RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6396
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Gae-Al "Steadyhand" Kalagiano Monk (Way of the Shadow)

Application Status: Complete
Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Gae-Al "Steadyhand" Kalagiano Goliath Monk (Way of the Shadow)
Character Elevator Pitch: Gae-Al is not your typical Goliath warrior separated from his tribe at a young age and thought lost to the frigid cold. Gae-Al did not perish though found by a traveling monk, the large young boy was taken in and brought to the Monastery where he grew into a man. Having completed his training in the ways of the brotherhood, he has set out on his life quest. To find his place in the world and hone his skills to perfection before one day returning and training the next generation of brothers.

Character Appearance: Gae-Al is a mountain of a man like those of his kind. He stands out among his brothers, toppling over all at seven feet eight inch's in height. His skin is thick and slightly greyish in tint as if partially frozen by the cold. His body covered by the tattoo's of his Goliath kin and monastic order. His eyes are almost a complete flat grey making him appear to some as if he were blind. Even at his height he appears to have a lithe muscular build from year of physical training. Even with his large size though he moves with an almost fluid grace, as if he could simply walk across fresh snow and leave no trail in his wake. He wears the simple clothing of his order, dark grey with lighter grey highlights and a sash around his waist.

Character Backstory: Gae-Al was born in the heights of the mountains of Icewind Dale. A proud son of his tribe and family. His people were accustomed to the brutal environment in which they thrived, living off the land and hunting for food and shelter. Unfortunately during a sudden brutal storm, Gae-Al was separated from his tribe and lost in the blinding sleet and snow. Before the tribe had a chance to even search for the boy, he was found. A human man found Gae-Al, taking pity on the boy. Collecting him bringing him along through the terrain and brutal storm for several days before reaching the monastery, which located many miles from where Gae-Al had been lost. Over the course of the next month, the Monks waited and hoped that someone would come calling for the boy. However when no one came they accepted him into their fold. Gae-Al began to train with the other young men and women. Learning the Way of the Shadow, a rare and deadly style of martial artistry.

Even with his size Gae-Al thrived in his new environment, learning the skills of his teachers and working hard to refine and perfect his technique. Do to his size, many of his master's thought he would fail. Gae-Al worked harder and longer than any of his brothers in training, doing all he could to ensure he did not fail them or himself. Gae-Al trained among his brothers until the age of 16 years, earning his nickname of Steadyhand. Like all of the other candidates, upon reaching the age of sixteen he completed his trials. It was rigorous and demanding only the strongest and most skilled succeeding on their first attempt. Gae-Al was one of those who did, earning the brands upon his forearms marking him as a Brother, no longer a trainee.

As was customary upon the completion of training, the new Monk's were sent out into the world to continue and complete their training on their own. Seeking his own path in the world, until one day returning to teach the next generation of brothers. With little more than the clothing on his back and a simple pack with provisions and basic necessities Gae-Al left the monastery behind to find his way in the world.

Character Secret(s):

Ten Towns: Gae-Al came across ten Towns in his travels just prior to the curse taking hold. Since then he has remained helping those he can in the difficult climate, similar to that which he grew up in. Unphased by the cold like most he worked hard to help reinforce the homes and businesses to stand against the brutal weather which plagues the place. During his time becoming friends with many who call the place home.

Why I want to play this character: I think a pious and kind souled monk would be enjoyable to role play, building upon his limited exposure to the outside world. Part of this though being related to his limited experience with his past lover in Ten Towns. HE has little experience with such relationships, and I picture that he is still enamored with the woman, but his path has taken him away. Perhaps part of his journey involves finding his family, that has no idea he is even alive.

About me: I am a long time gamer probably longer than some on this site have been alive. That being said it is not just about dice, it is about becoming the character and playing them as envisioned. In real life I am also a martial artist and actually teach part time. I am eager to translate my own personal experiences with the martial arts into the character. Play this character as the hero who does not seek fame or fortune but to help others using the skills he has been taught. I like to write posts that explain the character's thoughts and feelings, as well as just his or her actions. I consider myself a relatively fast writer and am able to reply frequently being on the computer all day for work. I do at times have to slow myself down some in my enthusiasm in all honesty.

OOC Name: Jared
OOC Pronouns: He/Him
Please Avoid: I am big into character and NPC relationships. The characters should have lives outside of just the party, that said I prefer the party be a cohesive group that look out for one another, not a group who do not trust one another or constantly bicker, unless of course it is harmless banter over top of a deep trust and understanding.

Anything else:As stated I enjoy building character relationships, PC or NPC the characters should have a life outside of adventuring perhaps even a romantic relationship with a PC or NPC. I do not however expect it to interfere with the game itself. In my opinion though having friendships and such only help flesh out and make the characters more rounded individuals with hopes and dreams of their own outside the next successful adventure. They have a reason behind the choices they make and actions they take.

Last edited by JaredSyn; 10-07-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4414
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
Oh cool another Icewind dale game.

I think I'll drop an application!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1614
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Salissa, Yuan-Ti Pureblood Celestial Warlock Sage
Character Elevator Pitch: Inversion of the standard Warlock trope of morally-compromised Warlock dabbling in Evil for the sake of power. She's a ruthless and power-hungry creature whose only route to survival and advancement is doing good - so, acts LG but doesn't much like it. Very high opinion of herself. Emphasis on cerebral over physical abilities. Calculating personality. Fragile, and all too aware of it. Long-ranged blaster, secondary healer. Wants out of this frozen hellscape, but has a job to do first.

Character Appearance: Salissa is an extremely human-looking Pureblood, resembling an unusually dark-skinned Calishite, or light-skinned Turami.

She has long, thick hair of a very dark brown color, which form a cascade of tight coils reaching down to the middle of her shoulderblades. She always wears her hair loose, unless as part of a disguise. She is tall (5'11") and of extremely slender build, but this far north wears multiple layers of heavy clothing which help to conceal this fact. Her eyes are a deep shade of brown, but appear entirely human-like rather than the slit pupils shared by many of her kind.

Salissa's only snakelike features are her forked tongue and fangs, which she conceals with a mask, illusion magic, or (usually) both. If asked, she claims that mask-wearing is the cultural norm in her homeland. She prefers to wear brightly-colored items, which hold positive associations with warmer southern climes in her mind.

Character Backstory:

Character Secret(s):

Ten Towns: Salissa arrived in Bryn Shander a short few weeks prior to Auril's Rime falling upon the area. She was prompted to seek out the far north land by a vision of her patron, who promised that there would be tremendous good to do in the region, and held out the prospect of significant reward for doing so. Salissa has settled in the town, offering healing, advice, and the occasional minor magical benefit to her neighbors. She hasn't exactly coped well with being under the Frostmaiden's curse, but then she already found the environment deeply unpleasant.

The big issue she has is frustration at being stuck here, with no sign of this apparent great opportunity her patron promised. Salissa feels a sense of loss at being so far away from the Yuan-Ti homelands - it's too far north for even lesser snakes to tread, or rather slither. At the same time, she doesn't miss having to be on her guard constantly against the backstabbing of her fellow snakepeople. Salissa hasn't actually seen her patron for some time, so feels a little abandoned. Her attitude is very much that to dwell on these factors is counterproductive, so she just tries to get on with things, to try to ingratiate herself with the locals and read as much as she is able to until she finds something more worthy of her time.

Why I want to play this character: This module seems to lend itself to characters native to northern lands and/or accustomed to living with the cold. I like the idea of going the other way, and playing a character who is a complete fish out of water. I like playing around with established tropes, so the Celestial Warlock has always appealed, and the Yuan-Ti feels perfect on both accounts: from much warmer lands, fundamentally ambitious and self-interested, but required by her Pact to act in a compassionate and selfless manner.
I feel like there's good character development to be had from her becoming increasingly comfortable with what her patron asks of her, and becoming fond (still in the slightly aloof Yuan-Ti way) of her co-adventurers, challenging her supremacist preconceptions. Also, the constant challenge of trying to convey herself as having socially-appropriate feelings is definitely something I relate to!

About me:

OOC Name: Call me T.
OOC Pronouns: They/Them, please.
Please Avoid: Eh, so my character's Black, and places as cold as Ten Towns tend to be super-white, so uh, if I get in I'd quite like this not to be a big deal in-world?
Anything else: I've been dying to tell you... anything you want to hear, 'cause that's just who I am this week!

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; 10-09-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 710
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
I believe my application is complete. I didn't read that you wanted three secrets at first, so I fixed that as I was finishing the rest of it.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 132
stucanje stucanje
Hey, all! Five days left until the application period closes (October 10).

There's been some things I wanted to talk to everybody about, but I keep forgetting it whenever I hop onto the site. Hmm.

Well, first of all, thanks to all who have already applied! I'm thinking tonight I'll PM the members wanting a review. It'll probably be a small paragraph in length, just because I have never done a review, but hopefully that's okay!

I believe the thing I wanted to mention is. Hmm. I just want to emphasize that the first several levels have — and I suppose a majority of the module has — a lot of independence. There's also a fair amount of travel, depending on where my dice land. So I will be relying on you guys as players and roleplayers to take the initiative and go wherever you would like. When I said earlier that I don't want it to be "DM goes and then players go," I mean it especially for these first few levels.

To that end (ah yes! I remember most of what I wanted to say): as we travel between the various towns (most of which take at least 5+ hours to travel between), I'm going to be asking for the players to engage in cutscenes of their own design — kind of like little interludes between towns. I can provide a prompt and provide extra detail if necessary, but the duration of the scene should be a meaningful interaction between some or all of the party. You know, relationship building and such!

Some examples might be... maybe a character stops the party because they're complaining about the cold, and an argument breaks out because of it. Maybe two characters have a conversation together full of tension because they don't trust each other. Maybe the party shares a meal together. Maybe one character throws a snowball at another's head. Maybe one character breaks their snowshoe or trinket and another character has mending readily available. Maybe the party engages in some in-character planning for the events up ahead. Maybe someone tells a spooky ghost story.

Whatever you guys can think of: the world is (mostly) your oyster. I am planning on awarding inspiration for this, but have yet to iron out the details of when and how, as I just thought of it upon writing this. Perhaps I'll award inspiration to the instigator of the scene, or wait until the end of the day if there's multiple travel instances and we can vote on the character who most deserves it.

Last edited by stucanje; 10-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6396
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Always open to review I had to change one Secret in my app.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 182
kopefully kopefully
Soleil DupontApplication Status: Complete
Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Soleil Dupont / Human (Variant) / Rogue / Faction Agent
Character Elevator Pitch: Feeling at odds with the life she lives, Soleil wants to leave her past behind and start anew. Despite being raised and trained for the shadows and for subterfuge, she attempts to put her best foot forward, and to be nice, trustworthy, trusting and selfless, even if it's not the way she should be.

Character Appearance:

Character Backstory:

Character Secret(s):

Ten Towns: She was here for a job, still is, technically, but it's fallen to the sideline as she witnesses the Ten Towns fall into despair and she hopes - perhaps in the name of Lathander - she can bring something sunny back into the town. Maybe then she'll be worthy enough to be a true awakened.

Why I want to play this character: I'd love the chance to see some PC x Deity interactions because I think those type of interactions are underrated, even if they're one-sided. As well, I love the fact Soleil attempts to portray herself and thinks of herself, as someone who doesn't fit her current life in the shadows and wants "better" for herself. She has lack of self-awareness that I would love to explore and see what kind of dissonances I can bring up with her in terms of who she thinks she is, and who she actually is. She also has a very skewed view of the religion and deity she wants to serve, which could lead to some interesting interactions.

About me: I prefer writing in third person present-tense, but I can also do second and first person, and past tense. I'm definitely more of a person who writes for story & characters rather than action & adventure, but I love both sides either way! I tend to sit back and watch, unless I feel very strongly about how my character might interaction/proceed in the situation. I don't care about min-maxing and I will (generally) take the route that makes most sense thematically or narrative-wise.

OOC Name: You can call me Rin.
OOC Pronouns: They/them.
Please Avoid: Suicide, extensive suicide ideation & drowning are the only things I worry about but as long as I'm given a heads up, then I'm all good.

Anything else: I'm mostly reachable on Discord @ stained tupperware metaphor#5928 if there are any questions.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 710
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
I’m open to a review if there’s something I missed in my application, or something that could improve it. I’m sure with the range of characters available, we’ll be able to engage in some sort of witty banter to pass the time in the freezing cold lol.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
stucanje stucanje
Awesome. I only have a few more reviews left to write out; I'll type them up and send them out tomorrow!
Old 10-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1392
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Application Status: Completed

Character Name/Race/Class/Background: Tasin Ninke Jafliroar / Hill Dwarf / Cleric - Tempest Domain / Noble

Character Elevator Pitch: Tasin is as dedicated to his god, Muamman Duathal, as he is to his family and clan. Sent to Ten Towns on family business, he is aware that helping and assisting the towns in their troubles will benefit his families trade business. And his adventuresome spirit and desire to help those less fortunate makes him take on issues most would leave alone. That and his desire to become famous and prove himself worthy of his family and clan. With the never ending storms now he can't do much for his business so is trying to make a good impression through other acts.

Ten Towns:
Tasin was sent to Ten Towns to help set up a trade business between the locals and his family back in Eartheart. He arrived before the storms and is stuck here even though he really has no desire to leave. The storms have stopped him from sending shipments out or receiving any so if he thinks he can do something to stop them or to help build up his family name in these parts he will.

Why I want to play this character:
I do not normally play nobles or leaders so thought I would try something a bit different. I like dwarves and a cleric is always a good addition to a party. I am hoping he will make a good face character for the group.

About me: I tend to write more concise posts and not big long lengthy ones. I try to add a little flavor to them so they are not simply, “He swings his sword at the goblin.” I like to be n active participant in the adventure and not sit back and let everyone else decide. But if I notice that I am the first one posting a lot I will sit back and wait to let some others do more than just follow what I posted.

OOC Name: just refer to me as Draidden

OOC Pronouns: I am a male so, he, him, his are all good

Please Avoid: you covered two big ones. I also like to avoid sex, period. I don't mind characters developing romantic ties. I just not the gritty details.

Anything else: not that I can think of.

Last edited by Draidden; 10-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3905
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Application
Character Name: Trail, "Trail of Valley of the Prowling Slopes Clan"
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Fighter
Background: Outlander
Character Elevator Pitch: Ask around Ten Towns who you should have guide your trip through Icewind Pass and one name will pop up over and over. "Trail is the one you need." The tabaxi guide is almost as known for their stories and heartfelt compassion as they are for their knowledge of the Pass and the many threats that lurk out in the cold. No one quite knows why they survive when guided by Trail, as opposed to the many other guides who fail, but they ask for them by name to make sure they are safe. The fish stew also helps!

Ten Towns: Trail finds the energy and excitement of the Ten Towns refreshing. Having the cities nearby provides all of the creature comforts of life as well as being close to their clan. Trail knew the towns prior to the Frostmaiden arriving with her trouble and has seen the way it has changed the inhabitants. However, they now see less and less people traveling through the pass which is how Trail barters for goods for their clan. It now has affected the Prowling Slopes Clan and something must be done. That is why they have been one of the more outspoken voices at the local council meetings. Trail has befriended some, Sir Gasken the knight from Baldurs Gate and Louden the local blacksmith mainly, and has created enemies of some, the leaders of Lonelywood and Caer-Dineval.

Why I want to play this character: I can't wait to play a race that is typically not thought of as heroic and kind. Trail wants to save the Ten Towns and will find that things are not so simple. The politics of the region, the secret backgrounds and other items will create obstacles for the tabaxi, and their allies, to overcome. I'll wait to fully develop how they react for their different abilities until after I roll for abilities but playing a super happy go lucky kid who wants to save the world will be a fun change from the lawful characters I have tended to play recently. I also want to use this campaign to explore how different entities relate to one another and their chosen identities.

About me: I love a great story and will add to the detail whenever possible. I try to create an interesting story with my character in my mind and then use that to create ties with other PCs and relationships with NPC's keeping the PC's alignment and backstory in mind. One little trick I use on all my campaigns is that I take notes about PCs, NPCs, world build, etc and keep it logged for future use. If my character has certain traits or ticks I will reference them every so often. If another PC mentions something in detail I may refer back to it right away or I may bring it up months later as a reference back. I love the threads that tie the stories together. I am less of a hack and slash player and more of a creative story person, more roleplay than roll play.

OOC Name: Tim
OOC Pronouns: He/Him
Please avoid: Nothing above and beyond what you have mentioned.

Anything else: This campaign looks awesome and I'd love an opportunity to be a part of it. R.A. Salvatore's books (and Drizzt specifically) brought me back to D&D after a long time away. The books are a great read and I hope to be able to do the theme justice for this homebrewish take on Icewind Dale! The posting rate is awesome and I am willing to adjust to slower times as needed. I believe in having fun and hate when tension and stress gets in the way of a good story. To that end I try to help others OOC whenever possible and I am very willing to cater to everyone's needs to make the campaign successful!

Last edited by Trmmilwwi; 10-09-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1392
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Where would you like us to roll stats if not here? I know he is not chosen yet but it helps me round him out if I know what his strengths and weaknesses are.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
stucanje stucanje
Stats will be rolled in the game's forum, once it's up and everybody is notified for acceptance. In the meantime, please feel free to simulate the rolls you'd like using the point buy system.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
stucanje stucanje
Okie dokie! I have reviewed the apps and sent off PMs for those who have requested a review (I think); if you would like one, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread saying so and I will do my best to oblige before the 10th.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 120
Saint Squid Saint Squid
If you have time I'd appreciate a review! If there's anything about my app you think needs changing or might not fit your campaign I'm happy to work on it more