twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1459
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Kaspar Thorngage As the blink dogs flash out of existence, Kaspar slumps, catching himself on the base of the sarcophagus and grasping his side where the beast's tentacles ripped into him. He looks up at the dragonborn, now wielding the sword.

"Looks like I may need to invest in some better armor," the tiefling mutters. "Another hit from that thing's tentacles and you all would've been out my dulcet tones," he says, smiling grimly. "So let's see that sword then, Naskan. LEt's see what all this was about."

Actions

stat block

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
As the fight draws to its conclusion - with some assistance from the guard dogs - Ash casually pulls the scabbard back out from its hole and strides over to Naskan. As he does, he focuses his enchantment on the connection between the scabbard and sword - curious if the arcane tethers he had saw earlier might intensify as the two objects became closer to one another. Nora's earlier warning about keeping the pieces of the whole separate was a distant memory to the warlock as his insatiable curiosity took hold. Whether the paladin consented or not, the warlock grabbed hold of the sword (either by the handle if Naskan allows or by the blade - careful to not cut himself - if not) and brought it up to his gaze (with Naskan's hand still potentially on it).

He studied the blade intently for a moment and then began to move the scabbard in and out of its proximity - focusing on their connection with the same fervor. If nothing seems overtly dangerous (to him, personally, anyway) then he will take the scabbard and sheathe it over top of the blade to study the effect of it. All the while, his mind races through the annals of his arcane knowledge - using what he sees with his enchantment as inputs to the process. Once he was done with this exercise, he turned back towards the rest of the room and focused his enchantment on it as well. With all of the arcane puzzles completed, their magic should be dispelled... so any lingering trace of the arcane left in the place may be another treasure for the group.

Last edited by Agrudez; 10-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2802
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
"Well, that was strange," was about all the man could say after witnessing the ethereal animals tear into each other. When the dogs disappeared with their pack mate, he was even more dumbfounded. "I've never seen dogs carry off their dead. We need to be done with this place." Lothar wanted nothing more than to get out of the crypt. It sent shivers up his spine and to his very core.

He walked back over towards the door never fully relaxing his grip on the axe. Lothar waited for the others to conclude their business.

Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5785
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Just a hole in the wall
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
The blade was incredibly light in Naskan's hands either a result of the mundane difference between maul and sword or something more. He does not resist as Ash came over to investigate the artifacts they had found, allowing the magic user to hold the blade himself as he studied it.

Glancing at Nora, he asked, "I guess you're not a dog person?" The blink dogs, despite their supposed good nature did not seem thrilled at Nora's presence.

Naskan then went over to Kaspar and checked on his wounds, helped him bind them. "I do believe you'll live, friend. Well done, maintaining concentration to focus the light while dealing with the pain this surely caused."

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9096
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike smiled in grim satisfation as the beast finally met its demise. He wasn't particularly pleased with his performance during the fight. But, it was over and only Kaspar seemed to be injured.

He slapped Naskan on the back, "Looks like yer the hero of us all with that fancy sword."

Spike went over to the carcass of the displacer beat and examined it. "How'd this thing go all blurry like? And what is it?" He gingerly lifted one of the tentacles, "Maybe I should cut this off and keep it fer a trophy." He could probably swing it around and hurt somebody with it. He liked spikes, after all.

Stat Block

Last edited by Huhart; 10-03-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 PM
No Superman.Only Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
The de-tourNaskan releases his grip on the sword and lets Ash play with it. It is a rather ornate looking piece of weaponry. Despite spending who knows how long in the crypt, it still looks good as new. It is longer than a short sword, but not a long sword yet. It is also surprisingly light. The sword has ornamental engravings along the blade, with a handle made of ivory and inlaid with jewels. It is clear, espacially to Kaspar, that both the sword and the scabbard would fetch quite the price. If they can find someone to purchase them, that is.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like a ceremonial sword. But they have seen it in action already. It has a rather nasty edge to it. Ash takes a closer look at the sword and how it relates to the scabbard.

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Ash's study of the sword proves fruitful as he feels confident in his discernment of the piece's properties. He looks around at the group - wondering whom might benefit from the weapon the most. To the warlock's eye, no one used a weapon of its ilk in the fight - save perhaps the bard at the end. In the end, though, he hands the blade back to Naskan. Ash didn't really care where it ended up - since he, himself, couldn't use it - and so passing the burden of an undesirable decision off to someone else seemed logical to him. As he handed the sword back; however, he took the opportunity to relay his findings.

The sword is magical in nature - as we suspected. Not terribly so, though. A small increase to combat abilities relative to blades of its ilk - though my knowledge of such things suggest that it still won't deliver as much pain as some of its non-magical, but stronger made counterparts.

He then holds up the scabbard.

This; however, is much more interesting. Though useless by itself, it is capable of imparting an enchantment on this particular sword when it is placed inside. The enchantment seems to be defensive in nature and most strongly correlates with fire. That is to say, it seems that it imparts some resistance for the wielder against fire when held. That said, this effect is not indelible. As best I can tell, it only lasts for approximately 18 seconds upon removal from the scabbard - at which point you must holster it to recharge for approximately 6 seconds to realize the enchantment again. In combat terms - based on my calculations of the alacrity of each of your movements against the displacer beast... which were remarkably similar to one another, might I add - that means it would need to be sheathed after every third attack.

Having told all he learned - in acceptably exhausting detail - Ash returns the scabbard to Naskan as well and begins to head towards the exit. When he realizes the group isn't immediately following, he turns back to call over his shoulder.

I scanned the rest of this area and beyond lingering fey-like presence - likely from the multiple planar shifts from the various inter-dimensional wildlife that seemed to be inhabiting the area - there does not appear to be further magic here for us to find.

He then turns back around and continues towards the exit - never looking back to see if the rest of the group was following. Once outside, he took a deep breath and looked up at the sky to attempt to see what time it might be.

Last edited by Agrudez; 10-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Kaspar Thorngage "Thanks Naskan," Kaspar replied. The compliment caught him off guard and left him unusually tongue tied. In Kaspar's experience, compliments and niceties usually concealed some ulterior motive, unless it was from family. And even then...

But he couldn't think what the dragonborn knight could possibly hope to gain, which set him at unease even more. There was no denying Naskan knew his way around a needle and thread, however, and he was grateful for the help and the clean stitches. "You were pretty impressive yourself..." he returned awkwardly.

As he turned to listen to Ash's summary of the weapon, the young tiefling couldn't help but be impressed by the warlock's intelligence. Looking around the chamber one last time, Kaspar retrieved his gear and followed the others out into the light of the forest.

Actions

stat block

Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2966
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
Nora tarries in the blood-spattered tomb as her companions make their way out, her face downcast. The blink dogs had vanished as quickly and inexplicably as they'd arrived, taking with them their packmate slain by the tentacled, leonine monster.

Was its death their fault? Had the blink dogs truly been trying to warn them of the monster's approach? Or had its approach caught them by surprise as well? If the beast's brutal ambush hadn't been directed at the poor blink dog, then would it have been her, or one of her comrades, torn apart on the tomb's mosaic floor?

Nora flinches at the casual barb from Naskan about not being a dog person, but offers no response. The rest of them might doubt as they wished... she knew that the blink dogs were not mere beasts, and had meant them no ill, and might very well have saved their lives. Instead of speaking up, Nora waits until the others have filed from the tomb, and then murmurs a halting prayer in the Sylvan Tongue, to whatever gods or spirits of the Green may be listening, a prayer for life's renewal in the forest shadows. Though she knew the prayer from the litany of the Green, taught to her by the elders of her circle, it had always been mere words before. Death, actual death, had been an abstraction to her in the safe confines of her secluded enclave. She could have gone a mortal's lifetime without seeing it for herself - without speaking these words and having to mean it.

"I am sorry," she finishes in a whisper, against the chance that the fey creatures might yet be listening. Then, not knowing what else to say, she hurries after the others, leaving the plundered tomb open to the elements, and the beast's bloodied remains for the carrion-eaters.

In time, the Green would set all to rights.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 10-03-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Just a hole in the wall
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
After Naskan assists Kaspar tend to his wounds, he notices that the group has cleared out of the ancient structure. "Rest awhile, I will attempt to persuade the others to do the same."

He padded outside and called to his companions, "Friends, our companion is injured and could use some time to recuperate. Shall we not rest a bit in the protection of a shelter for only a small while and then we can resume our journey to Foxdale?"

Naskan was in as much a hurry as any to arrive in the village but it would do no good to march on with an injured companion.

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Old 10-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9096
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
As Ash regaled the virtues of sword and scabbard, Spike could only offer a blank stare, as he understood none of it. "I kan't believe I wasted a drop of me hero's blood to open the door ... fer that," he grumbled. The dragonborn seemed to have taken ownership of the magic weapon. Spike compared the sword to Naskan's maul, knowing which one he would choose. Mass beat magic every time, in the battlerage's opinion.

Nora seemed upset about the dogs. "I thinks they were smiling at ye," he told her. Spike made a ridiculous face mimicking the "smiling" blink dog and barked at her. "Who cares what blinkin' dogs think of ye?"

Spike casually inspected Kaspar's wounds. "Aye, the beast did a number on ye." He flagged over Lothar. "Ifen we're gonna rest here, let's get rid o that carcass before it starts smellin'" With Lothar's help, he dragged the body outside, leaving a think trail of blood behind. He pretended not to notice it when he re-entered the crypt.

As Kaspar rested, Spike retrieved his grooming kit from his pack. He then began the long and arduous task of returning his hair to its former glory. It was a good thing that there were plenty of mirrors in the place.

Stat Block

Last edited by Huhart; 10-04-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ash sighed as the paladin asked the group to stay and rest.

You just witnessed a monster materialize from thin air and attack us inside that crypt... and you want to unnecessarily linger?

Despite the attempt at a logic-based protestation; however, it seemed the dragonborn already had a quorum as Spike and Lothar began cleaning up the first battle to ready for the potential second. This made the warlock groan as well, but with his earlier objection ignored he internalized this one. Tremendous idea... dragging a giant rotting carcass just outside the door to let the world know we are here. Perchance a Roc will smell the rotting flesh and meet us as we exit to interrupt his meal.

As the rest of the group lounged, Ash sat in a corner by himself and brooded.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Kaspar Thorngage Kaspar turns his attention to his stitches and bandages. Feeling a measure of relief just from the binding and not wanting to be seen as the weak one of the group, he stands, taking a couple of mock sword swings to test his side.

"We need not tarry here any longer," he said, gathering his things. "I can travel. Let's be off and attend to our task."

Actions

stat block

Last edited by Spinrad; 10-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Just a hole in the wall
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
At Kaspar's insistence he was fit to continue, Naskan gathered up his things and shrugged. Who was he to question the man's level of readiness? Before they left, he approached the bard and offered him the sword.

"A bit light for my liking. It may not be a rapier but you seem best suited to its use."

He gestured toward Nora to let her know the group was ready to press on and that they would again, follow her lead through the forest.

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Old 10-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Kaspar Thorngage Once again, the tiefling was struck nearly speechless by the knight. "I...uh...are you sure I'm the best to carry this artifact? It seems really nice. ...I ...yeah, ok, I'll carry it if you think that's best. ...thank you," he finished quietly.

He tried his best to meet Naskan's eyes, but the emotional storm was too much. He cast his eyes down as he took the sword from the dragonborn. Guilt, suspicion, pride...and more all competed in Kaspar's mind. Suddenly he wanted to deserve this sword. And the trust Naskan seemed to have placed in him. It was a feeling he was unaccustomed to.

"Thank you," he said again, quietly, as he considered the sword for another moment and secured the weapon in his belt next to his rapier.

Actions

stat block