GURPS At the Edge of Chaos - Recruitment Reopened - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16027
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
As you might have noticed this is the opposite of a human-centric world, so the question about what is weird and what is not depends on the perspective.

What I mean is that human that is hairier would actually appear less "beastly" to a Getta, Ilder, Gracan, Boatle etc. And to races that aren't mammals hair or no hair is probably the least of their worries when it comes to frames of reference. In that sense it's probably most interesting for us to first decide how they are viewed within their own human society, small as it is where we are. It's a "beastman's" world through and through.

I brought up the idea of "Berserker" more as an example of a type of people that were said to gain the attributes of animals for certain amounts of time, though you might opt to play somebody that just has certain qualities permanently, rather than turning them on or off. However then you wouldn't need a "trigger" at all really, though you could still decide to have a temper, which would give you a few points to put somewhere else.

To clarify, what we are talking about (whether it's a shapeshifter or a half wolf half human) does not exist in this world yet in any shape or form, and I don't want to just port the trope over. I'm not forcing one or the other onto you either, I'm asking questions so you can solidify and flesh out the idea in a way that'll be unique to the setting.

I guess the most important questions would be: Regardless of what type of special human this guy is - Why does such a thing exist among normal humans and how did it come about?

And "human society" is also not a clearly defined quantity either, since all humans in our location are tenth generation immigrants from over a dozen countries far away. I have some loose guidelines, but since the players encounter barely any humans (and we haven't had a human PC that lasted) none of their cultures are clearly defined. That's why I asked you about it, because figuring out the society, traditions, religion is usually part of chargen. Other people do the same thing when they come up with a new race, basically, but it works the same for a human. It's just that we have the biology out of the way already.

Actually it'd be probably best if we handle it exactly the same way - pick a name for the culture and then describe average appearance, personality, traditions/religions/societal traits. This would be the larger human group this character belongs to, because we are not making a whole nation of wolfmen.

Oh and on wolves - they do not exist everywhere in this world either. So he might be a wolf in a wolfless world, depending on where he actually grew up.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4057
Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael Anael
Is there a huge difference between 3rd and 4th.

Edit sorry I have 3rd edition.

Last edited by Anael; 10-08-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
No worries about having the wrong edition! Doesn't matter to us at all, we've worked out characters with people that didn't have any rules at all before.

Actually I never really played 3e, but here is a thread about the differences of the editions on the SJGames Forum. It doesn't sound like they are major really.

Anyhow, the ideas are probably more important than the mechanics. If you've got a strong vision it's easy to find the rules for it.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:31 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
Im in work but the basic idea I had was a mostly rock type creature. I was thinking long ago some type of aliens crashed in a meteorite and merged with the rock and began to evolve. It took on a humanoid appearance to fit in. Its sort of half biological half rock. Theyd be few in number as reproduction is rare and other races hold them with suspicion because legends talk of how they tried to usurp whatever species they meet by taking their form. Which isnt true.

Ill build more later. If it works otherwise I was thinking of a plant creature.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:09 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds good, I can get behind that!

However before I do I first have to play devil's advocate when it comes to two points: One, we already have a golem in the group, so I wonder if this character might not end up having a lot of the same characteristics, at least in terms of physiology. Attitudes towards both of these characters might run together a little bit too, because they are both weird half-living things.

Two, to actually make this sort of thing work as imagined you often have to dish out loads of points just make the rock man "rock", since it requires a lot of costly advantages and so on, which then leaves you with fewer points to actually define the person within.

So that's two of the cliffs that we would have to navigate around. Some of it can be mitigated, some you would just have to deal with.

In terms of flavour I would probably not talk about meteorites, by the way, just because that relates to an object from outer space. In a way alien also has a space vibe these days, but technically it's a very old word describing strangers in general, so I guess I can't nitpick that.

I'm just bringing that up because outer space is not something the people in the setting are aware of as a fact (though they would have all sorts of theories), and for that matter it might not even actually exist in this world. Maybe this truly is a god's snowglobe (or a disc, cube, tube) - we never defined it, and I wouldn't want to either.

The heavens as a concept are very relevant to our story though, but most people place gods and other supernaturals up there. So it's best if we describe things in that context.

We actually already had a plant creature that you may want to look at - the Seene. You could always pick that up or riff on it.

Anyway, some first thoughts on my end.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm ok let me go back to the drawing board. Dont want to double up on a similar character.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
No problem - we're not on any deadline here. You'll find the current characters in this thread, though Butangon is not a player character anymore.

Some overlap is unavoidable I guess, but coordination is never a mistake. I've asked Murdoch what sort of character they were envisioning (as compared to just their race), so I'll soon let you know about that too.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
blackwolf97 blackwolf97
Thank you for the clarification, Phettberg. I apologize for the numerous assumptions about this world. What ever the analog is for our Canis lupus, let's work with that. Is there an SRD for the bestiary? Is there an SRD for PCs? The way I understood GURPS from their website is that the entire system was built on 4D6. List of requirements complete. I do not want to be obstinate or belligerent, so I would want something source to go off of for you.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
The system itself is generic, i.e. made to simulate near everything you want it to. Therefore no bestiary is "needed", because anything you can imagine you can make with the core ruleset. However, there are books in which wolves and many more creatures are statted out for you to make it easier/quicker. Gurps has no SRDs, much to everybodies annoyance.

I am specifically talking about the setting I've made with the help of my players. Basically with gurps you could have perfectly viable rules for pink flying elephants, but that does not mean they are present in this world specifically. That's what I meant, you can't necessarily assume xy actually exists within this game.

Though let me quickly say that there are wolves in some places, but they are not present where the gameplay is currently taking place. That's not necessarily a concern though, because there are wolves far north, where the humans of this setting live. It's not where we are playing, but a human that grew up down south might still have some relation to the animal. EDIT: So the character would usually be a human descended from others that came south hundreds of years ago - there would still be some of the parent culture present though.

I just took some things out because it was an interesting "what if" for me. There are no horses, for example, so other animals are ridden.

In that same sense Humans weren't actually a normal starting race to begin with either (and they will always remain a minority), which is why they are not described at all under "races". That's one thing why I am asking about their society and all that - we don't with total clarity know what it's like (apart from details about the homeland of the single human PC in game). There is some incidental information the heroes have received about these strange people living thousands of miles away, but you are free to fill in the blanks as they pertain to your character.

That's the flipside of having a very homebrew open world - you can come in with anything, but if it does not exist yet you have to adapt and describe it from the ground up to make sense in this universe. There's next to no human societies described, and neither are wolfmen. So there's a "burden of description" on you, which you wouldn't necessarily have if you pick something that's more predefined. I will only provide impulses, not write the thing for you.

Same would go for a random other trope pulled from another setting/system - like for example a "paladin". Never heard of it, what's a paladin? Doesn't exist in this world yet. When you start to describe it you'd find that there's so many things it depends on, so much that does not exist in the setting or is different, so you have to rebuild around the core of the idea to create something new but sort of similar - that's pretty much the joy of it for me.

If I wanted the fresh out of the oven tolkien fantasy world somebody else has already written it for me. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-08-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
Is there any race youd describe as the most intelligent. I was looking to play a smart character who is looking to chronicle the world, offer new ideas, perhaps some other races would reluctantly turn to them as diplomats or idea men.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:47 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
blackwolf97 blackwolf97
ya know...I kinda like that better description. This dude may have descended from werewolves and his forebears migrated with the rest of the refugees so very long ago. Since that was so long ago, his wolf DNA has been diluted. That's why he has such muted abilities and physical characteristics. This would also explain why he's not alienated due to his demographics; his family bred with the populations of the southern reaches of the world. This character isn't strikingly different, but he's also obviously not the same.

As for his culture, I'll have to be spun up on the world already in progress. I am not a particularly religious sort, so that's how I play my characters. With technology being blasted back to the medieval period, he can't be of a scientific mind. I'll play him as more truth-based than data and research. He's smart enough to figure stuff out, but he's not going to develop an autonomous space cannon nor hack into an AI server farm that was somehow left behind from our era.

From the introduction I concocted, it almost sounds like I'll be playing as a Ranger/Rogue kind of thing. In the intervening years since their exodus, what have the humans been up to? Who and what have they bred with? What cataclysms occurred that have forced rapid mutations of the humans and the indigenous to their current evolution(s)? Are the populaces stronger or weaker than what we know of you and I? Are they more or less resistant to certain weather? Since they had to emigrate across large swaths of water, did they develop better aquatic endurances? How religious are the macro-populations?

I would say, for the sake of getting your game moving again, that my character is WSYWIG, roll stats, and figure out how we're going to meet.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Is there any race you’d describe as the most intelligent.
Just going on the racial template the Ux are the smartest by far. That's just in their nature since they are not very strong physically.

Though since this is Gurps I wouldn't say it matters if some other race appeals to you more. Whether you pay for IQ in the racial template or in the character phase, it costs the same. Though the outlook of an individual race might influence the type of thinker that you develop.

In general though going for something like scholar, thinker, "idea man", even diplomat, could be very good. There's nobody that's cerebral like that presently, and while we have one character that is very chatty already (actually serving as a diplomat in the group) the way I see it you can use two people like that as much as you need two people that can, say, fight well physically.

Murdoch is thinking about a priest character, by the way, but of a god that also has the hunting aspect among other things. This may or may not influence your decision.

EDIT: I've thought a bit more about your idea of an intelligent stone people fallen from the sky. Things happening in the sky or relating to it have popped up a lot in the story, so this might still be something that we could put to use in a different way. For example, what if these stones fallen from the sky are smart but not ambulatory (so physically like a literal rock), communicating only to some people that are receptive to their (telephatic, magical, divine etc) "voices". They would obviously have strange wisdom to impart and a weird agenda, which might be a fun thing to throw in the mix.

Used liked that it'd be more of a plotpoint for your character (or a defining trait), the fact that they've found a rock that only they and possibly a few others can actually hear talking. We had a similar situation with the character that just left us, who had dug up the eye of a god. I'm just thinking out loud here though, it's not something we have to pursue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf97 View Post
I would say, for the sake of getting your game moving again, that my character is WSYWIG, roll stats, and figure out how we're going to meet.
The game is moving, just look in the campaign folder. I'm not rerecruiting because it has stopped but because I am looking for a little new blood.

So actually there's zero rush, since I've got to know that you can produce the kind of things that I need. This includes a comprehensive account of the history and culture of this character's "race" before we even get to the specific person. Of course it also includes the sheet, which is a whole other chapter. There's not going to be any gameplay before it's all done.

If you are looking for a quick fix you are not going to get it, basically. I've run this game for years, so, taking a month on a character, for example, is not really a long time for me.

Let's back up to the beginning - you have to provide a reason why this type of human has mixed with a wolf in the first place. They couldn't have done it "the usual way", so what happened? The answer will need to be genre appropriate.

Might be important to point out here that there are no "half-" races in general. The races do not interbreed so human could have only mixed with human, even in the new home. Though as I said that while there are a variety of different people they only differ in the superficial way. There are no rules relevant changes to their attributes or anything else, it's all in the looks and thoughts.

I don't know which rapid mutations or evolutions you are talking about actually - do you assume the other races in this world have developed from humans? That's not the case, they are completely separate.

Same goes for aquatic endurances, weather resistances etc. The migration happened before the oceans were there, generally, but otherwise they used... boats?

And about religion - yes the populace is religious in one form or another virtually everywhere. In a way you could ask yourself which cultures on the real earth that we know of, going from the year 600 our time backwards, were entirely areligious.

Here we have the added factor that Gods genuinely exist and can be felt in the world, even if they have been silent for centuries. But there was a time (which is returning) when they routinely provided miracles for their followers, and there are long-lived races that remember it like it was yesterday. In this environment being areligious kind of needs a stronger motivator. We the players know that it's the less rational choice here, and that's before getting to the anthopological role that religion fills in early societies.

However the whole thing is different for humans, because contrary to all the other races in the setting they have never received answer to their prayers from the gods. Not before, not now. I won't for certain say whether humans actually have no gods or not - but there are some background reasons for it anyway. Sort of goes with the whole "this is not a human's world" vibe. But remembering our own earth it doesn't exactly matter in terms of whether the populace is religious - now you've got to figure out in what way they are (as it relates to your human culture, not humanity as a whole).

So anyway - questions are fine, but usually it works the other way around. I'm generally asking the questions for you to provide the answers to until a race is done. If this does not appeal to you then maybe this is not actually the right game for you.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-09-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
I like the the idea about the sentient rock I'm more then happy to pursue it. I'm still perusing the established races to see if anything sparks. In the meantime how about a rabbit type race? The Ux didn't really do anything for me as far as getting a feel for a character.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Super, let's keep the sentient stone on the backburner then, at least until we've got the race sorted. At that point it'll help us flesh out the character.

Sure, I get the need to build up the feeling for the race. I have nothing in general against a rabbit-based race (in fact at one point there was a rabbit/camel hybrid in development), but keep in mind that you can always take it beyond real-earth biology.

It seems to me that if we take rabbit somewhat literally it would be a race that could be very close to the already established Ilder. Since murdoch also went down that route, how would you feel about making this a subspecies, rather than coming up with something completely new? They might exist normally in Ilder society, or maybe they developed abroad.

Because in terms of mechanics it would be a breeze to do it that way: Take the Ilder template, drop claws, sharp teeth, tail (as an extra arm) and flexibility (which is specifically good for climbing, which is why the squirrel-based Ilder have it) and add (at the very least) an increased jumping capability and better hearing. It doesn't have to be much more complicated than that in terms of points, and a lighter racial template leaves you more to play with on the character level.

Of course, they could also be larger or smaller than the base species if that was something that bothered you about the Ilder, considering that does not cost anything. Though we'd probably want it somewhat close (so no 20 feet or 2 inch rabbits).

Making it a subspecies also gives you the chance to deviate from the baseline culture towards something that might be more in line with what you want in a character. Might be they are the intellectual elite of the Ilder, actually. Anything that does not gel enough you can simply tweak until it does, but you don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel entirely.

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-09-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Senile Old Coot Returns!

Tools
User Statistics
I like that idea! I'm fine with easy and a subspecies. As for size I was thinking 4 tall or so. You kind of read my mind with the acute hearing and intelligence. I think rabbits can see 360 degrees as well. I will get the gears turning to get a better concept in mind and let me know what you need from me as I go along.