twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 08:40 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Studio Audience (general OOC)

Herein lies the place for random discussions amongst those "contestants", or "poor fools"participating in, and "spectators", or "armchair judges"participating out of the 2012 Iron DM competition. Feel free to chat as you wish, however do not discuss the current rounds ingredients until the judges have posted for that round!

If you would like to contribute to the list of ingredients (with locations, creatures, objects, or other more abstract elements), you can post them in secret in this thread.

Round Zero is the place to express your interest. Note that unlike previous years, this is not a simple "Sign up Sheet", but the first step in the competition! The final competitors will be selected from there, so read the first post carefully, and follow the instructions. Make sure you read the rules, especially about not discussing current ingredients until judgements have been made

This year's main judges are:
  • Admin Chuck;
  • Embrodak;
  • EngrInAZ;
  • idilippy;
  • mad_gondsman;
  • RonarsCorruption;
  • Sakure; and
  • Squeak

Last edited by Chronicler; Nov 13th, 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: [*} -> [*]
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5071
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
Uh, hello! I resent being called "armchair judges". We here in the studio audience prefer the term "peanut gallery" thank you very much. (Jerk!) But really, thanks for running this.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Are we chocolate covered peanuts? If so, that would qualify us as being known as Goobers. Then we'd all be called goobers and there would be nothing we could do about it.

-GT
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Tools
User Statistics
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Haha Noted - so next year, "chocolate peanut gallery" should be an applicable term?

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Aged Cheddar
Newsletter Staff  

Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14960
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
Any distinction of system/edition? I can work with anything, just want to make sure I'm doin' it right.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Different judges may hold different systems dearer, but we are endeavouring to make this an equal-opportunity gaming competition throughout all rounds, and encouraging substance over mechanics So go with what you feel best, but if it is something really random, and bizarre mechanics overshadow the story, then that will probably come back to haunt you.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
3d6x6 in order

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1963
Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera
Yo yo yo, people. I'm up, giving a bit of fresh blood as an ingredient for the IC. I'll do my best to challenge the old guard.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20752
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
I might actually manage to do something about entering this year. Wooo!
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Aged Cheddar
Newsletter Staff  

Good People

Tools
User Statistics
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
Should the entry explain a little bit for those unfamiliar with the system, or should the entry just stand on its own?
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11767
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
If you were to include a mechanics check in your Round Zero post, does that count against your word count or is it like a further round where the mechanics don't count against it?
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
3d6x6 in order

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1963
Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera
I went with the assumption that any referee for this is familiar with 3.5/Pathfinder at least. And I've written mine as clearly as possible (I hope, considering the word count).

Last edited by Lazersetcetera; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36293
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Yes, if you're going to use a nonstandard system, then yes, you should include a mechanics blurb if it's relevant.

Even more so than in* later rounds, word count is important, so we will be making a call on the number of words you can include as part of your R0 entry in our private chambers, and get back to you.

*EDITED

Last edited by Admin RonarsCorruption; Oct 24th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Aged Cheddar
Newsletter Staff  

Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I know at least a couple of the judges are familiar with 4E, but I figured a little bit of explanation might help the others to understand where the power I'm working on really expands design space while introducing something new and interesting. I'll see if I can fit both the simplified power AND the explanation within the word count!
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36293
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Tenative ruling on mechanics:

You may have 100 'free' words to explain purely mechanical concepts that your item uses in your system. For instance, you may define an "At-Will Power" and a "Str vs Will" attack, so long as it is entirely rules, and so long as it is within 100 words. Items beyond that word count will be considered just like any other portion of the entry not following the rules.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonarsCorruption
Tenative ruling on mechanics:

You may have 100 'free' words to explain purely mechanical concepts that your item uses in your system. For instance, you may define an "At-Will Power" and a "Str vs Will" attack, so long as it is entirely rules, and so long as it is within 100 words. Items beyond that word count will be considered just like any other portion of the entry not following the rules.
This is what he said before adding the dreaded words... "But don't forget, no editing of your post is allowed."

I'm trying to decide if my schedule will allow me to compete this year. I'm mostly afraid that I'll hold out too long and the entry round will end without me making my own decision.

-GT

Last edited by Grogg Tree; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread