Notices

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaopsychochick
Heh yeah... I do have to admit, I didn't use the ingredients tied into the story as well as I could have and or should have oh well.. I still liked it, but I definitely could have used a bit more cohesion. Good luck Robison on the future rounds. ^^ Also, I am tired and need sleep now... Although I am saddened by my entry not winning.. Oh well, I will know now what to do for next years...

Though, not much information I think for me for actually improving DM style. Any comments for that? Pretty much what I got was use ingredients given more, and generally when creating adventure don't have those.
Loosing Sucks! I know there have been times when I thought I'd win but have lost.

The tournament helps DMs hone several important skills, including the ability to fashion interesting stories out of the unpredictable actions of PCs (mimicked in the tournament by the judge’s ingredient list), the ability to create memorable spectacles and characters, the flexibility to accommodate multiple paths into and through an adventure, and an exploration of the consequences and aftermaths of an adventure. In addition, several DMs have used Iron DM tournament entries in whole or in part in their own games.

The use of the different ingredients tests the flexibility and creativity of the GM- often, we are faced with numerous "twists" in the road due to PC actions and other unintended consequences. CPC, your entry was definitely memorable for me! And I think you definitely have what it takes to display your flexibility and ability to handle situations with creativity. I think that Beat Stick will find his way to one of my campaigns, with your permission of course!
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
On another note, I won't be around until later tonight. So the remaining round's judgements will be posted then.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Renegade (pod)Caster
Iron DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5051
RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi
Wow harsh is not a word I would use to describe what I just read. j/k I think that everything that was said about my adventure was more then justified. My main strategy for the next round will be to first proof read the hell out of that bitch. Second explain the little things better. attempts to provide chances for extra rewards and experience were poorly explained in the end they just looked like plot holes (The diplomats were one of them.)

Good fight CPC, you were a worthy opponent.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:38 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12183
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Nope, I don't live in Manhattan. MS is the state but my place is still small enough that it doesn't hold everything I own.

About the DMs gaining insight into their style and thus becoming better DMs, what should the judges include in their judgments that might facilitate that?
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Chaopsychochick
Yeah, I was actually realizing that I think I just needed to tie Tyrenious and Evictus in more... I probably would have when actually DMing, which I think was why I left it a bit open ended... Personal opinion is that the players should be able to do just about anything they want, and I absolutely love giving personality to monsters. Perhaps I did over use the giant thing, but I was too amused by it. *shrugs* Yeah... Still a little bit upset about the whole losing thing, oh well... I didn't do the best that I could, but I shouldn't get down about it.

Also, note to self... Don't enter a contest when you work all of that day and have plans all of that evening... But yeah, good job Robison.

Securis: Perhaps what would be good for that is commenting on some of the writing style. I think that is a HUGE part about what makes a good DM. Attention to important details, although that isn't as important in this since it is an overarching plan. Also, maybe CR balancing, treasure balancing, how standard is the plot hook, or how unique. Perhaps things that you would do different in the adventure, and just some other general ideas that aren't just who used which item better.

Last edited by Chaopsychochick; Dec 1st, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Heh, I hate the writer's block. Luckily, when DMing, I'm not the only one doing the thinking, but my players get to be creative too and I adapt to that. Plus, I'm only doing pre-published adventures at the moment... that might help, too... my homebrew game earlier on here totally crashed...
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5071
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
Maybe I should revise my opinion / thought. "Improving as a DM." Sounds like good little phrase doesn't it. But will this contest really improve someone as a DM. Probably not since a DM would have more than 24 hours to slap together an adventure. If they would have had more time, I would like to think that the DMs would fix all those holes and expand and detail things more. But then again, in stressful situations like this where you do have a time limit, sometimes shortcomings and the flaws become more apparent? Interesting...

Hurm... what does it say when a judge rambles...
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
I'll be honest. This judging thing isn't easy. I like a lot of the ideas I've read but what we're being asked to do is tear them apart. I think that the "improving" part will only come if the DM we analyze takes what is written in a reflective manner. Is what we're saying valid? Only in so far as it pertains to this contest. I'm no expert but I like to DM and I have a bag of tricks I carry around with me in my head so that when I have nothing to occupy my hands, I can exercise my mind. Pick up a trick from your competition, pick up advice from a judge, make a value judgment over it, keep it or toss it. I wish everyone good luck in future battles.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Dynomite! Dynomite!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37
Dinkleberg
Yeah, I'd have to agree with the judges that my entry was a little choppy. I just need to work harder on my adventures to make them better. Thanks for judging
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Snore!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
OneArmPirate
Boo. Good work, PB, but to be honest, after reading yours I thought I had won.

Yes, I made alot of NPCs. My current tabletop game is just like this, it's so confusing that we have no idea what's going on or who's on who's side, which leads to making snap decisions based on gut instinct and then worrying about how it will play out. It's the best campaign I've ever played in, and I tried to emulate that. I wanted to have alot going on.

Well, good luck on the next round PB.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
See the announcement before posting in the Kitchen Stadium threads.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PaintedBear
There's nothing wrong with being confident in your work. After reading yours, I thought it was going to be close but I would win. But, then again, we're both biased.

I enjoyed reading your adventure and I think it was a pretty good match up.

You know, though, if all the goons in Destiny of Heroes suddenly switch their attentions to my character, I'm calling shenanigans, right?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PaintedBear
With the private threads for the battles, do I still need to secret my post or are we doing honor system?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
We are doing the honor system but if you feel the need to use secret then go ahead.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Snore!

Tools
User Statistics
OneArmPirate
I didn't even get any RPXP. Boo.