Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 132
stucanje stucanje
The Frostmaiden's Rime

Applications are now closed.

game nameThe Frostmaiden’s Rime

setting + module + themeDungeons and Dragons 5e: Rime of the Frostmaiden. Survival in a desolate and desperate snowy landscape. Elements of horror.

brief game synopsisEvery night, Auril the Frostmaiden takes to the skies upon a great white roc and weaves her curse of everlasting winter upon the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale as she has for the past two years. The desolation has robbed many of compassion, allowing criminal organizations and threatening beasts to take root in the fringes and, at times, within the very pulse of this area’s dwindling energy. With their attention committed solely to the day-to-day concern of survival, there is no time for change — no room for hope.

game info

about me

game expectations

game application

game application c/p[b]Application Status:[/b]
[b]Character Name/Race/Class/Background:[/b]
[b]Character Elevator Pitch:[/b]

[b]Character Appearance:[/b]

[b]Character Backstory:[/b]

[b]Character Secret(s):[/b]

[b]Ten Towns:[/b]

[b]Why I want to play this character:[/b]

[b]About me:[/b]

[b]OOC Name:[/b]
[b]OOC Pronouns:[/b]
[b]Please Avoid:[/b]

[b]Anything else:[/b]

final notesWow, that was a lot! Hopefully it wasn’t frightening or intimidating. I’ll make one of those fancy table things later to mark application progress, though I might not keep it very up to date. I will do my best! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will keep applications open until October 10, and then we’ll begin shortly thereafter.

Last edited by stucanje; 10-10-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:04 PM
Prince of Avolition

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1092
ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief
WORK IN PROGRESS
Jak'sun, Lizardfolk Druid/RogueCharacter Name: Jak'sun
Character Race: Lizardfolk
Character Class: Druid/Rogue
Character Background: Outlander
Character Elevator Pitch:

Character Appearance:

Character Personality:

Character Backstory:
Character Secret(s):

Why I want to play this character: He's the only character i got ready to play a 5e game, and i'm trying to jump in as fast as possible because this site eats 5e games alive.

About me: Same age group as OP, forever PC, been playing 3.5 for about 4 years now and 5e for about 2, all of which has been on here!

OOC Name: Dex
OOC Pronouns: He/him
Please Avoid: Nothing.

Last edited by ChiefDisbelief; 09-30-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1917
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Application Status: Completed (subject to editing)
Yasir al-Malik
Name: Yasir al-Malik

Race: Variant Human (Zakharan)

Class: Artificer

Alignment: Neutral

Deity: Jauhar (Zakharan Goddess of Wealth)

Background: Guild Artisan

Character Elevator Pitch: He is a salesman. Avoids conflict unless strictly necessary, tries to make everybody a friend, or at the very least a neutral party, as it is very hard to buy from or sell to somebody who wants to kill you!

Character Appearance: At 5'2" he would be considered a short human by Ten Towns standards. His face is almost always smiling broadly, and grew a beard after leaving Calimshan, which he takes great pride in and care of. He dresses as smartly and as practically as he can, taking pains to make sure his clothing, nails and hair are clean and intact.

Character Secret(s):

Ten Towns: He's here to make money through commercial success if he can. He's been there long enough to establish links with many of the major local merchants, as is considered a good "middle-man".

Why I want to play this character: I was inspired by the FelixLaVulpe play-story Of Hirelings and Heresy in terms of personality at least. The Character of the story did not seem like a Hero, in fact he seemed to the rest of the party as a sleazy money-hungry slaver, when in fact he was gaining money and slaves in order to free those very slaves from a life in bondage. I think that those are noble intentions carried out in an unconventional way, and my hope is that I can steer Yasir along a similar path.
I like the adaptability and supportive nature of the Artificer Class, as well as it's flavour, and think that playing one as a merchant type seems appropriate.

About me:Due to work/family commitments, I hadn't gotten to play much in 5th until I joined RPGX late last year. I have not played this module, and it's been a few years since I read any of the Drizzt novels. I like to roleplay through my characters quirks, but not in a way that is likely to upset play, and I generally set up my characters to have a decent supporting role.

OOC Name: Tried/Triedtherest

OOC Pronouns: He/him

Please avoid: You already mentioned them as automatically out.

Anything else:

Last edited by triedtherest; 10-11-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 518
Robbie Exley Robbie Exley Robbie Exley Robbie Exley Robbie Exley Robbie Exley
I may have an idea for a character for this campaign but before I put him down are the Dragonborn Variants from Wildemount allowed? Specifically Draconblood since I've wanted to play a wizard for quite some time.

If not I have a few ideas as to other characters that use more conventional source books.

Last edited by Robbie Exley; 09-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
stucanje stucanje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Exley View Post
are the Dragonborn Variants from Wildemount allowed? Specifically Draconblood since I've wanted to play a wizard for quite some time.
Sure! I'll allow it.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Awesome. I will put up a proper application tonight when I get home from work.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:43 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Application Status; Completed - Apologies, I don't have spoilers and things down-pat yet

Character Name; Silfur Ernoth - Character Sheet link; https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=86216
Class; Wizard - School of Abjuration
Background; Noble
Alignment; Chaotic Good
Deity; Bahamut

Character Appearance; Silfur is a slightly built example of a dragonborn but his golden eyes, long flowing tail and brilliant silver colored skin indicate his noble lineage. Wrapped in good quality winter clothes but one thing he wears consistently is the silken robe that matches the night sky which he scarcely takes off, Silfur tends to constantly upkeep a Minor Illusion spell on the robe to give himself a flashy appearance.

Character Elevation Pitch; If you want a man who can cast spells aplenty and serve up justice with a smile and wit then search out Silfur of the noble house of Ernoth. While he might seem like an entitled boy who is far out of his league in the real world his intelligence and unshakeable spirit will carry him through any ordeal.

Character Backstory; Coming from a long line of aristocratic wizards Silfur of the house Ernoth grew up with a great deal of pressure to take over his fathers mantle as patriarch but as he entered his teenage years Silfur began to realize that he resented the poor way his family treated the common folk, especially when it came to the matter of the slaves his family kept. He wished to do something about it so he studied under some of the best wizards that his family could afford to hire, specializing in abjuration magic so he could not only free slaves but also protect them. However even despite this goal Silfur tended to be lazy and unmotivated, often bored by the rather tiresome lectures he received and his spellcasting skills suffered as a result.

Silfur was assigned a young slave woman named Celestine Sunbreeze to serve as his maid but instead the two fell in love, despite their differences in both social class and race. The two began to participate in protests against the inequality, Silfur providing organizational skills and Celestine providing inspiring speeches and testimony. When his father the Lord Ernoth found out he was furious and sold Celestine to a diamond mine in the Spine of the World while Silfur was in Waterdeep finishing his practices with the Arcane Wards.

Silfur has not said a word to his father, nor to the rest of his family since the day he discovered Celestine's banishment. Instead he journeyed north, seeking to track down the woman he loved and protect people. When he found out about the Ten Towns and their constant assault by Auril the Frostmaiden he knew he had to do something, keeping his feelings of guilt locked behind a smiling face and demeanor but for the second time in his life he felt truly determined in his goals. He had a few misadventures on the way but he arrived as a wizard should, precisely when he meant to.

Ten Towns; Silfur is currently looking for the love of his life Celestine who is somewhere in the Icewind Dale. Otherwise he wishes to free the people of Icewind Dale from the tyranny of Auril the Frostmaiden.

Why I want to play this character; This character is based off an NPC my party and I absolutely adore and I have been looking for an excuse to play a wizard since I started playing DND. This way I can kill two goblins with one firebolt.

About me; As a Warhammer 40k and dark fantasy fan I enjoy grimdark things and the idea of struggling against the darkness in order to do good is a concept I personally adore. I tend to play online in a rather reactive way but I do tend to actively react to other players or in some cases instigate banter between the characters, sometimes because I find it funny or at other times it fits my character very accurately. I am looking to expand my horizons both in terms of characters I play since I tend to play martial characters like Revised Rangers and especially Paladins so a Wizard is the opposite end of the spectrum for me.

OOC; I put my actual name as my username for ease of reference so Robbie is fine.

OOC Pronouns; He, Him

Please avoid; Pretty much covered already

Anything Else; Sorry for the wall of text, PM me if you need any more details. Also if we can use UA please let me know as I have a few ideas in terms of feats but if you don't wish to go down that route.

Last edited by Robbie Exley; 10-07-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1379
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Tweaking my app from the last Icewind Dale game that I didn’t get in because I really liked my RP sample and would like to see him get a chance to breathe in game.

Application

Application Status: WIP, pending review by DM

Name/Race/Class: Raithe ak'Terahn, Wood Elf Ranger

Alignment: True Neutral

If you need it killed and skinned, you talk to Raith… although, more likely than not, you don’t even know Raith. The wood elf keeps largely to himself and shows his face little, except to sell his wares or buy the occasional supplies. The merchants he sells to, however, know there’s no one better if you need to get through the wild.

Appearance:
One word: wild. A period of many years hunting and trapping have turned Raith into more animal than elf. The cold climate means he wears heavy animal skins for warmth, even around his face. Wood-elves are incapable of growing beards, but his bearskin hood provides more than enough protection from the hellish cold that permeates the area. Were it warm enough for him to strip down, Raithe is actually very lithe, bordering on emaciated. It is a wonder he still has all his fingers and toes, despite the cold of the area. Nevertheless, he is not without scars, including several violent claw marks across his back from a wolf which flanked him years ago. He is dark-skinned, with scraggly reddish-blonde hair and green eyes.

Character Secrets:

Ten Towns:
A trapper by trade, yet a loner by nature, Raithe makes infrequent visits to towns across the land. When he comes, leading a cart laden with furs, people tend to step away from the wild looking elf. Although lithe like many of his kind, the frequent forays into cold climates mean that he is so bundled with furs, he appears to be part beast. Raith has no real human companions; his only real associates are the traders he deals with in the towns, and even they consider him eccentric. Still, the quality of pelts he brings them are excellent, and in a cold climate such as this, one can never have enough to wear. He has no real home, preferring to hunt and forage. He has a cave he discovered which he has turned into his den, and this is the only “Town” he needs.

Why I want to play Raithe:
Are you kidding? When I first started coming up with the character for the last Icewind Dale game that popped up here, I just thought, “ho hum, here’s another character to min-max, another game to join. Looks neat!” It wasn’t until I really started to dive into his RP sample, where he was out on the hunt that I thought, “Damn this guy is really cool.” I get that he may not be the most personable of companions (he’s not a jerk, at least the picture of him in my head so far doesn’t see him as one), he’s just more isolated. There aren’t a ton of his kind in the area, so there’s some culture clash. And he’s just not super outgoing, probably like his writer. Yet I know in a situation where others were counting on him, he’d be there, fighting to his last breath.
TL;DR: Raithe is a BAMF, and I’d love to play him.

About me:
I had never done play by post until a few months back, but I really enjoy it. I don't see my friends who I played tabletop with anymore, so having RPGX scratches that itch, and gives me a chance to exercise some creativity and ingenuity. I have a lot of fun coming up with my characters and getting into the head of each of them when I post is great fun. I know nothing about this module except that it popped up on a Facebook ad not too long ago, and the concept of an arctic environment really appealed to me. Looking forward to having a chance to join!

OOC Name:
Ben

OOC Pronouns:
He/Him

Please Avoid:
I mean, I’m not a fan of personal insults or insults to my intelligence, but I don’t really see that being an issue. Content wise, I have no hang-ups. Fire away.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:39 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Application Status: Complete!

Character Name: Dingus Festus
Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Rogue
Background: Entertainer

Character Elevator Pitch: Dingus is a chaotic, weird-looking halfling with a penchant for causing trouble simply to entertain himself. A firebrand and rogue, Dingus means little harm to those he so troubles, but believes deeply that everyone needs a little chaos in their lives. With a skillset earned from decades of practice on increasingly daring performances for his traveling troupe and an ego born from still being alive after all the hijinks he's gotten into, Dingus travels in search of new and convoluted ways to entertain himself.

Character Appearance:

Character Backstory:

Character Secret(s): Ten Towns: Dingus arrived in Ten Towns a year ago, well after the blizzards and bitter cold started. How the weird little rascal arrived is constantly questioned, for people about the Dale have found the halfling to be, at best, an unreliable source. And why he came? Even more preposterous! "For fun," he says.

Dingus has also said that he's come to be a hero too. He hasn't said that one often, but insightful sorts have noticed that the halfling's eyes aren't so carefree when he says it. Maybe under all the halfling's pointed analogies and weird jokes lies some sort of gallantry?

Probably not.

Why I want to play this character: I have played many characters with extreme creeds and bonds that tie them down, Dingus is a reprieve from that. All he wants is what we want, an interesting story, and I also can't deny a simple love for truly weird characters. A deformed carnie with a terribly skewed view of what a good life is? That sounds like a wild ride!

As well, I have a group-level reason for him. I find that so much cool stuff can be left unsaid because more serious characters are much less willing to open up. So much just never comes about or comes up since no one is actively tapping them. Dingus is meant to be that constant instigator. A rogue card to bring sudden action when tedium starts to rear its face and silence begins to grow.

About me: I'm an extreme roleplayer. A lot of people will say that as an easy window dressing but I cannot stress enough how much the character and story comes first in my mind. Dingus is almost a total incarnation of my own drive to see incredible things happen in the games I play, to jump into the fray and wax romantic and philosophical in cringy voices.

I love the feeling of true drama and the bonds born between characters in a story, be they party members, enemies or that goofy shepherd the DM made up on the spot one day and now we always check up on. I like bantering and doing things that just sound fun. I know the rules of the game well, I know how to make a "broken" character, but that doesn't interest me. I'd prefer my fighter just has a big knife, even if it only does a d4 damage, because big knives are cool.

OOC Name: Vathe / Cole
OOC Pronouns: Him / He
Please Avoid: A good bit of banter and rivalry is awesome but I'd prefer not to have one character constantly ragging on another, even if your character doesn't see eye to eye with them. I say the greatest hatred stands on foundations of both enmity and respect.

Last edited by Vathe; 10-01-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
stucanje stucanje
Thanks to all who have applied so far (and so fast, wow!); those who would like a review, I will hit up your PMs within the next several days.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 710
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
Posting for interest, because I REALLY want to play this! I'll get up my app tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:13 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 710
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
Was so excited I pulled up an app I had from another Frostmaiden game that didn't work out like Noquarter19 lol.

Application StatusComplete

Name: Wilmorn Sageglow

Race: Half-elf

Class: Ranger

Alignment: NG

Background: Criminal/Spy

Character/Elevator Pitch Wil is a very resourceful young man who congregates with less than savory individuals, not because he's a bad person, but because it's fun for him to not get caught. He doesn't get a thrill from it or anything, he was just bored as a kid and this was where he turned to stay busy. Although he doesn't have any problems stealing from people, or finding out secrets for his employers, whoever they are, he does have his limits. He gets by as best as he can in an isolated place like Ten-Towns, and has done pretty well for himself, and he's even spread some of his earnings around to people in town. Not exactly a Robin Hood type, but he helps out the less fortunate how he can.

[

Ten-TownsWil arrived a year or so before the curse fell on Ten-Towns, so by this time he is a local, even though he tries to keep as low a profile as possible. He makes money however he can, finding work here and there, and plotting heists or other seedy shenanigans with the underground elements of the towns.

Why I want to play this characterI've always had an affinity for rangers, and once I heard about this adventure being released I really wanted to play it. I don't usually play characters with a seedy side, they usually kind of reflect who I am. It'll be interesting for me to try and play a character off brand for myself. I'm a fan of the Forgotten Realms and the Drizzt books, so even if he's not involved it's still cool to play in that world.

About meI can write a little or a lot, depending on how I think I need to help the story along. I tend to be a little more descriptive during action scenes, but I can elaborate with the best of them lol. I tend to like the team building aspect of RPGs, even though that is kind of hard in PBP. I have another group I'm playing with right now though that has been absolutely awesome. I can be reactionary or take initiative, just depending on how my character would react to things.

OOC nameAaron

PronounsHe/Him

Please avoidI'm open to most anything game wise.

Anything elsePlease pick me lol? I think I've covered just about everything that would be pertinent.

Last edited by VaultDweller; 10-11-2020 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Finishing the app
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 170
Saint Squid Saint Squid
Kurghan, Dwarven Druid of Kelvin's CairnApplication Status: Complete
Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Kurghan Silverstream, Dwarf Druid, Leatherer
Character Elevator Pitch: Kurghan is a Dwarven leatherer who is attuned to the dangerous wilds of Icewind Dale. He has lived here all his life, and although the cold has never bothered him that much, the Frostmaiden's curse is tipping the delicate balance of the seasons in this frigid place where his clan has taken hold.

Character Appearance:

Character Backstory:

Character Secret(s):

Ten Towns: Kurghan has lived his entire life just north of Termalaine, and has spent many nights in the town to sell his leathers and furs. He has respect for the hard-working miners of Termalaine, and has shared drinks with quite a few of them. The Frostmaiden's curse has transformed the quiet beauty of the town into a bleak and unceasing winter, and Kurghan mourns what's become of it.

Why I want to play this character: Kurghan is a revised version of a Dwarf Druid I got to play in a game years ago that ended far too soon. I love roleplaying this type of character, who works hard and enjoys a quiet life, but is thrust into adventure because of a dire situation. Kurghan is as Dwarfy as Dwarves can get in my eyes, (even if he isn't one of the iconic classes for the race) and I love playing Dwarves

About me: I tend to keep my writing short and simple (maybe that's why I like to play Dwarves), but I'm relatively new to PbP. I think the style you described in the ad suits me just fine. Kurghan would be a character that speaks his mind, and I know that the archetype of the stubborn dwarf is a tired one, but it tends to work really well in campaigns where nobody else is playing a character quite as direct. I've been roleplaying fantasy games for years, especially in the Forgotten Realms, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at keeping things going at this point.

OOC Name: Ben, but Benji or Squid are what people call me online
OOC Pronouns: He/Him
Please Avoid: As a general rule I don't really enjoy when sex is involved in roleplaying, period (but it's not a dealbreaker or anything, as long as it doesn't go beyond a fade to black)

Anything else: I've been a forever DM for a long time, and I can relate to working a terrible retail job that makes hobbies difficult. I'm a fan of the Forgotten Realms and Faerun, but I don't care if you don't keep with the lore. I know I certainly don't when I DM in the setting.

Last edited by Saint Squid; 10-01-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
I have cleaned up Festus's app to make it sound 37% gooder.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
right-aligned image

Application Status: Done
Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Una/Scourge Aasimar/Paladin will go oath of Ancients/Faction Agent
Una has really close ties with the Druids who worship at the Sacred Tree. She works as an agent for them in the 10 cities. She helps them with their trading and supplies, she sways public opinion in the way that they want it swayed, she delivers messages to and from city leadership to the druids (sometimes information is gotten on sly, she's got a few moles, some city leaders think she's more inclined to see things their way and think she is negotiating for them and she just lets them keep thinking that.) The Sacred Tree is very special - the druids who built a small community around it are able to connect with the primordial energy of the world. But, the tree cannot survive forever in the winter and it is the druids who cast blessings of health and bounty upon the plants and animals that keep the arctic ecosystem, sparse as it is, strong enough to support the 10 communities. Their power fades as the tree withers.

Character Appearance:
Una has a strong face - pronounced features. Overall she's beautiful, but she also has a real androgynous look. I say that because I really like the picture up there in the corner, but I think that might be a real pretty dude? It's hard to tell. So, OK, androgynous.

Character Backstory:
Una grew up in the quaint city of Termaline. Her family are leaders amongst the mining business and well off as compared to most others in ten towns. Una's family are all Aasimars that pretty much try to pass as humans. And, perhaps because of their Aasimar quality they are very involved in the worship of Gods and set their own personal calendar of activities around a temple calendar. They have feast days and a shrine that needs to have certain things put around it that change out each moon cycle. Religion has always been big part of Una's upbringing and she has always felt called to it in a way. She thought she would like to become a cleric, but she's also very physically active with the snow travel, hiking, climbing the mountain, ice fishing and sort of thrives in that culture of living off the land. So, she's reluctant about joining a temple and then just working in a temple. It would have to be an altogether different style of being a cleric or a priest. She's felt the calling, but she's hesitated to answer it and declare formally that her life is in service to a God because she thinks then her life would be so much less interesting. She's just exactly now figuring out that she was meant to be a Paladin. (whatever nature god is best fit for setting, would it be Silvanus?)

Character Secret(s):
Ring Hunter: I am looking for the knucklehead trout that bit off my father’s finger, which had a signet ring on it. To preserve my inheritance, I must retrieve the lost ring. The inheritance includes property in Termaline and rights to 1/6th of the mine's annaul earnings after all fees and taxes have been paid. So, rights to the pure profit. At the same time, if the mine is in the red, the family is responsible for 1/6th of the annual loss.

Ten Towns: Termaline - it's quaint and charming village main economy boost is the blue stone mining trade.

Why I want to play this character: More, I want to play the new module that I heard praised highly before I get spoiled.

About me: I'm an adult. I'm responsible. This is a great hobby. I am a team player - that is - I will happily go along with someone else's questionable plan and I won't give them a hard time if we don't succeed. That's sort of why I enjoy gaming, I like to keep it fresh and interesting so I don't necessarily have to have it all go my way or even the way I was planning it to go. I like the group effort of the game. I hope I expressed that well enough?

OOC Name: cappucina
OOC Pronouns: she and her
Please Avoid: apologies

Anything else: I totally want to do this with a new DM because I am thinking also of trying to run a game too. This idea keeps popping into my head to DM one and I just keep putting it as a to do later, eventually. Also, I suspect the secret text didn't work the way it was supposed to work.

Last edited by cappucina; 10-10-2020 at 12:26 AM.