Game Thread Chapter 1: A Rude Awakening - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Traveller > [TRAVELER] In the Shadow of the Chthonian Star > Dark Ember
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 11:17 PM
ElderOblex's Avatar
ElderOblex ElderOblex is online now
E X • N O X • L U X
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Posts: 2,619
Tjurn
right-aligned image

"HRNG," Tjurn grunted as Steffa named the dog. Sweat began to drip from his forehead as his muscles strained with the effort of pushing. The sarcophagus lid refused to budge. After a few more attempts, the young man exhaled, suddenly tired.

"A good name, perhaps for me as well. This thing refuses to be moved." He turned to the red-haired woman.

"So. Climb a wall? Perhaps we can trace our steps back, see if we missed an exit."


OOCRolled a 3 for the strength check.
Is there a way to identify those areas? Like a map and check where we might have missed a path?

Stat Block
 
__________________
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Status: Wake me up when September ends :'(

Last edited by ElderOblex; Aug 8th, 2022 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 01:06 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

Steffa was still leading Kreine by the arm when Tjurn hobbled over to the sarcophagus and started pulling on the lid. "Hold up! Let's do it together," Steffa said, when the young man gave up. Gently urging Kreine into a corner, the tall woman approached the coffin. "Umm, were you pulling from the right side?" she mused. "On three. One... two... THREE!"

(If we failed)
"*sigh* Well, it was worth a try."


(Regardless of success)
"That way—" Steffa points to the low tunnel "—leads back to the main catacombs, the fountain, the river and the... the... hanging tree." An audible noise escaped the woman's throat as she tried to swallow past a lump. "I don't think I want to go that way. Not to the fountain, and not to the tree." She gestures toward the other corridor, a questioning look on her face. "What was through there again?"


oocNatch 20 on Strength check! But I'm fine if you decide to go with the first roll only.

 

Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:19 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 7,922
Back together again Tjurn and Steffa pulled at the lip of the stone sarcophagus. At first, it refused to budge, but after a few moments, it began to open with a grinding sound. The weight of the large slab of stone began to fall in Tjurn's direction, and at first it seemed he would be crushed, but Steffa stepped in and put her shoulder under it, lifting it up and away. The stone lid tipped in the opposite direction and broke into pieces as it slammed against the floor with a loud crash.

Inside the now open sarcophagus was a man’s odorless corpse in near perfect condition, wearing fine silk clothes. The skin is waxy and malleable like dough. Beyond that, there did not appear to be anything contained within.




OOC In Mork Borg, if multiple characters are rolling for the same task, only one person rolls and the DC is lowered based on how many are helping. In this case, it's fine that Steffa rolled.

Players are up.


__________________
Planned GM Updates: Grim Hollow: Wednesdays | Chthonian Star: Thursdays | Xoth: Tuesday/Friday | Dark Ember: Monday/Thursday | Coldest City: Monday
Applications Open: Blackguard
Status: out of town 9/22-9/30...posting will be limited
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 11:51 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

"Uhh... I think this was a mistake!" Steffa's head swivels back and forth between the waxy corpse and Tjurn as she shuffles away from the sarcophagus. When it appeared the corpse wasn't going to lunge out at them for disturbing its rest (at this point, Steffa wasn't going to rule ANYTHING out), the tall woman spoke to her companion in a low voice.

"That way—" she points to the low tunnel "—leads back to the main catacombs, the fountain, the river and the... the... hanging tree." An audible noise escaped the woman's throat as she tried to swallow past a lump. "I don't think I want to go that way. Not to the fountain, and not to the tree." She gestures toward the other corridor, a questioning look on her face. "What was through there again?"


ooc

 

Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 08:22 AM
ElderOblex's Avatar
ElderOblex ElderOblex is online now
E X • N O X • L U X
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Posts: 2,619
Tjurn
right-aligned image

"....... Indeed... " was all Tjurn could say as he recovered his breath and stared at the outcome of this idiotic idea. He examined the waxy man with suspicious eyes. Hope was like a strangled corpse in this graveyard; ever dangling, like rotting bait.

Tjurn backed away cautiously from the eerie dead body, one hand on his sword. The other sought Kreine's hand. His eyes remained on the body in the coffin, expecting it to rise and announce its murderous intent.

When Steffa spoke, Tjurn listened but kept his gaze on the sarcophagus. When it seemed safe to look away, he replied, "No idea, but it's as good a path as any. There is nothing for us here. "


OOCJust checking if there's something worth taking on the corpse:
Dice presence:
d20+3 (5)+3 Total = 8

Stat Block
 
__________________
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Status: Wake me up when September ends :'(
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:29 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

Confusion tugged at the edges of Steffa's mind when Tjurn said he wasn't sure what lay down the other tunnel. Did he and Kreine not come that way? Then again, in this labyrinth, it was easy to get turned around. Steffa skirted the walls of the room, conscious of the body that was now exposed from their foolish action, and made her way to the southern archway. Tjurn took a moment to examine the corpse before seizing Kreine by the hand and following behind.

A dull, clattering sound was heard before the trio exited the tunnel, and the tall woman still wasn't sure exactly what it was, even once she spotted the three skeletons sitting at the stone table. Realization struck her like a slap across the face when she saw that the skeletons were, in fact, making the noise. Bonehead issued a short growl, but for the moment remained obediently by the woman's side.

Steffa studied the odd scene for a while before asking, "Are they... talking? Do you think they'd understand us?" The question seemed absurd. No words escaped the skeleton's mouths because, obviously, they had no lips or tongues or lungs to produce sounds. But... they also had no muscles to move their jaws! Without ears, would they still be able to hear? Could they see without eyes? Steffa felt dizzy trying to rationalize these thoughts with the things she still "knew" about reality. But this world defied reason. It scoffed in the face of sanity, tempting the visitor to spiral down into the depths of madness. Damn this wretched existance, damn that demon-woman, and damn her stupid father! Damn these damn skeletons! With another glance at Tjurn, the woman's mouth twisted in an odd way: part uncertainty, part resignation, and part madness; then she slowly walked toward the table. " H... hello? Can you hear me?"


ooc

 


Last edited by Effete; Aug 15th, 2022 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 02:13 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 7,922
The Fogbound Skeletons When it had been determined that the corpse inside the sarcophagus was nothing more than that, Tjurn approached and performed a cursory search of the body. After a few moments, he stepped back, finding nothing of value.

Having no reason to linger, and with Steffa's strong objection to returning back to the catacombs and the direction she had come from, the group decided to venture back the way which Tjurn had arrived. It did not take long for them to arrive back at the room with the three skeletons sitting around the table containing the lock box.

As before, the Fogbound Skeletons speak with elongated tongues of mist, soundless save for the unmistakable clatter of tooth against tooth. One still waves an elaborate key-like dagger in a bony hand.

Steffa tries to communicate with them, but they appear to be oblivious to her attempts.




OOC In Mork Borg, if multiple characters are rolling for the same task, only one person rolls and the DC is lowered based on how many are helping. In this case, it's fine that Steffa rolled.

Players are up.


__________________
Planned GM Updates: Grim Hollow: Wednesdays | Chthonian Star: Thursdays | Xoth: Tuesday/Friday | Dark Ember: Monday/Thursday | Coldest City: Monday
Applications Open: Blackguard
Status: out of town 9/22-9/30...posting will be limited
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 12:21 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

When she gets no reaction from the skeletons, Steffa glances over her shoulder at Tjurn, a perplexed expression on her face. Slowly, cautiously, the tall redhead crept closer to the table, her eyes drawn to the lock box and key-dagger. She watched the skeletons for any furtive movements in her direction. Giving the dagger-weilding skeleton a wider berth, Steffa reached out a hand toward the lock box, prepared to pull back if danger was imminent. Otherwise, she grasped the box and slid it closer to her edge of the table.


ooc

 


Last edited by Effete; Aug 24th, 2022 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 06:53 PM
ElderOblex's Avatar
ElderOblex ElderOblex is online now
E X • N O X • L U X
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Posts: 2,619
Tjurn
right-aligned image

Steffa speaking to the skeletons made Tjurn uneasy, and all the more when she started pulling that strange box across the table towards her. He gripped Kreine's sword - his sword, now - with two hands and strode towards the sitting undead, placing himself behind the one holding the dagger. He would strike if they start to move or act hostile, which to him was simply a matter of time.


OOCReady an attack against dagger skeleton

Stat Block
 
__________________
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Status: Wake me up when September ends :'(
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 04:27 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 7,922
The Fogbound Skeletons Steffa crept closer to the lock box on the table, but none of the strange skeletons seemed to notice, instead continuing their odd 'conversation' with one another. As her hand touches the box however, all three of their heads snap in her direction and their chattering stops.

Tjurn stood poised beside the skeleton wielding the key-shaped dagger, waiting for the inevitable when the undead became violent.

As the three skeletons stopped their chattering and turned toward Steffa, that was more excuse than enough to begin the assault.




OOC As the players are obviously prepared for this combat, I will dispense with initiative, and allow them to act first. I need everyone attacking (Steffa rolls for the dog) to make an attack (DC12 Str check) vs the skeletons. On a hit, roll for dmg.

Players are up.


__________________
Planned GM Updates: Grim Hollow: Wednesdays | Chthonian Star: Thursdays | Xoth: Tuesday/Friday | Dark Ember: Monday/Thursday | Coldest City: Monday
Applications Open: Blackguard
Status: out of town 9/22-9/30...posting will be limited
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 03:52 AM
ElderOblex's Avatar
ElderOblex ElderOblex is online now
E X • N O X • L U X
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Posts: 2,619
Tjurn
right-aligned image

Prepared as he was for the skeletons' response, Tjurn's obvious lack of skill with a blade made his strike fall far short of a killing blow. If one could deal killing blows to already dead things, that is. He struck the animated bones again, then turned to Kreine.

"If you're in there, woman, save yourself. Be ready to run! "


OOCHit with a 19, 1 damage lol ; hit again with another 19, this time 6 damage!

Stat Block
 
__________________
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Status: Wake me up when September ends :'(

Last edited by ElderOblex; Aug 24th, 2022 at 06:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 03:20 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

As soon as Steffa's hand touched the top of the box, all three skeletons turned to look at her, the eyeless pits in their faces radiating malice. She pulled her hand back and shuffled a couple steps away, her eyes briefly meeting Tjurn's as he waited crouched behind one of the skeletons. Suddenly he lashed out, striking rapidly with the sword Kreine had found. Spurred on by the man's action, Steffa hefted the dry shovel handle she used as a staff and swung wildly. However, it caught the edge of the stone table and splintered in two, the vibration rocking her hands. As if on instinct, Bonehead leapt forward with a growl and seized one of the skeletons by the leg.


oocSteffa botched her attack roll. Bonehead got a 15 for 3 damage.

 


Last edited by Effete; Aug 26th, 2022 at 03:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 7,922
The Fogbound Skeletons
As the skeletons began to rise from the positions seated around the table, Tjurn hacked wildly at the skeleton wielding the key-shaped dagger. His weapon glanced off its shoulder. As it turned to him, Tjurn's weapon was already swinging, this time striking the skeleton in the chest with such force that he cleanly sliced through it, sending broken bones skittering across the floor.

Steffa's attack missed entirely, and only succeeded in breaking her makeshift staff, rendering it useless. Her canine companion also joined the fray and managed to pull one of the skeleton's bones off of its leg, causing it to stumble.

The skeleton being attacked by the dog, looked down at it with a hateful glare before raising one of its bony feet and attempting to stomp it.

The other skeleton made its way around the table and approached Kreine. She slowly turned in its direction, but did little else to avoid the looming undead, giving it ample time to
Dice Agility Check for Kreine:
d20sch12 6
d4 2
swing its weapon at her. Despite this, it still managed to miss the young woman, and its weapon made of condensed fog swung harmless through the air.



OOC Tjurn has killed one of the skeletons. Bonehead hits skeleton 2 for 3 dmg.

Bonehead needs to roll for defense (DC12 Agility Check) or suffer d4 dmg.

Players are up.


__________________
Planned GM Updates: Grim Hollow: Wednesdays | Chthonian Star: Thursdays | Xoth: Tuesday/Friday | Dark Ember: Monday/Thursday | Coldest City: Monday
Applications Open: Blackguard
Status: out of town 9/22-9/30...posting will be limited

Last edited by Silent Rain; Aug 26th, 2022 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 09:33 PM
ElderOblex's Avatar
ElderOblex ElderOblex is online now
E X • N O X • L U X
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Posts: 2,619
Tjurn
right-aligned image

Surprise at hacking bones of the walking dead turned to battle-fervor inside Tjurn. He momentarilly ignored how strange this whole event was, skeletons trying to kill them, wielding nothing but fog.

When one turned to strike at Kreine, Tjurn turned feral.

"NO!"

Tjurn roared as he whipped Kreine's sword toward her attacker. His desperate move made him overreach, however, almost hitting Kreine herself.

"KREINE! SNAP OUT OF IT, *****!"


OOCmissed this time

Stat Block
 
__________________
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Status: Wake me up when September ends :'(

Last edited by ElderOblex; Aug 26th, 2022 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 10:02 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2022
RPXP: 1768
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 942
Steffa
right-aligned image

Steffa shook her hands and worked her fingers to relieve the numbness from them. The dry-rotted handle would have broke eventually, but now was the worse time. Bonehead tugged aggressively at the leg of one of the fogbound skeletons as it attempted to reach Steffa. The undead creature tried to stomp the little dog, but at that moment the bone popped out at the knee, causing the undead creature to stumble and miss.

In a wild fit of desperation, Steffa reached down and pulled the leg-bone from the dog's mouth and swung at her attacker, but she was off balance and the attack went wide. Bonehead attempted to seize the skeleton's other leg, but failed to connect with all the hectic confusion going on.


oocBonehead avoids harm with 19. Steffa missed with a 7. Bonehead missed with a 10.
P.S. - If Kreine's Defense failed, would the attack hit?

 


Last edited by Effete; Aug 26th, 2022 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB