DnD5e Building a City of Light in a Dark Age - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 01:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
jemmus jemmus jemmus
left-aligned image

This sounds so fun!
Name: Lothien of Blackacre

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Druid

Role: Knowledge of divine magic, healing, animal handling, horticulture, protection of nature and environment. Also scouting.

Age 25

Description: Has a kind face, but a kind of spacey look in his eyes. As if his mind is partly somewhere else and not entirely in the here and now.

Background: Lothien is the son of a country human knight-farmer and an elf of the woods mother. In his late teens his father gave him permission to leave farm work and the muddy farmlands to visit his elven mother’s family and clan. Once, while on a forest roam with his cousins and their friends, a rough middle-aged elf of the forest joined their campfire. He was the group of young souls' friend and sometime mentor. He'd taught them the places in a stream trout like best, and how they think when hunting for feed. He'd taught them when to harvest deer, and when to leave both does and bucks alone and let them breed or care for their young.

But that night, the worn woodsman elf quietly mentioned other things. The Circle of Life. Everything that happens on earth affects every other thing on earth. Young Lothien heard and stared into the campfire, watching the movement of the flames, the hot parts burning blue, the smoke going straight up for who knows how far into the sky, and the occasional rising sparks when a glowing lump broke and slumped. He had questions for the elven druid, and the master druid answered them. That night, Lothien of Blackacre became also Lothien the Druid (albeit a not yet initiated one) Half human, half elf. Half knight-farmer of the lost Empire, half nature shaman.

Motivation: Lothien is on what druids from his part of the world call a Wisdom Quest. With their blessings, he set off toward the southwest. Only because that was his favored direction. The direction of dusk, storms, and the Thunder Beings.

Goal: To continue the wisdom quest and become a more adept druid. To perfect his understanding and his spirit. But more immediately, to try to help this town survive. He feels that it is on the cusp of change-- either for better or for worse. He knows from his life as a bush knight's son that of food-rearing is about trying to keep nature-- hungry animals, hungry insects, weeds, rain, cold wind, rust-- out of fields and homes. But he learned as a fledgling druid that people and nature are all a part of an interconnected circle. He hopes to find ways for the people of the the town to not battle with nature, but live within it as a part of it, and to thrive.

Allegiance: To his family back on the farm, his forest elf friends, his fellow druids, and to this town. If the people will accept him, that is....

Last edited by jemmus; Yesterday at 05:40 PM. Reason: First draft was pretty crap :)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:36 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5511
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Hey all, added a list of the apps to the first post.

Also, lets set a deadline, one week, get apps in and ready for the 23rd and I'll make my selection.

Lots of great apps so far, but it does feel like something's still missing. Not sure exactly what it is, but certainly means there's still room for more.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 818
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
No closing down yet! I have a few ideas I need to mull over.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 818
theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster theclaytster
So I have a question. I know we are not coming up with character sheets, but in thinking about my character, I would like to use investigation but the class nor backgrounds I'm looking at does not have it as one of it's proficiencies. Do you allow swapping out proficiencies for the sake of role playing?

Last edited by theclaytster; 10-16-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Yeh something could be arranged. We could come up with a custom background or something to cover anything you can't get otherwise.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
jemmus jemmus jemmus
I noticed that there's no cleric to tend to the souls of the citizens.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1967
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
What Gods and/or Pantheons are in this World?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1729
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
What Gods and/or Pantheons are in this World?
With the description provided with the original post, any religious figure in this settlement would be a human deity. It is possible to have secret shrines to Halfling and Gnome deities, but not recognized in public.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
I usually use the Greyhawk gods. But can include anything you like
Old 10-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1967
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Friar Bertram Bellows
Name: Friar Bertram Bellows

Age: 22 (about 19 in human equivalency) but looks and acts much older

Class: Life Cleric

Race: Stout Halfling

Role: Healer/Alchemist/Spiritual-Leader-of-the-People

Description: Like most of his clan Bertram looks prematurely aged. Already balding on top, with grey/white hair and wrinkled skin, his love of food has not gone unnoticed by his waistline. He dresses simply in plain robes and a smile is never far from his face, or a twinkle from his eye.

Motivation: He is a homebody and loves the simple things in life, good food, good ale, good company, and most of all, comfort! Was mostly raised by his grandmother, who acted like "a mother hen" to the whole town, and this attitude has rubbed off on Bertram.

Goal: He cares not if the town itself is commercially wealthy, as long it's people are safe, happy, well fed (most important!) and healthy (if a little/lot overweight!)

Allegiance: To his Clan, to the people of this town (though not necessarily to the town itself, just the people!)

Backstory: The Bellows clan originally came from a fully Halfling community, this was way back when Granny Bellows was a young slip of a girl. They seem to be a curious off-shoot of the regular Stout-Halfling clans. They all share the same trait, which is that even the youngest among them look wizened and ancient while still being as spry as any other Stout of the same age. Bertram's parents were minor traders who would make the long trading runs to other towns and cities, spending the vast majority of time on the road, so Bertram and his older brother moved in with their recently widowed grandmother. Granny Bellows taught them to be kind and to enjoy the simple things in life. She also helped them find their vocations in life. The eldest, Barnard, was apprenticed to, and ended up buying out, the owner of the town's general store, while Bertram chose to serve the community in the All-Faiths Chapel, predominantly at the Shrine of Hearth and Home.

NPC's
Granny Bellows: Many in town know this beloved matriarch for the love in her heart for the ill and the infirm, this is where Bertram gets it from. Currently too infirm from old age to help people now. Bertram has taken that burden on himself.

Barnard Bellows: Proprietor of the town's main general goods store, Barnard believes in being financially stable above all else, in stark contrast to Bertram. The two of them butt heads often, mostly over their differing ideologies, but they do love each other.

Last edited by triedtherest; 10-17-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 704
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Posting Interest for a Human Rogue/Monk...

Eilar Scrub

Name: Eilar Scrub
Race: Human (Urchin)
Class: Rogue 3/ Monk 2 - Mastermind/Way of the Shadow
Role: Spy, Scout, Master of Tactics, Whisperer

Description: Eilar is fairly average in height, weight and appearance. Such mediocrity allows him to blend into crowds, remain unnoticed and otherwise draw as little attention as possible. He tends to have the long hair of the local style and adapts his style as tastes in the city change or if there is a particular fashion that he needs to emulate for a reason.

Background: Though he was born in the city, to craftsmen by all account, Eilar doesn’t rightly remember his childhood or his parents. He can only rightly recall one thing. The Empire had taken their livelihood away, forced them into poverty, forced them to sell him to anyone who would take him; the people who would teach him everything he knows about the dark underworld of the city; The Brotherhood of the Silver Crescent.

Motivation: Secrets. Everyone has them and many fear them being discovered lest they be used against them. That is what drives Eilar Scrub, a simple boy from the gutters of Dragonsford. He desires to learn the secrets of those around him so that he might use them to his advantage. Ever is his ear to the ground, listening for the whispers that inevitably come his way.

Goal: All of the great cities of the world are places of secrets, thefts, back-alley dealings and even murder if the price is right. Having control over this darkened realm offers a power all its own.

Allegiance: Having railed against the Empire for most of his life; the hated Empire that had pauperized his family has collapsed. In the wake of that darkness, there is a ray of hope, the new possibility of a future for Dragonsford that didn’t exist before. The city that has been his home shall become something more for him. And if the Brotherhood of the Silver Crescent profits from that greatness, or must fade away… so be it.

NPC: Ysa is a halfling rogue that has been his friend since he was a child, but no one knows this. To the townsfolk, she is a street vendor; hawking her meat pies from a barrow. What they don’t know is that her cover permits her to overhear things, watch the goings-on in the city and report all of it back to Eilar; who then decides what to share with the guild.

Last edited by HalcyonRhys; 10-17-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 10-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Insane Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 704
HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys HalcyonRhys
Also, I had a question. How will the character scores be generated? 4d6 drop the lowest? point-buy?

I am asking because I like to build the character as much as possible before, even if I have to roll the scores when/if chosen.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm, good question. While I normally use a roll, I think I'll say standard point buy for this one.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy Ferdy
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Mercival Ambrose, the Yellow Rose

Race: Human

Class: Paladin (Oath of Redemption)

Role: Mercival seeks to look after the spiritual and physical well-being of the people. To ensure those who hunger receive food, those who suffer have peace, and those who despair find hope. Mercival will staunchly, yet nonviolently, oppose any leader who seeks to place too great a burden upon the most vulnerable and powerless, seeking to ensure that despair never threatens to overcome the spirit of hopefulness that he tries to instill within the common men and women of the city.

Description: Mercival wears the amice and stole of the traditional Ilmatari Painbearer's vestments. The stole's ends are stained red and give the impression of bloody bandages. No matter his rank or status, Mercival always wears humble and utilitarian clothing so as to never elevate himself above the common man. He bears arms and armor in only the most dire of circumstances, when war is on the town's very threshold and innocents may need defending.

Background: Mercival was abandoned as a baby at Dragonsford's Ilmatari chapel house, The House of the Bleeding Rose, and subsequently raised by Father Apodemus, an "alleviator" and monk in residence at the adjoining abbey. Apodemus is a kind but extremely laconic human of advanced age who knows the secret of Mercival's parentage, but has never spoken of it.

Mercival is a Painbearer of "The Broken God" Ilmater and considers himself a disciple of one of the most prominent figures from the Church of Ilmater's history, Saint Sollars the Twice-Martyred. Mercival believes that one day he will lay his burden down and go to meet his spiritual forebear upon the radiant slopes of Mount Celestia.

The role of the Painbearer, and the Ilmatari Church's greatest sacrament, is sacrifice; to bear the suffering of those who cannot bear it themselves. If a supplicant's suffering is physical, the Painbearer lays their hands upon the supplicant and heals them, drawing the physical pain of the wound or malady into themselves to be borne on their behalf. If the supplicant's suffering is mental, the Painbearer listens and keeps the supplicant's troubles in their thoughts, sharing in their sadness. If the suppliant's suffering is spiritual, the Painbearer speaks of a peaceful eternity for the spirits of the faithful, drawn upon the end of their mortal journey by Ilmater's love to the bosom of his realm in Mount Celestia.

Motivation: Mercival was born with a great surplus of empathy, to the point that he cannot see suffering in others without feeling it to some degree himself. As fate would have it, this became the key to manifesting his abilities as a Painbearer. Mercival maintains a mostly ascetic lifestyle and does not value wealth except insofar as it can provide necessities for those who go without.

Goal: Mercival seeks to ensure that whatever new power structure emerges to fill the power vacuum of the collapsed empire is not so horrible for the commoners that have to live in it. Too often do the people who are the backbone of the empire get trampled upon in the power games of the affluent. In Mercival's mind, the answer is a benevolent theocracy in which all are seen as equal in the eyes of a loving paternal deity.

Allegiance: Mercival's allegiance is to The Broken God who bears the suffering of his mortal children on their behalf, and to the people who suffer needlessly to the machinations of the greedy and powerful.

Last edited by Ferdy; 10-17-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:00 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Triedtherest, missed your question. Yes I will allow two aps. Only one or the other will be accepted though, just to help me fill all the corners for the game.