PF-1e Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:33 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
I have the bare-bones of an idea for a character in this game. He is essentially "Del Boy" from the British sitcom Only Fools and Horses, a wheeler-dealer with a whole raft of connections that could be used in this turbulent "New World".

Mechanically, he would be borrowing heavily from the Spheres of Might, specifically the Conscript Class and the Leadership Sphere.

Maybe he could be the Death Metal character's dealer.
I left the part about allowing the Leadership Sphere before I had settled on a starting point for this game and now, seeing as how the action starts only 5 days into the Apocalypse, I will be banning the Leadership Sphere Follower Package. If you would like Cohorts we can see what might work but it has to make sense in the context of the game. If you wanted to make a character with a child or perhaps a significant other, for example, you could use the Leadership Sphere to do that, but having contacts and followers goes beyond the plausible for the game as it stands.

If things develop far enough for societies or cliques to form and enough survivors form a network later on in the game, I might be amenable to opening the follower package at that time.

For now consider the Follower package banned.

I am actually going over every Combat Sphere at the moment to ban egregious talents in each one. This will be particularly important when I reach the Tech Sphere and Technician Class. I would like to keep things at current tech levels so no advanced tech ray beams and such will be permitted.

I am banning other talents that seem outside the realm of plausibility like Earthquake stomp and stuff like this which seem impossible in a more realistic setting.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone, I am still working out the details of the mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundayknight
Quick question for you Leo. Would spell-less variants of magic classes be allowed? I.E. Trapper Ranger or Tempered Champion Paladin.q
Archetypes of magic-wielding classes who give up their spellcasting are absolutely ok so long as they don't have any Supernatural effects that might not seem realistic in this game. I may tolerate some supernatural effects, such as those possible for the Monk, so long as they don't involve anything too outlandish or implausible. The Monk's Wholeness of Body should be traded out with an Archetype, however. I don't want any magical or supernatural healing at all in this game. Every Hit point counts!
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron

Last edited by LeoByron; Jun 16th, 2021 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:18 PM
WreckedAll WreckedAll is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2021
RPXP: 150
WreckedAll WreckedAll
Posts: 60
Hey, what would the stats on a chainsaw be?

Edit: I'm thinking of jacking up the fort save to +11 and wading into battle. Maybe wear slaughter shields...

Edit again: Can I put stickers on the chainsaw? Like a big smiley face?

Last edited by WreckedAll; Jun 16th, 2021 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:36 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckedAll View Post
Hey, what would the stats on a chainsaw be?
Technological Weapon Dmg (S) Dmg (M) Critical Range Charge Use Weight Type
Chainsaw 1d12 3d6 18-20/x2 - 1/hour 10 lbs S

This version would require the Tech Sphere to create. Note that it may impose a penalty to the wielder if it was created by another character, depending on the creator's build.

There is another version here. This version would require charges, which for this game I would interpret as gasoline.

Edit: Yes you can put stickers on your chainsaw lol
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron

Last edited by LeoByron; Jun 16th, 2021 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:40 PM
WreckedAll WreckedAll is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2021
RPXP: 150
WreckedAll WreckedAll
Posts: 60
Touch attack?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:41 PM
MundayKnight's Avatar
MundayKnight MundayKnight is offline
Now a Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 10944
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Posts: 7,357
Lt. Eric Kilkenny
Race: Human (Heart of The Slums)
Class: Conscript (Armored Dreadnaught Tradition, Armor Training Specialization) Focusing spheres: Shield, Guardian.
Intended Role: Control Tank
Alignment: Chaotic Good

 

 

 


You can use the 10-minute Background to guide your character creation if you choose:

 

 
__________________
Life is back to normal for now, well as normal as it is for anyone right now I suppose.

Last edited by MundayKnight; Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:45 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckedAll View Post
Touch attack?
Do chainsaws target touch AC? No.
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 01:47 PM
CMRawles's Avatar
CMRawles CMRawles is online now
Anarquista
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 291
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
Posts: 155
Questions:
  • Pathfinder firearm tech only goes up to like, WWI. Will more modern firearms be introduced and stat'd out for use?
  • Does property cost the same in-game as in real life?
  • If the previous question was "yes": Does the aforementioned question apply to firearms, and if so, is this game pre-COVID? Because gun prices like, doubled during COVID. (This last question is a bit of a silly one, I know)
__________________
She/her
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 02:07 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRawles View Post
Questions:
  • Pathfinder firearm tech only goes up to like, WWI. Will more modern firearms be introduced and stat'd out for use?
  • Does property cost the same in-game as in real life?
  • If the previous question was "yes": Does the aforementioned question apply to firearms, and if so, is this game pre-COVID? Because gun prices like, doubled during COVID. (This last question is a bit of a silly one, I know)
I will not be homebrewing any stats for firearms. Those currently in existence will have to suffice. That said, the Tech Sphere or Technician class may offer different options.

I am probably not personally knowledgeable enough about firearms to know the difference tbh. The stats for Rifles, light machine guns, shotguns, etc all seem fairly adequate to me. Is there something specific about their statistics that you find inadequate or archaic?

I have explicitly stated that firearm prices, as well as those for all weapons, will be in gold pieces as listed in the SRD or AoN.

Items not in the books, SRD or AoN, such as houses, specific items of clothing or other equipment not included, can use real-world prices. If you want a house, check local listings in Chicago for real estate and we can gauge an approximate price based on that. 3000 gp equals 300,000 dollars based on the conversion I proposed so it is entirely possible actual houses may not be affordable for most characters. A quick check on the interwebz shows me houses for as low as 70,000$ in Chicago so it's not impossible heh.

The Noble Scion Feat might change that somewhat, however.
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 02:37 PM
WreckedAll WreckedAll is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2021
RPXP: 150
WreckedAll WreckedAll
Posts: 60
what are the game effects for taking LSD?

Last edited by WreckedAll; Jun 16th, 2021 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 03:04 PM
CMRawles's Avatar
CMRawles CMRawles is online now
Anarquista
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 291
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoByron View Post
I am probably not personally knowledgeable enough about firearms to know the difference tbh. The stats for Rifles, light machine guns, shotguns, etc all seem fairly adequate to me. Is there something specific about their statistics that you find inadequate or archaic?

I have explicitly stated that firearm prices, as well as those for all weapons, will be in gold pieces as listed in the SRD or AoN.
The only thing that I have any specific concern about regarding this is that there's no option for modern style rifles, and the cost of those firearms available is way out of sync with the conversion rate currently set out:

The Mosin Nagant has a 10 round internal (IE, not detachable or replaceable, like modern rifles) magazine reloaded by stripper clips (IE, not a detachable box magazine, again, like modern rifles). It is also bolt-action rather than semi-automatic though that isn't really represented in the mechanics of the game so it's not so much an issue. It also costs (according to the conversion rate currently set out) an insane $50,000, compared to its real-life cost of about $200, more than the price of most new cars.

In other words, there's nothing that's a good approximation of an AR-15, with the closest allegory being the wildly expensive Light Machinegun (Coming in at a whopping 100,000 dollars, in the currently set-out conversion rate, more than many houses cost).

Furthermore, with the prices set out for shotguns, double-barreled and otherwise (6300 gold and 4500 gold respectively, with the discounts) they each cost nearly half a million dollars. Well above the price for a 6-pound artillery piece even.

I'm not trying to nitpick or be difficult or anything like that, and I understand that the conversion to dollars is more of an abstract, but nevertheless I do feel the need to point it out in case this kind of thing isn't an intended side effect.
__________________
She/her

Last edited by CMRawles; Jun 16th, 2021 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 03:11 PM
WreckedAll WreckedAll is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2021
RPXP: 150
WreckedAll WreckedAll
Posts: 60
I would have thought the crashed military truck would have plenty of weapons

Covid taught me one thing, Toilet Paper will be currency of the post apocalyptic realm.

Last edited by WreckedAll; Jun 16th, 2021 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 04:15 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckedAll View Post
what are the game effects for taking LSD?
LSDLSD
Price 1 SP; Weight -

Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), or acid as it’s commonly known, is a potent, long-lasting psychoactive drug. In part, it’s derived from a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.

Details

Type Ingested; Addiciton none

Effect
12 hours; -2 Perception checks; +2 Saves vs Fatigue or Exhaustion. 10% chance to experience Confusion for the entire duration.

Effect
After 12 hours, suffer Exhaustion.

Damage
1d2 Wis and 1d2 Int damage


Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRawles
The only thing that I have any specific concern about regarding this is that there's no option for modern style rifles, and the cost of those firearms available is way out of sync with the conversion rate currently set out:

The Mosin Nagant has a 10 round internal (IE, not detachable or replaceable, like modern rifles) magazine reloaded by stripper clips (IE, not a detachable box magazine, again, like modern rifles). It is also bolt-action rather than semi-automatic though that isn't really represented in the mechanics of the game so it's not so much an issue. It also costs (according to the conversion rate currently set out) an insane $50,000, compared to its real-life cost of about $200, more than the price of most new cars.

In other words, there's nothing that's a good approximation of an AR-15, with the closest allegory being the wildly expensive Light Machinegun (Coming in at a whopping 100,000 dollars, in the currently set-out conversion rate, more than many houses cost).

Furthermore, with the prices set out for shotguns, double-barreled and otherwise (6300 gold and 4500 gold respectively, with the discounts) they each cost nearly half a million dollars. Well above the price for a 6-pound artillery piece even.

I'm not trying to nitpick or be difficult or anything like that, and I understand that the conversion to dollars is more of an abstract, but nevertheless I do feel the need to point it out in case this kind of thing isn't an intended side effect.
I understand your concerns. Don't forget that the Guns Everywhere level of firearm prevalence means there is a 90% reduction in price. Your 5000 gp shotgun costs only 500 gp. Yes this is still 50k USD$ with the with the CP to USD$ conversion and the prices may seem ridiculous, but in the interest of game balance I will keep the prices as-is, 90% discount applying as per firearm prevalence.

If you wanted an AR-15 I would say we could modify the capacity of rifles or machine guns to reflect their actual capacity which seems to be 20, on average. I'd have no issue with that.

We can keep the damage, range, etc stats as is but I can negotiate on capacity and magazine type, etc to reflect the modern weapon you might want.
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron

Last edited by LeoByron; Jun 16th, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 04:16 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckedAll View Post
I would have thought the crashed military truck would have plenty of weapons
The truck is a personnel carrier so would not necessarily have extra weapons onboard. It was used to carry armed soldiers who exited the truck to man the makeshift bunker / fortified position.
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 04:21 PM
CMRawles's Avatar
CMRawles CMRawles is online now
Anarquista
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 291
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoByron View Post
I understand your concerns. Don't forget that the Guns Everywhere level of firearm prevalence means there is a 10% reduction in price. I understand that with the CP to USD$ conversion the prices become ridiculous, but in the interest of game balance I will keep the prices as-is, 10% discount applying as per firearm prevalence.

If you wanted an AR-15 I would say we could modify the capacity of rifles or machine guns to reflect their actual capacity which seems to be 20, on average. I'd have no issue with that.

We can keep the damage, range, etc stats as is but I can negotiate on capacity and magazine type, etc to reflect the modern weapon you might want.
Awesome! Yeah, that works. My only recommendation would be to amend shotguns to have the same sort of price range as the mosin nagant has, so that they aren't outside the purchasing power of an initial player and to better reflect their power relative to other weapons.
__________________
She/her

Last edited by CMRawles; Jun 16th, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 04:25 PM
LeoByron's Avatar
LeoByron LeoByron is online now
Wraith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 22971
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRawles View Post
Awesome! Yeah, that works. My only recommendation would be to amend shotguns to have the same sort of price range as the mosin nagant has, so that they aren't outside the purchasing power of an initial player and to better reflect their power relative to other weapons.
Yeah I made some edits in my above post. Technically, the price is already adjusted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns Everywhere
Guns Everywhere: Guns are commonplace. Early firearms are seen as antiques, and advanced firearms are widespread. Firearms are simple weapons, and early firearms, advanced guns, and their ammunition are bought or crafted for 10% of the cost listed in this chapter. The gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature and instead gains the gun training class feature at 1st level.
The shotgun costs 500 gp to the Light Machine Gun's 1,000 gp.
__________________
Apply to: Apocalypse Z - Chicago Edition!
"Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep,
And yet a third of life is passed in sleep."

- Lord Byron
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB