DnD5e Storm Hollow: An Amazing Adventure - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Storm Hollow: An Amazing Adventure

Reopening this game after a long hiatus, I need new players to help with my new direction.

Game NameStorm Hollow: An Amazing Adventure
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeNormal kids people in medieval realm of Might and Magic
FlavourHigh Fantasy, Get-Back-home
Plot SummaryHave you ever had a dream that was so real and so wonderful that you started to wonder if this might be your real life and the other one was just the dream? Having awoken from this real dream you find your real life drab and boring and wished with all your heart that your dream had been real? Who's to say that your dream life wasn't your real life and your Real life was your dream life?
right-aligned image

The 21st Century holds little mystery and only half the wonders that were predicted in stories written ages ago about flying cars and space adventures. You are an average person wishing for more. You might be the type to lose yourself in a book about epic knights and maidens for hours on end. You might be that person who works all day then spends the rest of the time with his family.

Whilst going about your normal day, The air about you swirls, whipping your clothes and sending light-weight possessions flying as if you are suddenly enveloped in a tornado. Your vision blurs and everything turns cool and weightless as you fade from consciousness.
left-aligned image

OOC:
You will begin play as a normal kid between 15-18, still in school until this happened. You will use the quick build background for your class but the knowledge and skills of your class and background will be akin to instinct. Human is your only choice since you are from the 21st century and your character's body does not physically change. Your player will have no knowledge of Storm Hollow but they will be cognizant that this is a different world.
You'll be playing as adults with some experience in either college or a job field, therefore We'll be using the Modern variation rules written by EngrinAZ and you'll be level 3. Use the wealth system for items limited to what you might have on your person on a daily basis. Stats are 27 point buy and HP is max at first level and average after that.

Application:
Name:
Ethnicity:
Background:
Personality:
Description: At least a paragragh and a picture about 250X250 in size, If you need help resizing, PM me the link to the picture.
Fear/Goals: Explain one thing that strikes fear into the heart of your character, 1 Short term goal, and 1 long term goal.
Backstory: Your life in the real world.

Username Character Class Status
Silverfeathers Maya D'Amato Fighter/Dedicated Complete/Accepted
Triedtherest John Black Smart Hero (Techie) Complete
Ranmaga Dean Lawson Dedicated Hero (Priest) WIP
Meilandru Sana Kasaki Fast Hero Complete

Last edited by Arthilian01; 10-15-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4161
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Interested. I don't have much experience with 5e would you take someone just getting used to the system?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Of course. I look forward to your application
Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 278
Fairman Fairman Fairman
Ooh, that brings back memories! This game sounds like a lot of fun. I do hope the adventure includes a slew of cryptic and unhelpful advice from a little old grandpa.

Would it be correct to assume that, in the case of cleric and paladin PCs, they just "get" their powers right away, without having to start worshiping a deity?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, all skills and abilities are inborn like...the touch of destiny but they don't know they have them until like a moment of realization where they need them.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 04-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2956
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
What books are allowed? Is this strictly the core book?

This sounds like it could be a fun game so i just want to get the details before i hit the drawing board with character ideas.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Strictly Core rulebook
Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 723
Bmao Bmao Bmao Bmao Bmao Bmao Bmao
I would assume that all the kids are starting at level 1? Do the kids all know each other before the event?

If we are talking school kids, I would veer toward at least high school aged kids. I would feel uneasy having to play a Junior High Schooler faced with the real prospect of death - they are children, while at least high schoolers would be close to physically mature and well... at least considered more like adults in a medieval timeframe.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
They can know each other but they don't have to and highschool would be more appropriate, I was leaving it open because of how some schools differ, ages 15-18 would be best. And yes, Lvl 1
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2111
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
left-aligned image

Name: Maya D’Amato
Ethnicity: First generation Italian American
Background: Soldier/Student
Class: Human- fighter (champion) 5/Dedicated Hero 1
Fears/Goals: Fear of letting down those that rely on her. Short term goal: finish her degree; Long Term: find her friends from her dream.

Background: Maya received decent grades through high school as well as being gifted on the soccer field, good enough to earn her a scholarship to a small semi-private college, Hartson College, an hour or so away from her family in New Jersey. She is in her third year of under-grad working towards a degree in business/economics. Between being a student athlete and working security/bouncer at a club, Sparks, Maya likes to read fantasy and sci-fi novels. A few years back she had a strange dream that she had been a knight, in a fantastic place full of magic and dragons. For once she had felt like she could be herself. She had met a few other teens that had similar dreams through a psychologist for a research project. She never found out if the paper was ever published or if she and her friends had just been guinea pigs for something. Still she had really liked the others, they seemed to understand that what they had dreamed was real even if everyone else at the time didn’t believe them. Deep down Maya knew it was true, she had a pocket full of rainbow quartz that would feel warm in her hand every now and then. She had them turned into a bracelet and she hadn’t taken it off since. She hasn’t seen the other teens since the project was “completed”.

When home from college she lives with her two younger brothers, parents (immigrated shortly after being born), and maternal grandparents (true Italians). She is usually wearing tennis shoes, dark blue jeans, a t-shirt with some logo and a gray hoodie sweat shirt. Her grandparents run the Italian bakery in town, her mother is the bookkeeper there. Her father works in a bank. She has about 15 cousins from all of her aunts and uncles.

Physical Description:
Maya had shoulder length dark brown hair and brown eyes. She is usually dressed in athletic clothes from the athletic department of Hartson College or her black polo shirt and black jeans for Sparks with the club’s logo in metallic threads and ‘STAFF’ on the back. She almost always has a backpack or duffle bag in tow as she is hardly ever in the apartment she rents with a few soccer teammates.

RP Sample:
Maya pulled her head out of her hand. She had been trying to solve a graph problem for her economics class for the past thirty minutes and couldn’t quite get the numbers to work correctly. She sighed as she let her head roll to the side stretching out the kink, as she tapped the screen of her smart phone. 2:53PM. She had less than ten minutes to hoof it across campus to before her next class started. A lecture of Startups and how they achieved funding to get off the ground. After that she had to meeting with the athletic trainers and then head off to Sparks for the Thursday night shift. Thursdays were hit and miss, depending on what else was going on around campus.

Tossing her book, tablet and notebook into her bag she left the study hall of the library at a brisk pace to get to class. As Maya entered the main concourse of Central Campus Teaching Center, basically a big building full of classrooms and lecture hall for all departments to use, She saw that the one of the stairwells that had been having the flooring replaced was open. Finally! It meant not having to fight the crowds on the main stairs. Pushing the previously off limits door open she stepped through; into nothing.
All of a sudden as Maya’s foot hit nothing and she began to fall, a familiar pulse in her chest flared up. Like her heart was in her throat, but then it subsided as quick as it had come. Stumbling and catching herself, Maya found her nose almost touching a broken stone. She was sure that door led to the east stairs. Standing up and regaining her balance she took in her surroundings.

This isn’t Hartson, she thought seeing a few other people standing around the crumbling stone hall. A small smile crept onto her face seeing the white bearded man in blue. She could not recall his name but he was familiar somehow.

Her smile got bigger as he addressed them. The pulse in her chest felt warm just like her rainbow quartz bracelet. “I’m back,” she whispered to herself holding back a whoop of joy.

Last edited by silverfeathers; 10-13-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Edited to reflect time skip
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Name: Benjamin "Ben" Staley
Ethnicity: white, American
Class: Monk
Personality and History: Ben is your typical, slightly nerdy, slightly-pudgy teenage boy, age 18, from rural America. He had a girlfriend last year, but things didn't work out, so he has turned his full attention to computer programming and watching his high school basketball team. He was never athletic himself; in fact, he tends toward the lazy-end of the spectrum He has taught himself several programming languages and likes to make games and utility apps. He is most proud of an app he calls World-Crafter, a game where players live in a virtual world and construct their own buildings, tunnels, etc. out of 3d textured cubes. He does not love the outdoors, but has spent plenty of time riding his atv around the family's 200 acre former farmland. Dad owns a lawn equipment sales and repair shop and Mom is a school teacher. Ben has a soft heart, wanting the best for others. Ben can play the guitar at a rudimentary level. Ben took karate as a teenager, but he was constantly outshined by his little brother, so he has this secret fantasy of being a karate pro.

Description: Ben is a little heavy and very mature looking. Before the mysterious tornado, he wore t-shirts and jeans and carried his iPhone everywhere. Brown hair, blue eyes, going bald a little early, thick curly beard. After the tornado, Ben finds himself dressed in a monk's robe, Friar Tuck style.

RP Sample: After the tornado vanishes, Ben pinches himself a few times before he notices a few others standing around him. They seem to be just as lost as he. "Did you guys see that tornado? Where did it come from? Where did it go? Are you part of my dream?" Reflecting on his activity just before the tornado, Ben asserts, "I was playing World-Crafter on my iPhone, which is right here in my pocket..."
Apparently Ben no longer has jeans pockets. He notices his new clothes. He feels around for his cell phone, but nothing. He decides to just ride this dream world for all it's worth. He suddenly feels like he could break a board with his barefoot, like his brother had done at the dojo when going for a new belt. Ben had only made it to green, though. To test it out, Ben walks to the nearest tree, lines up his chop, and "Hiya!" crashes right through a one-inch branch on a dead tree. "D-D-Did you see that? I can chop!" He then starts rignt into one of his hyeong patterns he used to practice in the dojo-chop,huh,parry,huh,block,huh,punch-punch combo, and so on. After finishing, he feels his confidence surge. In this dream, I've got some pretty cool skills. Ben looks around for someplace to explore and possibly use his new skills. Talking to the nearest dream characters, Ben says,
"No use hanging around here. Why don't we see what or who lives near by?"
DM for Desert of Desolation for 5e| DM for Contagion for 5e | Smoky, Tabaxi Bard in Curse of Strahd | Jean-Luc, Human Sorcerer in Dark Star Rising | No oaths, but if I start something I will see it through.

Last edited by fromthe1980s; 04-13-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you so much for the App!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5639
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
right-aligned image
Name: Michael Beaumont
Ethnicity: Canadian American
Class: Cleric (death)

Personality: WIP

Description: Michael is tall and lanky, with a mane of curly black hair and green eyes. He dresses like the stereotypical goth: black clothes, eyeliner, etc.

History: WIP

RP Sample: WIP
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1095
DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek
Name: Samuel Duke
Ethnicity: white/American
Class: Barbarian
Personality: Gamer. Wants to make friends, but has trouble relating to people. Will reference video games all the time.
Description: Before: Awkward nerd. Think Napoleon Dynamite

After landing in the new world, he's dressed in a leather loincloth, with fur straps across the chest and back, which support the comically large greataxe strapped to his back.
History: Samuel grew up the middle child of 5 and, as a result, was always bullied by his siblings. Due to this, he is somewhat soft-spoken, and dove head-first into video games and the world found therein. He gets average grades in school, but does his best to not stand out in class, rarely volunteering for anything.
RP Sample: As he strapped his new Oculus Rift on, Samuel prepared to dive into the newest Caves and Demons RPG. He sat, excited, as it booted up, oblivious to the wind that had begun spinning around him. Suddenly, the world vanished and he found himself lying on the ground, the sun shining in his eyes. "Wow, these graphics are amazing," he said, then stood up and looked around. "I'd heard this thing was immersive, but this is incredible!"

Feeling his stomach rumble, he decided to reach over to the bowl of chips he had set on his desk, only to be unable to find it. Reaching up, he tried to remove the headset, only to find that he wasn't wearing it anymore. Instead, as his hand brushed over his mop of hair, he noticed something strapped to his back. Grabbing hold, he pulled it out to discover a massive axe. He swung it a few times, before seeing that he wasn't alone.

"Oh," he said awkwardly. "Erm. Hello."

Last edited by DrSabek; 04-17-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s fromthe1980s
Question. Will characters be able to start as variant human with feats built in as "instinct"?
DM for Desert of Desolation for 5e| DM for Contagion for 5e | Smoky, Tabaxi Bard in Curse of Strahd | Jean-Luc, Human Sorcerer in Dark Star Rising | No oaths, but if I start something I will see it through.