Ready Players 1 & 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
rimsey777's Avatar
rimsey777 rimsey777 is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 28th, 2012
RPXP: 21
rimsey777
Posts: 12
Ready Players 1 & 2

This is where we will start the Game.
I will post the introduction shortly.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
I do approve of the name of the post. I stand ready.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:58 AM
rimsey777's Avatar
rimsey777 rimsey777 is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 28th, 2012
RPXP: 21
rimsey777
Posts: 12
By the sweat of your brow

Dawn was coming fast.
The light from the new day was starting to chase the starry sky to the other end of the world, people from all over Deepwaters were stirring into what could reasonably be called awake. Parched lips of the settlement guards were quick to blow on the horn signalling the time to wake. All throughout the half-buried, sand choked, and formerly dead city people rose to continue the work set forth by Daerius Fellhammer, ruler of this living sepulcher.
Torrents of sunlight pour from the east across the Starry Sea lending warmth from the cool night, all to soon though, its waxing might will prove ever indifferent to the suffering of the men toiling at the city walls.
Creaking wagons laden with clay jugs of teetering water slowly moved towards the crumbling front gates. Signs of renewal could be seen if one were to look closely enough, here and there bricks and stone blocks had been replaced while defenses were fortified. None could deny the changes that were slowly occurring to the outer walls as 1000 or more men chased away the deepest sand dunes which languished so lazily against the walls.
It was a strange feeling this city had, something almost akin to a seed ready to sprout, and in time bloom again.
Cracked masonry still needed many months of work, while the city inside yet remained to be unburied, all the while crops demanded constant attention. It would not be soon that this city truly lived again.

Daerius Fellhammer has set the two of you to the yoke with the other men along the outer wall shoveling sand. Each of you came with an expertise of sorts, one who could make water for the men, and the other a man of no small strength. Your names are as hollow and unknown as the pauper grave, but in time, like all things, it will change.
Your crew is composed of 20 men, and 1 man in charge. His name is Gerren Yezt, but his eyes say he is a lost man.
It is here the two of you have met, either by fate or by misfortune to work for the best interest of the city.

It is April 20th, this Year of the Weeping Martyr and with another month to go the small settlement will find a seldom held occasion for celebration.
The Night Guiding.
A simple ceremony in which the gathered couples of the city send floating lanterns up from the sea shore in hopes of guiding the souls of their coming children to the womb. If only things were so simple.
Your mutual friend Relstome is a sprightly man of just 20, wiry muscles adorn an oft hungry frame. His hair is colored just like the sand that you shovel this treacherously hot day, but his humor is something that cools the spirit. And that twice broken hawk nose of his always curiously out of line.
It is at the base of the wall farthest south of the main gate where your life changes.
A bearer of bad news, change, humor, or food? You do not know, but he is currently jogging towards the two of you from over 400 feet away.
Describe what you are wearing, what you're holding, and what you say or do.
Remember, the leader Gerren isn't one to suffer idle hands....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
I am wearing simple but tough garbs made by my slightly over protective mother, though my face is not always covered anytime I am exposed to the elements I do not enjoy having my soft features eing carved off of my face from the blistering sand.

I am going to take a quick glance around to see if Yetz is watching, for my own accord. Regardless of wether or not he is watching I am going to grab a small pitcher and the smallest handworking tool I can find and make my way towards him.

I will offer him the pitcher that has a few cups of water inside. And I will wait to see if he has anything to say.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:46 PM
nat twenty4life's Avatar
nat twenty4life nat twenty4life is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 15th, 2012
RPXP: 0
nat twenty4life
Posts: 12
A cheap but fairly durable pair of slacks, and due the excessive sweat from laboring no shirt. With my poor memory it's safe assume that I will forget its location. A necklace is worn around my neck, made from the teeth of giants. I hold this at a very high value. Curious by his hastened demeanor I prop my digging utensil up on my shoulder and strut towards the man, seeing water being offered I will use this as my excuse for stopping my work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM
rimsey777's Avatar
rimsey777 rimsey777 is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 28th, 2012
RPXP: 21
rimsey777
Posts: 12
So it begins

"Iratus!" the jovial voice of Relstome called.
His pace started to slow and he was closing in to both the man and his water, a look of appreciation flooded his face.
Looking beyond him Relstome noticed Marcus strolling up as well. His giant size was something to behold when viewed at a distance but up close it would be nerve wracking to have him dislike you. Relstome nods at Marcus in a way to acknowledge his presence.
"Iratus, I came with some news for you, also, could I have a drink of that, I'm boiled alive by my own sweat."
Reaching out to accept the offered cup he laughed while he started to slow his breathing down. Bending forward at the waist he puts his cup out while Iratus fills it.
"Gods alive, thanks." he pants and splashes some water on his face and then with a greedy gulp finishes the cup.
Standing upright again you both notice the water starting to bead up on his twice broken nose, and freckled face.
Pointing to the tall warrior with a mighty shovel, he speaks.
"You're Marcus if I remember right?" his tone sarcastic and familiar to both men
"I couldn't tell with all that knobby head of yours blocking the sun." he laughs.
"Anyway, I was told to get the two of you and Gerren. Apparently someone important is gathering up a few teams of men for a scouting run to scavenge supplies. He was told by some guards that a half-ogre was working the south end of the wall and a man who could conjure water worked with him, naturally they thought you good choices."
He chuckles, "I guess we are going to find out, I get the 'Honor' of going with you two on your little excursion."
"Well, we better not keep them waiting, I'm going to talk to Gerren right now, get everything you need together I doubt you'll be coming back here."
As Relstome is talking the watchful eyes of Gerren have locked on to your small group. They narrow in suspicion but he says nothing.
Gerren turns back to the work force in front of him and starts barking out more commands as a man has a pile of sand starting to topple on him. You both hear him yelp in surprise as the massive pile of gritty sand shift like a slow motion wave, and Marcus recognizes the man as Ultimar, a weak man by his standards, to Iratus a common gambler with no name.
A small group of 6 men are starting to excavate Ultimar but it looks like he will be swallowed up in short order if they continue to halfheartedly help him.


DM TIME:
You can make a Sense Motive check on either Relstome or Gerren if you want.
Also, the sand pile that is shifting looks to be about 10 feet high and 20 feet wide, while it could be deadly to lesser men, you think the man it is currently falling on could be fine.... But who knows.
Patrick your turn.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
*I extend my hand towards marcus*

"It is nice to have officially met you! As you heard my comrade, My name is Iratus. I am curious to the endavor that has been beset upon us. I would hope that we can..." Upon realizing that the sand dune is about to possibly fall on that worker I break mid conversation and run to him and pull him out of the way. We cant afford to lose men for no good reason. If the man is saved and does not obtain any injuries my next intentions are to offer a cup of water to Marcus and ask him if he would accompany me to whereever Gerren is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 10:12 PM
nat twenty4life's Avatar
nat twenty4life nat twenty4life is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 15th, 2012
RPXP: 0
nat twenty4life
Posts: 12
I observe Iratus attempt to save our fellow worker. "Ha! Quite a save lad". I extend my hand outright to greet him and give a firm shake. "Well met! It nice to meet a friendly face in these times". I turn to to Relstome. " Ha a fine joke indeed! This height of mine will be the bane of me yet. And a half ogre you say? I had thought myself a bit more handsome then that!" I let out a thunderous laugh and pat our new friend on the shoulder. "Well I will quickly gather my belongings and be back. Now where did I leave that damn shirt of mine...." I return with in minutes with my few possessions. I quickly down Iratus's offered water and turn to him once more. "A fine refreshment. I shall return this generosity in time Iratus. Well I suppose now is the time to mince words with Gerren friend. Shall we be off?

Last edited by nat twenty4life; Sep 7th, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
rimsey777's Avatar
rimsey777 rimsey777 is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 28th, 2012
RPXP: 21
rimsey777
Posts: 12
Iratus extends his hand in a formal manner to the "Half-orge" Marcus, "It is nice to have officially met you! As you heard my comrade, My name is Iratus. I am curious to the endavor that has been beset upon us. I would hope that we can..."
Marcus replies, "Well met! It nice to meet a friendly face in these times"
Iratus noticed the pile of sand shifting, his eyes drawn to the movement of something so large.
Relstome looks on as Iratus simply breaks mid-conversation to go help the welching gambler.
Marcus looks back at Relstome, "Ha a fine joke indeed! This height of mine will be the bane of me yet. And a half ogre you say? I had thought myself a bit more handsome then that!" Tensions washed off Relstomes shoulders and a smile broke out across his freckled face. Suddenly a mighty bellowing laugh from Marcus catches some off guard by its sheer volume, what would be strained to others was simply normal for him it seemed. Hands gloved in callouses swatted the thin shoulders of Relstome with good humor.
"Well I will quickly gather my belongings and be back. Now where did I leave that damn shirt of mine...."
Searching about for his shirt Marcus simply takes no notice of the others, why should he, a weak man gets what weak men always get, something they can't weasel out of.
Iratus moves with a lively jog to quickly help a man he doesn't know. With any luck it will be a quick pluck and back to break for him. Not so on this day.
A tumultuous roar occurs as the sand starts to pile on faster and faster. Much like a wall of water it knocks Ultimar on his back and proceeds to bury him alive. All the while it spreads out to catch the other men who were initially helping, swamping them up to the midriff in sand. Towering above the massive pile of sand is the uncaring bleached walls that you've been working to uncover. Men on the scaffolds leaning on the wall are watching the events unfold beneath them.

Garren barks the commands, "Iratef, Marcus, Iratus, Lomlo, get over there and get that man out. Show those "men" how to get it done." "And you," he points to Relstome, "get over there and help them. I don't have time for dicking around, nor do I have the bodies to waste." Gritting his teeth at the sloppy job his men had started and as a result entrapped themselves Garren seemed not so far away from getting his fist in someones face.
It was then he noticed Iratus already in action moving in to help Ultimar before it worsened, he noted this for later. That northerner though, imbecile for muckin about holding that water like it was gonna help a man buried alive.
With a quick dodge Iratus manages to avoid the oncoming cascade of sand by backpedaling a few steps. Holding nothing back he drives his legs into the pile pumping his legs to gain footing and height. Achieving what he believes is the place Ultimar fell Iratus falls to his hands and knees letting his hands dig deep, driving away the pile handful by handful.
Iratus found the sand yielding but hard to move in mass. As adapted to water as he was he knew he need more surface area to make a dent, with a quick glance he found what he needed.
Around Iratus 6 other men were buried much like crops, in one of their hands he spied a shovel entirely above the pile.
Reaching over he snatches it without a word and begins to dig.
A mans life might depend on it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 01:31 AM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
dig check

Last edited by sykosarrade; Sep 10th, 2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: learning
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 01:52 AM
nat twenty4life's Avatar
nat twenty4life nat twenty4life is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 15th, 2012
RPXP: 0
nat twenty4life
Posts: 12
"By Croms righteous beard! Can no one handle a simple pile of dirt?!" Marcus bellows while throwing his water to the ground. He stomps angrily towards the scene, looking around for any tools that might assist him. Seeing the cascade of sand Marcus glances around for a large sheet of metal or strong wood with which he could divert the sand flow.

Perception check-
Dice Roll:
d20+1 (7)+1 Total = 8

Last edited by nat twenty4life; Sep 10th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
I see Marcus approaching with a bit of a scowel on his face and decide that it would be best if I were to stand out of the way on this one, I offer him the shovel and step aside. I read his face and discern he is looking for something larger than the shovel already in my hands, If he doesnt take the shovel I will resume to dig for these mens lives.

I take the quick moment to look up and see Gerren shouting orders rapidly and with a gaining look of fury on his face. He is a slightly scary man so I think that what i have just done may have saved me a little bit of a beraitment. I know im no weakling but Im not confident against foes such as him. I hope Marcus to be a good man that I can see eye to eye with, I have never had a good friend. He seems warm hearted enough, i think I will attempt to become his friend. I wonder if anyone else is watching?

Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9


http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=33799
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
nat twenty4life's Avatar
nat twenty4life nat twenty4life is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 15th, 2012
RPXP: 0
nat twenty4life
Posts: 12
I look around for any kind of large sheet to divert the sand, there are none within eyesight. This of course only adds to my aggravation. While searching I spot Gerren barking orders. Bah, another weak fool looking for others to do his dirty work *I spit on the ground in disgust*. I will pay him no heed, lest I let my tongue get me in more trouble. I will not throw the first punch with this man, not that it would take a second. I only hope my new friends stay my hand when the time comes. Iratus appears to be very level headed, I hope in time to become better friends with the boy. It would seem we are very different in many ways, both of us capable of complimenting eachothers weaknesses. As I think this I spot Iratus eyeing me, shovel outstretched. "Iratus friend! Let me take that tool off your hands, it would seem these men need a firm lesson in strong labor!" I grab the shovel from his hands, it feels similar to a feather in my hands. This sand will be made short work of. "Iratus good work friend, It would seem you have a keener eye then I". Before departing in a muffled tone I say quietly to him "Come soon I will need your support friend, If Gerren does not control his temper it will eventually clash with my own. My tounge is made of lead, not silver. And another confrontation I cannot afford". With that I sprint over to the sand pile and begin to dig. "Fear not friends, you will be out in but a moment!"

Dig check.
Dice Roll:
d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:23 PM
sykosarrade's Avatar
sykosarrade sykosarrade is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 9th, 2012
RPXP: 0
sykosarrade
Posts: 13
I bring Marcus in close, "Worry not, if he truly cared for his men hw would be over here helping us dig, he is a cruel and unjust man. And while your stature sure is intimidating and you have a short fuse it is clear your heart be in a good place, otherwise you would not have been here and now. You could have been surviving on your own quite easily, these people have no amount of gratitude for everything you offer them. Even though we have just met I feel I can trust you. In times such as these one can always have a friend looking out for you. After all, i get the feeling we wont be staying here too much longer."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
rimsey777's Avatar
rimsey777 rimsey777 is offline
Very Young Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 28th, 2012
RPXP: 21
rimsey777
Posts: 12
"By Croms righteous beard! Can no one handle a simple pile of dirt?!"
Words spoken with fury by a man who was in fact fury incarnate.
Several men flinched at his bellow, either in shame or fear, perhaps even admiration.
Every man watched the pair work with speed and power, Iratus with his hands moving in a blur and Marcus shoveling as much as the spade would hold.
Short work was made of the pile as the other men started to gather under the lead of these two. Ultimar was unconscious but unscathed. It was a lucky day for a man who gambled more often than he should.

With a final mighty heave Marcus manages to uproot the last impromptu crop of workers.
Standing together under a morning sun, the men seemed to beam at the trio.
Maybe these men were a good choice thought Relstome, who knows, they just might save his life.
While everyone was gathered around the trio, Relstome thought it time to break the news.
"Everyone listen up, your gracious heroes must leave you all at once!" groans broke out from among the gathered assembly.
"I know, I know, terrible shame to see such good men go! Am I right?" his bluish eyes taking in the grizzled faces of men who would soon be singing praises of the would be heroes. And if he was lucky some girls might just hear about it as well, and if he played his cards right, who knows?
"A bit of good news though, it looks like someone is getting a promotion here!" All the men looked confused. Staring to the right and left as if though the person receiving it would step forward.
Holding the attention of the men if only for a second, Relstome paused, "Congratulations Garren, you're no longer working here! You get to come with the astute and learned Iratus, the mighty and ferocious Marcus, and a man who is needing no introduction, myself."
Silence hung in the air as men took in the news, and slowly turned to look at Garren.
His face was one of confusion, "What do mean promotion? And why am I going anywhere with the likes of you three?"
Relstome grinned and flourished the small parchment he had slid out of his belt into the hands of Garren.
"Its all in there, apparently the imminent Daerius Fellhammer wishes the four of us to go meet him and his lieutenants for reassignment."
Garren snatched the roll from Relstomes hand with something akin to disbelief.
Unrolling with great care as if though it were a trap he slowly read the contents. Dumbstruck at its meaning and implications he simply shook his head in resignation.
"Poshtin," Garren said sullenly, "you're in charge now."
Cheers erupted from the workers as a fellow friend was now promoted to the head of management. Poshtin was taking it all in, smiling in embarrassment.
Turning to face the three of you Garren speaks.
"Gather up your things, if I know Daerius, we might never come back." His mood was melancholy, and spirits crushed. It was as if a death sentence had been issued for him.
With deliberate paces Garren starts toward his small pile of belongings under the shade of an overhang.
Relstome turns to the two of you.
"That went better than I expected."



DM Time:
Once you have finished up gathering you things, you are free to message me and say you are ready, when both of you are ready we will proceed to the assembly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB