Game Thread Chapter Two: Forests of Slaughter. - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Lichy Business
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Master of Monsters's Avatar
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters is offline
Is it nap time yet?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 25th, 2021
RPXP: 5485
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Posts: 5,916
Chapter Two: Forests of Slaughter.

Forests of Slaughter – Forest of Recovery

left-aligned image
While all you could see is black, you found feel a ‘wind’ rushing by your body as you traveled through space and time and with a sudden popping sound you appear in a dimly lit forest. The first think that you notice is that any aches, pains or weariness that you felt earlier is completely gone. You feel as if you have done nothing more strenuous then walk from room to room for several months, possibly the best you can remember feeling in your entire life.
right-aligned image


These thoughts are soon replaced by a realization of that you are now in real danger and needed to defend yourself. Trees crowd the walls of this tiny turfed cavern. All about where you stand, the turf gives way to a stone floor, where shadows curl up like smoke from a ten-foot-diameter circle. Runes and black onyx fragments is set into the floor around the edge of the circle. To the west glowing glyphs form a circle on the wall about three feet off the floor.


Next you notice what each of you would know as a wight. It stairs at you with unseeing eyes of a creature who’s soul has long sense passed. A few steps behind and to the wight right is a large suit of armor, but to your surprise No Alphonse Elric jokes pleasenothing fills the suit of armor, beside a pulsating red glow. You are not given long to ponder what to do before a mumbled voice escapes the dry ridged lips of the wight. "What business brings you here?"



OOC
 


 

 


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	90713  
__________________
As a DM: Lichy Business /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 1 /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 2 || Up Next as DM: Little to no activity over weekend Enjoy your 4th.
As a Player: Guild Battle /|\ The Closing Calamity in the Crags: Group 2 || Misc Endeavors: Monster Den /|\ Writers Block /|\ Team Up

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 24th, 2021 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 30514
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 25,179
Anef
right-aligned image
Anef blinked several times and looked at their surroundings.
His blade's handle was still in his hand. A radiant blade sprung to life out of the handle, the length of a longsword. Light as bright as the sun emanated from it.
Anef then softly said, "Shiver, it's nice, now comes the ice. Shall I be so bold, yes, bring the cold."

A layer of frost suddenly forms over his body and garments, though it doesn't seem to bother him.

He then speaks up louder and says, "Our business is our own, but that doesn't matter, now does it guardian? I don't suppose you'll let us pass? Please say no."

He bared some teeth, though it was more a smile than a snarl. He knew what the Wight was - undead. Not only did it have a problem with the light his blade was emitting, he had a divine smite in his offensive abilities that would really add to the hurt he felt he was about to put on it.
The blade rolled in his hand, doing an often seen swordsman's loosening up, if you will.
"I got the wordsmith here. The walking armor shop is all yours."
If either of them spoke in the negative, or moved to attack, he'd respond in kind, and hopefully
Dice Initiative:
1d20+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
quicker than they would.

 
__________________
Posting Status: Caught up? -
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:37 PM
triedtherest's Avatar
triedtherest triedtherest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6033
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posts: 4,306
Ichabod Crow
right-aligned image

Ichabod said nothing yet, he had spent years of his life in seclusion, so he was not vastly experienced in the art of diplomacy, or outright lies, hopefully one of his new compatriots was. He remained silent, but kept a watchful eye on the Wight.

Ichabod Crow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Master of Monsters's Avatar
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters is offline
Is it nap time yet?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 25th, 2021
RPXP: 5485
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Posts: 5,916
Forests of Slaughter – Forest of Recovery
Seeing a weapon being 'drawn' and the agressive actions of Anef, the Wight snarls to the suit of armor "Intruders, attack them!"


OOC
 


 

 


__________________
As a DM: Lichy Business /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 1 /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 2 || Up Next as DM: Little to no activity over weekend Enjoy your 4th.
As a Player: Guild Battle /|\ The Closing Calamity in the Crags: Group 2 || Misc Endeavors: Monster Den /|\ Writers Block /|\ Team Up

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 25th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 05:10 PM
triedtherest's Avatar
triedtherest triedtherest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6033
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posts: 4,306
Ichabod Crow
right-aligned image

Note to self: Never let a Paladin do the talking, particularly if their Vows boil down to "Utterly crush all your enemies". Ichabod thought with a shrug. Oh well, to battle then! He holds aloft his Holy Symbol.
"The Power of Jergal Compels YOU!" He says in a clear, loud voice, Channelling the power of his God's Judgement upon the Dead!


OOC
Dice Initiative Check (Advantage due to Sentinel Shield):
2d20+2kh1 (17, 16 (keeping 17) )+2 Total = 19

Action: Channel Divinity - Turn Undead, DC 17 Wisdom Save

Active Effects: Cloak of Displacement (Attacks against Ichabod are all at Disadvantage)

Ichabod Crow

Last edited by triedtherest; Apr 25th, 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Kenjitsu's Avatar
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu is offline
Psalm 144
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6681
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Posts: 4,313
Ken Jitsu
right-aligned image


As the rogue warlock cleared his head after a very cool and fun trip through space and time, Ken immediately started taking in his surroundings and taking inventory of himself. First, he noticed he felt really good and well rested before he even opened his eyes.

Ken - Wow. Have we been asleep while we traveled?

Hexblade - No. But, you should probably open your eyes. Why did you close them?

Ken - I don't know. I felt the wind rushing by and all I could see was dark, so it just felt safer to keep them close just in case.

Hexblade - Well, the ride is over. Let's see where we are.

Opening his eyes, the half-elf's darkvision was able to see easily through the dim light to see isolated stands of gnarled and vine choked trees 15-20 feet tall in a cavern. Looking down, he was standing on stone surrounded by turf with smoke like shadows curling up. The stone circle they were standing on appeared to have black onyx fragments and runes set in it.

Ken - Something does not feel right.

Hexblade - Maybe it is those two guardians.

Ken - What guardians. Oh, those guardians.

Looking over at the welcome committee, Ken heard the wraith ask, "What business brings you here?"

Ken - Ok, they are not attacking. We need to play this cool and see if we can talk our way out.

Hexblade - Sounds like a good idea. So, say you forgot something from the party last night and you are hoping you can pick it up?

Ken - I don't think they have parties down here. But maybe if we keep the answer truthful but light on details, just maybe we can find out what they are willing to accept.

Hexblade - Tell the truth?

Ken - Yea, something like, 'We are here to find an object for our employer.'. And if they ask what the object is, we just reply, 'A special rock that can only be found in this forest.' and if they ask who our employer is, we can just say, 'We don't know who they are, just that it was a deal too good to pass up.'

Hexblade - I guess that might work. Since they have not attacked yet, as long as we show no signs of aggression and that we are not looking for trouble, they might let us pass. It is not like they asked for a password or a document.

Ken - Exactly. And if they are looking for a specific answer, well, we would just have to fight them anyway. But at least we tried to talk our way through first.

As the plan was forming in his mind, Anef spoke up "Our business is our own, but that doesn't matter, now does it guardian? I don't suppose you'll let us pass? Please say no."

Ken - OK, I guess we are going for the confrontational approach then.

Then the Wight gave an order to attack them. Not wanting to be grouped up, the rogue darted to his right to find cover at what passes as a tree, takes aim at the large suit of armor, and unleashes his agonizing blast as two beams of force flash towards the guardian. Afterwards, he attempts to hide behind whatever cover he can find.

Ken - I really hope there are not many more beyond those trees. We are kind of in a corner here with no escape.

Hexblade - Just keep calm and focus on what you can control. We will deal with whatever comes. Besides, this is a good way to see how the others perform.



 

 

 

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Apr 26th, 2021 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Maestrosity's Avatar
Maestrosity Maestrosity is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2021
RPXP: 1563
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
Posts: 387
Pruthar
right-aligned image
So the dog, Anef, was eager to fight. That's good. Sure, he got them all in a fight before it was possibly necessary, but it was a good mindset all the same.

Instead of acting himself, Pruthar took a moment to see how his team reacted to the situation. There were only two opponents here. Surely they would make quick work of them without Pruthar's immediate involvement. The one that called himself Ken was lightning fast on his feet. Pruthar wasn't surprised. Those type of guys always were.
Quite vexing to fight against, but great to have on your team. The real surprise came from the clergy member. He turned out to be fast as well, which was a relief. Those frail types are often as useful as a wooden sword.

Leaning on his heavy maul, Pruthar waited to see what would happen next.

InitiativeInitiative: 9

OOC
 
__________________
Sorry, my available time has changed once again. It has become zero. I am forced to quit the campaigns I am currently in. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Master of Monsters's Avatar
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters is offline
Is it nap time yet?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 25th, 2021
RPXP: 5485
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Posts: 5,916
Forests of Slaughter – Forest of Recovery
With the call to attack still ringing in the ears of the party, two people spring into action; One to be expected and one that was rather unexpected. The unexpected one was actually the first to react, Ichabod, and the elderly cleric was quick to brandish his symbol of Jergal, commanding the creatures to flee. It is clearly visible in the wight’s face that was not able to resist Jurgal, but the suit of armor was clearly unaffected by the divine wrath.

The second, more expected, reaction was from the fleet of foot Ken. Who was quick to dash to the side before launching two deadly on target blasts of energy, both of which slammed into the suit of armor; which seemed equally as un-phased by the blasts as he was the attempt at turning. Annoyed by the lack of noticeable damage, Ken sunk into the vines about the trees, but as the foliage brushed against him; he began to feel a bit DC 15 wisdom save please.odd

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

”Intruders, Attack them!” no sooner did those words escape the shriveled lips of the wight, then Ichabod held up the symbol of Jergal. ”The power of Jergal holds no doma……” was all the wight was able to mutter before his will broke, and the undead warrior turned and began to flee as quickly as possible. Dodging between the two trees to the group’s left, the wight escaped from the vision of the party.

The suit of armor was not swayed by this fact, however, and shambled forward towards the closest target, swinging his sword twice at Pruthar. The orc lazily leaned to the left and right, never taking his weight from the maul; causing the poorly aimed attacks to pass by harmlessly on each side of him.



OOC
 


 


 


 





Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	90759  
__________________
As a DM: Lichy Business /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 1 /|\ Fireside Tales: Group 2 || Up Next as DM: Little to no activity over weekend Enjoy your 4th.
As a Player: Guild Battle /|\ The Closing Calamity in the Crags: Group 2 || Misc Endeavors: Monster Den /|\ Writers Block /|\ Team Up

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 29th, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 07:08 PM
JaredSyn's Avatar
JaredSyn JaredSyn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 9796
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Posts: 10,381

Rohan felt the wind as if flying through a dark cave and then suddenly it was gone and they were in the forest. They were not alone though the presence of undead nearby, in the form of a wight and an unholy suit of animate armor. There was little time to react as his companions jumped to the attack. At first it seemed as if the undead were resolute and then the wight took off running as Ichabod turned it. The armor though remained resolute moving forward to attack.

Not wishing to see it find purchase in anyone's flesh Rohan cast his spell a whip covered in thorns streaking out towards the Armor. The whip struck its intended target leaving behind scratches along the armor, though it was hard to tell just how much damage it may have inflicted.

OOC/ActionsInitiative check with Advantage
Dice Roll:
2d20+2kh1 (7, 3 (keeping 7) )+2 Total = 9

Thorn Whip (Not pulling the armor towards himself just doing damage)
Dice Roll:
1D20+10 (15)+10 Total = 25
Dice Roll:
2D6 6, 2 Total = 8


Stat Block
 

 

 
__________________
Current Characters: Barthal, Fezaliax, Galileo, Thorin, Vesden,

Last edited by JaredSyn; Apr 29th, 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Seekr34's Avatar
Seekr34 Seekr34 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 5835
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Posts: 8,767
Atwood Draven
right-aligned image

Shaking his head, he looked about to see where he was. He felt great! Wished he felt great before. He was grateful for a few perks of being a dhampir. He can see in the dark and dim light was perfect for him. He then saw the wight and frowned. He knew they would be facing dangerous foes, but a weight right off the back? An armored man...no...a live armored warrior. Damn... Then the weight spoke. Great, maybe we can parlay.

He took a step forward when Anef spoke. Oh crap... but then Ichabod commanded the wight and it fled! The other though...He looked to see the orc standing there, watching. Observing, well, two can play this game. Animated armor, perfect for the orc to crush. While he watches, he looks to where the wight had run off to but it's out of sight. Damn thing quick. He had thought about giving it an arrow in the back, if it's a guardian, it has to report to someone...or something.


OOC
Sorry folks, I forgot to check for a new thread



Stats
 
__________________
Leaning against the wall, watching the others rush by him, he grins. "Go ahead, go get that treasure that's laying there. Be more for me after you die."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 03:10 AM
Maestrosity's Avatar
Maestrosity Maestrosity is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 19th, 2021
RPXP: 1563
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
Posts: 387
Pruthar
right-aligned image
The Suits of Armor's poorly executed attacks threw Pruthar off. It made him overconfident. Without putting much effort into it, he lifted his maul and powerfully but lazily trusted it towards the foe. Too lazily. A quick glance showed him his team had seen his failure. Pruthar frowned and took a little more time for the second attack. Again, he put all his considerable weight behind the attack. With a mighty arc and a soft grunt, he swung the maul's heavy head towards his enemy.

OOC
 

 
__________________
Sorry, my available time has changed once again. It has become zero. I am forced to quit the campaigns I am currently in. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 01:50 PM
triedtherest's Avatar
triedtherest triedtherest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6033
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posts: 4,306
Ichabod Crow
right-aligned image

Ichabod's face simultaneously tries to break into a sneer while affecting an air of innocence.
"I'm sorry? The power of Jergal holds no what?" He says to the empty space where the Wight had stood.
The suit of armour was still in the fight, which could be a problem. The brawnier members of the team had already engaged it in hand-to-hand combat, though neither side were making much headway. Ichabod leafed through his magical armaments in his head before settling on one of the first "tricks" that Lord Jergal ever granted him, though it had the potential to be far more powerful than when he first learnt of it. He smiled evily, nobody ever expected to see this spell from a Cleric!
Calling upon the power of his God, Ichabod created six bolts of pure destructive force that went streaking toward the empty suit of armour.

Action: Cast Magic Missile (Upcast to Level 4), at suit of armour
Dice Upcast Magic Missile (Level 4):
6d4+6 (4, 1, 4, 4, 2, 1)+6 Total = 22


Active Effects: Cloak of Displacement (Attacks against Ichabod are all at Disadvantage)
[/FIELDSET]
Ichabod Crow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 30514
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 25,179
Anef
right-aligned image
Anef could pursue the Wraith and catch it most likely, but what was gone was gone.
This, if he understood it right, was to be a battle of attrition. He'd have to conserve and use his abilities in a measured actions.

So, he merely closed on the animated suit of armor, which he surmised was something called a Helmed Horror most likely, and attacked it up close and personal to see just what it was made of.

He quickly slashed at it twice with his radiant blade, and followed it up with a spinning kick aimed at it's chest.
The thing batted away both his blade swings with it's sword, but that left the opening for his kick and he saw the Damage 7armor dent ever so slightly.

 
__________________
Posting Status: Caught up? -

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Apr 30th, 2021 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Kenjitsu's Avatar
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu is offline
Psalm 144
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6681
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Posts: 4,313
Ken Jitsu
right-aligned image


Ken was very disappointed to see his attack had little to no effect on the walking suit of armor.

Ken - You see that?
Hexblade - I don't think it even noticed your attack.
Ken - Maybe we should focus on the one that ran away, before it can get help.
Hexblade - Sounds like a good plan.
Ken - By the way, I feel strange.
Hexblade - What do you mean strange?
Ken - I don't know exactly, I just feel off.
Hexblade - Do you think it is this place?
Ken - I did not feel this way until I touched the vines of this tree.
Hexblade - Maybe you should avoid the trees for now until one of the others can figure out what is going on.
Ken - I was thinking the same thing.

Pushing down whatever uneasy feeling he was feeling, Ken took a deep breath and then raced across the field to the one and only opening where the wight disappeared through. Upon reaching the opening, the rogue could see the wight fleeing, but easily within striking distance. The warlock rogue summoned the eldritch forces again and pointed at the wight as two beams of force were sent flying across the opening and appearing to hit the guardian.

Ken - That should get its attention.
Hexblade - Great. Now what?
Ken - Good question. I don't want to hide behind one of those trees again.
Hexblade - Chicken.
Ken - Whatever. I also can't let that thing get out of my sight.
Hexblade - So, you are going to chase it?
Ken - Are you kidding? No way. What if it charges me? I think I will just wait right here and see what it decides to do.
Hexblade - So, …, you are just going to stand here then?
Ken - Yup.

The rogue looks around after attacking the fleeing wight, but seems to be indecisive on where to go. As a result, he simply turns to keep an eye on the fleeing wight and waits by the opening for the others to finish off the walking tin can.




 

 

 

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Apr 30th, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Seekr34's Avatar
Seekr34 Seekr34 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 5835
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Posts: 8,767
Atwood Draven
right-aligned image

The ranger watches the big warriors try to deal with the animated armor, he sees the reaction of the orc and lets out a small sigh. Too much pride, that will be his downfall. He then noticed Ken taking off after the wight. Atwood's head went up along with his arm. What the hell, he didn't want the wight to escape, but to go after it alone? Hell, while the two big guys deal with armor object, he took off after Ken, someone needs to have his back.

Being a ranger, he ran through the forest with ease. He caught up to Ken who stopped and casts a spell at the wight. Smart man. He quickly whispered a couple of words as he touched his quiver, then drew an special arrow to his bow and quickly fired two magical arrows at the undead creature.


Attack rolls
 



Stats
 
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.
__________________
Leaning against the wall, watching the others rush by him, he grins. "Go ahead, go get that treasure that's laying there. Be more for me after you die."

Last edited by Master of Monsters; Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB