RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > To Slay a Dragon
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #226  
Old 11-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
Ash's face cracks into a veneer of surprise at Nora's suggestion. As someone whose life revolved around the arcane and its study, the notion of mundane fixes to problems often didn't even cross the warlock's mind. When the druid set to work, Ash stood and watched in wonder - like a child watching a magic show. After she had finished, the warlock nodded solemnly.

That was an uninspiring method, but none the less very effective.

His gaze lifted from the sight of the hogtied kobolds towards the elf herself.

Well done, druid.

He thought for a moment - seemingly weighing his words more than usual. He then spoke, with a bit of strain to his voice that wasn't normally there.

No. Well done, Nora. On all accounts.

Biting back the forced compliment before he allowed it to get too out of control, he looked up just in time to see his bat returning. It soared down and perched - as it often did - on his arm before swinging upside down and creeping along the length of it into the warlock's cloak. Once this well worn ritual was complete, Ash spoke again.

It seems we are in the clear - my familiar saw no other kobolds in the vicinity. Let us be off back to town.

At the suggestion of wishing Naskan or Lothar were still with them to muscle the creatures back, the warlock smirked.

Yes, that would be useful. I could alert them via my familiar to come and collect the package. I'm sure the dwarf went to the tavern to drown himself after his outburst and the priest was leading the dragon to the temple, as best I recall. Or we could wake the wretches and use threat of violence to motivate them to come with us.
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 11-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:27 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3284
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,117
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
"No need to wake them," Nora notes, "they seem to be coming around on their own. Now," she says, raising her voice and glaring at the kobolds, "what shall we do with them?"

The band of kobolds that had accosted them on the road into Foxdale that morning had spoken the Common Tongue, and so Nora assumes these two wretches will, as well. "What's it to be, you two?" she demands. "We've a few questions about the dragon you and your kind serve. Come with us peaceably, answer us truthfully, and you'll be fed and well-treated, and set free when all is done with. Or," she continues, putting some growl in her voice, "you can be difficult."


 
__________________
In Pre-Production: The Return to Karredral.
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
With hopes to provide an even more threatening backdrop to Nora's options, Ash stepped forward with a sadistic smile. In his fist, a mote of dark energy formed as his other hand motioned the somatic for minor illusion. Again in his offhand, he repeated the steps to then create an illusory source of sound between each of the wretches heads that whispered in the tongue of the infernal ominously in their ears.

I, for one, hope they choose the latter. As does my... patron.

 

 
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 11-01-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 11-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3655
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 2,337
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
"Goodnight Bisek, and well met. I thankya for the drink," Lothar said to Bisek just before he left. Once again, the man was left alone with his thoughts. It was a bit awe inspiring to imagine a great war between dragons and elves that took place in these very mountains. A part of Lothar wished that he was alive for such a sight. Being a mere human did have it's age limitations, however.

After much time in his own head imagining great battles, his stomach started to growl. Lothar looked down at the tankard and peered inside. With one eye squinted in the low light, he brought the rim of the mug up to his eye. Peering inside, he frowned, and then turned it upside down.

"Well, it is time for another, and to get some food. Kidney pie, I think he said. Sure, it's been a while since I've feasted on the kidneys of slain orcs. I do hope they are fresh." Lothar stood up, and dusted his clothes off. Across from the town square he saw The Bristled Boar tavern and inn. With a slow and methodical pace but an air of urgency, he walked up to the front door.

The smells emanating from inside was the first thing to assault the man. They were delicious, and for a man who had been traveling long and far, there were very much welcome. His stomach again protested his delay, and he no other choice but to oblige. He opened the door to The Bristled Boar and walked over the threshold.

Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 

Last edited by Shaede; 11-01-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is online now
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 5731
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,471
FoxdaleThe kobold that was whimpering looks up at Nora's words. "Fed? I likes being fed....", it says in a weak, squeaky voice, rubbing its stomach. The other one growls at it. But then, Ash's words and the ominous voices in their ears silences the creature. At length, the kobold says, "We no go to village. Talk here. Then you let go free. Ok?"

------------------------------

left-aligned image
Lothar approaches the tavern situated across the square. From the outside it looks cheery and well maintained. Hardwooden planks and well-crafted wooden beams make up most of the building's outer structure.

As the fighter from the mountains pushes open the simple hard wood doors of the Bristled Boar Tavern, he is greeted by a bracing warmth and the wonderful aroma of roasting meat. It is a decent sized establishment, about sixty feet across and forty feet deep, though there is a spiral staircase off to a side suggesting more room upstairs. Hardwooden beams support the upper floor and the sconces attached to them. The walls are decorated with a variety of interesting looking knick knacks. Old miniature paintings, Sea shells, insignias of unfamiliar houses, foreign looking trinkets etc. There is a small lit fireplace off to one side. A small section of the hall is cordoned off as the kitchen and bar area. It is a well lit space, with a haphazard array of tables, stools and chairs strewn around, along with a fair assortment of patrons.

At this time of the evening, the tavern is only half full. Or half empty, from the perspective of the bartender, who is a bright and spry human male, currently leaning against a stool, surveying the work of one of the barmaids. The barmaid in question is a slender waif of a girl, making her way through the tables clumsily. Perhaps she is new. In the kitchen, a sweating dwarf seems hard at work stirring a pot of stew on an open fire.

As Lothar enters, a few people look up from their tables. He recognizes a few faces from the scene outside. They go back to their drinks and conversations. The barkeep looks up to the burly fighter and smiles a wide, pleasant smile. "Welcome, welcome! Do make yourself comfortable!"


 
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon

Last edited by undeadrajib; 11-02-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
Ash smiled. A rare genuine smile for the warlock whom usually offered smirks instead.

Well, it seems we have one willing to acquiesce to our terms and as luck would have it, we only need one.

His smile widened as a dark energy formed in his fist once more - this time no illusion, but rather a preparation to attack.

Yes. We only need one... alive.

His eyes shined with a certain intensity as he said the words that left no doubt that he was willing - no, excited - to carry out the threat. He focused his attention - and aim - on the one whom had laid out his feeble counterproposal after trying to dissuade his hungry ally from following the trio's directions.
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 11-02-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 6580
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,586
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Weapons to aid them in slaying the dragon. Certainly guarded like the last but he had a group capable of dealing wtih such things.

Standing, Naskan gave a curt bow to the elder and thanked him for his time. "If you wouldn't mind, I would like to return in the morning with our scout, Nora. The directions to these places would be best spoken into her ears. I greatly appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you for speaking with us."

He motioned to Spike and walked out of the temple toward the tavern. His stomach was completely empty...had been for quite some time. It was time to eat!



oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 11-03-2018, 08:25 AM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3284
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,117
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image

"Let us hear what you have to say," says Nora mildly, in response to the more reasonable of the two kobolds, while Ash... discussed matters... with the other. The little sneak was in no position to be setting terms, but there was no need to argue over it - they could decide what to do about the things after they'd heard what it was willing to divulge here and now.

"What does this dragon... 'Cathrax,' the others named him... what does he intend for this village and the people in it?"

"How many others such as you serve the dragon? Are all his servants kobolds, or are there any others?"

"Where does the dragon keep its lair? Is it expecting to be disturbed there, and if it is, how has it prepared?"


 


OOC
Nora's not really asking all of those questions at a rush, but in the interests of keeping things moving, it might be faster to lay out the questions we want to ask the kobold in one place, and let the DM decide what we can get from it in response to any or all of them. More than likely, it won't be willing to answer all of that at once, but it'll give us a place to start.
__________________
In Pre-Production: The Return to Karredral.
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 11-03-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Spinrad's Avatar
Spinrad Spinrad is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 1655
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Posts: 2,752
Kaspar Thorngage Kaspar was impressed with Nora's skill with the rope and as the kobolds came to, he stayed back from the questioning. Ash was more than intimidating on his own with out Kas's help. As his companions interrogated the pair, he paid attention to the kobold's answers and kept his eyes on the horizon in the interest of avoiding any undue surprise visit.


Actions
 


stat block
 
__________________
~ Oathtaker ~
Bugger this. I want a better world. - Warren Ellis, The Authority
Baern Stonecrop - Dungeon Dive (always recruiting!) | Draxon Yarrow - The West Marches [B]
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:14 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is online now
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 5731
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,471
FoxdaleAs Naskan starts to walk out of the temple, Cecil calls out to him. "You should talk to Jonah for directions. He is our ranger. Only one who ventures into the deep forest. I only know what the books tell me. You all are of course, welcome to come to the temple anytime you like!"

Then the old priest looks to Spike and says, "So, find what you looking for, young man?"

The dragonborn makes his way to the tavern, where he finds Lothar just inside the threshold, and a fit and sprightly human bartender in shiny black leather beaming at the fighter and welcoming him in.

------------------------------

Out in the fields, Nora and Ash begin their interrogation of the captured kobolds while Kaspar keeps an eye out.

Ash goes for brute force tactics, and it is easy to read in his eyes that he is more than willing to fulfil his promise of violence. The kobold that is the subject of his ire backs down from his defiance. If anything, he appears sad. "Why you kill me? I say I answer questions, did I not?" After a moment of silence, it licks its scaly lips and says, "Ok, kill me. Hurek feed me to crockos anyway."

The other kobold hears this and says, "Yes, Hurek make Grak crocko food too. But Grak gets food first, no?" It looks to Nora, its eyes begging. "Grak answer questions. Tell you what he know. I not know what Cathrax the Awesome want. You know what your god want? Never see Cathrax. Grak bottom of food chain. Grak only know what boss Skok tell him. Right now Skok tell keep watch on gate. Report. Not get caught." The kobold smiles feebly at the last one. "See big boss sometimes. Hurek. Big lizard. In big fort. Human call Summer Soil. Bummer Shield? No, Summer Shield. Inside forest. Long away. Many kobolds. Fitty? Yes, and more. Crockos. Lizards. And one big, ugly ogre. They keep in chain. Dragon house Grak not know where. Never see Cathrax. I tell all I know. Feed Grak now? Please?"


 
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 AM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
The warlock seems momentarily taken aback by the kobold's willingness to die. He hesitates for a moment - his curiosity piqued by these new terms 'Hurek' and 'crockos' - but then the other kobold fills in some of the details... once again rendering his obstinate accomplice useless. Ash's eyes dart between the pair as they speak before resting on the nihilistic one.

As you wish.

The dark energy in his fist flares for a fleeting moment before springing forth from his hand to assault the defenseless creature. As it cries out in pain, the warlock can't help but allow his lips to crack a smirk. As the cries cease; however, he turns towards the helpful kobold and nods.

Yes, Grak. You will have food in exchange for your service. Just follow us back to town without getting any unfortunate ideas like your partner.

He glances ominously at the charred husk of the recently deceased kobold.

And your belly will be full shortly thereafter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3655
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 2,337
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
Lothar opened the door and saw your typical small town tavern. Given the reception that Spike had in the town plaza, he was not expecting the greeting provided by the bartender. With a smile on his face, he walked up to the bar and introduced himself.

"Ho there! My name is Lothar, and have just arrived to Foxdale. I'm in need of food and drink, and from the smell of it, I am in the right place. Can you bring some ale and the dinner special to that table of there?" and he pointed to a large table right in the middle of the Bristled Boar.

Then, Lothar walked over and had a seat. Eyes seemed to be trained on him, as it was obvious that he was a newcomer to this sleepy hamlet. That and the commotion out in the street gave others the distinct impression that he meant business. When the barmaid brought over his order he smiled at her. She may have been small and clumsy, but it had been a long journey, and the dragonborn as his only companion for some time. To finally be among the company of a woman, gave the man some comfort.

"Thank you kindly, m'lady he said to her." He then drank his mug in one fell swoop and gobbled down his beef stew. How much do I owe you, he asked when she asked him if he'd like another. "I'm just waiting for my friends."

Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 11-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Spinrad's Avatar
Spinrad Spinrad is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 1655
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Posts: 2,752
Kaspar Thorngage The bard keeps his eyes on the horizon as he listens to Grak's confessions. Only at the kobolds painful bu t quick cries, does Kaspar turn around. Far too late as Ash grins at the burned creature. He grimaces, clearly not impressed with the warlock's actions. But not disagreeing with them, either. Dead...kobolds...tell no tales, as the old smuggler's saying went. Sort of.

"We should dispose of the body and do what we can to hide marks of your blast, Ash. Their "big boss", or any other for that matter, returning and finding these two gone isn't likely to raise much suspicion. Finding one dead and burnt, the other one gone is more likely to raise an alarm. Nora, will the forces you channel let you cover this before we return?" he asked quietly, choking down what emotion he could. "I'm afraid my talents lie in other directions."

The warlock's display rested heavy on Kaspar's shoulders. He'd witnessed such callousness in his time with the smugglers and hoped that was behind him. But he couldn't deny the utility of such action - one less mouth to feed and one less potential escapee to provide information to their foe.


Actions
 


stat block
 
__________________
~ Oathtaker ~
Bugger this. I want a better world. - Warren Ellis, The Authority
Baern Stonecrop - Dungeon Dive (always recruiting!) | Draxon Yarrow - The West Marches [B]
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:09 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 6580
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,586
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Naskan headed for the tavern with Spike to ease his hunger pains and to inquire about the ranger, Jonah. The atmosphere within seemed pleasant and he immediately spotted the large hillman sitting at a central table within the establishment.

"Lothar."

The dragonborn took a seat next to the large man and ordered whatever was being served. Food was only a necessity for survival. He took little pleasure in its tastes or textures.

As the waitress came around, he asked, "I've been told there is a ranger among the people of Foxdale. A man named Jonah. I would very much like to speak with him. Could you tell me where he normally resides?"



oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Huhart's Avatar
Huhart Huhart is online now
Foolish Mortal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 9530
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Posts: 3,620
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Naskan left, presumably to the alehouse, and Spike found himself alone with the cleric.

"So, find what you looking for, young man?" the old man asked, ominously.

Spike glared hard at Cecil. He was looking for his father, but his dad was clearly not here. Then he realized that Cecil must have noticed him staring at the walls of the building. "Your temple is constructed a lot like the crypt we found in the forest," he grumbled. "What was it before you converted it to your shrine?"

But, the building was not something he was really concerned about. The man had already said there were elven building throughout the area. The founders probably through the temple was in a convenient spot to build their town around. There were other things Spike wanted to know, Things that made him angry.

"You were here when the dragon came? Didn't anyone in your town oppose it?" Spike started to get worked up again. This was something he couldn't wrap his head around. "What happens where there are wolves? Or bandits? You don't have a town watch, or a militia?"

Spike looked over at the symbol of Pelor on the altar. Does this god favor peace over all else? The dwarf couldn't understand the concept. He turned back to Cecil and asked, "And you... You're an old one, but clerics have strong magic. Couldn't you conjure something to put down the beast?" He shook his head with incomprehension. How could theses folks be so cowardly?


Stat Block
 


Last edited by Huhart; 11-05-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB