twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 138
Ninjato Ninjato
As a guy, I've played plenty of female characters. Sometimes it's just that the character concept works better that way, you know?
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
She's a genius.
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6023
Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha
Second session tonight of a GURPS Cthulhu-style game. I rolled up a twenty-something divorced guy who doesn't yet know his wife left him because of a cursed artifact he bought (he's an antiques dealer) that destroyed their love. Everyone's been great at referring to me as "him" or "he." I modeled my character's looks off of Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10108
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Hmmm I'm skeptical that a cursed Cthulhu artifact could make someone break up with Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Weaver of Worlds

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
*points to the text underneathe his name*

I'd say I'm roughly 50/50, or maybe 40/60 (in favour of women) when it comes to D&D, however most of the games I was in that lasted any real length of time happened to be playing female PCs, to the extent that several people got a bit confused and referred to me as a 'she' or 'her'. Hence why I changed the text. To be honest, I just create characters I find interesting, both as a PC and a DM, which sometimes means I start off thinking of a female/male character and other times means the gender choice is generally superficial. Sometimes I just come across a picture on DeviantArt and it gives me an idea for a character and, as I'm sure anyone else who browses DeviantArt can tell you, most of the pictures there are of women, especially when it comes to fantasy images.

As for the talk of lesbians and the like (why am I not surprised that came up?) the only time I've played a lesbian (or rather, lesbians) is as NPCs (specifically DMPCs that're helping out one of my parties), but they're of the 'kind of in the closet but most people can guess it' variety and I've got homosexual men and bi-sexuals of both genders about in the same campaign, they just haven't been revealed as such for various reasons (mostly that it's not relevant to the PCs).

~MTWC
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45
SlyBlu7
I've only ever played female characters when I was DMing - two separate campaigns that I ran featured a female protagonist that the PCs were trying to help. The first campaign had an NPC love-interest tied to the female so that my PCs wouldn't start hitting on her. The second time around, she was just there and they were fine with it.

I do like the comment a few pages back about players finding it difficult to cross the gender gap, yet find it so easy and acceptable to jump into a different race entirely. I think that this shows the common weakness of the players - they superimpose human notions onto non-human races. Most people can't RP a culture different than their own, so what makes them think that foreign races would have a similar culture? I typically play Drow characters - their background is compatible with my own (more on that later). Right now it's causing a bit of friction in my group, as some of the PCs think that my character is melodramatic or trying to be too much of a macho loner. Look into the background for the Drow though - they're a race of schemers and backstabbers, and they feel that they are superior to every other race in the world. Why would he want to be friends with anyone, let alone a member of an inferior species? Even though I know that my character isn't optimized, and that the PCs that he threatens could probably paste him in an instant, he still does it because he (as a Drow) is unwilling to accept that one of these "mere animals" could be better than him. It's not Mary-Sueing at all, it's RPing, I want to play that character because their psyche pleases me. If someone showed my character that he is NOT superior, and got him to accept that, I'd drop the act altogether. But you are asking him to overcome a racial prejudice that he's held for over 100 years, ingrained from birth. It's like try to change the opinions of the whites during the Civil Rights movement, except that you can't even appeal to the notion that we are all "of one species, together and equally".

I don't explore gender - I could care less about that. Rather, I explore the deeper parts of myself. How many of you have played evil characters? I mean truly, evil characters, the kind where you go home after a game feeling slightly disturbed by the things that you did. I like to explore those parts of my mind. It's the one thing that we can't ever do in the real world without hideous consequences. Like the Johnny Cash lyric - "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die". Through this kind of self-exploration I have come to terms with the fact that my past has made me who I am today, and who I am is horribly unbalanced, but not quite bad.
"The overman...Who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment." - Nietzsche
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM
She's a genius.
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6023
Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha
You raise an interesting point about superimposing "human notions onto non-human races" and players finding it "acceptable to jump into a different race entirely," SlyBlu. Race means something entirely different in fantasy gaming than it does in the real world (using our colloquial/anthropological definition of "race," not the scientific one). One thing I like about Pathfinder is that it presents different human cultures as playable races. "Humans" aren't presumed to be predominantly light-skinned; Chelaxians are, and Taldor, but Mwangi, Vudrani, and Kellids are dark-skinned, while Tians are Asian. I wonder how comfortable people are playing "different-raced humans" compared to interspecies roleplaying?

I played in a modern GURPS game a few years ago where I, a white adult woman, played a black teenage boy. I was playing with close friends and felt comfortable pretending to be someone I'm clearly not. In a more public setting with people I didn't know so well, I might not have risked playing a different "race." My friend, a white adult man, is playing an Asian woman in our latest campaign so obviously we're somewhat flexible about sex, gender, and race at our table.

I don't enjoy playing overly evil characters, but all my characters have a streak of nasty in them. I think faults add humanity (or elfanity, dwarfanity or what have you.)
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4706
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
Quote:
How many of you have played evil characters? I mean truly, evil characters, the kind where you go home after a game feeling slightly disturbed by the things that you did.
... true evil isn't actually all that disturbing.

It's as common as air, as universal as breathing, and has a bearing on the common history of us all.

So no, very little from any of my characters disturbs me. Not even the evil ones.
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

'Elfanity' and 'dwarfanity' sound suspiciously like 'profanity' - which I'm sure the dwarfs don't mind so much.

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
5th level Diplomancer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 180
elementalist elementalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Malaprop View Post

'Elfanity' and 'dwarfanity' sound suspiciously like 'profanity' - which I'm sure the dwarfs don't mind so much.
I bet the elves would mind. Particularly the high-strung glowy ones.

Its my experience that the role playing community as a whole is more excepting of playing the opposite gender. I've played as both genders without incident.

Though showing up dressed as your character might be a completely different story....

Last edited by elementalist; May 31st, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Peppermint Peppermint
While I have met DMs that require you to play a character of the same gender as you, I find that some of my favorite characters are male. Though I do think I play them slightly less realistically (based on what the guys I know have commented). The group of role players I went to college with commonly dressed up as their characters/went by their names, even when it was technically cross dressing. Yes, the rest of the college thought they were nuts, but they were also the most accepting group of people I know.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:33 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59
Doghouse
Tried once. Couldn't pull it off.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wily Old Gamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 248
Lemurion Lemurion Lemurion
I play both genders; sometimes a character conception only works for one gender. I've played straight and gay characters, and even a few whose sexual preferences were based on something other than gender. The thing I love most about roleplaying is the way it lets you stretch your mind - and the more different a character is from me, the further I can stretch things.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Vampire Cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19247
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
I've played just about everything under the sun - male, female, disturbingly evil, genuinely good, and some that were none of the above.

I once even played a gender-neutral Blink Dog.

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arucard View Post
I once even played a gender-neutral Blink Dog.
Is it odd that this made me think of Bip? It is, isn't it?

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”

Last edited by Mal Radagast; Jun 11th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 340
Ereshal Ereshal Ereshal Ereshal
My theory:

There are two kinds of roleplayers: those who approach roleplaying with the mindset of an actor, and those who approach it with the mindset of a writer.

Roleplayers who are "acting" tend to be less comfortable with the idea of playing across the gender line. Roleplayers who are "writing" tend to be more comfortable with it.

"Acting" and "writing" are poor choices of words as they imply a storytelling medium - I suppose what I really mean is that "acting" roleplayers approach a character from an interior perspective (personally identifying with the character and expressing themselves primarily through the character itself rather than the story as a whole), while "writing" roleplayers approach a character from an exterior perspective (expressing themselves primarily through the character's interactions with the story).

Perhaps an "actor-director" dichotomy would be more appropriate: an acting roleplayer tries to be the character, while a directing roleplayer tries to manipulate the character.