RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2648
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Name: Kobak
Race: Dwarf
Class: Wizard (School of Invention)

AppearanceHaven't found a really good picture. Maybe this one.
The first word to come to mind trying to describe Kobak's appearance would probably be "eccentric". Short, stout and hairy like dwarfs in general, but this is probably where similarities end. (Ah, and a taste for beer of course.)
Kobak usually wears his peculiar armor: veins, pipes, switches, buckles webbing a leather structure. Complete with a wide harness at the waist holding numerous tools and pouches, and a fist size luminous oval lump at the center of the chest.
Hair and beard usually unkempt and similarly to the face, smeared with soot and oil. The sole clean part of his face is only visible when he removes his large goggles covering his eyes and the upper part of his face.
When not tinkering at home he carries a robust backpack that seems to live a life of its own. This ticking, clinking, sometimes fuming device functions as Kobak's mobile laboratory, safe, pantry and widget storage (occasionally, beer keg). Pockets, padlocks, gauges, intakes and exhausts cover its surface.
Kobak's right arm is a brass colored artificial device substituting his lost arm and also being capable of numerous tricks while looking more or less like an armor glove.

PersonalitySeems to be detached and somewhat reserved, Kobak is lost in his thoughts most of the time. Either tinkering or thinking about tinkering, planning experiments and trying to come up with new approaches to whatever problem. Despite that, he's friendly and open to share his ideas to whomever seems interested in hearing them. Growing up amongst gnomes he developed an optimistic and jovial view. Though he can be morose if he's stuck with a problem for too long. He speaks a little bit loud - maybe a dwarven heritage or just a habit from operating in a rather noisy environment.

BackgroundHis parents used to be merchants crossing the desert with their fortified wagon. But one time just before they'd reach the safety of Yslip they were overrun by a large pack of sandwolves. The city guard came to their rescue witnessing the attack through their telescopes, but by the time they arrived Koback's parents were dead and he lost his right arm.
A group of tinkerer gnomes - who were the recipients of the shipment - adopted the young dwarf feeling somewhat responsible for the tragedy. They created a basic mechanical substitution for Kobak's lost arm and shared their knowledge and affinity to magic and mechanics with the boy.
Kobak was a fast learner. He soon fit in to his new family and tinkering became his life, his hobby and his obsession - especially ever refining his substitute arm.

Role play sampleBlue sparkles scattered over the workbench. Bright light illuminated Kobak's goggles, but the welding torch halted in his hand. Something was amiss. He switched off the device and removed his goggles. He narrowed his eyes as a red pulsating light and a buzzing siren were trying to get his attention. It indicated that someone was hitting the mission bell downstairs at the shop. He reluctantly put down his work and descended the narrow stairs, trying to get rid of the stain on his hands using a rag. Since allymaster Alzivier was forced to live in a wheelchair Kobak took over the bulk of running the small shop. Not that they had many customers: tinkerers would rather make their own tools than buy it from someone else - though master Alzivier's name was guarantee for quality. Aside from some very tricky, hard to make components, their income came mostly from selling various rat traps and dove wards.
As Kobak recognized the person in front of the counter he nearly turned straight back.
- "What now?" - he asked in a less then friendly manner.
The crone directed her gaze at the dwarf. Her orange eyes burned with malice from under the robes that covered her body. Her wizened hand lifted a sack and dropped it onto the counter.
- "Keep your faulty devices away from my little darlings!" - she complained. Kobak didn't need to guess to know what was inside the sack: the ruins of his autonomous mechatronic companion prototype (or Amecop for short). He frowned as he took the sack and examined the remains. It was in a bad but repairable shape. antagonistZeralda lived in the neighborhood with her numerous exotic and less exotic pets, like cats, pseudodragons, sentient fungi, giant bats and who knows what else.
Kobak looked back at the hag. - "You should keep your _darlings_ away from other people's homes!" - he replied. The Amecop was set to guard mode when he last saw it in one piece. It must have spotted one of her pets trying to steal something from the pantry and it chased it home where Zeralda terminated its program with a broom. He was abut to voice his anger regarding the state of his device but then master Alzivier rolled in from a side door.
- "Zeralda!" - he smiled - "Great to see you again! Looking for a new collar? Leash? Something else?"
He caught Kobak's glance and nodded for him to go back upstairs. The dwarf turned around and climbed up the stairs silently. "Alzivier will handle this." - he thought. He never was a diplomat like the old master. He shook his head. He didn't want to waste any more thoughts on Zeralda, the weight of the sack he held reminded him that suddenly he had a lot more work to do.

Last edited by Daendil; 05-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5238
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The city itself is large enough to be unaffected by the desert all around it?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 514
figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler figtickler
The cover of the skeleton it's under helps a great deal with the heat and occasional sandstorms
Old 05-23-2018, 10:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1598
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
pharrahname pharrah rivender
race human
classdruid
backgroundsage
backstoryparrah was born in the small Hamlet more of a small Oasis within the desert. His father was patrol and mother a learned miragist. The knowledge kept within the halls was dangerous if used incorrectly. Those that could prove themselves to be worthy of the knowledge or born within it's halls could access the great halls. Wip
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 AM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2681
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
@figtickler Would there be a way to reskin the pteranodon to something more common? My thought was that the character would be part of a corps of halfling mercenary scouts who ride flying mounts and are hired to find caravans and travelers lost on the hard journey from pole to pole. Mostly they would work for merchant houses in the city who have realized scheduled shipments have been delayed and would like to know what happened to them.

I was hoping to have them as a faction and also an obligation that this character would have.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@daenil this is very interesting. This concept works. Did you want to keep the arm purely as flavor?

@davlde hmm perhaps. The only thing big enough that wouldn't attracted too much attention to mind are ostriches but they don't fly. There are falcons that assist people with this sort of thing in IRL. Obvs not big enough, but I'd allow a nerfed giant eagle. There is precedent for animals of unusual size in the setting. Bounce some ideas around and get back to me.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Wombat Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8305
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
@Daendil - I don't know if figtickler would allow it, but the School of Invention might be a good way to flavor a character with a more tech-heavy concept; the arcanomechanical armor it provides would be a neat in-rules benefit to showcase your mechanical arm, and the archetype also grants free proficiency with two types of tools, which could also be useful. (I briefly considered it as an analog for Kessler's binder, before I started thinking about his background more deeply.)

Last edited by Aosaw; 05-24-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
pkeiter pkeiter
Quick question as I develop my character. How long has life been on Vaun? Are the inhabitants native to it or did they come from Mono?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@pkeiter good question! Life has evolved on Vaun to what it is today. All inhabitants are native. Mono is a gas giant, so nothing lives on it.

@daendil and aosaw, the School of Invention was what I was thinking of as well and would allow it.

Last edited by figtickler; 05-24-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I forgot to include class as an item in the app, most of you included it anyway. Sorry about that!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2648
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
@Aosaw: nice find. I didn't know about that school, but it seems pretty flavorful. Looks like the DM would allow it too. So I think I'll go with it.

@figtickler: I'm not sure I understand the question. The flexible hand would be a way for me to fluff Mage Hand. I wouldn't attempt to grab a 2nd floor window frame with it and crane myself up (the fine mechanic parts wouldn't bear the weight anyway).
Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Daendil I was wondering if the arm would have any mechanical uses beyond it changing how spells look when they're cast. I think the School of Invention covers the ideas that could go with that, with creative flourishes to fit the character

Last edited by figtickler; 05-24-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Arthilian01; 05-24-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lord Sir Gantry Lelouch Destroud IV:
right-aligned image

Name: Sir Gantry Lelouch Destroud IV
Race: VariantHuman
Age: 30-ish, Stopped counting birthdays about that time.
Class: Arcane TricksterRogue

Appearance: Gantry stands around six feet tall and weighs in at a hundred and ninety pounds. He has shoulder length brown hair which he keeps swept back and behind his ears. His face is handsome and somewhat sculpted per his controlled selected lineage and bloodline with dark green eyes. Unfortunately in his older age, he is starting to show some wrinkles across his forehead and under his eyes from many nights spent otherwise awake. Due his perfectly selected lineage, he has broad shoulders and a somewhat heavy build but due to his training, he is lithe and toned rather than having bulging muscles from less-focused labor. He wears a single dangling, gold earring in his left ear that bears a spherical topaz. He prefers thick, heavy clothing in vibrant blues and golds in order to properly disguise his leather armor underneath. He always caries a cane, obviously not using it for more than a 'walking stick'. It bears about six inches of silver at the top with a spherical topaz head and the length is brown wood, polished to a sheen.

Personality: Gantry is often cold and detached, always carrying himself with a royal bearing, his chin always somewhat upraised. Anyone looking at him can tell he comes from noble stock and raising. He is a driven individual, thriving to prove himself worth his family name and worth their allies, the Moonrise. Since the 'unfortunate' loss of several family members, He has to show that he can be useful and he has a devotion and loyalty to benefit his family's allies and in extension, his family. He almost never talks about his past or family, It's a good possibility that there is some secret that could jeopardize his family's place in society.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 05-24-2018 at 06:41 PM.