RPXP: 7401
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Return to The Tomb of Horrors

Game NameReturn to The Tomb of Horrors
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemePreventing the rise of another Lich
FlavourPain.
Plot Summary
The nightmare of Acererak's tomb once again hungers for life!

SynopsisMany years have passed since the story spread that the Tomb of Horrors had been conquered. But strange and evil things are stirring. The dead not only walking but actively raiding villages, kidnappings, spirits haunting the living, and bone-chilling rituals being discovered by the light of dawn.

Will you rise up and face this spreading threat, great hero? Are you one of the 'lucky' souls to survive the tomb and must once more endure life-ending danger to stop this new threat? Or do you simply crave glory and treasure, and this is the perfect opportunity to secure both in staggering measure?

Warning!
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

This module is the sequel to Tomb of Horrors.
Yes. SEQUEL.
As such this module is not for the feint of heart. I can't recommend newcomers to Pathfinder to apply though I will try to help you as best I can to ensure you have 'fun' while playing. This is an AD&D module and is designed to humble any adventurers thinking there's no threats left to face in the world. You will struggle. You will bleed. And if you die here, there's nothing Wish will do that can recover your body or your soul. Min-maxing is required, but I ask you to please avoid Munchkining. I want this to be a challenge (in time for Halloween) but not have it compeltely broken by more ridiculous builds (*coughZenArchercough*)
I'm not out to kill PCs. I will reward good RP and clever tactics to overcome the brutal challenges that await you, as well as reward you appropriately. I just want to make it very clear this is a difficult module.

ApplicationName:
Race:
Class:
Appearance:
Personality:

5 Step Background:

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. One of these should include where they are from.
Step 2: List 2 goals; one should be your character's goal. The other should be a goal you have FOR your character.
Step 3: Describe 3 people that are tied to the character. Two should be friendly. One should be hostile.
Step 4: Describe 3 memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
Step 5: List 2 things that make your character afraid and 2 things that give them hope.

Extra Credit: List one act that your PC is either famous or infamous for. Not everyone can be a member of the previous group that braved the tomb last time.

Additional Information
Applications are no longer being accepted.

You will start at Level 14
You will start with 200,000g to build your character.
You will use 25 Point-Buy to build your character. The option for 4d6, drop the low is available should you prefer. You may reroll a single 1 from one set of 3d6 until you get a 2 or better. The dice thread can be found here
All material found on https://aonprd.com/ can be used. Third-party feats, material, and classes will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
You may choose two Traits and one Drawback.
Feat Tax is in effect. You can find the explanation for how they'll work here. Elephant in the Room
You cannot multiclass with classes from the Advaced Class Guide. No Warpriest/Slayer/Horizon Walkers or Master Summoners here! You are free to use the Prestige Classes from Advance Class Guide though. Slayer into Horizon Walker is acceptable.

Player Character Race & Class App Status
SelfAwareNPC Dr. Jonathan Voss Human Archaeologist Complete
ricktur63 Grenndal Lightwielder Aasimar Aegis/Soulknife/Metaforge Complete
Admin Dirk Salix Malphage Tiefling Witch Complete
Eviltedzies Diamon 'Deathshadow' De La Rue Slayer Complete
Mrjoejangles Reaghan Mycroft Unchained Rogue/Inquis/Dark Delver Conplete
Noquarter19 Slag Trox Barbarian Complete
Digorig Elanil Zylbella Elven Arcane Archer Complete

Last edited by Tyeal; 10-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7055
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Placeholder. Expressing major interest. I've been wanting a game/character about this level to play.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Tyeal; 10-04-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:41 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7055
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
I want to say thanks for running a game here on RPGX! I'll see what I can get worked up for your tentative approval.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2392
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
What’s your thoughts on Variant Multiclassing?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
What’s your thoughts on Variant Multiclassing?
I"m afraid I'm not as familiar with Variant MC'ing as I should be while running high level Pathfinder. So for this I'll say it's not available.

Last edited by Tyeal; 10-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:06 PM
Good Writing > Power Game

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
SelfAwareNPC

Application
left-aligned image

Name: Dr. Jonathan Voss
Race: Human
Class: Archeologist
Role: Trap Disabler, Knowleges, Tank, Healer

Appearance: A well kept, modestly dressed, elder being with lanky greying hair and well trimmed beard, Dr. Voss keeps his clothing well fitting and equipment well placed in order to avoid the dangers of delving in potentially dangerous excavations and ruins to a minimum. He is conventionally handsome and soft-spoken, his actions slow and deliberate and prone to deep introspection whenever considering the tasks at hand. A well equipped brown vest betrays a a few glimmers of elven-crafted armor below, and a sparkling hilt gives hint of a truly exceptional weapon. A tiny monkey occasionally pokes it's head out of his backpack, ever on the lookout for dangers that it's master may not be aware of.

His somewhat mundane appearance and calm demeanor belie his impressive defense and surgical precision in combat, falling back upon supernatural luck and uncanny knowledge rather than skill to get himself out of difficult jams.

Personality: As an academic who has led a charmed life, Dr. Voss is a chipper and chatty individual, tempered by years of experience and the wisdom of ages. Fueled by a heritage-fueled amount of uncanny luck, his early formative years made for a brash young individual, only to be made humble when he began to experience the harshness of life after his career transition to adventuring, brought on by his own ignorant hubris. Though the Gods seemed to always look favorably upon him, the same could not be said about the friends he has made along the way. As a result, he has grown somewhat jaded and cautious in his elder years, having lost one too many companions to the harshness of the difficult and merciless path of adventuring.

Now he is a seasoned warrior as well as a respected academic, choosing the path of caution over brash action. There is still so much good he can enact in the world, but he will avoid losing fellow friends at any cost. Loyal, compassionate, and wise due to hard experience, he is highly regarded among his companions as a sage advisor and a respected leader figure.

Step Background

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. One of these should include where they are from.

Step 2: List 2 goals; one should be your character's goal. The other should be a goal you have FOR your character.

Step 3: Describe 3 people that are tied to the character. Two should be friendly. One should be hostile.

Step 4: Describe 3 memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.

Step 5: List 2 things that make your character afraid and 2 things that give them hope.

Extra Credit: Author of the books The Monkey Kingdom Revealed, Where is the World is Kharmac, Sunidoga?, Crystal Mazes and Shattered Minds, and Time and Time Again: The Search for the Chronosphere

Last edited by SelfAwareNPC; 10-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Good Writing > Power Game

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
SelfAwareNPC
Are you using traits, BG skills and/or elephant in the room tax feat files?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Good question!
I will allow 2 Traits and 1 Drawback. And I'll use the Feat Tax files to help cut out A LOT of Feat chaff to better optimize everyone's builds. No BG skills.

Last edited by Tyeal; 10-05-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11488
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies
Interesting....... never played the first Tomb of Horror's but to think there was a sequel.

Might craft a red-shirt seasoned adventurer if my time doesn't get too crazy.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 PM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 67261
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I was just accepted into three games in 36 hours, and this pops up... a high level PF game, that I have been dying to find.

Curse my bad luck!!!! Ugh.!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
I was just accepted into three games in 36 hours, and this pops up... a high level PF game, that I have been dying to find.

Curse my bad luck!!!! Ugh.!
Well... If it helps sway you to consider writing something up I've gotten complimented on my ability to describe in detail the environment my party for Princes of the Apocalypse is traipsing through. And this one goes into some crazy, and METAL, places!

Last edited by Tyeal; 10-05-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:01 PM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
zen archer is a ridiculous build?

(granted, I've never managed to play one at 14th level for more than three rounds of combat, but even in that time, the wizard and druid were blowing past him in damage).
Old 10-06-2020, 05:51 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
zen archer is a ridiculous build?

(granted, I've never managed to play one at 14th level for more than three rounds of combat, but even in that time, the wizard and druid were blowing past him in damage).
My understanding is once the Zen Archer gets to a high enough level (the level we're playing at or damn close) it becomes absurd with its damage output. What with Haste + Flurrying Perfect Strikes + Deadly Aim + Ki Arrows that deal their Unarmed Damage, etc. It CAN get out of control but it's more me just poking fun at a class everyone has dog-piled on for some time now.

I'm aware of where the true evil lies -glares at Master Summoner and Synthesis Summoner-
Old 10-07-2020, 06:59 AM
This space for rent

Tools
User Statistics
Ah... a perfect min-max build might be able to do that, you are right.

I never seem to be able to go "all in" on things like that... I tend to finish my days with spells left, ki unused, points unspent, powers left in the box... because I dislike the one hour adventure day, and I always fear being without a power when the DM sends an assassin into your campsite at midnight, etc.. It's like those hikers who drink all their water on the way up the trail, and then have nothing left for the way back. I like to have water in my bottle when I reach the car at the end of the hike, just in case there's a person there collapsed with dehydration.