Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15706
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Yeah it's been all over their social media since it dropped yesterday. Thought of swinging by the LGS for their copy, but I'll just wait for the full rule book at the end of the month.

If anyone does buy it, I'd love to hear what you think!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 754
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstol View Post
The Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box is available in PDF if anyone is interested.
With a 1-star rating on Drivethru RPG... Though no detailed reviews as to why, other than the same complaints that came from 5th Ed.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 07-12-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15706
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
That's disheartening, but not surprising. The discussion on the product is even more damning. Let's just hope it was rushed for Origins and will be edited after con season is over?

This doesn't make me hopeful for the Core Book being in better shape by GenCon though

The embezzlement scandal forced them into publish or perish mode last time, I wonder what their excuse is this time? Rushing for the anniversary seems lame as they've known it's coming for well since first edition launched...
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7848
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I've only caught glimpses of what the specific changes to the rules are going to be, and some of them I find acceptable. Namely reducing the number of skills and dealing with diversification through specialties seems like a good call - ideally you still have the same depth while making it much more accessible to newcomers (Ideally, they could still screw that up). I guess I can live with rolling once for initiative, only one pass per round and all that too.

I guess the biggest problem that I have is that the revamped Edge system does not seem very appealing to me, and now that is wrapped up in nearly everything else - simplified weapon and armour stats, how magic was redesigned and whathaveyou.

But in the end it doesn't change much for me how good or bad the rules turn out to be when the full core rolls around - I don't think I will be trying it out much until a few books in (at least I won't be running it). If something is good it'll still be good a year or two from release. Right now I get what I want from fifth edition.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
Nstol Nstol Nstol
The actions are streamlined and there are less modifiers to dice rolls. As for Edge? The only thing uncertain about it is how often the GM awards it. Therefore it turns into a way to define the pace of the game.

Your World....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmB9pwb5YQ
Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
IMO Edge shouldn't really be based on how the GM awards it, it's a player resource, not XP.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 07-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
This does not align with how I feel changes to Edge have been communicated by developers. What was it? "The process of how Edge evolved is the longest, most detailed process in the whole game.", says a Q&A. I'm not talking uncertainty here - I'm talking where the big changes to the gameplay lie and how I am not so cool with it.

But you know, that's just the first quote I pulled out of a hat - but almost every interview seems to talk a lot about edge in some capacity or other. Most reviews about the specifics talk about how it's one of the biggest changes, so I've not a lot of uncertainty that it will make a change to how the whole things plays. If it didn't then what good is a new edition anyway? Not sure if your reading is supposed to downplay what this edition is trying to do differently.

It also sounds like there are situations when the players force edge, not the other way around. "Edge now represents the accumulated advantage you get in opposed situations," does not sound like Gm is supposed to capriciously ignore when a player gets himself in an objectively better position or just dish the points out when he feels like things are stalling - instead the edge must flow when it logically should. And as I said - not sure I like that gameplaywise. It has a Fate-Like quality to it, with positive and negative aspects weighing against each other each round so you know if you are on top or going under.

Last edited by Phettberg; 07-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
Nstol Nstol Nstol
I guess the GM can define it more as a mechanic that refreshes only as you use any skills so just the rate you regain is more constant. That way you can have say, something that you use easily and often as charger.
But that way using a skill in a difficult situation and succeeding is not rewarded as much by the GM as they have no control.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Any group has the prerogative to change or ignore rules - or just to write their own I guess. But if it is really true that more components of the game will make use of the expanded edge system (and there are certainly interviews that say that they will, one example here.) then the gm tampering with how often edge is gained will impact balance tremendously. As it is what you said seems to be the norm anyway, with the ability to gain up to two edge per action. I wonder if this will lead to speed builds becoming quite powerful.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
I wonder if this will lead to speed builds becoming quite powerful.
I'm calling my first Shadowrun 6th Edition character Sonic.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Actually I realise now this is probably why they have made it harder to gain more than two major actions in a round (I assume minor actions don't figure into gaining edge, but I could be wrong here) - so another incident of edge probably influencing other design choices.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
Nstol Nstol Nstol
From the discussions, it seems like the design goals this time around included a need to simplify the action cycles some.

Old Today, 06:46 AM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
Nstol Nstol Nstol
The article discussing the new Decker rules is released.

Last edited by Nstol; Today at 06:47 AM.