RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1655
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Interested to see how this plays out. I think I have an old 1st edition in storage that I should be able to retrieve over Christmas. I'd be interested in checking out the world again as well as the playtesting process.

------------

Have you ever played Earthdawn before? Once. I think it was first edition. We (meaning I) sprung for a copy when it first came out because our go-to was Shadowrun and Dark Sun D&D. Earthdawn looked cool, but there wasn't a ton of interest among the group to keep something going long-term.

Have you ever play-tested a system before? Not per se, but in the early days of AD&D, GURPS, and early clunky systems, we spent a lot of time testing and creating house rules and adapting systems.

Do you come here often? Yup. I check and post to several games daily. Also set instant email notifications on any active games or threads I'm involved with.

Do you post from a PC or from a Tablet? Generally from a laptop. Less frequently from my phone. Usually able to have multiple windows/tabs open at a time.

Do you know how to add extra rolls into a dice roll that's already been done? No. But if it's possible I can learn. If this is in relation to the question about steps above, I'd think the editing feature in posts to allow transparency through the post would work well as suggested by @Ericg1s.

If you are not chosen, would you still be willing to be placed into a 'waiting list' so if a current play-tester decides to leave, or just suddenly disappears, can I just shoot you a message and bring you over? Sure

What's better? Elves or Dwarves? Why? Depends. In (most) fantasy roleplay dwarves - stout, grumpy, awesome facial hair. Oh! and oh yeah - axes and hammers. In any system that allows Caganesti or Wild Elves, I kind of have to go in that direction - apparently this subrace has been relegated to the annals of homebrew and myth, but when they came out in one of the early Forgotten Realms supplements, they were dope. They offered a cool version of elves. And finally, in some circumstances, elves, because they tried gnomes and trolls, but...

Describe a nightmare you've had. Only one that I really remember is a recurring one of my brother being caught in quicksand on a remote building site and me not being able to dig him out. It's a replay of an actual thing that happened when we were kids, except IRL I was able to get him out and get him to a hospital for hypothermia.

Tell me three traits about a favorite teacher you've had (past or present). honest, critical, fair, curious (had to go with four)

You're on a deserted island with five of your best friends, you've managed to make contact with the mainland via satellite phone, and help will be there in three days. What do you do while you wait to be rescued? ((assume you have adequate food and drink for survival)) talk, explore. depending on the size of the island and conditions, probably try and body surf or something.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3358
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I uhh, just realized that I've never written an actual application for this... lets get to that then

ApplicationHave you ever played Earthdawn before? Nope

Have you ever play-tested a system before? About as much as I've played earthdawn

Do you come here often? No, not in a creepy way, I mean do you check the boards daily? I usually check up on the site more than 20 times a day, though that's from my mobile and I'm not gonna post from there (well, I do do short OOC comments from my phone) I should still be able to maintain a 1 or 2/week posting rate

Do you post from a PC or from a Tablet? Are you able to have multiple windows on your browser open at the same time? Usually PC, though see the previous question

Do you know how to add extra rolls into a dice roll that's already been done? Nope, but tell me how and I'll know...

If you are not chosen, would you still be willing to be placed into a 'waiting list' so if a current play-tester decides to leave, or just suddenly disappears, can I just shoot you a message and bring you over? Usually I don't like that, it means we'll all have to re-introduce a character, ask questions, get to know eachother, etc. (I have made an exception for this before however) However since you'll have us switch characters commonly there's no reason to hate on being dragged in, as such things are surely common anyway (or dismissed alltogether)

What's better? Elves or Dwarves? Why? Most people think of elves like masterfull magicians from the moment they're born (or hatched or whatever). Meanwhile dwarves are usually seen as hardy indestructible mountain-dwelling party animals. Neither is good, but if you're gonna go with stereotypes, go with dwarves, the stereotypical dwarf is much more fun than the average elf, but elves can be fun too. In fact right now I'm in a game where I play what seems to be a fun elf. He's got half his face plated and was introduced into the story after mis-teleporting himself, since then he's threatened someone holding a sword to his throat with leaving them stranded and keeps coming up with new nicknames for the brutish types who still won't share their names. Anyway, elves can be as fun as dwarves, easily, just come up with new material every once in a while. Mechanically, it really depends on what you want to play.

Describe a nightmare you've had (This can be in {SECRET} tags to me if you wish): Havn't had nightmare's in a while now mate, last one I remember was eight years ago, but I'll still tell it. I got locked in in the school building (with a few friends, classmates, potential love interests and complete strangers), in front of the wing I was located stood my old latin teacher, smiling smugly but we all knew she was not gonna help so instead of banging the windows trying to get her attention we just resorted to trying more doors. While running through the hallways one of my group gets the bright idea of banging the windows trying to get the devil teacher's attention so she could help get us out. At this point I stared out the window to see if there's even a shred of humanity left in the sorry excuse for a human being only to be dissapointed by her turning into a friggin' dragon. With my latin teacher bombarding the school building with fireballs our legs ran faster to the various exits. Why do we want to get out again? There's one more dragon out there than there is in here? I thought, just before I heard the glass shatter the floor above me. I woke up at that point in my dream, which only forshadowed something more threathening: School, I had latin that day.

Tell me three traits about a favorite teacher you've had (past or present). Turned into a giant fire-breathing lizard, bitched about my not using "The right paper", was about as fun as a bottle of concentrated hydrogen fluoride in your pants. In all honesty though, my favorite teachers all were highly energetic, enthousiastic and made their class fun with games.

You're on a deserted island with five of your best friends, you've managed to make contact with the mainland via satellite phone, and help will be there in three days. What do you do while you wait to be rescued? (assume you have adequate food and drink for survival): Honestly, I havn't seen my best friends in quite a while, so we'd probably catch up, quite possibly make up our own games to play for the coming three days...

If you think that's an insane plan, we don't hang out enough.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Meet thy maker, sinner!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5806
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
Holy crap I think this is the first Earthdawn game I've seen here. And the first time I've heard it since the late 90s

COnsider me incredibly rusty but intrested
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2339
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed View Post
Holy crap I think this is the first Earthdawn game I've seen here. And the first time I've heard it since the late 90s

COnsider me incredibly rusty but intrested
Itís the greatest game that never got popular.

Too many people took a cursory glance at it, and wrote it off as a cheap dnd clone. Oh, they missed out! Well, FASA is back, theyíve released a 4th edition, and itís pretty close to the original, my old source books are all still viable, stats just need a minor adjustment.

You can pick up a free quick start guide from their online store.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Obi Yub Kenobi
Hall of Fame DM 2011

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2540
KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps
I have played in exactly one Earthdawn game, and some of our most entertaining gaming stories come from it. I have a Windling Elementalist somewhere in a binder just begging to be dust off and thrown back into the fray.

The short answer to all the questions is this: I like to play engaging characters. I know enough systems to get by with anything revolving around dice, and I favor interaction over mechanics.

I will work up an application shortly.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Any story involving a Windling is bound to be a good one, and a Windling Elementalist is just a fun combo.

I'll be sort of closing applications at this point, as I think I've got more than enough interest to do some mock battles to learn/test/update/modify the system for PbP format.

I will also likely be inviting 6-8 people, and doing two simultaneous scenarios with 3-4 ppl each, I'm expecting a few more people to pop over to the crossing, as I've recently flown a recruitment flag at a smallish (300+) Earthdawn fans FB page, so we might get a couple rules knowledgeable players mixed in as well. I'm super rusty at the game, haven't thrown Step dice in over 20 years, but excited to be playing again, since Earthdawn has always been my favorite rpg.

Looking forward to the madness, don't let the Horrors touch your soul. No, seriously, don't let them touch you, it's really bad.

Stay tuned for invites, though it may take a couple of days, the kids will wake up soon, and then it's Christmas madness time.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:35 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
DIoscuri
So just curious will this be with the current edition?
Old 12-24-2017, 03:40 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Yes.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DIoscuri
I admit i never played before but I have the book so count me in
Old 12-26-2017, 01:34 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the applications everyone.

Sirviantis
KevinFipps
Slimcreeper
Spinrad
creed
Eric1gs
Kaneda Shepard
Dloscuri

Come on over to the game forum and have fun chatting in the OOC, for those of you who have played Earthdawn before, feel free to help explain the system (even if you're super rusty, like ME!! I haven't played in 20 years.) to our new members.

It's a slightly complicated system, but once you get it down, you'll find that it's somewhere between Pathfinder and DnD5e. The initial learning curve is a little strange, as it's not a d20 system that most people are used to.

I'll be throwing PMs to people as well during the next few weeks, talking about how the game works, and we'll hopefully start the first 2 scenarios shortly after New Years.

Game forum link again: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16695
Old 02-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 87
ottdmk
Hiya. Would you be interested in anyone submitting as a back-up?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:03 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 902
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhald View Post
Testing out some character sheet formats, can make them compact with tables, but unless you’re familiar with those tags, they can get pretty messy.

DEX: 17 (7)
STR: 15 (6)
TOU: 11 (5)
PER: 13 (6)
WIL: 11 (5)
CHA: 13 (6)

AttributeValueStepAttributeValueStep
Dexterity177Perception136
Strength156Willpower115
Toughness115Charisma136
I like it like:

AttributeValueStepAttributeValueStep
Dexterity177Perception136
Strength156Willpower115
Toughness115Charisma136

What edition of Earthdawn is your base? Just curious... though I guess I could just follow the link and read along.

Last edited by Landsknechts; 02-03-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
4e is the game I’m running, I’ve been slowly posting the game rules as we churn through a mock battle as an educational tool, for new players and myself as well.

Although, I'm not sure how much I can share before it becomes a bit of an eyebrow raiser for others. I would love for everyone to purchase the PDF from FASAgames. It's only $20, and full of good stuff.

Last edited by Karhald; 02-03-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 PM

Tools
User Statistics
LtRipley
I loved, loved, loved Earthdawn. Played in a 1st ed campaign and have missed it since.

Any room for regulars or alternates?

PS, registered just to ask.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Umm.. well, I've gotten more interest than I thought I would, and it's quite exciting. I do need to see who in the playtest group is staying for the campaign, and I'm going to try and keep my numbers to no more than 6 players.

Stay tuned, I'll post an update in this thread if another player or two are needed.

P.S. Welcome to the Crossing!

Last edited by Karhald; 02-05-2018 at 11:40 PM.