twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83
CoffeeandCantrips
Huzzah! Hey folks, just a quick message of gratitude! Thank you for the gracious welcome and to those give gave that essay a slog of a read, it was gratuitous and full of waffle. I didn't want the group to think I'd just spaff a bunch of writing vanity and then dissappear. My post-lockdown work life is going a bit crazy, but I am very much looking forward to hanging out with you all and doing some gaming soon.

Alex, I'll get the first draft of a character sheet into your inbox shortly!

All the best folks, oh, and I'm not ignoring the PM's! I'm just not allowed to reply to them just at the moment because of site rules. Be well, friends.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:29 PM
All veils and misty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1462
Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi
CandC just go to this thread and make a couple of test rolls. You only need five posts and you will be able to answer your PM's.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1822
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeandCantrips View Post
...I'm not ignoring the PM's! I'm just not allowed to reply to them just at the moment because of site rules...
I think one more post is all you need to nix that problem. I suggest 1 throwaway post. Maybe tell us about your favorite color, the worst food you've ever tasted, or your best evil supervillain plan to take over the world!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8950
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Several weeks before...
right-aligned image

The sun was lower in the sky by now, and the ancient buildings and town walls provided some comfortable shade. All the narrow winding streets seemed to lead back to the main square at the center, as long as one could navigate one’s way successfully past donkeys and porters carrying goods, beggars, stray dogs or goats, and groups of people in front of the various stalls and stores, without getting lost and going around in circles. In addition, there was the very real challenge of refusing all the merchants’ invitations to sit down for some tea and pleasant chit-chat. This was usually accompanied by some flattery and always by an insistent sales pitch of some sort or other, sometimes even throwing an offer for you to stay to eat and rest and meet the entire family into the bargain. They all seemed to want to give away what they had to you out of friendship, but then of course they needed just a little money, to get a little something to eat, for their partner, their children, the donkeys who brought it, the rent, the materials, the craftmanship, the sick old grandmother.

People were tolerant enough around here, and relatively polite, being used to people with different backgrounds, colors and shapes. Still, the party elicited quite a few unabashed stares and some of the children, not knowing any better, whispered into each other’s ears as the group strolled by.

The central square itself was quite a sight. The same spectacle repeated itself daily, but each day it was different. It was almost as if the square existed within a reality of its own, eternal, yet full of movement. Everything changed — voices, sounds, gestures, the public which sees, listens, smells, tastes, touches.

People were installing themselves in the square to sell their goods. Donkeys, monkeys, rugs, pottery, aromatic spices, arms and armor, freshly baked finger-foods, all sorts of wares and refreshments were offered. People stopped to inspect and inquire about what was on sale, acting with feigned disinterest in order to get lower prices. Sometimes engaging in long bargaining sessions, sometimes shaking their head, or expressing pretend shock and disbelief, or even turning around as if to walk away completely as a kind of bluff. Snake charmers, water sellers and orange juice stalls. Merchants calling out, hawking their goods, extolling all the possible and impossible virtues of whatever they had for sale. It was all part of a millennial tradition, venerably old but still vigorously alive.

A friendly call was heard. Someone was putting on some kind of show close by, and a crowd of curious onlookers started to gather around him. Your group somehow caught in the middle of it pushed in closer by the crowd. It looked like the same strange looking goblin you had met before. But now he was moving about from here to there, even doing the odd acrobatic jump and turn. He was looking surprisingly nimble for his age and shape, drawing in more and more people, while pulling funny sleight of hand jokes on those closest to him.

He continued in an exaggerated comedic manner "Poor me! A poor goblin, all alone in this strange city. True, I am an ugly goblin, but still, I don’t smell quite as bad as some people here." He play-acted smelling someone close by and fainting from the stench, and the crowd laughed harder.

left-aligned image

He cleared his voice and put on an air of mock dignity as he began:

"When th’ day of glory came to pass
As all the rest were dead and gone
I alone knew the dishonour
Of not dying on field of battle."

The crowd chuckled as he accompanied his song with funny gestures and pantomime, tumbling and running from this side to that.

"I'm a mere worthless weed
Goodly folk, goodly folk,
It’s not I, gets chewed t’cud
And I'm not what gets put in sheaves.

Death mowed down the others
Goodly folk, goodly folk,
And me it left unharmed,
It’s immoral - it's how things go!
La la la la la la la la."

The crowd was thoroughly entertained by his antics.

"Have you ever heard the story of the hundred cows? It goes like this: Once upon a time, there was a cow, and a cow, and a cow, and a cow, and a cow, and a cow, and a cow….."

He rolled his eyes and pretended to get so confused with the mindless repetition that he tumbled over and fell down. Children pushed their way through to the front of the crowd, and watched in total concentration, almost as if in a kind of trance.

"No, I’ll tell that story another day", he wiped his forehead as if he had saved himself from something terrible in his comedic manner.

"Have you ever heard, about the old man who found death in a cave?" At this point he glances at your group, perhaps by chance, and pauses, somehow creating an air of expectation and mystery, as the crowd quietens a little and the general mood shifts again.

"The oral tradition is an invisible treasure, passed down through the ages, this oral tradition is framed by one much vaster — that we can call intangible. This square, as a physical space, protects and transmits this rich oral and intangible tradition. And it is a piece of this tradition, this treasure, that I will share with you today. Take heed! If you have ears to listen with: Listen!"

The Goblin's StoryThis happened a long time ago, not too far off from here.

An old traveler was looking for shelter for the night and happened to find the entrance to a cave. As you all know, these kinds of natural caves often serve as natural refuges for shepherds, hermits or humble travelers, and after looking about he ventured a careful peek within. It seemed empty. There were some old charred marks and remains of some small fireplace, but otherwise, it was empty. He walked in, happy to be able to provide his old tired bones with some shelter from the wind and the elements, when he stumbled across a medium sized chest. He had a bad feeling about it, but he cautiously opened it. It was full of gold coins. He immediately shut the lid and ran out of the cave leaving the chest behind him as fast as his old legs could carry him.

A group of three men saw him hurry by with a wild look in his eyes. One of them called out to him. "What’s the matter old man? Running away from a lion?", he chuckled. The old man stopped and answered in a serious tone: "Death! I saw Death! In a cave up there, I saw Death inside. Stay away from it, if you value your life!", and he left.

"Death!? What do you mean old man?" Now, the three men figured that the old man was probably just a crazy old fool and were curious about what was in the cave. Finally, they followed the man’s footsteps backwards and found it. When they saw all the gold their eyes widened with amazement. One of the clever ones said, "This must be some thieves’ hide-out! Quick, let’s take the gold somewhere else, before the thieves come back!" And, they hurried up and carried the chest away, getting as far away as they could before finding a place to rest.

"What do we do now?" They had no food, and nothing to drink. So, drawing straws, they picked one of them to go fetch some provisions in the nearby village. The lot fell to the shortest one. He grumbled as he made his way to a store and bought enough for a meal for three. "I bet they cheated and knew which straw to take, those traitors. Aha! I know what I’ll do, I’ll get rid of those two idiots and keep the treasure for myself." Finally, he found a place where they sold poison to exterminate vermin and asked: "Do you have an especially strong poison? I have some very big rats I need to get rid of." The store-owner sold him the poison, but told him to be careful with it.

Meanwhile, the two men were planning an ambush for when the third came back with the food. "You hide behind these rocks, and when he comes I'll pretend to play with him and tackle him to the ground. At the same time, you jump out and stab him with your dagger." So, the two men made a deal to kill the shorter one and split the gold between themselves, to get a bigger share.

The short one first ate and drank until he was full. Afterwards, he poisoned the rest of the provisions, put it in his bag, and went back to where the other two were waiting for him. When he got there, before he could say a word, the first man made as if to play with him and grabbed him by the waist. The other came out from behind. It was a quick brutal murder, and soon the shorter one lay still and lifeless on the ground. Satisfied with their dirty work, they saw the open bag with the food and the drink. They were both hungry and thirsty, and they didn't wait to eat their fill and drink the last drop. The poison started its work, and they were soon groaning in pain. Before long they too met their end.

And, with all three men dead, the chest with the gold remained there where they had left it.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-30-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Congratulations Pianoman90 by the way on your Outplay qualification for Round 3 with Shugaro! I wish you the best of luck for the final rounds!
Old 08-02-2020, 02:45 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13362
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Thanks Alex! About to dive into the next round this week, so I will be pretty flat out. Each post can take up to 3-4 hours to write up properly, its a real time sink, but worth it!
Old 08-04-2020, 04:22 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Wow, that is quite a bit. Well, they say the most important part is to participate and have fun, still I wish you lot's of inspiration and the best of luck with that!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:18 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
CoffeeandCantrips
Response to the goblin and physical descriptionEloric sneered and rolled their eyes in distaste to the goblin, the bawdy crowd and the marketplace in general. One hand was carefully placed over their coinpurse and the other upon the the clasp to their backpack, now swiveled around upon their chest. They were not to be an easy mark regardless of how entertaining the distraction was. Undisciplined peasant chaos this was, they spat, daring to meet the eyes of the pushing common folk. All it takes is one shove too hard and it'll be a night on the racks. They shuffled to keep with the party lest the wave of the audience split them up and cause further delays upon their quest.

Eloric couldn't quite concentrate fully upon the tall tales, not being one for fiction. He had stopped listening by the time the third cow was mentioned, the banality of it all. He instead took the opportunity to meditate for a moment, to become lost in thought and to stand still - a rare moment when you're an adventurer on the road. He hadn't felt this good in years, the rays of the sun and the swirl of the dust upon the breeze, you never realize quite what you miss until it's gone.

Your health, for example. It's quite amazing the miracles the Clerics can do these days. A few hundred gold worth of restoration spells and several weeks of high nutrition and a dedicated physio and training regime, and Eloric was quite recovered indeed, back to their old self beside their wrinkles and silvering hair.

Eloric was a human male in their middle age, fit and able to go on at-least a couple of decent quests to fund a quiet life in the village tavern to be a drunkard and quite tormented until the end of their days. Their military-styled grey haircut had been dirtied and muddied in the heat and the muck, their forehead and eyes lined with years of squinting, worry and frowning. Their eyes keen and alert if somewhat permanently bloodshot ever-so-slightly. The clerics had offered a wonderful set of dentures and he is now the proud owner of a renewed winning smile, perfect for any brief courtly appearance. Their chin dotted with a thick 5-or-6 o'clock shadow, roughly shaven as per their soldier's morning routine ritual.

Beside the aforementioned packs, they are outfitted in a now-cleaned and repaired suit of chainmail armor that shimmers and glints in the light slightly more than it should. Layers of chainmail armor are usually attributed with squires and the knightly classes, but this aesthetic turns more mercenary when complimented by the multitude of straps, pouches and worn leather accessories of a self-governed man. The only other clothing of note would be a plain red tabard, fraying at the ends; an old souvenir of an era passed.

Sheathed upon their back (unusual for a greatsword) is their new pride and joy. The apple of which is their eye. Their adopted family. Their midlife crisis investment - a slightly enchanted zweihander of their own design. Crafted as an apology and recompense for their treatment, a gift and compensation for their time and future services. Sturdy, practical and without flair, the perfect tool to defend their new allies and strike out a new path for themselves in life. Featuring a smooth circular pommel, custom leather grip, over-sized cross-guard, blunted and leathered secondary grip, a mid-blade polearm catch, and an edge that just won't quit. Elegant in style and balance, it would be the envy of any proclaimed swordsman.

He also has a bow.

... "And with three men dead, the chest of gold remained where they had left it." and thus the goblin had finished their tale, probably. As no trouble befell them, it is only customary to grant the bard a coin. He tossed the wretched thing a smattering of copper pieces, enough for a night on the ale for one at-least.

Be wary of hubris, eh? Bit late for some. Bit late for some indeed.

Last edited by CoffeeandCantrips; 08-08-2020 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Added title
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Coffee and Cantrips! Nice to see you here again. By the way, do you mind posting a link to your modules maybe so we can check them out?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
We could still use a player so I will temporarily be accepting late aplications.

Last edited by Alex1983; 08-11-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:14 AM
Lord of Clams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 469
ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord ClamLord
Here you go!

Last edited by ClamLord; 08-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Nice story ClamLord!
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
CoffeeandCantrips
Oh, sorry about the delay. Guh, I totally dislike plugging myself, but as you asked Alex1983 - here you go a current list of my very humble offerings, mere whispers into the void of the internet. Hopefully you get some joy or use out of them, or for anyone really - they're free! They're primarily designed to fit with 5th edition, but I'm sure with a little work they're pretty flexible. I've got another writing project on the go which should be up at some point. It was mostly a lock-down project to help feel productive and a contribution member of society during quarantine, but I'd gladly continue!

In any case:

Defense of the Dryad - a 1-or-2 shot dark woodlands adventure inspired by Tower Defence.
Dreamspire Saga - a toolkit for DM's to run a coliseum styled Open-table game at gatherings with drop-in-drop out play, mostly for conventions.
Grim Tracker Conclave - Original Ranger Subclass - part of a long project to add a spin on a custom subclass for each of the main classes, based on creative direction and advice by Wizard's of the Coast and other highly rated writers.

Yay?

Last edited by CoffeeandCantrips; Yesterday at 07:23 PM.