DnD5e Building a City of Light in a Dark Age - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
justsujoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge67 View Post
Sure you can use a High Wizard.... look into specializations. You still have to work on city defenses, a transmuter would be important. Enchanters to keep the people calm in this time of stress. An Evoker is always thinking of battle defenses or new ways to set off offenses. This city is in horrible need across the board and that is just looking at a bare bones map. I don't know what conditions or if they even have bridges, towers, what conditions are the buildings in? A Conjurer can conjure creatures to help move resources to build with.
Riiiiiighhhhtttt... Now I understand why people get confused with too many options. My knowledge of wizarding is quite limited to firebolts, fireballs, earthquakes, thunderstorms and infernos.

Why do I sound like a pyromaniac?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5511
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Yeh when going for magic I often play a pyro sorcerer. But there's lots to do with magic. Even some telekinesis and tensers floating disk could be lots of help. Or stone shaping. But mostly it will be keeping the city safe from magical threats. The best army won't be able to defend against a portal to hell opening in town or an evil mage casting fireballs down on the town from a mountaintop.

The town itself is in good shape, but small and quaint. It has some palisades and some wooden watchtowers, a tavern and inn, a small market and chapel, a town hall and town square, some farms, a small mine, a river fishery, and a couple of streets of houses and cottages. It was fine as a little outpost on the edge of the empire, but isn't in any shape to stand on its own. Now the road is falling apart in terrible shape and the imperial garrison is all but gone.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1629
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
Riiiiiighhhhtttt... Now I understand why people get confused with too many options. My knowledge of wizarding is quite limited to firebolts, fireballs, earthquakes, thunderstorms and infernos.

Why do I sound like a pyromaniac?
That is fine, what do you either have the most experience at or really would love to play? Heck you can't go wrong because it looks like the group needs everything.

Note to other interested parties; The group has several openings and will need more than one wizard. I as an unpopular Dwarf will be working inside the mountains to establish travel networks, but there are also forested areas on top of the mountains that will need to be scouted and secured.

And Code H; Didn't do a bad job of scouting with limited info, did I? And boy do I have plans.....Good Plans, Bad Plans, Genius Plans, I got plans for every condition.... Need to go underwater? I got plans to make us sink Need to fly? I got plans for a catapult. Plans

Last edited by Sarge67; 10-15-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
justsujoy
The issue is that I have never played table-top.

My experience with role-playing is pbp - where I've hardly ever leveled up or computer games where the entire spell selection is on a curated tour.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
justsujoy
I'd like to play someone hands on - amongst the people kinda guy. Uncle Iroh kind but cruder.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
NOTICE: CODE H

Old login; Sarge67 is now Sarge6 just for ref.

I have the distinction of being the only person in the history of this site to have that kind of 'issue' it has now been resolved.

"You may not trust me, you may not like me, but look around at your city. You need me."

Pasted my character to here because the other account will be merged.

Name: Gardain Stone-Cracker
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Ranger 2 (Hunter)/Artificer 1 (Artillerist) (Mountaineer/Mason)

Role: Scout and Engineer. Establishing and securing new routes for travel. Assessing and upgrading city defenses.

Description: Gardain stands 4'9" with a barrel chest and thick stumpy arms. His skin is a pale-hue with green eyes and Red hair. He has braided his beard with gems weaved into the strands. He wears a simple leather armor with two mining picks for weapons hanging from the loops of his trousers. Gardain has two bandoleers which attached to mason and mining tools.

Background: I traveled to the settlement following the news that the Imperial City fell. My knowledge of neighboring communities allowed me to provide a wagon full of food and chemical supplies for healers. During my travel to the settlement, several weaknesses in the engineering and security were discovered. Gardain also discovered signs of the presence of major threats nearby which would require an experienced tracker to hunt down.

Motivation: Gardain has a two fold motivation, one being selfish. With the immense number of mountains, the dwarf intends to be the first to assess and claim the rights to promising metal and gemstone veins for clan Stone-Cracker. If the veins prove to be worth the venture, he will invite his clan to migrate here and work the mountains. The second of Gardain's motivations is to help the settlement recover from the fall of it's Empire.

Goal: Establish a stone quarry and mining operations for Clan Stone-Cracker. Gardain also intends to create safer travel routes connecting into networks from within the mountain chain. He intends to connect networks leading away from Dragonsford

Allegiance: Clan Stone Cracker

Last edited by Sarge67; 10-15-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:15 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Thofed Thofed Thofed Thofed
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsujoy View Post
I'd like to play someone hands on - amongst the people kinda guy. Uncle Iroh kind but cruder.
A village elder or Sage or something would be cool like an advisor that everyone looks up to and listens to even if they donít hold an official position.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:21 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
HereticHusband HereticHusband HereticHusband
Name: Molin Lundstrom
Race: Human
Class: Fighter, Battle Master archetype
Role: Diplomat.

Background
When Molin retired from his life as a soldier, he was assigned to be ambassador to [insert name of insignificant race], and posted here in Dragonsford. It was an easy assignment, a reward for his years of service. However, he has come to realize that the assignment, like the Empire, is a joke. His self loathing has grown as the Empire has declined, and at the news of its collapse, he got drunk and stayed that way.
Motivation Molin is, at his core, a patriot. He wants a return to the glory days of the Empire. He believes that corruption, while regrettable, was not the main cause of the Empire's downfall. Rather, it was weakness. Too many concessions given, and no stomach for the glory of battle. If someone can help him make this happen, he will be all in.
Goal Molin is a man in search of a goal. Currently he is drinking, gambling, and ranting to anyone who will listen about how he knows why the Empire fell and how to fix it.
Allegiance The Empire. Note that he has no desire to be Emperor; he wants to rebuild the Empire, not rule it.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:29 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
justsujoy
Name: Loharc Imansi
Race: Human (with a bit of elvish ancestory)
Class: Wizard (Battle Mage / Researcher)
Role: Magical Support, Researching and Studying artifacts, Education, Organizer
Age - 60

Background.

When Loharc retired as the Wizard attache' of the 15th Imperial Legion, it seemed that he had a life of calm and luxury ahead of him. His ancestral villa on the outskirts of the Imperial City was richly anointed with the spoils of the many conquests of the Legions. His wife and young daughter awaited his return while his eldest son had made a name for himself in the Legions while his second son was on the way to becoming a scholar. Loharc could finally find time to further his study of magic in peace and comfort.

--------------------------------------------

Five years later, as Loharc trudged up the Old North road ragged and dirty, the memory of his family still felt like a knife wrenching his guts. He had no idea why he was going through this much trouble to fulfill Grundash's last wishes but the man had given his life while trying to save Loharc's family and he could at least return Grundarsh's money and belongings to his family.

Loharc watched as the children shuffled restlessly waiting for the lesson to be over. Tonight was Midsummer's Eve and the youngsters were much more interested in the preparations for the festival than the Circumference of a Circle. With a sigh Loharc put the chalk down and let the squirming troublemakers run off. It had been almost a year since he had arrived at Dragonsford to break the news of death to Grundarsh's older brother Ormarsh and his wife. Obviously they took it badly - there was no other way to take it but even in their pain, they were courteous enough to insist that Loharc spend the night at their house.

One night became many as two pained souls, Loharc and Ormarsh, found comfort in sharing each other's grief. Still Loharc would have journeyed on if Ormarsh's four year old daughter hadn't made it amply clear that she would never talk to Loharc if he ever left. Unable to break this bond, Loharc stayed on in Dragonsford, teaching at its small school and helping the people.

Motivation:- Loharc has found a new family in the people of Dragonsford and will do everything he can to help out. He has also lost one family and will happily die to protect this family.

Goal:- To help people especially Ormarsh's family and make Dragonsford a better place.

Allegiance:- To Dragonsford. He neither loves not hates the empire. He understands why Dragonsford has been overlooked in the calculus of empire building but he also knows too well, the corruption of the empire.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra:- Loharc would not openly discuss that he was a war-wizard of the Imperial expeditionary forces and has quite a lot of blood on his hands. He has used magic to help the people, entertain and teach but people would not know how powerful he really is. Or rather was.

[b]Personality:-[b] Think of Gandalf the Grey (Lord of the rings movie) meets Uncle Iroh from Avatar the last Airbender (the Animated on not the movie one).

Last edited by justsujoy; 10-15-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1849
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Hasim del-Midas

Name: Hasim del-Midas

Race: Variant Human (If there is an equivalent to Arabia in this world, he is originally from there)

Class: Artificer (Artillerist)

Role: Crafting (Everything!), Alchemy, Nature, Survival, Mercantile/Craftspeople Leadership

Description: Hasim is a greedy man, and wouldn't care much for Dragonsford except for the fact that he has literally nowhere else to go! Dresses well, but not gaudily,

Background: Hasim cannot remember his country of origin, but his parents told him that their entire family was banished from there on pain of death, they never did say why. He was trained in as many crafts of his own and adopted people as he could craft in his head, taking on many different apprenticeships, including one at the Renowned Imperial War-Wizards Academy which, while he had no talent for magic himself, he found that he could "fake-it" with cobbled together magical items of his own design.
He went on to become one of the War-Wizards official Weapons Manufacturers for several years, until some of his more deadly creations found themselves in the hands of violent criminals. He avoided the charge for illegal weapons sales but his name and reputation were tarred, and he had to leave the Capitol and go where nobody knew his name. A desolate backwater....Dragonsford
He spent the next few years building up his business and contacts, often working as a consultant with other peoples projects, gaining a reputation for both his greed and his magi-technical brilliance! Over time he became an essential part of the town's Merchant and Tradesmen Guild, some would say that...He IS the Guild!

Motivation: Dragonsford is a dead backwater to a now-dead Empire, but it's all he has, and he will be damned if he will let it die and let himself be homeless...again!

Goal: Money, power, immortality, and a cushy life. He wants Dragonsford to be a power in the world, and himself as an important part of that power!

Allegiance: He has no allegiance to anybody but himself, but he has a measure of power here in Dragonsford, and he will not easily give that up!

Last edited by triedtherest; 10-16-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Is anyone considering

Lumberjack, Carpenter, Shipwright, Wagoneer, Animal Handler, Sheriff, Judge, Brewer, Priest, Locksmith, Trapmaker, Chronicler, Bookkeeper,

Last edited by Sarge67; 10-15-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
oops
Old 10-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5
spire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge67 View Post
oops
I'm really curious what you were trying to do
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by spire View Post
I'm really curious what you were trying to do
I did a quote in order to get the image code (which my image didn't work), but instead of just getting out of the post I accidentally posted it...so i fixed one thing but can't delete that post so i said oops.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Ghrimm
I was actually considering throwing my hat in the ring for a sheriff/judge type. I imagine it could be a bit of a combined role in such a small community with only major offenses going before a council or possibly, before its collapse, being referred to the Empire's agents. Here is my app:

Name: Constable Sabyan Blackmoor
Race: Human (v)
Class: Rogue/Inquisitive
Role: Law and Order, Investigation
Description: Sabyan's sandy brown hair is cut almost brutally short, and his mustache and goatee appear precisely trimmed. His posture is rigid, his dress impeccable - not because he cares about such things but rather it is because that is how such things should be handled, with care and precision. By far the most startling thing about Sabyan are his eyes - steel grey and with that piercing quality to his gaze that seems to pin you to the wall whenever he focuses it on you; the kind of gaze that sees straight thru to your soul. A man of few words, but what words he speaks you would be advised to hear.
Background: (Mechanical background is City Watch/Inspector) Sabyan is a lifelong resident of Dragonsford, having been born to local farmers. He was their fourth child, and by his own estimation one too many mouths for them to feed. As soon as he was old enough Sabyan joined the city's militia where his sharp mind and inquisitive nature allowed him to advance quickly through the ranks. His parents have passed and the farm now belongs to his eldest brother and his wife.
Motivation: Order and the Rule of Law are the main forces in Sabyan's life. The collapse of the Empire is just the latest example of what happens when lawlessness and greed are allowed to rule the hearts of men. He is by no means a saint and he understands that not everyone believes as he does, but Sabyan recognizes the need to maintain order if their community is to survive. And it must survive, for Sabyan's family lives here - and like all aspects of his life, Sabyan takes his familial duties very seriously.
Goal: Sabyan wants to establish a legacy of justice that will outlive him, a system of law with the manpower and resources to enforce it that will allow Dragonsford to prosper. He recognizes that criminal elements will, and perhaps even must, exist but sees the need to regulate such activity to ensure order is maintained.
Allegiance: Not overtly religious and having little use for nobility, Sabyan puts his faith in the people and the law. He believes that people are generally inclined toward good and order, and in a fair and just system will be happy and prosperous. His allegiance therefore is to the city as a whole, to justice and to order.

Last edited by Ghrimm; 10-16-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Image link didn't work