, which Sauron would not feel. I would also love it if he was one of the blue wizards---particularly Pallando as it is so fun to say PALLANDO.

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 11:58 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34171
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
I keep trying to second-guess my second-guessing. As a writer, literature teacher, and DM I am thrice damned to be overly analytical about what we’re being led to believe and the different ways expectations might be inverted. Trying to just let go and enjoy whatever reveal may come, but for those three reasons I also really love the analysis!!! Hehe. Everything you said makes sense — wasn’t Tom Bombadil a Maiar or something?!

I just really hope it’s not Sauron. The black hand… I feel worried.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 01:15 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcheerio View Post
Everything you said makes sense — wasn’t Tom Bombadil a Maiar or something?!

I just really hope it’s not Sauron. The black hand… I feel worried.
Cheerio,

I agree with you regarding Sauron, i don't want it to be him either. I'd much prefer just about anyone else.

Regarding Tom, there are so many thought on who and what Tom is and JRRT left it purposefully enigmatic. He did that for a reason, wanting there to be some mystery in his world. As far as Tom Bombadil is concerned, he certainly achieved that goal.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 04:35 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33516
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
I wonder if Adar really tried to kill Sauron or if this was a lie... if he did slice him open it means Sauron need to ressurect somehow?
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 07:41 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
As a Maiar, Sauron can’t actually be killed. Even after the One Ring was destroyed he didn’t die, but he was so weakened that he could no longer influence the world. He became a whisper in the wind.

Last edited by Ildrahil; Oct 1st, 2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:09 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29393
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
I probably have said exactly that about Old Jolly Tom, BB. No misquoted there. Like Ildrahil says, the coolest thing about him is what we don't know. He was just chilling on this rock, smoking his pipe and writing songs when the oldest reaches were mad he's been watching things unfold like "far out, look at them go" since time immemorial. Could he step in and change history at any given second? Sure, but why mess up the show?

I need to catch up on the Powerful Rings but, from what I've read here what if the star man is Sauruman? At first, I really wanted it to be Gandalf because of his love for the Hobbits but that's a bit too obvious, isn't it?
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:46 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33516
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post
As a Maiar, Sauron can’t actually be killed. Even after the One Ring was destroyed he didn’t die, but he was so weakened that he could no longer influence the world. He became a whisper in the wind.
Ok, i don't know much of the canon lore, will google it. So i suppose Adar will have a surprise when he returns.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
Dragoon,

It could be Saruman, but he generally had a disdain for the Hobbits. Who knows, maybe that disdain will be explained in this story if it is Saruman. They've really done a good job hiding who Rocket Man is and I can't wait to find out...but I hope they just keep dropping hints for a while.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34171
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
The internet keeps posting articles or tweets or posts that are like "Alas, the mystery is over. We have definitive proof that the meteor man is _____." And then in the article it's like all the obvious things and no definitive proof. I am a sucker for this clickbait though!