GURPS At the Edge of Chaos - Recruitment Reopened - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16027
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Alright, then let's make it happen!

Ilder are usually at Size -2 (up to 3' in height), so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to bump it up one category to -1 (up to 4'5'').

True 360 degree vision is a rather expensive advantage, which I usually recommend just going for really good sight. But we can talk about that.

Pretty sure we are on the same page, so we can take this over to a private thread in the game folder. You should have a link for that, so if you can't see it let me know.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
blackwolf97 blackwolf97
I'm thinking that my character comes from a long tradition of rangers: hunter/gatherers that spend most of their days or nights hunting or wandering. One of his ancestors befriended a wild wolf. They were tracking a large and vicious animal of some sort. Let's say a massive bear that was ravaging entire villages. During the hunt, the bear outwitted the human and ambushed him. The wolf had a reactionary surprise attack, but was gravely injured. While the ancestor was able to kill the bear, he was seriously injured. Holding his canid friend as it died, their blood mixed. The ancestor wailed and lamented the wolf's imminent death, one of these gods decided to intervene. While that deity would not reverse the death, they instead opted to allow the two friends to live together as one being and soul. That granted my character's ancestor werewolf abilities. As the generations went by, the canid influence was further and further diluted, now to the point that there are few benefits. The few attributes that are still present are diminished, except for the low-light vision.

While that story has been told within their family for a millennia, no other human has ever had their prayers answered. While there's no disputing that his family has certain enhancements, they find it hard to believe that they were granted a divine intervention when so many other more dire circumstances were far more warranting of attention yet went unheard. Doubt has crept into the family's devotion to religion, and they've been on a search for a few hundred years to determine how credible the story truly is. His family has escaped persecution or prejudice by speaking fealty to whichever religious sect they're living amongst at the time. They've learned how to blend in with the citizenry of their surroundings, but it doesn't alter their almost-zealous devotion to the family unit.

That's what brings him out here, to the wilds. He and his family grow weary of the excessive worship requirements within the city. He was sent forth as a scout; he is to search for a place that has ample privacy and secrecy, is easily defensible, has sufficient fauna to hunt and abundant flora to gather, there's a sizable plot of land that can be used for farming, and is unlikely to be discovered by wanderers. He doesn't like to scout or hunt alone, but he's also well overdue for his coming-of-age demonstration. His demonstration is unique in how it'll be considered successful. Most of the time, it's whether they can survive comfortably in the wilds for a week without weapons, kill a deer-sized animal, and return that fresh kill to the family without city guard detection. His success is whether he can survive in the wilds comfortably long enough to find a new home for the family.

The family unit typically consists of the Matron and Patron. Other humans would normally call them Grandmother and Grandfather. Each bound pair usually have 3 children. Any excess are ostracized and must form their own family once they reach their coming-of-age. Each of their three children also may have three children. Each family unit has only three generations living together at one time. When the Matron and Patron die, each of their children separate to form their own families. They move together, they hunt together, they decide together. Even the youngest child has their own voice recognized in these discussions, so long as they can speak. Matron and Patron are responsible for relating the verbal histories to the young. The parents are responsible for teaching the young tactical and technical topics, like how to perform a trade, how to grow crops and hunt, how to defend one's self and others. The children are their brother's and sister's keepers. Aside from child birthing, there is no differentiation between male and female. All are expected to do the same tasks. How the tasks are completed is irrelevant, so long as it does not harm the family nor violate the family's code of honor.

Harm no innocent.
Allow no innocent harm.
Do not lie.
Do not cheat.
Steal ONLY when unavoidable.
Defend this with violent zeal,
for those without honor...
Deserve not life.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Alright - in isolation this is a fine story, but I get the feeling that you are not really listening to me or understand what I want from you.

For one I am asking you of a general outline of the human society this family of yours would have come from. Not just the character, not just their immediate kin, not even just the village they might live in, but the entire "nation" or broad space of cultural similarity. In essence you put forth a new race (humans from the culture of x) but refuse to appropriately sketch it after repeatedly being asked for that. We are not yet at the stage where we are describing your character and their immediate background, that comes after I am satisfied we are moving in the right direction with the race and have finished with it.

Secondly, I just told you that the gods do not intervene in human lives, so you ignored that entirely. Obviously that means you've made this story near impossible to put in this world right from paragraph one. It's not a case of divine intervention happening extremely rarely - it has NEVER before happened to a human. So even if you went in a bit deeper to explain the whys and hows of this exceptional occurrence some more it would be frankly quite a big ask to remodel the setting given that there are other options that one could come up with (which is not my job to do for you here).

Thirdly, you seem extremely reluctant to provide any specifics of anything. You don't mention in what environment these humans live and what structure their society takes in any shape or form. You don't even give the nation/culture a name, nor your family. You bring up gods but don't say who they are and what they are like, same for the religion that is mentioned. (As an aside - it seems extremely illogical that the only family that has ever been touched by a god directly in the entire history of human experience would start to doubt religion) You don't mention where they went (i.e. where they live now), why they stayed there, what environment this character goes out into. While your human's homeland is totally free for you to imagine the places where they would be living now are given some general description in the campaign folder. Just a matter of picking stuff. And if you had done that you'd know you'd have to address how they relate to the other races living in the same space (including humans from other cultures), something also entirely absent from the above.

Basically what worries me is that you are doing your own thing completely untouched by my setting. There is plenty of information out there, but then you still end up with zero mention of anything specific to this game. Literally not one thing.

It's almost like you have this entirely immalleable vision that you just want to wedge in here no matter the cost and setting of the game. It signals a big reluctance to actually engage in a fruitful back and forth, of my setting influencing your character and the other way around. I don't just want to drop some rootless archetype in here, I want something anchored in the world around it. I can't work with the character's background otherwise (because it brings npc's and entities), and I can't imagine you'd have an easy time actually playing in the game (since that's the point at which you'd really need to engage with the setting, and I've seen no evidence that you could).

So for these reason I don't think it's a good fit. Thanks for the time anyway.

Announcement
To anybody still lurking the thread:

Group One recruitment closed, Group Two recruitment tentatively opened.

It's a whole new world!

An ambassador for a deep-sea race cut off from the world for millennia, a sly goatman trader, a human plagued by voices and a dark hunger.

Together they entered a land if entrenched clans and courtly intrigue, where they visited the court of a debased king. The capital was shocked by the death of a Prince, but when a ritual to banish an ill-fated moon in the sky failed a vile demon was called forth right inside the castle.

The city burned, the heroes fled. They encountered the bleakness of the countryside but were taken to a land of greed and gold by the friends they had made along the way.

Landed in this new place they find that its capital has been ravaged by the rapid growth of a tree taller than most mountains. On the top of the tree is a wise man that supposedly has answers to the questions the heroes have, some their own private ones and other related to the demonic ritual they had seen in the land to the west.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
blackwolf97 blackwolf97
Why are you not understanding that I'm making a lineage and history that is highly adaptable to the world that you fail to describe or explain? Why are you not understanding that the culture of the humans this character descends from is solitary or a small and nuclear family? Can you not understand that they have no fealty to any one state or ruler? That just might be why they are reluctant to live in cities and are currently looking for somewhere else to live.

You refuse to provide resources or reference for what humans look like, what their culture is and was, you give no clues or details to your world and expect me to guess it? When I do give you any sort of description, you only tell me that it's wrong and to try again. How am I to know what this place is, how it works, or what it looks like if you provide zero reference? Can you not comprehend that the details of the family and lineage is separate from others? That their own faith in their religion was violated by an implausible and unbelievable single event?

I didn't describe what environment they live in? They're currently living in a city. They're currently looking to move back into the forests. Can you not listen to anything other than the voices in your head? They're a long line of rangers, going back to the mixing of the blood that happened a thousand years ago. You did read, right? Yeah, I'm reluctant to provide any kind of details. You're only going to say that I'm wrong and try again. Then get further frustrated that I failed to read your mind. I have zero idea where the game is located, what it's called, anything. You started rattling off creature names in a previous post and expect me to know what those are. How can I reference anything if you fail to provide those references? Where's that plenty of information out where? You said there are no SRDs. You said to read the game, but give no citation where the game is located. Sounds like you're stacking your failures and trying to make me your scapegoat.

Yeah, my vision for my character and his backstory are immalleable. I thought roleplaying was a type of entertainment where one played a role that they preferred. It's almost like your world and story are immalleable and unaccepting to anything that's not a carefully sculpted pawn to your choreographed and scripted story.

You're absolutely f*g right. This is not a good fit. You're expecting folks to guess wildly at what's in your mind's eye without any kind of guidance or resource. This is not a game you're running, this is a Build-Phettberg's-Own-Story book. Thank you for burning through my patience and for wasting my time. Happy f*g gaming.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
You're embarassing yourself, frankly.

When I reopened recruitment I posted a variety of links to threads that describe elements of the setting. This is linked in the first post of this game ad as well. It's not hidden in any way and I did not assume it could be missed. Maybe as a new player you were not aware that one should check out the first page of an ad, but you could have asked.

You are supposed to know about the place by reading this, which you evidently did not do. That's not my fault really, and clearly why you could not produce anything appropriate. That the information is not there is patently false though. But then again you also ignored what was posted directly in this thread, so what can I do.

Talking further is obviously pointless, but let me just slap down the accusation that this is a "choreographed and scripted story". A large part of the setting was created by previous or current players, those that understood the process of getting into the game. In fact only 3 out of 19 of the main races were written by me, and the same goes for the nations of the world. It's exactly the opposite of how you perceive it to be, it's more the players than me really. They all made their mark on the setting because they understood the process of application, and their agency in terms of gameplay is also solidly in their hands.

I do not appreciate allusions to me having voices in my head or worse, and saying stuff like that honestly makes you look quite bad. If I were you I would just delete your rant, or in fact all contribution to this thread, and in that case I will do the same (deleting everything pertaining to you). That's my olive branch, we can just delete it all. Or you can have it on public record, I don't mind.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Recruitment still ongoing
Now seeking players for Group Two, Group One recruitment closed for the time being.

Looking for one or two engaged writers wanting to delve into a long-running campaign set in a homebrewed low-tech fantasy world. I'm specifically not looking for "bodies" in the party, but people that would want to really explore and interact with what I and the other players have to offer.

Setting Information:
Campaign Folder, Races, Geography, What has happened so far. You can also dive right into the action by reading the current Group Two thread. See also the first post of this thread, which still gives a good enough introduction even though a lot has changed over the years.

Recruitment Specifics:
Accepting nearly all character types! Currently we are working with an ambassador for a deep-sea race (that was cut off from the world for millennia), a sly goatman trader and a human plagued by voices and a dark hunger.

Gurps knowledge not required. If you have the ideas we can make it happen, the stronger your vision the easier it will be to put it into numbers. Just remember that there's hardly any limits, so this is the time to get out of the "box" of common class-tropes. Playing the game itself is not as complicated as its reputation, with just one type of roll for 95% of the situations.

As you can see a lot of non-traditional custom made races are available, and some that are slightly more familiar. Just check them out! Still open to the idea of players making their own race/subrace if that's what tickles their fancy, or you can just pick one from the large line-up already established. More or less everything listed in the racial thread is on the table.

Recruitment is unlikely to firmly close any time soon - so pm me or post here at your leisure.

What has happened so far in Group Two:
Together they entered a land if entrenched clans and courtly intrigue, where they visited the court of a debased king. The capital was shocked by the death of a Prince, but when a ritual to banish an ill-fated moon in the sky failed a vile demon was called forth right inside the castle.

The city burned, the heroes fled. They encountered the bleakness of the countryside but were taken to a land of greed and gold by the friends they had made along the way.

Landed in this new place they find that its capital has been ravaged by the rapid growth of a tree taller than most mountains. On the top of the tree is a wise man that supposedly has answers to the questions the heroes have, some their own private ones and other related to the demonic ritual they had seen in the land to the west.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-16-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
I will give this one last nudge before leaving it until the next big recruitment drive.

We're still looking for new blood! Group Two is a bunch of extremely creative and invested writers, so if anybody is still on the fence I would recommend reading some of their thread to get a feel for it (also added to the resources above).