Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Roleplaying Experiences
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 9th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Something Witty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits
Little late coming to this conversation but I tend to agree with Roastbeef. As a Female player, who plays both male and female characters, I tend to avoid live sessions due to past experiences with male and sometimes female players. I was part of one group that constantly offered the guards, who they were in trouble with, sexual favors from the female characters... I did not stick around with that group very long.
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Munrab
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27402
RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab
I have heard horror stories about stuff like that with face-to-face groups, but I have only been in a few (mildly) creepy situations (which were easy to leave).

I've had far more interaction with creeps online than in face-to-face groups. I guess it is because we are super picky who we play with, and it is easier to stay away from creepy people in real life than it is online in the age of social media.
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 10:30 AM
All out of bubblegum.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2054
HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife HereticForLife
I roleplay across gender lines fairly often. In my experience, young girls and boys aren't inherently all that different, and even into adulthood most gender differences are socially shaped rather than inherent. So I generally throw stereotypes regarding each gender out the window when I play either gender, or subvert them intentionally. It makes for more interesting and novel characters overall, I feel.

Generally speaking, a character forms in my head like so: I decide on an interesting class I want to play based on the setting, I research the game setting or existing setting to find out what could work, I integrate the class into the setting... and then right about this time, the character's age, gender, most distinguishing personality traits, and backstory premise comes to me right at once. It's rare for me to make a conscious decision on character gender at this point.

Alas, I've had the luck of ending up with fairly good groups IRL. That being said, those were all run in comic stores so it's not like I ever played with shut-in creeps who never left the basement. The most that gender ever played into a game of mine was PCs flirting with one another, and even then players could generally separate themselves from their characters so as to keep it casual.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Something Witty

Tools
User Statistics
Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits Fredrits
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRab View Post
I have heard horror stories about stuff like that with face-to-face groups, but I have only been in a few (mildly) creepy situations (which were easy to leave).

I've had far more interaction with creeps online than in face-to-face groups. I guess it is because we are super picky who we play with, and it is easier to stay away from creepy people in real life than it is online in the age of social media.
The worst part of my group was I did know some of them. Three of them were people I called friend before that happened the GM being one of them and he was the worst of them all...
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Occasional madman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 529
pbbm pbbm pbbm pbbm pbbm pbbm
I'm not really a fan of playing across gender lines, because it makes me feel self-conscious in real-life games. My brother, however, is a Dungeons & Dragons clownfish when it comes to gender. He plays across gender lines like they're drawn in crayon, and has always done an excellent job of it.

When I tried to do it once though, in a real life setting, it just made me feel self-conscious; as though I was being judged for playing a female when I am in fact a male, something that was likely entirely in my head, but made me uncomfortable nonetheless, which is strange, because playing female characters as a DM has never bothered me.
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29851
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Interesting conversation!

I've had a couple of sideline chats about this, and made an interesting discovery or two. (it's an evolutionary process)

First - To Fred and Pseudo, my apologies if I have used incorrect pronouns. I presume I have, because I've chatted at you both and always jump to the conclusion everyone is male until I learn otherwise--and it just seems weird to ask, if only for the sake of the pronoun thing.

On the topic - I never tried playing a female character face-to-face, and I imagine that might be a bit weirder. I have a couple of female characters in PbP games here, and I'm enjoying it.

I do "feel" a bit different playing a female character. I tend (I think) to analyze my approach a bit more, perhaps a bit self-conscious that I would misrepresent femininity somehow, but it's been a fun challenge.

My favorite character experience to-date on rpgx is with a female character, and I'm doing a good bit of self-... reflection? It just so happens I'm evaluating a lot of my viewpoints, typical behaviors, etc. more so while writing for that character, and I think the fact she's a woman has something to do with it.

One "conclusion" a friend and I agreed on, pertaining to males playing females, is that we both feel a bit more license to meander in touchy-feely spaces -- emotion -- as though males (even fictitious ones) ought to govern their feelings. That in itself, I realize, is a bit of a stereotype, but the fact it even comes to mind is compelling to ponder.

Does anyone else feel like the opposite gender gives them more latitude to think/act differently in specific ways with a character?
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 867
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
I've only ever played males in PbP. There's no good reason why I've not tried to RP a female as a player other than the fact that I think I'd find it difficult to do. What is odd is that, and I think pbbm has already mentioned this too, I have no issues roleplaying a female asa a DM. That's not to say I won't try, just that I've not done so to date.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 654
SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon
I've realised that most of my characters that I'd call succesful on this site have actually been female. I'm male. *shrugs* That's not to say that I haven't played male characters, but their games just haven't lasted as long or been as fun. My best character is definitely female (and I think may have ended up lesbian, I could have sworn she was straight but she kinda took on her own life before the DM had to end the game because of their own issues, I wish that had kept going. It's not often you start suprising yourself with how your own creation acts) and my worst character is also female, although that was partly because she was meant to be a difficult character (trust issues, wounded emotions, etc) and that game never really got far off the ground enough for her to start being the complex character I'd put on her.

In a real life example, I've been told, by a girl, that I make a really good girl (we were doing some RP's to practice dealing with awkward situations) so make of that what you will.

I like the comment made earlier in the thread, that we have no issue with playing orcs, gryphons, sphinxs and golems, but we question playing an opposite gender.
Natural 1's: 15

Last edited by SolarDragon; Oct 22nd, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Something Witty

Tools
User Statistics
No need to apologize Verb. My username does appear to be fairly masculine, but its actually a play on part of my last name and my first and middle initial. I also tend to use masculine usernames on forums but so far this seems like a pretty safe place to let everyone know I'm a girl...

Also yes, playing the opposite gender has given me more latitude to explore different aspects of my own being, person, life... whatever you want to call it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Something Witty

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarDragon View Post
I like the comment made earlier in the thread, that we have no issue with playing orcs, gryphons, sphinxs and golems, but we question playing an opposite gender.
Just to comment on this. I think because as a society we place a big emphasis on gender roles and we have a norm as to how genders should act.

As a kid growing up I would catch a great deal of flak from my classmates because I was a Tomboy. I was bullied/teased frequently by the males and never really accepted by the females, most likely because I did not fit into what they perceived as acceptable behavior for my gender.

Hell I still don't... Go Me! I'm not feminine, I like to do manual labor on the weekends (projects around the house, mostly fixing plumbing, electrical, wood working...).

Anyway back to why we question playing opposite genders. I don't think its that we want to question it but we have been so instilled with an idea of how genders should act and what role they should play that doing something outside of that norm will elicit a response even if the person giving the response is thinking somewhere deep down that they don't care.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrits View Post
No need to apologize Verb. My username does appear to be fairly masculine, but its actually a play on part of my last name and my first and middle initial. I also tend to use masculine usernames on forums but so far this seems like a pretty safe place to let everyone know I'm a girl...

Also yes, playing the opposite gender has given me more latitude to explore different aspects of my own being, person, life... whatever you want to call it.
I do find that interesting, that crossing the line in role-play can open those different possibilities. Thanks, btw, Fred, and I think using an androgynous user name is prudent--though I also like to believe this community has a very low creeper-index, as online forums go!

(My guess is Theresa S. Fredrickson )
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrits View Post
Anyway back to why we question playing opposite genders. I don't think its that we want to question it but we have been so instilled with an idea of how genders should act and what role they should play that doing something outside of that norm will elicit a response even if the person giving the response is thinking somewhere deep down that they don't care.
Exactly! These gender roles, and the... what's the word, stigmas? that go with them, they are very embedded in us, that expectation of a typical reaction is almost instinctive.
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23434
Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq
My first soccer coach was a woman and everyone including her family called her Fred and of course there is this famous female Fred.

The closest I come to playing a female character so far is a male kitsune ranger whose human form is female. I really have only explore this side of my character in the application, but it is one of favourite pieces of writing I have done on the site so far.

I really should step out of my comfort zone and trying play a female character soon.
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 08:45 AM
Something Witty

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah Neqq geez... get with the times. Everyone's doing it man.

PEER PRESSURE!

Also I got really upset with the writers of Angel when Fred died...
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8278
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Quote:
First - To Fred and Pseudo, my apologies if I have used incorrect pronouns.
Echoing Fredrits: No need to apologize!