See this post for details

Game NameBlood in the Sand
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeCharacter driven murder mystery with occult overtones
FlavourUrban gritty fantasy with some desert waste exploration
Plot Summary
Setting Introduction
left-aligned image
Vaun is a moon dominated by the desert that surrounds its equator. Dotting the sand dunes are the skeletons of ancient creatures of unknown origin. These skeletons range in size from a few hundred feet to several miles long. Many habitats are built inside these forms, using their gargantuan bones as cover from reflected sunlight coming off of Vaun's parent planet, Mono.

Yslip is one such city. Located on an river junction in the middle of Vaun's vast desert, Yslip acts as intermediate stop for merchants traveling to and from the poles. It is the most populated single location in the entire desert and is home to many different races. It's distance from other population hubs truly sets it apart; A jewel in the an otherwise treacherous location.

Plot DetailsRecently, there has been a huge increase in seemingly random acts of violence reported in the city of Yslip. Strange residue is left at every crime scene, a calling card for whatever group is responsible. The governing bodies are at a loss as these acts seem to occur with few witnesses and those near are too afraid to speak of what they saw. Rumors flow freely, but one thing is for sure: this isn't the work of the Yslip's run-of-the-mill thieves' guild members. In fact, Moonrise, arguably the most influential non-governmental organization in the city, has made it their mission to distance themselves from these acts, laying low and halting deals until this is all figured out.

Your adventuring group has been contacted by a representative from Moonrise to look into these violent acts. Something serious is building up in Yslip, and the higher ups want answers. What is the purpose of these attacks? What is the strange residue left behind? Why Yslip? You have been instructed to meet with the representative in Yslip's busy market square. The details will be given once you all have assembled.

Game DetailsThis will be my first time DMing a game on the Xing so I want to keep this as a one shot. The story is relatively linear, broken up into acts. Your characters will be investigating in an urban setting with a diverse cast of NPCs and enemies. It will eventually branch out to the wastes surrounding the city. An even amount of role play and combat is expected.

Vaun is a campaign setting with little in it so far. I want characters that can build upon what's given to them and run wild. I want this to be a great group storytelling experience.

Characters will start at level 3 so will have some experience under their belts. Characters have been adventuring together for a few months. To begin, characters will be subject to quick "icebreakers" to better establish their relationships to each other. Details to come.

I'm allowing all official Wizards rulebooks. Keep in mind that monster races will have a tough time interacting with most NPCs in this setting. UA content is subject to my approval.

I'm looking for 3-4 fleshed out characters to build out this world. No character sheets needed at this stage, but a good idea of who your character is and what their motivations are is needed. Ability scores will be a slightly modified standard array. Gold and equipment will be decide in the game threads. No dice rolling in this thread.

If you're not accepted the first time around, don't be discouraged. I will be filling any open spots with applications that just missed the cut.

I will be selecting characters based on their personalities, backgrounds and group cohesion.

Homebrew rules:
-I like achievement based leveling instead of with experience points. The group will level at least once during the adventure.
-Crit failures don't incur huge penalties in combat. Crit failing on a death save does not give you two failures, just one.
-Any others that may come up during the game are welcome if everyone agrees.

Applications Your application should include:

Name:
Race:
Class: My bad forgot to include this in the beginning
Appearance: Pictures are great here, but not too big please
Personality: Describe their personality. No less than a paragraph and no more than three. NOTE: Your character will be helping to solve this mystery with at least two other people that they have adventured with for some months. They'll have to want to keep you around.
Background: How did your character become the person they are today? Include one person who your character considers an ally or a person they consider an antagonist. No less than three paragraphs, no more than six.
Role play sample: No less than three paragraphs, no more than six.
-You and the group have been adventuring together for a few months. Describe a moment during this time that your character was directly involved in. Can be in combat, figuring out a puzzle, or interacting with an NPC.

-OR-

-An interaction with one of the people in your character's backstory that defined an aspect of their personality.

Please use spoilers for longer sections.

Posting rateI plan on posting at least twice per week as long as there is something to respond to. I want to keep the group small for this reason; it reduces the time folks are waiting for their turn to post. I have no long vacations coming up, maybe a weekend here or there where my access to a computer will be limited.

DeadlineThe deadline to get applications in will be 11:59pm Central on June 8. I will take that weekend to decide and make final decisions by June 10.

Questions Why a moon? Seems cool! This is a fantasy game, Vaun being a moon is just flavor. Makes for pretty sunsets. Mono is a gas giant for clarification. Nothing lives on it. Except gas.
Articifer and Mystic? Okay with me, but keep in mind the other characters in the group will need a good reason to want to adventure with yours.
Dinosaurs? Okay, but they are extremely rare and would be up against a lot of scrutiny.

Applicants
ApplicantCharacterRaceClassComplete?
Aarywithdrawnwithdrawnwithdrawnwithdrawn
davide15Finnwis 'Turtledove' MelliflorHalflingBeast-Master RangerWIP
gothaNiccolo PanzramHumanMastermindComplete
AosawKesslerHalf-ElfMysticComplete
pkeiterEmpuu VarnethProtector AasimarWarlockComplete
DaendilKobakDwarfWizardComplete
delpinatorpharrah rivenderhumandruidWIP
Arthilian01withdrawnwithdrawnwithdrawnwithdrawn
chri2mZavmon AranxesFire GenasiBarbarianWIP
XionotSumiya MayadHumanRogueWIP
hafrogmanBatrachianHumanFighterComplete
MartynVandalfr son of MjǫšvitnirDwarfClericComplete
StormhammerSobekDragonbornMonkWIP
Trash ToadSelphina ValmarisWood ElfClericComplete

Last edited by figtickler; 10-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM
Mandelbrot's in heaven.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 714
Aary Aary Aary Aary Aary Aary Aary
Application withdrawn.

Last edited by Aary; 05-26-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1689
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Are you allowing the Special Playtest Artificer or Mystic classes?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2648
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Is this a Sci-Fi setting? If not how did everyone end up on a moon?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 514
figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler
@Ercg Let me review it and I'll get back to you

@Daendil Nope, this is a "gritty" fantasy setting. Short answer is magic. Long answer: I'm not an astronomer by any means but I believe there is precedent for moons to have the capability to sustain life. Think Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, that supposedly has a bunch of water on it. So on Vaun, "Life, uh, found a way."
Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 PM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2681
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
Cool setting, I love the arid flavor, can practically taste the sand. I am thinking about playing a Pteranodon riding, halfling ranger. Is that going to make sense in this setting?

Application
Name: Finnwis 'Turtledove' Melliflor
Race: Halfling
Class: Beast-Master Ranger

Appearance: WIP
Personality: WIP
Background: WIP
RP Sample: WIP
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@davide A dinosaur would look out of place in the setting as I envisioned it, but I'm open to it. NPCs would be weary of it for sure and it would draw a lot of attention in combat. The urban setting may not be conducive to a flying creature. They would also be extremely rare so your char would need a good reason to have one. Keep these things in mind while you build up your app.

@Ercg After some skimming, Artificer and Mystic are okay with me. Keep in mind that your character would be in an established group. Mystic in particular would have to make up for their outsider qualities in some way.

Last edited by figtickler; 05-23-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2266
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
Application
Name: Niccolo Panzram
Race: Variant Human
Class:Mastermind

Appearance: Panzram is corvus in his appearance and mannerisms. His build is long and lanky with a head that pivots around like a curious bird. His face projects outward, forehead slanted, weak chinned, with deep shadowed eyes and a nose shooting out sharply from his face. His hair is a blown backward scraggly blonde mess ever fading into whiteness as his years add up. His lips thin and pucked, drawn almost straight across inward slant of his face only smiling or frowning under forceful situational need. Awkwardness oozes from him and he always carries himself as if he is unsure of the proper posture for the situation.

Personality: He is a man always groping for morality but often falling short due to his past. He can be calculatingly cruel without even knowing it only correcting himself after taking note of friends horrified reaction. This can come off disingenuous but to anyone who spends time with him can see honesty in the sheer effort he puts into trying to be good.
His speaking is always proceeded with a mindful pause, like he has forbidding himself spontaneity. Analytical and calculated by nature and nurture, everything to him is the sum of costs and benefits. When his calculations are off a slight panic takes his face for a split second. It will droop and his eyes will widen before regaining his composure as he begins again at recalculating the world around him. This is the most genuine emotion you will ever see him display, like his entire being and world is built upon his calculations and predictions. It is where he finds security and meaning.

His empathy and human understanding seems to be a void filled with an unnaturally constructed and patchy sense of good. His other interactions seem similar, like a jumble of mimics of emotional situations that he has observed over the years and is attempting to replicate. It's almost like he is trying to make himself anew one brick at a time.

Background:

RP Sample:

Last edited by gotha; 06-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5238
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The city is your basic run-of-the-mill fantasy or are we talking 'Wasteland survival' like Mad Max?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Wombat Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8305
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
Kessler is probably an Awakened Mystic, with the Criminal (Spy) background. Probably. Link to source PDF for convenience: Mystic

Application
Name: Kessler (he/him)
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Mystic (Order of the Awakened)

Appearance: Kessler is an attractive man, which is to say he dresses in fine clothes and keeps his hair well-groomed, cropped just short enough on the left side to emphasize his assortment of fine earrings. He keeps his right ear covered, to hide its disfigurement.

Kessler's typical outfit is a black overcoat with large silver buttons, over a plain white silk shirt.

Personality: Kessler is brilliant but reserved; he chooses his words carefully, reveals very little about himself, tends to come up with a plan before taking action. He also has a strong intuition about people, which may come from his psychic abilities or from a life spent in observation of others. He is...kind. Though he is slow to make friends, he is fiercely loyal to those he trusts.

In confidence, Kessler prefers the quiet of his own mind, choosing to engage in one-on-one conversations through telepathy rather than voicing his concerns aloud. This may be somewhat related to the feminine lilt of his voice, persistent despite decades of practice. The voice of my mind is male, he once said. No matter what my body's voice chooses to be.

Criminal (Spy)Background: Not everyone lives long enough to remember their first encounter with an illithid, much less befriend one. Such was the case with Kessler on his first mission working for the secretive organization known only as The State. Sent to gather intel about a series of disturbing deaths and unusual disappearances, the young Kessler found himself in a dark chapel, staring straight into the eyes of a tentacled creature, its eyes pale and curious and alien. Kessler offered himself service to the creature in exchange for his life, and the creature accepted, quickly inducting him into a small group of thralls. He has been under the command of the mind flayers ever since.

Despite his new employment, Kessler found little disruption from his other work. He still gathered intelligence on behalf of The State, he still occasionally eliminated targets as needed. But then The State collapsed, suddenly, like a bee hive in crisis. His colleagues were confused, lost--but Kessler knew who must have been behind it. He sought guidance from his hidden masters, and they gave him a directive: Go to Yslip. Wait for instructions.

When he arrived there, he eventually joined up with a group of budding adventurers, seeking mercenary work to keep him fed and housed until his masters' inevitable call. He made fast friends with this new group, at least by his own standards, and proved to be a valuable companion. His methods were unorthodox, to be sure, but no more unconventional than the spells of an ordinary sorcerer or wizard.

Role-Play Sample:

Last edited by Aosaw; 05-24-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@arthilian Less Mad Max, more The Mummy in a fantasy setting
wait, it already was....

Last edited by figtickler; 05-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Alrighty, I'll mull over a character soon
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Goliath?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yes Goliath is fine.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
pkeiter pkeiter
Since I'm hoping to have some more time, let's try to play
If this combination doesn't work, let me know and we'll try again
want to try a Protector Aasimar Warlock with a Celestial Patron.

right-aligned image

Name: Empuu Varneth
Race: Protector Aasimar
Class: Warlock (Celestial Patron)

Appearance: Empuu is often wearing a cloak with the hoop up to conceal his Aasimar features. When he is not wearing the cloak his shoulder-length, dark hair can be seen. He appears withdrawn, typically quiet, however this changes when he is engaged with something, such as a mystery. When he is concentrating on a problem he can often look through people, focusing on some unknown object in the distance.

Personality: Empuu has an interest in the unusual. The weirder the story, the more intent Empuu listens to it. He has developed a sense of skepticism, but this does not dissuade him from listening. Empuu can seem conflicted at times, in particular when his desires are trumped by the desires of his Patron. At times, because of the occasional conflict between Empuu and his Patron, self-doubt can enter Empuu's mind, causing him to delay an action. He can feel tormented when his Patron's orders prevent him from helping a friend and he will go out of his way to make it up to them in other ways. This can lead to a feeling of resentment because Empuu does not feel as though he has free will. At times like this, Empuu views his "guardian angel" as more of a curse than a benefit.

Background:

Role play sample:

Last edited by pkeiter; 06-04-2018 at 12:11 AM.