Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 355
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Empire of the Setting Sun

Empire of the Setting Sun

EMPIRE OF THE SETTING SUN

System: D&D 5th Edition.
Themes: Intrigue and betrayal. A land torn apart by war. Friendship and loyalty.
Flavor: I believe music expresses it better than words ever could.
Note: This game will be Whilst I don't intend to insert LGBTQI themes into the game, players who wish
to explore LGBTQI themes through their character are welcome to do so.
LGBTQI-friendly.

About the setting
right-aligned image
The place was like feudal Japan, and the time might have been five hundred years ago; and they fought and they thought, then as now.

Only, not exactly.

Imagine a version of feudal Japan inhabited not just by humans, but by fantasy races such as elves, dragonborn, and goliaths. A feudal Japan in which magic and the gods (known as the kami) are real, if not exactly commonplace, and the Emperor is an ancient gold dragon at the end of its life. A land of proud In the context of this game, 'samurai' will refer to the
entire noble class, not just katana-wielding warriors.
samurai, loyal ashigaru, beautiful geisha, mysterious ninjasshinobi, shrine maidens, warrior monks, and priests with strange powers. A mountainous land, still mostly covered by forest. A land of beauty and poetry, torn apart by war.

That land is Shikoku, the Empire of the Setting Sun.

Shikoku is a homebrew setting that I have used before in an in-person home game. For RPG Crossing, I will be adapting it to D&D 5e, including incorporating most of 5e's races and classes. I believe that with a little imagination and creative writing, those races and classes can be given a feudal Japanese spin. For example, a goblin rogue or ranger might, in a certain light, look a lot like a shinobi. A female half-elven cleric or druid might look like a shrine maiden. And a mad gnome sorcerer or warlock with the acolyte background might look like a wandering priest.

Details
Starting level: 1st
Number of players: 6-7
Races available: All races and sub-races from the PHB and Volo's Guide to Monsters, except tieflings.
I might also consider a As per Eberron: Rising from the Last War, rather than any variant.
In the context of this setting, the Warforged would be ancient artifacts of unknown origin.
Warforged character, but the application would need to be exceptional.
Classes available: All classes and sub-classes from the PHB and Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
Backgrounds available: PHB only.
Posting rate: 1-2 posts per week, depending on my schedule and mood.
Deadline: Probably. It all depends on the response to this ad.
If I get a lot of high-quality application, I may bring the deadline forward.
8th November 2020

Applications should include:
Please use Japanese names and naming conventions.Name, Race and Class
Gender and Age
This should include two Personality Traits, one Ideal, one Bond and one Flaw.
These may be chosen from any PHB background.
Background
Color illustrations preferred. Tasteful anime pics are okay.Character portrait
A couple of sentences each, the main purpose of which is to demonstrate your capacity for descriptive prose.Personality and Appearance
Please remember that your character is only Level 1.
The early chapters of the game will take place in the plains of western Izu,
so placing your character there would be extremely advantageous.
Backstory
Why are you interested in this game?

About me
left-aligned image
I have been playing TTRPGs for about 30 years, and running them for about half of that. In that time, I have come to prefer character interaction and character development to deep storytelling, and exploration and investigation to combat. Which isn't to say there's no deep storytelling or combat in my games—but they play less of a role, at least compared to most published adventure modules.

I am not precious about my settings. Don't be afraid to create your own detail about the setting and insert it into your application. Although I'm using a setting I've used before, I'm very keen on player involvement and will try to incorporate your ideas into my setting and story. Oh, and the reason why there's very little about the setting in this ad? That's because I like to let setting unfold during gameplay, rather the handing out huge slabs of canonical detail before the game even starts.

I like players (and characters) that are proactive, adventurous, and take risks. I also like players that work well with the other players. So, please, no evil or selfish characters, and no loners. Take the time to read the other applications. If you see some detail in them that works well with your character, incorporate it into your own application... and build on it. Demonstrate your willingness to collaborate and work with others.

Source material and inspiration
GURPS Japan, by Lee Gold and Hunter Johnson
Tales of the Samurai, by A.B. Mitford
In fact, my original game was a 'furries' game.Usagi Yojimbo, by Stan Sakai
Samurai Champloo and InuYasha
The Lord of the Rings, by To whom much is owed.J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Menzo; 10-17-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Q&AQ: Can we get a hint as to what the plot is going to be like?
A: My original game centred around a brewing civil war in the western plains of Izu, and the betrayal of a daimyō by a long-standing ally.
Whether this game follows that exact plotline depends on the types of characters I end up with. Or rather, I'd prefer to pick good characters/players first,
then devise a storyline that works well with them.
I am not committed.
Either way, that brewing civil war is likely to play a large part in the game.

Q: Thinking of making a cleric. Is there a defined pantheon?
A: Yes, the Japanese kami will be the pantheon in this game. Everything from Amaterasu and Hachiman (gods) to various local river and forest spirits.
A decent-ish list of kami can be found on wikipedia. Also, feel free to create your own in the same style. Ancestor worship is also quite common.
Please note: In this game, a priest does not have to be a cleric. Other spellcasting characters with the Acolyte background may also be roleplayed as a priest.

Q: I am looking at making a Sorcerer Draconic Elementalist. Can we use 'The Elemental Spellbook' from DnD?
A: I won't be making use of any indie rulebooks, including 'The Elemental Spellbook'. Not just for simplicity's sake, but also because I don't
know how well balanced the material in those rulebooks is. For the same reasons, I also won't be using any material from Unearthed Arcana.
I realise this probably wasn't 100% clear in my ad, but I'd like applicants to stick to the material in the PHB, Volo's and Xanathar's.

Q: So you're cool with us making names of places and NPCs?
A: Absolutely. I'm perfectly fine with you inventing names of places and NPCs.
If your application is successful, I will try to find a way to insert them into the setting.

Q: It appears there are tons of sorcerer submissions. I'd be happy to change this to a bard...
A: Yes, group balance would have to be one of my considerations when selecting players
for the game, but ultimately it's up to you whether to stick with Sorcerer or switch to Bard.

Applications
Player Character Race Class Background Completion
Arthilian01 Kuro-Tora Human (variant) Barbarian Folk Hero awaiting review
Sarge67 Norimoto Jiro-Kuraokami Dragonborn (Silver) Sorcerer Sage awaiting review
Schroedingerdude Roberto Greenskin Goblin Monk Outlander WIP
InMemoriam Saionji Kotori Aasimar (Protector) Cleric (Life/Grave) Hermit awaiting review
Daendil Namida Half-Drow Sorcerer (Wild magic) or Warlock (Hexblade) Outlander WIP
Thesandwichking Raiku Fukashi Tabaxi Rogue Sailor awaiting review
spire Baishō Aasimar Bard Guild Artisan awaiting review
Alemar Fujima, Hiroki Half-Orc Fighter Criminal awaiting review
Ysolde Chikane Kawasumi Human Cleric unknown WIP
Wyrom Eramorn Maccar Dragonborn (Blue) Fighter (Samurai) Soldier awaiting review
Noquarter19 Kurai Hono Half-elf Warlock (hexblade) Noble awaiting review
O2CXt3 Yasui Human Fighter (Samurai) Haunted One awaiting review

Last edited by Menzo; Yesterday at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Interested.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 PM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 548
InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam InMemoriam
Inspiration: Samurai Champloo, Inuyasha, and LotR you say?! I need to get in on this! Can we get a hint as to what the plot is going to be like?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
@InMemoriam My original game centred around a brewing civil war in the western plains of Izu, and the betrayal of a daimyō by his long-standing ally. Whether this game follows that exact plotline depends on the types of characters I end up with. I am not committed. Either way, that brewing civil war is likely to play a large part in the game.

Last edited by Menzo; 10-19-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:41 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3288
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Interesting!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Kuro-Tora
right-aligned image

Name: Black TigerAkiyama Kuro-Tora
Race: Human (Charger FeatVariant)
Class: Barbarian
Background: Folk Hero
Personality traits:
-Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
-When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Ideal:
-Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. (Chaotic)
Bond:
-I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw:
-I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Personality: Tora is very much a do'er and a fighter. She defiantly stands against oppression when she sees it, standing up for the weak and those who can't or won't protect themselves. She can be quite willful when it comes to doing something that in her mind is the right thing to do and she hardly lets anything stand in her way. She is focused in battle and relaxed in leisure but she has a bad habit of losing herself in the Saki, because she knows that if she falls asleep without it, she will be haunted by visions of her lost village and family who did nothing to raise a hand against their killers.

Appearance: Tora stands just above five feet tall and weighs a little over a hundred and twenty pounds. Her body is lithe and strong from walking and running the mountain paths of her home as a child. She wears a brown kimono and random bits of lamellar armor that she had picked up here and there in reds and blacks, a pair of greaves and thigh armor that offers little to no protection but she prefers it to a full suit of armor. The sleeve of her leading sword arm is torn off for ease of movement revealing a toned shoulder, bicep and forearm. Her black hair is kept short-ish and wild to give her a more fearsome look or just because she cares little about how it looks. Her fur mantle was a gift from a hunter's wife after she saved her husband's life. She carries a finely made katana which she oils and takes very good care of except it's never seen the inside of a scabbard and likely never will as long as Tora wields it.

Backstory: Tora was born to a miner and his wife in the small mountain village of Pīku-No-Me. Her father would walk for an hour to reach the mine at the peak of the mountain and many times, his youngest child and only daughter would go with him, carrying his meals once she was old enough. The mine was the richest iron deposit in the lands and that soon called much attention to the village where it's miner's lived. Some of the best swords were made in Tora's village but the village lacked the warriors to wield them. Even among Tora's four brothers, the village were all peaceful except Tora, so named because of her fighting spirit even as a child. It took to her teenage years before she could truly feel in control but that was when it happened. Men came to her village, cruel, bad men wielding swords and claiming the name of Warlord Hinata-Riku. And in the name of this warlord, they bullied the villagers, ransacked the village and the peaceful villagers were helpless but as they were leaving, Young Taro snatched a sword from the forge and charged into action, catching the agents of the Warlord completely off-guard. This act of resistance was all it took for the cruel men to retaliate by killing people. Taro didn't have the skill of a master swordsman and there were so many bad men. At the end of it, Taro was the only survivor of her village and she hadn't even killed all the Warlord's men.

With nothing left of her village, Kuro-Tora wanders, looking for the Warlord that took everything from her.

Game Appeal: I have a hard time feeling the right fit for a Japanese style character in a run-of-the-mill DnD campaign and I have quite a few pictures on my comp that deserve to be used. Not to mention, I do love the Japanese setting but lack the knowledge to run one myself. Thank you!

Last edited by Arthilian01; 10-20-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1729
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Name: Norimoto Jiro-Kuraokami
Race: Dragonborn (Silver)
Class: Sorcerer (Future multiclass with Monk)
Level; 1
Sorcery Origins: Powers arise from family bloodline.

Appearance: 6’3” 230lbs, His draconic like scales are silver with Ice blue streaks flowing in decorative designs. His eyes are a deep ocean blue which intensifies his intimidating image. He wears the dark blue with gold robes representing his draconic clan Norimoto.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teonis_argonian by VictoriaDAEDRA on DeviantArt.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	87473  

Last edited by Sarge67; 10-18-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 PM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
Thinking of making a cleric. Is there a defined pantheon?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
@InMemoriam Yes, the Japanese kami will be the pantheon in this game. Everything from Amaterasu and Hachiman (gods) to various local river and forest spirits. A decent-ish list of kami can be found on wikipedia. Also, feel free to create your own in the same style.

Please note: In this game, a priest does not have to be a cleric. Other spellcasting characters with the Acolyte background may also be roleplayed as a priest.

Last edited by Menzo; 10-19-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alrighty!, Kuro-Tora is complete, I think. Let me know if I'm missing anything or misunderstood anything.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 662
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
WIP Application
right-aligned image

Name: Roberto Greenskin
Race: Goblin
Class: Monk (Tribal nomad)
Background: Outlander
Personality: I watch over my friends as if they were a litter of newborn pups. I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn to my clan of an approaching orc horde. I'd do it again if I had to.
Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan.
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: There's no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
Appearance:
Backstory:
Why are you interested in this game: You had me at Usagi Yojimbo. This would make for a wonderful change of scenery than the usual "Medieval Europe" fare. This would be a good opportunity to play a goblin samurai apprentice
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberuto Greenskin.png
Views:	210
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	87470
Old 10-18-2020, 12:16 AM
Sic itur ad astra

Tools
User Statistics
More or less done(?) and awaiting feedback from both Menzo and Oghain should you two have the time!

Application
right-aligned image
Art by GUWEIZ (linked)
Name: Saionji Usually written to mean "little bird" (trapped in her plum blossom cage eyyy), but instead 子捕り meaning "catch-the-child" as a fun little wink-wink to the fact that the temple wants her back Kotori (西園寺 子捕り)
Race: Aasimar (Protector)
Class: Cleric (Life/Manifesting a more dire skillset than the rest of her clanGrave)
Background: Hermit
  • Personality Traits: (1) I feel tremendous empathy for those who suffer. (2) I've spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.
  • Ideal: Greater Good. My gifts are meant to be shared with the people.
  • Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
  • Flaw: My naivete and excitability often get me into trouble.

Personality: Unlike the caretakers at Ume-dera, Kotori's convictions are all together more fierce than her family's. Her calling to help the people went far beyond her assigned duties at the temple, and she instead prefers being out on the field in the thick of their plights, solving their problems at the root instead of simply dealing with their consequences. Her aptitude for kindness and care lends itself well to her work, but her time spent sequestered away has made her inexperienced and naive. In addition, she is excitable and overly-curious of "the outside world" and her enthusiasm can be either bane or boon to those around her, in opposition to her usually well-mannered temperment.

Appearance: Kotori's youth is plain for all to see in the soft curves of her face and her doe-eyed, glacial blue gaze. At just a little over 5ft tall, the young shrine maiden is of a rather slight and delicate build, with raven hair haphazardly cut into a messy bob. The red ribbon that used to hold her hair in a long ponytail now ties off the small braid on her right side. Her open and pigeon-toed stance is indicative of her nature, and she wears the distinctive red and white clothing of a miko, usually overlayed by a dark blue haori. Kotori carries around a Bamboo flute used for Shinto musickagurabue, which she enjoys playing though she isn't particularly good at it.

Backstory:

Why are you interested in this game? Definitely the setting! I love fantasy edo concepts but haven't seen any on RPGX, and I've got a deep love for the culture as a whole.

Last edited by InMemoriam; 10-21-2020 at 05:54 AM. Reason: minor edits & added some details
Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge67 View Post
Question: I am looking at making a Sorcerer Draconic Elementalist. Can we use 'The Elemental Spellbook' from DnD?
@Sarge67 I won't be making use of any indie rulebooks, including 'The Elemental Spellbook'. Not just for simplicity's sake, but also because I don't know how well balanced the material in those rulebooks is. For the same reasons, I also won't be using any material from Unearthed Arcana. I realise this probably wasn't 100% clear in my ad, but I'd like applicants to stick to the material in the PHB, Volo's and Xanathar's.

Last edited by Menzo; 10-19-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4065
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Oh yes please