Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1592
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipulus View Post
Hi Alemar,

The issue isn't the mechanics but the Fiends and fey just aren't known to even exist in this worldflavor, so if you find yourself compelled by the mechanics of a warlock patron, we can definitely make the mechanics work! For example, could your (mechanically) Fiend Warlock's patron be an arrogant Efreet lord?
Absolutely it could... Demons, or even a "Fallen" Genasi could all work I think? I have no idea how active you would even want to have the patron be... Other than the initial pact (and a possible marking) it could just be a base mechanic that was part of the Character's past. But it was a bit of a red flag that I wanted to make a fiendish character (in the sense of a Warlock) and that was directly called out in your opening post. It just felt like a bad way to start off, if you know what I mean. I've never played a Warlock before, and have wanted to give it a try, especially since Halloween is just around the corner. But I am also open to saving that for a different game, and just playing a different class. All depending on the types of applications you have, to try and fill a need versus being the fourth Barbarian Outlander to roll up on Radomir/Wobora.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post

Also, Warlocks don't have to be linked to Fiends or the Fey, lots of other Patron types out there.
Hey triedtherest, nice to see you again. I think I'm going to try for a Hexblade... But given the list of acceptable resources, there might not be as many as you might think?

PHB has ArchFey , Fiends , and Great Old One , as it's listed options. XGTE adds "Celestial" which gives Unicorns/Ki-Rin (Fey), Angels (I would argue same as Fiends, only positive instead of negative connotation), and Giants, as it's examples for Patrons. I'm not sure whether "A Mysterious Entity" Patron counts as fiend or not for Hexblade, but that's what I'm going to try for.

Last edited by Alemar; 10-04-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image
Name: Fabian Nightshadow
Species: Human
Class and Subclass: Hexblade Warlock

Appearance: Fabian is cloaked in royal blue, his prized possession, and only remaining memory of his parents. He has a scarred complexion, a gift from the hard, honest living he, and his folk, have wrought from the Old Forest. Fabian makes for quite the stark image, as he is of average height; but his build is taut, almost sickly. Yet still, there is a vestige of strength about him that is undeniable. A fortitude that might give one pause before confronting him. Brown eyes peer from beneath bushy eyebrows, and give the disturbing sense that they see right through whomever they are looking at, as if there was nothing there at all.

-X-X-X-
Outlander
Trait #1 I judge people by actions, not words.
Trait #2 I love a good insult, even if it's directed towards me.
Ideal The world is in need of new ideas, and bold actions.
Bond I sold my soul for knowledge, and I hope to win it back.
Flaw There is no room for caution in a life lived to it's fullest.

Additional Info:I've never played a warlock before; and with Halloween coming up, it felt like a good time thematically for me to try. The original subclasses looked to me like you would chose one of them, plus a Patron for expanded spells. But if I understand the Hexblade properly, it is it's own Patron? So I don't need to worry about re-flavoring anything? Just checking that is the case here...

Old 10-04-2020, 08:13 PM
Chaotic Good Mindflayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 525
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Application Status: Complete
To The North Application
left-aligned image

Name: Brunhilda Naldred
Race: Human
Class: Wizard(1) Rogue (2)

Ideal: Survival Where there's life, there's hope. If I remain alive and flexible, I can succeed.
Bond: My coven is my family, i will go to great lengths to ensure their well being.
Flaw: I find that most people are trustworthy. Hey, where's my belt pouch?
Trait (1): Slow I will not be able to escape as fast, but I'm better at outsmarting than out running!
Trait (2): Relentless I won't give up no matter what!

Appearance: Brunhilda has crystal blue eyes and hair that is the color of snow. She smells of wildflowers, honey and cedar boughs. Hilde stands broad shouldered and tall for a women of the north, who usually hunch by fires. However, most women see Hilde's straight back, and admire her fortitude. Hilde has a sun weathered, snow bitten complexion. The tip of her nose has gone black from frosts bite. She wears a boiled leather jacket over her down robes. Her fur boots keep warm her wrinkled toes. Hilde's cheery laugh is seldom heard, save by those who visit her tincture shop. Those at the sweat lodge are astonished to see that Hilde wears many tattoos. She is flexible and lean, although stiff and sore because of her age. However, her craft keeps her health soaring, as her tonics and rubs are good for the aching bones and spirit.

Why This Character: I want Brunhilda to be a (War magic) Wizard - (Swashbuckler) Rogue multi-class. The thought of a combat effective grandma is hilarious and inspiring. Additionally, a rogue - wizard cross class will be a very fun and versatile build. Brunhilda's personality is really enjoyable to role play, and i feel that she would be fun to engage with in narrative.
Overall, the far north thematic just called me to build weathered, hardy, white haired Brunhilda!
Mostly inspired by the old world grandmothers of the Scandinavian north, i feel connected to her wit & roguish qualities.
Please consider Hilde for Into the North!

Backstory: Brunhilda is a rugged grandmother, who lives in the town of Radomir. She runs a small spiced tonic stand at the market, and usually spends her evenings with her 'book club' the Crow Foot Coven.
Hilde used to wander far afield in search of rare components that would be of use to her coven. She's learned to be quick on the foot and in the mind because of those adventures, but she figured that those days were mostly behind her. Hanging upon an armor rack in her sleepy cottage, is her old boiled leather gambeson along with her rapier, shortbow and daggers. Nearby is her explorers pack, which gathers dust in the hallway closet.
Brunhilda sometimes gazes at them as she wonders if she'll ever use her gear again.

Recently, the prices of powdered metals and fine gems has tripled in town, this because of the nearby Grand School of Wizardry in Ormund stockpiling components.
This affected the coven dearly, as they could no longer cast important rituals. However, Brunhilda saw this as the opportunity that she had been waiting for.
She had heard old stories of collapsed mines in the mountains to the north that were full of such components. Surely she could find her own source, and bring back an abundance for her coven and the town.
A divine chance presented itself, when on the very night that she was to declare her plans to her coven, she saw a notice posted upon Wobora's door.

Writing/RP Sample:

It was late evening in Radomir and Brunhilda stood upon a frozen dirt and rock lane.

The air had become thick with snow and wind, and so

Brunhilda paused her walk for several moments as she sheltered in a nearby alley.

That’s when a loud Bang! from nearby caught her attention.

Whirling on her heel, Hilde fixed her gaze on the source of the commotion.

Brunhilda turned a peevish eye to the cracked boards and slapping shutters of a ramshackle home.

'Somebody ought to get some proper nails in their shutters. Wait, what's that about?' She quizzically fixed her eye upon the dim porch.

With a snap of her fingers, a red orb of light appeared by the door. " Ahh, that's better" Hilde remarked aloud.

The dim red glow began to reveal a stained piece of parchment nailed to the door.

Hilde stepped gingerly over the rotted porch boards, and walked carefully closer.

She craned her nose nearer to the curling paper and squinted harshly at the cramped writing.

' Ehh, what's this?' Brunhilda's creased cheeks began to lift up into a smile. ' Help wanted, journey to the north.. Crystal Sphere?'

After reading the note for some moments, she stood there and took a deep breath. Raising her calloused knuckles, Brunhilda knocked thrice, as she said.

"Wobora, you old fool! What's got you so worked up?"

While she waited, she couldn't help but smile about her good fortune.

Brunhila has lived in Radomir for enough time to know which houses have what shrines to each elemental deity. She knows the cycles of the sleepy village like the back of her hand.
Brunhilda is comforted by the hardiness of the practical peoples, who cut their life from the harsh northern lands. Over all, she remembers Radomir as the place where she was raised, and will forever be grateful to it’s warm hearths.

Last edited by Aoem; 10-10-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1917
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
My application for Brewmaster Borkin is now complete.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1667
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer

Character's Name: Hroana Viskova
Species (Race): Human (Standard)
Class and Subclass: Cleric (Tempest) 2/Sorcerer (Storm) 1
Background: Acolyte
Personality Trait: I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
Personality Trait: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
Ideal: Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld. (Lawful)
Bond: Radomir is my home, and I will give everything I have to protect this community.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Appearance: Hroana is a short, sturdily-built woman who is occasionally mistaken for a particularly tall Dwarf, largely by people who have met very few actual Dwarfs. She has narrow, hazel eyes that lend a permanently skeptical expression to her face, which is at odds with her largely outgoing personality. Hraina's hair is long, dirty-blond, and without exception worn loose in order to catch the wind. When not in armor, she favors warm, loose-fitting clothing in a variety of blues and grays, tending to eschew the more formal robes worn by priests down south. Her complexion is sufficiently pallid that she tends to look ill, even when in the most robust of health.

Backstory:

What draws me to the character: The down-to-earth provincial cleric with a folksy charm has been a RP type I've thought about for a while. There's always been a little bit of tension with wanting to have a charismatic religious character, because it's hard to have a character with sufficient wisdom and charisma for the part, and yet decent survivability. At the same time, I've always thought Tempest Domain was cool, but was a little put off by the fact that they don't get access to a lot of the lower-level thunder and lightning attack spells. So the logical conclusion was to multiclass with storm sorc, and I feel like this setting with its elemental focus is perfect for this multiclass.

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; 10-05-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Another app has a similar name, so slightly changed mine
Old 10-05-2020, 03:07 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 503
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I have to withdraw my application, Real life demands more of my time and effort. Thank you for the chance to make a character.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 554
Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipulus View Post
The deadline for applications is currently October 20. If I receive many applications before then, I may close early.
How many is "many?" And would you give a couple of days' notice if you do plan to close early?
Old 10-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus Discipulus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
How many is "many?" And would you give a couple of days' notice if you do plan to close early?
Hi Nemesis,

Thank you for reminding me to change that! I'll just be sticking with the 20th.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:10 AM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 663
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
Edited after feedback!

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Vitalie Dovrunzeld
Species (Race): Fire Genasi
Class and Subclass: Sorcerer (Phoenix Soul)
Background: Guild Artisan (Guild Merchant)

Characteristics:
  • Personality Trait: (1) I don't pay attention to risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds. (2) I'm a perfectionist. If I can't get something just right, I get discouraged and gloomy.
  • Ideal: Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
  • Bond: My mother is my hero. I want to make her proud.
  • Flaw: I am brave to the point of recklessness.

Appearance: A single glance is all that is needed to know that Vitalie is element-touched. Her skin is a dull taupe, her ears taper to a point, her eyes are solid embers, and her otherwise dark brown hair fades into a flame-like glow. At age 19, she stands 5'7" tall, and is lithe and rangy. Vitalie's body naturally runs hot and so she does not wear as many layers as most do this far north. What clothes she does wear are often singed, especially so around her hands. The compass she always carries around her neck is a precious gift from her mother.

Backstory:

Why this character? I started off seeing the bit about element-touched humans and went straight for a Genasi sorcerer because it sounded cool! I chose Fire simply because it would be fun in the cold environment, and then built her personality up from there. I've always liked characters who are driven by curiosity and adventure because they're things I crave for myself irl, and then realized I hadn't made a character like that yet. Vitalie's "perfectionism" arose from the idolization of her mother and the work ethic at the glassworks, but instead of that being her driving force, it's her limiter because she compares herself to them. I've been playing a lot of fully optimistic characters lately, so I wanted to inject a bit of pessimism. In addition, the volatile nature of the Phoenix Sorcerer and the resulting wariness of those around them sounded interesting to play. Most of what I've written for Vitalie's backstory is because I enjoy interweaving characters into the setting and want for them to have personal ties to where they are/go, so I hope what I have accomplishes that!

Last edited by InMemoriam; 10-13-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
wayfinder wayfinder
Sadly, I'll withdraw from the game. Have fun, everyone!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4569
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Kota Sarkany
Species (Race): Human (Variant)
Class and Subclass: Fighter 3 (Battle Master)
Background: Reskinned Acolyte. Skills and languages the same, just need to work on a different feature as there are probably not too many cults around.Former Cultist

Personality Trait: After killing the god I followed since birth, I now have a strong disdain for most gods in general and prefer to be reliant only on myself.
Personality Trait: I was heavily sheltered as a youth, and still have strange mannerisms from my cult such as bloodletting and blood drinking.
Ideal: I fight for honor and glory, and to receive the wealth and acclaim I never had.
Bond: Honor is everything to me, and I will fight to preserve mine to my dying breath.
Flaw: There are still members of my former cult who would love to kill me for my blasphemy.

Appearance:
Kota Sarkony is a tall, broad shouldered man with a thick chest and heavy limbs. He has olive skin and short black hair cut close to his scalp, with strong handsome features that have a regal bearing to them. His brown eyes are steely and hard, and he is square jawed and clean shaven. He stands with good confidence and posture as most well trained men at arms do, and when he speaks his tone is deep and warm as one who is well acquainted to speaking in public. He wears well maintained but dull heavy armor, with a sturdy looking sword at his side and a unique round shield which looks heavily battered but the insignia on it appears to be a hand bleeding into a goblet below it.

Backstory:
Kota's memories from childhood until he became a man were all lies. Born and raised in an underground temple deep in the midwest of Radomir, Kota remembers his parents telling him how lucky they and he were to live in the presence of a god. And that god was Ambrus Sindel. Ambrus was a tall, lanky man with hair as black as night and possessed a personality so magnetic he had a few dozen commoners worshipping the very ground he walked on. From a small backwater village with little education and dull minds, these villagers were easy to manipulate and sway to the desires of Ambrus Sindel. Possessing magical abilities beyond their ken and supernatural abilities, to them Ambrus was a god. All he asked for in return for his generosity and love was a simple blood sacrifice - a cut to the hand for everyone to donate some blood into a goblet which Ambrus would then drink, thus signaling their unity. In reality, Ambrus Sindel was a vampire who had grown weary of the hunt and instead just wanted to be served and worshipped. Due to the ignorance of the commoners and how few vampires actually existed in Ormend, none knew the difference, so Ambrus was treated beyond royalty and had an army of gullible workers to do everything he asked. He was now the official god of the Temple of the Blood Goblet.

Kota remembers the worship ceremonies from his earliest of days, and how he always had small scars on his body from the daily bloodletting. Worship services started as soon as they arose, and then they would have a light breakfast before beginning the day's labors. At the middle of the day, they would hold worship once again and after the bloodletting they would eat heartily before having a short rest. Then it was more labor and martial drills for the men until it was time for the evening worship. Soup and bread before retiring for the night in their individual family caves, and then right back to it the very next day. Everyone was fervent in their beliefs, and those who had their faith quaver just up and left in the night, seemingly never to return. A tall youth who grew strong from digging and expanding the caves as well as working the agricultural fields, Kota joined the men in their martial drills at an early age and showed talent in that area. Ambrus Sindel was a crafty and intelligent warrior, and he instilled all the knowledge he could on the men of the Temple of the Blood Goblet as they were his first line of defense. They even guarded his special room where no one entered as it was a portal to the heavens.

Once Kota became a man, he was soon trusted enough to become one of the personal guards of Ambrus Sindel. He and several other of the best warriors would escort him to worship services, to the library in between worship services, and then finally to his special room where he meditated and blessed all those who put their faith in him. They even partook in sips of the Blood Goblet from time to time. It was because of this promotion where Kota discovered what Ambrus really was. Ambrus had grown complacent with his charade due to so many years of living it that he forgot to secure his door properly one night. As Kota went to close the door which had creaked open, he could not help but peek to what he thought was a gateway to the heavens. Instead he saw Ambrus lying prone in a coffin with his hands crossed over his body - a vampire! Kota's faith was rocked but he knew he had to keep up the charade to protect himself and to decide what to do. During his time off, he managed to get his hands on one of the restricted books and learned all he could about vampires - and how to kill them. Kota even made a stake in secret which he started to keep hidden on his person - he knew he could incapacitate Ambrus with the stake, but how do you kill a creature underground who is only damaged by the sun and water?

And then, success. During one of the most recent temple expansions, the cultists opened up a large hole to an underground river. They began to close it up the best they could, but could not finish before the evening rest. That night, once Kota was alone on his guard post, he put his plan into action. He staked the unsuspecting Ambrus Sindel and carried him through several chambers to the water's edge. The cultists began swarming around him, stunned at his appearance, but Kota had the perfect lie - Ambrus Sindel was preparing for his next ascension, and needed to be placed in the water for his new transformation. The crowd cheered and watched in anticipation as Kota threw Ambrus into the water, and their cheers soon became horrified screams as they saw Ambrus's flesh melt off of his skeleton and then disappear into nothingness. Kota announced that Ambrus had lied to them all, he was a vampire - he was no god! And then all hell broke loose. Some ran, screaming their heads off at the fact that their god was dead. Others dropped to their knees sobbing, thinking their lives were over. A few advanced to attack Kota but they were easily cut down by the far more skilled warrior. Fighting his way to the special room of Ambrus, Kota grabbed what money he could and fled the temple out into the world he had never known before.

After a series of unfortunate mishaps, Kota managed to find some small jobs as a sellsword but nothing lucrative. With a strong desire to leave Radomir and those still hunting him, he became desperate for any work. Wobora's deal was the best he could find, and with the promise of unknown lands and grand treasure, Kota may finally find the glory and wealth he desires.

Why do I want to play Kota?:
He is not the typical mold of a fighter, coming from an acolyte background and being rather cloistered for most of his life. Ending the life of the god he spent most of his life worshipping would have been a serious blow to him, and I see him as generally thumbing his nose at most gods now and being the skeptic and naysayer. Now desperate to make a name and life for himself, I see him as being overeager and overconfident at first, but in time he should (hopefully!) mature to a confident and capable warrior. I want to see his stumbling blocks and how he reacts, and how that will change him once he gets more world experience.

Last edited by Grouchy; 10-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Bumblemeister
Quote:
right-aligned image
Name: Hroþulf Bragison
Species (Race): Variant Human
Class and Subclass: Bard, College of Valor
Background: Folk Hero, Skald in the Hall of "Jarl" Geirmund
Personality Trait: I hunger for more in life and I hope that Wyrd's pull finds me again.
Personality Trait: I believe that kingdoms rise and fall by words, not by swords.
Ideal: I believe that I can should inspire change for the better in the world around me, if only I can find the way to do so.
Bond: I am loyal to my warband, though they have fallen from their past glory (a fall I should have prevented).
Flaw: I am angered/saddened by my own failings and others'. I am drawn to drink to dull this pain.
Appearance: Hrothulf has fire-red hair and pale, wind-bitten skin. The haunted cast in his dark-blue eyes hints at untold stories and a deep, hidden conflict.

Backstory:
There was a time, not so many years ago, when visitors to Geirmund's remote long-hall in Ormend's northwestern province came to pay respects and offered tithes of fish and lumber and honey-wine. Geirmund had answered their visits with generosity, bestowing gifts of silver arm-rings and brooches, along with furs and silks, upon the brave and worthy. He fancies himself one of the Æthelings - "Great Princes and People's Kings" he calls them, "who in days of old did noble deeds." Accordingly, he avoids using the title of Duke, instead preferring the ancient term, Jarl.

He was a good Lord. Once.

Alas, the untimely death of Geirmund's eldest daughter, the Spear Maiden Scyld-Inga, prompted a year of mourning.

The time since has seen Geirmund soften and the rivalry between his surviving children has distracted his Thanes. They now neglect the work of governing the far-flung homesteads that are their watch in the land of Ormend. Hrothulf's tales, once sung to inspire Inga and the warband and spur them on to deeds of great pitch and moment, now fall on deaf ears and he feels idle, unappreciated, and often useless. The petty squabbles of the younger heirs hold little interest to him. The occasional border feud or courtly sleight are all that remain of the once glorious pursuits the great warband used to face. Without meaningful leadership, they dwindle in their might as the warriors fall, more often to infighting than to a true foe's blade. Soon enough, there will be little of worth left to fight over.

I swear, the old man is looking for someone to put him in his grave before then. He may not be the only one.

Ailing and ale-ing, Hrothulf pines for days gone-by; for grand adventures, a Lord worthy of the title, and new tales worth telling. Wandering farther and farther from Geirmund's hall, yet bound to return each month by the ineffable call of his battle-kin, Hrothulf casts himself to the wind in the hope that he will find that next opportunity which will bring him back in contact with destiny. Until then, he plies a meager trade as a Scop. His tales and music are usually enough to afford drink and a warm bed. On exceptional evenings, he may not even need to pay for the privilege.

--------------------------------------

From across the tavern, Hrothulf eyes Wobora suspiciously over his tankard of dark ale. The old man spoke of treasure and glory, subjects that are rarely given much credence in the border-town of Radomir, especially when bandied about by an old braggart such as he. But, the jingling in the pouch he holds aloft hints at a truth that can not be denied. Hrothulf quaffs the last of his ale and watches the old man as he exits. The wind blowing through the swiftly-opened door brings a flurry of snow in its wake and a biting chill; Hrothulf tightens his cloak around his neck and orders a final tankard to stave off the cold.

I'll find out in the morning. Another song and I'll turn in.

The note on Wobora's door promises ten gold pieces upfront - enough for a new shield, which would keep Hrothulf in fighting shape the next time Geirmund decides that he has a grudge in need of settling. As his gold-horde dwindles, these grudges are growing more frequent. Something stirs in the Jarl's hall, but has yet to reveal itself...
This is my first character application, so I hope that I have done this relatively correctly! I'm looking forward to receiving feedback and I hope that you will consider me for this adventure.

As for what draws me to this character, I enjoy the motifs of the world you've created and I love the idea of playing a skaldic warrior-poet. A team-buffing, spell-slinging, face-stabbing, battle-chanting Viking is just too much awesome in one place not to play. Also, the right skill toolkit and spells can make Bard nearly as useful as a Ranger in a Survival sense. All good stuff in a world where people have to be capable of living off the land. I've also played a lot of melee-heavy characters before and I think a martial Bard might be a fun way to branch out while maintaining a bit of a footing in some aspects of the game that I do know. I think I have a fun character that will be an asset to any team.

Last edited by Bumblemeister; 10-14-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Final adjustments
Old 10-14-2020, 10:29 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Ready for review.
Looking for Redemption:
left-aligned image

Name: 14, 16, 14, 10, 12, 8Unger Half-breed
Species (Race): Human (Grappler FeatVariant)
Class and Subclass: Rogue (Thief)
Background: Criminal (Former Burglar)
Personality Trait: I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy
Personality Trait: The first thing I do in a new place is note the location of any valuables or where valuable might be hidden.
Ideal: Redemption. There’s a spark of good in everyone. (Good)
Bond: I’m guilty of a terrible crime. I hope I can redeem myself for it.
Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can’t think about anything but how to steal it.

Appearance: Unger is around five and a half feet tall and appears shorter still because he seems to hunch all the time. He carries the bulk of a man and a half, nearly weighing as much as six 50 pounds a piece.sacks of grain. His clothes are usually drab browns and blacks and they look slightly raggedy. His face is misshapen and scarred but they all seem old punctuated by dark beady eyes that seem to slowly scan the area at all times. His tousled brown hair is always raggedly cut and somewhat greasy. His facial hair is short and stubbly but not patchy, he keeps it shorter than an actual beard and does shave it occasionally. His arms and legs are like the roots of a tree, gnarled with strong muscle and scarred flesh. His shoulder and hips are wide giving him an almost dwarven look.

Backstory: Unger was born in an urban area on the southern coastline of Ormend. He was found in an alley, abandoned by his parents, as far as he was told by the vagrants that raised him. As Unger grew, his 'Family' took him for the offspring of a dwarf with his thick limbs and body. He had to learn to take care of himself even with his 'Family' around because food is scarce and safety, even scarcer. He learned how to steal from those more fortunate than him, even other vagrants. At first it was out of necessity but in time, it became a want, a want to feel the thrill and he started leaving the alleys and the tenements that he occasionally raided to abscond off to the nice side of town where he would burgle houses of the wealthy. The other vagrants were afraid to leave the relative safety of the back alleys and the abandoned tenements of the poor folk of the city but a higher class criminal became Unger's problem and in his paranoia, he began to carry a kitchen knife that he had burgled from a manor even if he never intended to use it.

It was late in his teenage years that Unger first got the taste of murder. He was caught crawling out of the window of a wealthy merchant's manor for the third time that week, which was his first mistake. His second mistake was getting lost inside the house because of some noise in the dark and he had to escape out a second story window where, upon exiting, had to drop several feet to the cobblestones, hurting his ankle and making it nearly impossible to outrun the hired guard that had caught him. If he hadn't hurt his ankle or gotten lost in the manor or robbed the same house three times in a week, he wouldn't have had to kill the hired guard, If only he hadn't had to kill the man but he drew his sword and charged him. It was like instinct and it was over in a flash, the kitchen knife slid into the man's gut so easily.

He sat at trial, feeling the guilt of his decision or instincts like a million sacks of grain upon his shoulders. The sentence grated against his flesh like a million sharp stones as it was handed down. He was shackled and taken to his cell where he would spend the next twenty seasons with only the rats as company. It became a rare occasion that he got another prisoner thrown in with him, likely because the prison was filling up and every one of them tried to take advantage of the half-starved simpleton, or so they thought. Prison is where he learned that the boldness that he had learned on the street wasn't going to help him but rather, the will to live, he learned that if he wanted to live, he had to fight for all he was worth, tooth and nail. And fight he did, every other prisoner that thought him an easy target found out otherwise as they were gripped by limbs like thick vines and beat to death with fists like a blacksmith's hammer. No matter how often he killed, he never grew to like it but he looked at it as something that needed to be done.

After his time was served and they finally let him out of the dark hole, surprised that he was still alive, he was a changed person. He didn't want to kill anymore but he had a mission, to find a way to redeem himself. With every new person he met and tried to help, he got looks and side-glances, even glares that cut him deeper and harder than that kitchen knife that he used on that hired guard. Until he couldn't handle the looks any longer, he set out to the North, away from the cities with their people. In the quiet village of Radomir, he found the peace he was looking for as a lumberjack.

When the old man, Wobora called for assistance, Unger thought that this was his chance and while at first, he startled the old man when he visited about the job, the man took his help graciously. Unger was relieved and thought that finally, his redemption was at hand.

Appeal: Unger is an unlikely hero and a little rough around the edges, I like to play these sorts of characters because they create a little friction within the party when the others don't like him at first, keeping him around for potential usefulness until he proves that he is worth getting to know. I like the challenge of being the 'Almost-bad-guy' or anti-hero of the party.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 10-15-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I think I have an application! Feel free to throw some feedback my way if you like.