twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36293
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Of course you get to hang out here! This is an open area for anyone who wants to hang out and talk about the competition.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33507
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Sweet! I assume no talking about the game at hand though. That would make sense.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Psionic Cheerleader

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3306
Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz
I was sorely tempted to try again this year and that lovely personal message (just for me, surely) from Hugga clinched the deal.

Basically, I'm blaiming him for the eventual neglect of my wife and children during the competition, is what I'm saying.

Good luck, eveyone!
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36293
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Gath, that's right. Any comments about ingredients in a current round before the judges have posted on a round could result in you being kicked out of this thread, or if you're a competitor - disqualification.

Also, a clairification on "mechanics" versus wordcount. mechanics sections are exclusively restricted to existing rules that judges reviewing your entry might need to know. Things such as:

3.5e mechanicsA standard action is an action that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort, and can normally only be taken once a turn.

or
4e mechanicsAn encounter power is an ability that can be used one each encounter, and requires a short rest (five minute) to recharge.

or
anima mechanicsdamage is anima is calculated based on how much the attackers roll beats the defenders roll, multiplied by a weapon's base damage

or
GURPS mechanicscharacter points are typically given out once a session, and can be used at any time to improve a character
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Err, there might have been a misunderstanding on my part then.

Oh well, I went over the limit then.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvg3akaek View Post
The only reason to go over this limit is if you think the mechanics of the system needs further explanation. In this case, you have up to 100 words to use for your explanation. I suggest putting them in a fieldset at the start or end of your post.
Yup, definitely thought of the system meant of the item/power/npc, not the mechanics of the gaming system. It might be beneficial to be a bit more explicit in the future, like gaming system vs system.. I dunno.

Cheers.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Psionic Cheerleader

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3306
Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz
Well, good news is you have time to correct it; seeing as how the no editing rule isn't yet in effect.

I would hate to see any competitor at any stage of the contest knocked out for that small technicality.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I'm not going to risk breaking one rule for the sake of correcting a mistake based on a misinterpretation of another rule. I'll keep posted to see what the verdict is.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34646
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Speaking of, might as well ask this now- can we have some clarification on "Do not worry about stat blocks or other mechanical information", please?
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36915
Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck
You do not need to fully stat out any monsters or NPCs in the adventure that you write. Simply saying that Lord Bartlesby is a 5th level human expert with these key skills/feats (if any) that might be relevant to the adventure or pointing to the entry for chain devil in the Or a link to the SRD.Monster Manual (or whatever book is appropriate) is fine. If you cobble together a mix of monsters and class levels simply make it clear what they are, no full stat block necessary.

The point is we don't want you to have to use up your word count on mechanics that the DM running the game can look up.

Also not that I at least am going to be fairly stingy on the word count rule. I have competed in Iron DM previously and the word limit was something I stuck to religiously. I was peeved when I saw folks go waaaay beyond the limit and not get any points deducted for it. I do not speak for any other judges though, who may be more lenient than me on that aspect.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34646
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Thank you for the clarification, good Sir.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM
3d6x6 in order

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1963
Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera
Further question on the stat blocks - Does one need to link to stats or can we assume that DMs will look it up? Which of the following is the correct format?

Quote:
Humerus the Bone Devil casts Wall of Ice and hides behind it.
or

Quote:
Humerus the Bone Devil casts Wall of Ice and hides behind it.
... and now I'm definitely making Humerus as a bad guy.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Edited my submission. 248 words.

Also, I'm not sure about it but I kind of like to make things look pretty with the use of fieldsets and tables (even if tables are used for word blocks/paragraph formatting) but I am afraid that you guys will count the bbcode against my word limit instead of just the words on the page.

Can I get a ruling on this please?

Last edited by Gath; Oct 28th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
BBCode is ok, and not counted in the word count
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Great news!

- Thanks!