twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Feb 24th, 2023, 04:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2
I'll have to see if I can exhume my 3rd edition pdfs from a crashed hd tomb.

Pending the results for that, tentativly posting interest, and a question or two.

You mentioned not wanting to ban stuff, but would being an alien, magic user or robot be viable? Might just be flavor, but I wouldn't want to go too wild, and then have to rewrite things to "fit".
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Stolen drinks taste best

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40763
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
So the Apocalypse didn’t hit, just terrorist attacks, which apparently spread radiation around. So not every city was destroyed and there’s still a lot of cities left? Just zones across the country/world that were razed?

Edit: reread the premise. I believe my question was answered. Sorry I had just arrived home from work.

Last edited by FoggyKnight; Feb 24th, 2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 05:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3237
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Do we need to make a character sheet now, or wait until after the selection process?
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22142
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Fairly important consideration: What PL and point total are we starting at?
I had a very rough week topped off by a death in the family and another in the ICU. I've been out of state dealing with family matters and needed to get back to normalcy but I'm back home and ready to get back to things. I'm sorry to have disappeared so suddenly but it was a serious emergency.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 06:50 PM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30056
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
As far as I know, PL 7 and standard. I’m not the GM though, obviously. :P
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 09:33 PM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30056
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
I might have an idea for this one. I do request that this one be linked with another app, like this guy is actually someone one of the other characters knew before the Orange Sky Event if nobody will know that at first.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: "Gremlin". Gremlin is absolutely certain that he had an actual birth name, but doesn't remember it.
Age: "Young. Adult.". Gremlin doesn't remember his real age and he never willingly takes off his helmet so it's impossible to guess.
Concept: Homeless, Amnesiac Cyber-King

Physical Description: Gremlin is rarely if ever seen without his trademark high-tech helmet. In fact it's rare for any of his skin to be seen at all as he usually wears loose, baggy clothes with high collars. He appears to also be wearing high tech boots and mismatched gloves, one obviously also technologically advanced.

If you did manage to get his clothes off you'd discover that he's not just wearing a helmet, boots, and a glove. Significant parts of his body have been replaced by cybernetic enhancements including his entire right leg and arm, most of his left leg, and a good chunk of the right side of his head including the eye. And there's a generous serving of scars on the flesh of his body as well. It looks like he happened to be standing next to a bomb when it went off, and that's not far from the truth.

Personality: Gremlin is first and foremost a survivor. One of Discord City's homeless, he tries to just blend into the background when it comes to the physical world. Something that when he puts his hood up he does surprisingly well as long as you're not trying to make eye contact. He seems to be a bit prone to hording at a glance, but he actually tends to make things with what he gathers and some of his creations are shockingly advanced.

Obviously in need of help, he does show a decent streak and tries to do what he can to help the genuinely needy. Sometimes that means hacking bank accounts but he figures if he sticks to people who are jerks to the homeless it works out. Also has a bit of a dry sense of humor and is sometimes prone to refering to himself in the third person with a bit of genre-savvy. Does get a chuckle about how he's clearly got super-powers and refers to comic-book tropes in his personal life. He needs a bit of help, and he's healing as he can. Interestingly while he has large gaps in his memory his powers have partially computerized his mind. As such recently he's starting to be able to access the data of his lost memories if not the emotional connections.

Powers: Gremlin's unique mutation is essentially a natural cyberneural inferface in his brain. A cyberpath, he has the ability to interact with computers like a telepath can do to people and this makes him arguably the best hacker in the world. This also gives him an insight with machines and computers to make him so good at repairs and fabrication of machines it counts as a power.

Having to rebuild large portions of his own body, the robotic portions of his body are noticably tougher then normal human anatomy and he keeps assorted built-in attachments and tools. A proper cyborg, his body is *way* more compatible to cyberization then a normal person's and it shows.

Gremlin
Background: For the record his birth name was Marc King, not that he remembers. He was the young, dramatically intelligent but spoiled Marc King of the King family. As in of King Industries fame. However, one of the terrorist bombs of the Orange Sky Event actually went off in a King Industries building and officially the King family was all killed. Marc actually survived, but he was comatose and so mangled and contaminated by the radiation and chemicals involved with the attacks that he was officially listed as a John Doe. He woke months later with no memory, heavy scarring, and missing 3 out of 4 of his limbs.

Feeling paranoid about hiding his identify if he didn't remember why, once he got access to a wheelchair he'd slowly sneak out to maker and machinist labs in and near the hospital to try to fix his body. He didn't know why he couldn't trust the official prosthetics available, but he had to make all the tech himself. Reprogramming the computers at the hospital to allow for surgical attachment of interfaces was not easy either but with how the computers started to whisper to him at night he managed.

When "John Doe" could sneak out without anyone watching, he attached his new limbs and did. He's been living on the streets ever since. His mind kept evolving though, interfacing with the computers around him at any given moment. Interestingly as his cyberpathy expands outward it also expands inward. Recently he's discovered that he can now access the "data" of his lost memories if not the emotional context. Maybe he'll remember his own name soon. Maybe he'll start recognizing faces. Maybe. Gremlin will just have to wait and see.

Complications:
  • Motivation - Doing Good - Gremlin was helped out when he was down by Discord City's homeless and he says he's just trying to return the favor and pay it forward. It's a dangerous world out there after all.
  • Deformities - Without his distinctive helmets and loose, baggy clothing one can easily see that 3 out of 4 of his limbs are cybernetic and he's covered in scars otherwise. Extensive cybernetics make up the functional difference but his physical apparence is *haunting*.
  • Amnesiac - Gremlin can access only some of his past memories and even then only the "data" and not the emotional context. He doesn't remember his own name for example.
  • Homeless - Gremlin has no permenant address and all that implies.
  • Whispers - Gremlin's powers can only partially be turned off and he frequently "hears" signals of machines and computers around him.
  • Secret - Gremlin believes that if anyone finds out his real name or identity before he does it would be very bad for him. He might be right.

RP Sample - Insert CoinThe Whispers in Gremlin’s ears never seem to stop. Even when he’s trying to sleep. Sometimes he takes pills to sleep anyway. Sometimes he’s just so tired that they don’t matter. Sleep never comes easy for Gremlin but some days are easier then others.

Fortunately when Gremlin needs a hotel room he just needs to find a hotel room where the system is relatively up to date. If the computers control everything he can work with it. He tried to not bring attention to himself, just hotels with lots of empty rooms, handicap accessibility, and he never gets the most expensive ones. His left eye opens with a start, the right eye socket has been empty for a while at least of anything he didn’t make himself.

A shower isn’t easy when you only have one natural limb but that’s what the handicap accessibility is for. He managed. After cutting the smell and drying off he can start putting his limbs on. The helmet has an access port for what was his old optic nerve. He never takes his helmet off in public. He slips out of the hotel, none the wiser except maybe the cleaning staff. He wires them a tip, just in case.

Today he walks past the old MGM Grand Hotel, or what was left of it. The lion head, in the memories he’s managed to recover a new one showed the head. Maybe this will help him recover more. Gremlin scampers closer. Maybe this will help him remember his name at least. Maybe. Maybe.

"Gremlin sees you there. Gremlin knows you are watching. Maybe do a favor for Gremlin and turn around?"

And the Security cameras actually listen...

Extra Credit: I just have a weakness for good stories. Plus Gremlin seems like a decent reluctant hero type.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Mar 10th, 2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 11:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 349
Vesper Vesper Vesper Vesper
Oh very interested! I've been away from the site for a while and nothing has really piqued my interest either until now!
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 11:34 PM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7049
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
I might have an idea for this one. I do request that this one be linked with another app, like this guy is actually someone one of the other characters knew before the Orange Sky Event
Oh wow what a great and conflicted character! You've done it again Gleeful. I would love to be someone you know - I will post app soon - and I think my character will contrast quite perfectly with Gremlin on many levels... family background, looks, theme of powers (techno vs natural) etc. And I'm semi-homeless too. I have not included anything about you yet in my background (need your permission!). Let's take this to PM to avoid cluttering the application thread?

EDIT: @Fairy Overlord my app is now posted in my original reply.

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 25th, 2023 at 12:09 AM. Reason: App post announcement
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 12:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
Do we need to make a character sheet now, or wait until after the selection process?
I think it'd be fine if you wanted to make it now. It's helpful to know if the concept you have in your head is going to work the way it did in your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors
PL7, standard power point spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage_mk2
would being an alien, magic user or robot be viable? Might just be flavor, but I wouldn't want to go too wild, and then have to rewrite things to "fit".
Magic user and robot are easy. Magic can just be the result of a mutation easily enough, and a robot could have easily been built after the Orange Sky Event by someone who got superhuman intellect or even some corporate entity.

Aliens are a little tougher, but possible. There's an NPC somewhere in the world who has the ability to pull things and people from books or other written materials like tabloids. This NPC exists for the sole reason of making it possible for non-human characters to exist in this setting. They just have to have been summoned here through them.

Last edited by Fairy Overlord; Feb 25th, 2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 01:10 AM
Duct Tape Mummy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5002
Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Lawrence 'Scary Larry' Grey
Concept: Congenial master of fear

Personality: Those who know Larry in passing would call him soft spoken and easy to get along with. His family and his few close friends would agree while adding that he is dependable and charitable to a fault. His major failing is a chronic lack of ambition. More than once he's missed out on opportunities to advance his career or education (or social connections) because he was too focused on trying to help someone else make their own move or distracted by a good cause. His laid back disposition means that he's rarely stressed by his slow progress toward major life goals, as long as he has a roof over his head. His parents, Gerald and Rachel, are not quite as content, since it is still their roof.

Background: Larry grew up in a comfortably middle class family where he chose to take it easy and do 'well enough' in school rather than really commit and excel. As the middle child between a relatively over-achieving older sister, Gloria, and a relatively troubled younger brother, Gabriel, he had little trouble setting his own agenda.

He didn’t find a real passion for anything until well into high school when he became involved with environmental conservation. As a result his social network consists largely of activists and biology nerds. His university career was initially fairly aimless but he has settled solidly into a psychology track, hoping to eventually take up a career in therapy. He still lives with his parents, to their increasing chagrin, and helps cover expenses by working at his uncle Fank’s antique shop.

Through sheer luck he and his immediate family were largely left unscathed by the devastating attacks that led to the orange sky. In the aftermath a general sense of duty, and more than a little survivor’s guilt, impelled him to put his education on hold (again) to volunteer with the relief effort. When his powers manifested he confided in his siblings. Each supported his decision to use his powers to help their community in their own way; Gloria using her corporate position and Gabriel with his street connections. Larry's vigilante career so far has focused on scaring off criminals attempting to leech off Orange Sky Event recovery and relief efforts. His results have been mixed.

Physical Description: Larry is about six feet tall with curly black hair that contrasts with his sky blue eyes. He keeps himself well groomed and tends to overdress, especially considering the relatively casual styles that have prevailed in the post-disaster world. Reasonably fit from his late teens on, Larry has been losing weight rapidly since his abilities began to manifest. His family is becoming concerned about his increasingly gaunt physique and sunken features, though he doesn't seem to have suffered any loss of strength or vigor. When seen in a dark environment, or out of the corner of one’s eye, he may instead appear as a nebulously terrifying mass of shadows.

Complications:
Motivation: Fear of power. "I have to find a way to use this to help people. If I don’t, I'm afraid I might use it for something else."
Secondary Motivation: (Other People's) Adrenaline Junkie: "Since all this started I've been going to the theater a lot. I don't really like scary movies all that much, but that way I can feel people's fear without causing it myself."
Unsettling aura: "On the up side, I usually have a seat to myself on the bus. On the down side, half the time the bus drivers won't stop to pick me up."
Family ties: "Uncle Frank? Listen, something came up. I won't be able to pick up cousin Eddie from school today. And could you call my mom and let her know I'll be late for dinner?" … “No, I can't call her myself!” … “Because she’ll ask where I’m going!”

Significant NPCs:
Sister, Gloria Grey: R&D technician at local faceless megacorp, Monochrome Inc.
Brother, Gabriel Grey: Semi-pro graffiti artist and founding member of The Spines, one of the city’s more civic minded semi-criminal gangs.
Uncle, Frank Modi: Owner/Proprietor of Modi's Antiques and Consignment.

Notes/Extra Credit: I've wanted to try out a fear oriented character for some time. I would like to explore the contrast/conflict between a fairly dark, potentially corruptive power set and a pleasant, 'low angst' personality and background.

It could turn out that his powers have turned him into a monster, driven to feed on the fear of others. It would be very difficult for him to recognize that since he sees himself as a good person, doing good things. If I take that route I would explore the ways that his powers have altered the way he thinks.

Alternatively I can see him being a strong moral center in a team, interested in doing things 'by the book' because he's worried if he starts breaking rules he'll start hurting people.

Either way, I think Larry's development will depend a lot on his interactions with the other PC's.

I would like his connection to his family to stay relevant (I will probably spend some points to that end) and part of that might be the usual complications, but I also hope that the support he gets there would become useful to the whole team. The darker path for Larry's development would involve his family continuing to support him only because they're afraid of him.

Since his powers have left him emotionally muted and essentially fearless I think it would be fun for him to be the 'cool head' and diplomatic voice when monsters and weird stuff come along.

Mechanically speaking, I think Larry is primarily going to use illusion, affliction and psychic damage with a bit of extra utility in the form of his fear-specific mind reading abilities. I'm pondering a defensive illusory aura if that seems legit (basically a creepy, glitching 'blur' effect boosting his dodge). I’m more concerned with the concept than the stats so I would try to work out a ‘Psychic/Fear Controller’ build that fits as things proceed.

Last edited by Phasmus; Mar 6th, 2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 02:31 AM
Wyrm
Outplay 2023

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4676
squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey
I'm interested in the idea of a superhero game, but I've never played Mutants and Masterminds.

Would you be teaching the game? Or would I need to buy a copy and read the book?
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 02:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 417
Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord Fairy Overlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirmonkey View Post
I'm interested in the idea of a superhero game, but I've never played Mutants and Masterminds.

Would you be teaching the game? Or would I need to buy a copy and read the book?
I can teach the game well enough for people who aren't sure how to play. That said, the basic rules are available for free on the internet here: https://www.d20herosrd.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 03:14 AM
Wyrm
Outplay 2023

Tools
User Statistics
squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Overlord View Post
I can teach the game well enough for people who aren't sure how to play. That said, the basic rules are available for free on the internet here: https://www.d20herosrd.com/
Oh perfect! I'll give it a look, I secretly love reading game rules
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 04:43 AM
Wyrm
Outplay 2023

Tools
User Statistics
Okay here's the concept that comes immediately to my mind, and which seems pretty fun to me, let me know if you think it could work for the style of game you're imagining, or if it needs some tweaking. The concept assumes the new-vegas setting you described, but could easily be adapted to any relatively urban place with a seedy side.

Burt Lockson
right-aligned image

Name: Burt Lockson (I don't think he would have a superhero name yet since he's not really a superhero yet, but could develop one in play)
Concept: Unsubtle thug turned empath by too-subtle powers he can't really handle

Background: The facts of Vegas were simple to Burt. Sometimes, people's legs need to be broken. Burt happily worked as a thug/enforcer/fixer type in Old Vegas for nearly two decades before the Orange Sky came. Someone cheating at cards? Trying to sneak where they don't belong? Drug dealers not offering up a cut? Burt was your guy, club and brass knuckles always ready to put the hurt on folks who needed hurting. Barbaric? Maybe, but Burt didn't care. It was easy, and paid well, and he was good at it. Good money meant good drugs, lots of food, a nice apartment, and beautiful women, and Burt loved all of those things.

That was how it was in Old Vegas. Burt will never shake from his memory the first time he tried breaking someone's legs in Discord City. His ears were inured to screams of pain, but his mind was not prepared for the sourness of the fear and heart-stopping dread that filled him when his club flew towards Ken Litwood's shins. He felt the terror of helplessness, the dread of staring into merciless eyes, the sickness of wondering what his wife would think of his mangled body. He couldn't do it. He couldn't keep hurting people like that. He lost his position and his standing, and now works odd-jobs around night city, hauling, moving, a little construction maybe. He struggles to make ends meet now, as the money from his old life is worth very little in this new world, and he can no longer do the only job he was ever really good at. Even the thought turns his stomach.

Personality: Burt is a simple man. He's direct, and unsubtle. He's a bit materialistic, he likes having nice things. He likes attractive people, and takes great offense at being called ugly (even though he is a little). He has poor social skills, having never had to care about other people before. Indeed, his powers have forced him to empathize with others for the first time since he dropped out of high school at 16. The sudden ability to feel what others feel has given him an uncomfortable revelation about the humanity of all those around him. Now he is a brusque, harsh man doing his best to make friends, to be nice, to learn how people expect to be spoken to when they aren't cowed by fear of a brute with a club.

Powers: Burt's psychic. He can hear the thoughts and emotions of others, and he can project thoughts, emotions, and ideas into the minds of others. Currently, his control of these powers is limited, and they sometimes subject him to emotions he doesn't want to feel, and share thoughts he'd rather keep private. (more info on this in the complications). In the hands of someone who could control them and who had some subtlety, these could be truly dangerous powers. Too bad Burt is a straightforward brutish oaf who can barely manage to keep other people's pain out of his mind.

Physical Description: Burt is a heavy, bulky, broad-shouldered, moderately-overweight hulk of a man. He is nearly 6 feet tall and nearly 300 pounds. He has a round face, with thinning greasy black hair, pudgy cheeks and chin, hard sharp eyebrows, a square nose, and cold dark eyes. He dresses nicely, even when doing manual labor, a habit which gets expensive.

Complications:
  • No Place to Belong (Motivation(Acceptance)): Burt's place in the world has been taken from him by his powers, and now he's lost, looking for a new place to belong, and new people to belong with.
  • Can't Keep Them Out (Disability): Burt has finally learned to silence the miscellaneous thoughts of passers-by. But he still hears thoughts and feels emotions that are especially powerful, particularly negative ones. This ranges from distracting to psychically debilitating.
  • Cant Keep It In (Accident): Burt has enough control over his power to project thoughts that people he looks at don't automatically know what he thinks of them. But when he feels especially strong emotions like fear, hatred, or love, he cannot help but project those emotions. This can cause consequences ranging from awkwardness to social disorder.
  • Unsubtle (Quirk): Burt is a simple man. He says what he means, and has no patience for scheming and machinations. This is especially difficult for him, given the subtle nature of his powers. He's trying to learn, but he learns slowly.
  • Ex-Thug (Reputation) : The list of people Burt has physically maimed is too long to count. The list of people who are mad about that is even longer. And now, without the backing of the organizations he once worked for, and with a limited willingness to defend himself with violence, those people pose a bigger threat to Burt than ever.
  • Expensive Tastes (Addiction) : Burt likes nice things. Nice food, nice clothes, nice beds, nice buildings, and attractive people. This gets expensive. (Note: I picture Burt as a casual user of recreational drugs. But drugs and addiction aren't topics I really want to explore with this character. While I've written this as an addiction since I think that's the category that fits it best, I see this more as a mixture of greed and materialism and vanity)

RP Sample (Optional):

Extra Credit:

Let me know what you think

Last edited by squirmonkey; Mar 9th, 2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Overlord View Post
Aliens are a little tougher, but possible. There's an NPC somewhere in the world who has the ability to pull things and people from books or other written materials like tabloids. This NPC exists for the sole reason of making it possible for non-human characters to exist in this setting. They just have to have been summoned here through them.
Oh dear, we have a Flabber, or Calender Man in setting? That's gonna be a riot.

Alien wise, I probably would have gone "unplanned tourist" (in other words; crashlanded) after a ship based malfunction.

Leaning far more towards a bot though, The good old AI issues and "they're gonna steal our jobs!" angle and beyond. I mean, who doesn't like trying to reason with anti AI/Robot ludites while at the same not snapping their spines in self defense...

No matter how expediant, or tempting, the latter solution might be.

The HD archeology seems to have been successful, so I can start digging through the books again and see if anything specific stands out to me, powers/abilities wise. Dont worry, I *probably* won't be pulling twin gatling guns out of thin-air.