RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Dungeon Dive: All Applicant's Accepted - 14,000 Posts and Counting!

Game NameDungeon Dive: A Fast Paced, Combat Centric, Player Driven Campaign
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeCombat, Dungeon Diving
FlavourGritty Realism
Plot SummaryUp Front:
Inspired by the brilliance that is The City of Endless Arenas, I have decided to craft a campaign in a similar mold. In Dungeon Dive, you will assume the role of an unknown aspiring adventurer with only three goals in mind: getting stronger, getting richer and gaining notoriety. You aren't like your brothers/father/friends, after all - working yourself to death in the mines is not the life you dreamed about in your youth! You'll become a great adventurer one day... or die trying. The path of least resistance to such ends? Exploring - and perhaps one day conquering - one (or all) of the 'Dungeons'.

About My DM Style:
This will be my second stint as a DM. My first stint is still ongoing: Fast Paced, Combat Centric, Homebrew Settings (FPCCHS) - and going strong, having just broken the 7K post mark in just over 5 months of game time (Yes, that's a ~45 post/day posting rate... I'll get into this later, but if you were hoping for a 1 post/week kind of game then you can stop now and save yourself some reading). I am someone that - first and foremost - enjoys the combat side of DnD. That doesn't mean I completely eschew story and roleplaying, but its not what I enjoy most. After all, we're playing Dungeons and Dragons, right? Flashbacks and flowery speeches are great and all, but if they aren't culminating with an orc's head getting chopped off then what is the point? Besides, roleplaying ends up being much more "real" when it is organic responses to situations as opposed to when its carefully crafted, but ultimately divorced from circumstance. My deference towards battle; therefore, means that I end up making very challenging fights. To give you a rough idea, for FPCCHS I don't use the DMG guide for fight creation because the suicide level, imho, is far too easy. I often re-flavor MM entries (or create unique enemies) as well. And though the group there has had their fair share of knock-outs (boss battles often end with half the party down and the other half really drained), we're now (I'd estimate) 30 fights in with only 1 PC perma-death (caused by a PC wizard's fireball - not even me!). Part of the low perma-death count, though, is a desire to keep the storyline moving in that game. In this game, I expect death to be more frequent - especially if a low lvl group happens to stumble into somewhere they shouldn't!

About the Game:
As the title suggests, this is going to be a campaign that focuses heavily on combat. Essentially, the Dungeons are each a series of progressively more challenging floors that your PCs will need to explore and fight through. I'm not going to sugar coat it, compared to some games the story in this one is probably going to seem lacking. This is by choice. I am already feverishly writing storyline to keep one step ahead of my aforementioned ~45 posts/day homebrew campaign so I just don't have the bandwidth to do a second version of that. As such, what you see is what you get here in terms of overall narrative: You're dungeon diving. That's it. Presumably you'll meet/find some stuff in the dungeon (enemies or otherwise) that will create some fun pseudo-story elements and you'll certainly have ample roleplaying opportunity amongst your companions, but if you're hoping for some really well put together narrative to weave intricate PC backgrounds through and such then this isn't that - that's my other game. In a way, that is kind of realistic, no? Odds are considerably higher that an aspiring adventurer eventually ends up with their head hanging on a low level kobold's wall than that he unravels the mysteries of the universe, after all.

That is partly where the "player driven" content comes in. In this game I am attempting to try and re-create a type of MMORPG feel. There are no set groups - only relationships forged between PCs. There will be a central "hub" (the town outside the dungeon - where you can buy/craft items, etc.) where you will be able to try and find other adventurers to join up with you on any given excursion you attempt to undertake (of course, you can always choose to go in by yourself if you like!). An excursion being defined as the amount of time you're willing to stay in the dungeon. [Note: you'll be able to short rest (with the associated risks that come with it) while inside the dungeon, but not long rest (since it'd be sure death)]. So, it is very likely that an early excursion might end after 1 or 2 rooms being explored, the group deciding that they're too beat up to continue and heading back out for a rest. After that latest excursion is done, you can then try to find a new group - or stick with the one you were with if you feel they had a good thing going.

It is also important to note that there won't be any DM intervention throughout the campaign as it pertains to party interaction. What do I mean by this? Well, just like in MMORPGs (at least old ones - like Everquest) that means that individuals can choose to leave their group in the lurch and slip away if they don't like them/don't think they're doing well. PCs can also be "evil" in the sense that they can refuse to share loot, refuse to share information about areas (ie. perhaps a rogue scouting leaves out the part about the chest filled with gold so that he can come back and claim it for himself later) or even resort to PVP to attempt to rob the party. Though, obviously, overtly bad actions such as that will have ramifications on any future aspirations inside the game that this PC might have (word travels fast!). Also, since the decision of what floor of what dungeon to go to is up to individuals/groups, it is feasible that there may be multiple groups in the same Dungeon on the same floor at the same time. The game threads will be set up with one per "group" with none of the other groups knowing where the others are on the map - so, if that situation occurs, I will cross post between threads. Of course, keeping with the theme, the interaction between parties when it occurs is completely up to you all. Do you want to join up into one super group (sacrificing exp and loot for safety)? Or maybe you have a friendly (or not so friendly) conflict over who is stepping on whose turf? For each dungeon, once the boss of a particular floor is cleared, an announcement will be made on who took him out (followed by some celebrations held for the conquering heroes back in town) and then the next level will be opened for exploration.

Be warned as you are forming groups and setting off. This adventure is *meant* to be perilous. Traps and monsters are just as plentiful as rewards - and battles won't be scaled down if 3 lvl 1s stumble into a fight tuned for 4 lvl 2s. I fully expect some highly under-utilized spells (like longstrider) to become staples in party makeups as getting away from a no-win situation becomes an important gameplay mechanic. Additionally, enemy encounters (other than pre-planned big fights) will be randomized (based on how far the party has gone), so be wary of how far you delve on an individual expedition because getting back out to rest might prove even more difficult than diving in did!

About Player Characters:
I don't expect everyone to post as feverishly as I do, but in general if you're unable to post at least once per day then this might not be for you.

For character creation:
-PCs will start at lvl 1.
-It is a standard 27 point buy.
-All PHB, SCAG and EE material is available to choose from.
-All Unearthed Arcana sub-classes and races are available to choose from (note: this means no UA unique classes - like artificer and mystic).
-You start with 50 gp to spend as you please, but nothing else (ie. no background/class equipment).
-Multi-classing on level up is allowed.
-Please find a spot in your sheet to itemize both EXP and Currency.

In this thread, when declaring interest, please provide the following:
-Race, class, background, etc.
-A link to your completed character sheet.
-What about this game concept appeals to you?
-Is there anything about this game concept that doesn't necessarily appeal to you?
-Any questions you might have?
-Experience with 5e.
-Expected post rate.

Last edited by Agrudez; 10-03-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1647
Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox Sockfox
Um a slight suggestion, I would reccomend you keep in the classes starting gold instead of 50 gold, otherwise you cripple everyone that needs armor and weapons, eg: Most heavy armor to medium armor costs 50 gold as it is, without a weapon.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockfox View Post
Um a slight suggestion, I would reccomend you keep in the classes starting gold instead of 50 gold, otherwise you cripple everyone that needs armor and weapons, eg: Most heavy armor to medium armor costs 50 gold as it is, without a weapon.
Ringmail + Shield + Flail is 50 gp.
Leather/Hide + Shortbow + Shortsword + Dagger is 47 gp.
Etc.

Last edited by Agrudez; 05-31-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5972
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Just came here to put in a plug for Agrudez' game. As a player in his other game, I can vouch for his ad as described. If you want a fast-paced PbP game with a dedicated DM, you'll find it herein. You might die. Horribly. But still. Do it anyway!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3157
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Vikno Teching
Human (variant - Polearm Master)
Barbarian (some Fighter to come)
Uthgardt Tribe Member
sheet

What appeals: High posting rate! - I'm champing at the bit in my games here. I’m also interested in the combat focus as part of my mix of games. Those two together probably mean faster character progression, and I’d like to develop a character in less than a decade of real life.
What doesn’t appeal: Hmm. I’ve played a lot of Hero, and I wonder if D&D is rich enough for a combat focus. On the other hand, I’m a little worried about people taking this kind of game too seriously, a la the stereotypes about League of Legends (which I haven’t played).
Lots of questions:
1) Any ballpark on how quickly, in RL time, we will level up? - I'm still new to PbP here.
2) Experience will be given to each member of a party for each fight won? - just making sure support characters are still playable.
3) What will be the cost of frequent breaks for long rests? I.e., what's to stop us from posting "We leave and long rest" and then immediately "We return."
4) Is there anything stopping players from PMing important info, say about traitorous characters? Is there an honor system, something stronger, no prohibition at all...?
5) Can we expect that magic weapons and armor of every type will eventually be available, or will more traditional types be much more common? - I'm trying to determine whether a character might be significantly limited by specializing in particular weapon and armor types.
6) Are my questions sufficiently power-gamer-y? ( :
Experience with 5e: I’ve been playing on this site for…a few months, I guess? I’ve messed around a fair amount on my own as well, so I feel pretty comfortable.
Post rate: One to several times per day, faster in combat and slower out. I work for myself and I don’t sleep all that well. ( :

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vikno.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	73262  

Last edited by secretID; 06-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Nesskan
-Race: dragonborn
class: warlock(fiend)
background urchin
link
Pro: quick game with little roleplay thinking required.
Con: having to try and find a group though this really isn't that bad.
-Any questions you might have? when can i start
-Experience with 5e. lots from games on this site and videos
1/day-1/3days depends on how crazy rl is at the moment.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 116
TheFreakke TheFreakke
Vulgaris

- Gnome, Barbarian, Outlander
- https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=69508
- Its a good old fashion Dungeon Delve. What's not to love?
- Nah we're good.
- Will we have a chance to roll up new characters if our character's bite the dust and aren't liable to be revived?
- A couple games. Dulnra the Falicronian, Barbarion Human (based on Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 80's/90's. Was high body low mind by a lot). And I played a Book bearing Warlock that wound up being pretty Lovecraftian.
- I can match whats given. Frequent to at least twice a week
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID View Post
1)Any ballpark on how quickly, in RL time, we will level up? - I'm still new to PbP here.
That depends mostly on how successful the group is. We'll be running an exp based progression, so if you end up with a really efficient group of 3 that is plowing through enemies with quick post times I could see you hitting lvl 2 really fast. If you end up in a group that has to keep running to survive or a really bloated party size (since exp gets split evenly) or a group with a slower post rate then lvling will be slower for you.

Quote:
2) Experience will be given to each member of a party for each fight won? - just making sure support characters are still playable.
Yes, it's just a straight down the middle split for those whom participated in the battle.

Quote:
3) What will be the cost of frequent breaks for long rests? I.e., what's to stop us from posting "We leave and long rest" and then immediately "We return."
You'll never get far into the dungeon to find the rewards within. Treasures will be guarded by static enemies and the bosses/mini-bosses for each floor will be static, too, but all other battles will be random encounters (that is, I'll roll to see if you get attacked/by what) so a floor can never be truly clear. As such, if you go in and fight 2 battles then decide you need to head back out then you're basically starting back at 0 when you head back in. You still get exp, of course, but that's about it.

Quote:
4) Is there anything stopping players from PMing important info, say about traitorous characters? Is there an honor system, something stronger, no prohibition at all...?
Like I said, I won't be intervening. If you are suspicious of a member of your party then I suggest you share your distrust with the rest of the party (ie. [.secret=party member name]whisper whisper[/.secret]) and try to come up with a contingency plan.

[QUOTE=secretID;7535745]5) Can we expect that magic weapons and armor of every type will eventually be available, or will more traditional types be much more common? - I'm trying to determine whether a character might be significantly limited by specializing in particular weapon and armor types.

The town will have both normal and magical item shops - the latter with DMG and homebrew content - for you to spend your gold on. In that vein, specialization won't matter since you can choose what you buy. Items in the dungeon itself will be randomized so you feasibly could get unlucky and have nothing but +1 rapiers drop in a party full of warriors and mages, but you can always sell them, at least.

Quote:
6) Are my questions sufficiently power-gamer-y? ( :
Bring on the power-gaming and min/maxing! The monsters aren't going to take it easy on you - it's only natural that you return the favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreakke View Post
- Will we have a chance to roll up new characters if our character's bite the dust and aren't liable to be revived?
Absolutely!

Last edited by Agrudez; 05-31-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:16 PM
Always Refreshing!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2002
Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon Kjelldon
Aldo Blackbutter

Placeholder to express interest! Sounds great! I have more bandwidth than I am currently using and really like the sound of your game. I check my email every 5 minutes for new posts if that's rabid enough for the pace of the campaign, lol. I also believe RP is what you make of it, and you don't need 5000 word flashback scenes to have great, memorable interactions.

Qs:
1) Variant human race OK (the Feat kind, of course).
2) Only PHB/SCAG/EE races will be considered? No PSZ/UA/Volo?
3) To what degree are the "dungeons" going to have traditional D&D flair like traps and puzzles? Are they more like a string of battles with fewer soft skills needed?

APPLICATION INFO (WIP)
- Halfling Rogue
- Party role: Scout, thief sh*t, ranged damage, chicanery. I think roid raging and explosions are probably already covered.
- Character sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=69527
- What about this game concept appeals to you?
Expected speed of game, DM's writing style is aces, back-to-basics gameplay, back-to-basics danger level
- Is there anything about this game concept that doesn't necessarily appeal to you?
Hopefully players don't play too much like an MMORPG, zerging monsters automatically without thinking of any noncombat gameplay options. That would get boring. From the sounds of it, that would lead to party wipes though.
- Any questions you might have? Answered already I think.
- Playing in 2 other online 5e campaigns. Relatively new to 5e. Don't know enough to be a min-maxer yet.
- Expected post rate? Daily plus!

Character
Aldo Blackbutter
Lightfoot Halfling Rogue

BACKGROUND: Faction Agent (SCAG)

STORY: The Blackbutters are an infamous halfling crime family with connections in thieves’ guilds and black markets across the kingdom. Aldo was born into this shadow organization, but relegated to an administrative role because of his bookish nature and sharp mind. He has served on the mercantile end of the business for twenty years, cataloguing and facilitating the illegal trade of magical artifacts. When the family started selling powerful enchanted weapons to goblinoids intent on death and destruction, Aldo had enough. He requested a leave of absence, packed his bag and set off in search of the most dangerous, exciting, trouble-filled town in the realm.

PERSONALITY: Aldo is a repressed rogue. He has crime in his Blackbutter blood, and a lifetime of training and practice to rely on. For too long, his organization has kept him cooped up in moldy warehouses doing inventory and paperwork, researching the magical properties of black market goods. He actually has little appetite for picking pockets or robbing ordinary citizens. He is aware of the evil forces in the world from his arcane studies and prefers to put his skills to use rooting them out. He has a voracious curiosity, especially for the magical realm, and wants desperately to expand his knowledge and experience. Having grown up privileged, he has a major aversion to dirt, stench, and anything that crawls. He also has platinum tastes on a copper budget and seeks the best of everything in life. He is overall cheerful, amiable, helpful and just a touch cocky.

APPEARANCE: Aldo is a well-groomed halfling of average height, 3’ 2”, with blond hair, thin moustache and soul patch. He wears aristocratic-looking black silks and furs including a black fox hood and shawl. His bulky clothing obscures his profile and makes him appear more stout than he really is. He smiles often and has honest-looking blue eyes. He carries himself with confidence and pride.

PERSONALITY TRAIT: I am insatiably curious and willing to risk life and limb to experience new things.
IDEAL: If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Evil is everywhere and needs to be found and extinguished.
BOND: I am both grateful to and beholden to my family and thieves’ guild for making me who I am, though I do not always agree with their methods.
FLAW: I am acquisitive. I always want more. I am vain. I want to be a legend.

Last edited by Kjelldon; 06-02-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Final Application
Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelldon View Post
1) Variant human race OK (the Feat kind, of course).
Yep - my personal go-to.

Quote:
2) Only PHB/SCAG/EE races will be considered? No PSZ/UA/Volo?
UA races (changeling, shapeshifter, etc.) are allowed, but no to the other two.

Quote:
3) To what degree are the "dungeons" going to have traditional D&D flair like traps and puzzles? Are they more like a string of battles with fewer soft skills needed?
It's more than just a string of battles. When you first enter a new dungeon/floor of a dungeon, you'll be placed on an unlabeled map and left to your whims. Exploring (ie. traditional "scout" skills like stealth, perception, investigation, etc.) will play a big part. Traps will be present (perception/investigation), things will be able to be divined about upcoming enemies/events (survival on some tracks, arcane on a weird magical mist, etc.) and you might even run into some situations for the "face" to talk your way out of (persuasion, intimidation, etc.). Long story shot: skill monkeys will have value.

Last edited by Agrudez; 05-31-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1458
Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos
So someone has finally created SAO for 5e and now my fault is this Ag can people from the first Fast Paced apply here?

Are you a Pathfinder GM? Join the team at Eternity's End
Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Dovie'andi se tovya sagai

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 103
FriarVaos FriarVaos
I am definitely putting my name in for consideration. I've been looking for a good solid game with a constant flow of action.

1) For a game like this I will want to go with the core of my rpg style and go with my all time favorite. Elf/Wizard and when the time comes going blademaster arcane tradition. I'm not saying I gave every aspect of it min/maxed but it's what I enjoy playing and I can handle myself very well with it. I'll also take the urchin background.
2) Character sheet to come.
3) My party Role will most likely be ranged battlefield control but if things get up front and personal I'll be able to hold my own.
4) Nothing in the description really stands out to me that I wouldn't like. It doesn't sound like a standard pbp but I don't consider that bad. I'm eager to dive in.
6) I've been playing d&d for a long time. I did have a break between 2nd and 4th edition but now I'm deep into 5e. I play in a couple monthly groups in person and I'm in a few pbp.
7) I have a desk job and play from my phone. To keep it easy and quick I use OneNote to store all my different attacks and stat blocks for quick and easy copy/paste. I can easily do multiple posts a day without breaking a sweat.
5) When do we start? How many players are you taking?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1458
Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos
As the only one to perma death that was mostly because Ag and me agreed it was a good way to have him leave.

Are you a Pathfinder GM? Join the team at Eternity's End
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 AM
The Gingerbread Man.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2542
Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene Zubene
Ellias Soren
left-aligned image

Ellias Soren
Dark Elf (Drow) Bard

Character Sheet

Background: Urchin
Class: Bard + Warlock MC
Role: Arcane Support & Healing

What about this game concept appeals to you?
I'm looking for a combat-centric game to balance all my other games, especially since the typical pbp game runs really slow.

Is there anything about this game concept that doesn't necessarily appeal to you?
The 'evil' characters and pvp aspect of the game is a concern. But I guess that depends on the other players, not the DM.

Experience with 5e
I've been playing 5e exclusively on this site for about a year.

Expected post rate.
Several, daily. Less on weekends.

Last edited by Zubene; 06-01-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5556
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
Sethe
left-aligned image

Sethe
Tiefling Warlock

Character Sheet

Background Archetype: Sailor
Trait: "To me, a tavern brawl is a nice way to get to know a new city."
Ideal: "I'm committed to my crewmates, not to ideals."
Bond: "Ruthless pirates murdered my captain and crewmates, plundered our ship, and left me to die. Vengeance will be mine."
Flaw: "Once someone questions my courage, I never back down no matter what."
Background:

What about this game concept appeals to you?
I like games that feel like they have an open party structure so that group formation feels less arbitrary.

Is there anything about this game concept that doesn't necessarily appeal to you?
Sometimes it can be hard to have a sense of relative positions without visual aids in pure dungeon crawls.

Experience with 5e
I've played a lot of 3.5 pathfinder, but when I accidentally picked up the 4th edition book instead of the 5th edition book to make this character it took me over 20 minutes to realize I was looking at the wrong edition. But on the whole 5th edition is pretty close to 3.5 it seems.

Expected post rate.
I have averaged 3.3 posts daily since 2011.

Last edited by Krazy; 06-01-2017 at 09:45 AM.