twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5785
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
It seemed the kobold would be staying with the guard captain for the time being...Naskan would have just as well seen the retched beast put down once they had gleaned what they could from it.

"Well then, if this is where the kobold is to be kept...then that issue would seem to be resolved. The next issue is the whereabouts of the ranger Jonah. I suggest we see if he has arrived at the inn or an evening nightcap and if not, venture out to his domicile. His insight into the whereabouts of more elven ruins is imperative."

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Last edited by tomplum; 11-29-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 AM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9046
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike sneered at the kobold, and Nora and Ash as well. "Are ye gonna find jobs fer all them kobolds? And feed em too?" He shook his head in disgust. The creature was pathetic. One kobold alone was a nuisance. A pack of them were dangerous. He hoped his soft-hearted companions understood this when it came time to exterminate the lot of them.

To Tallis Ebbing, he was more cordial. "It's good to see one person in this town who's willing to fight instead of run and hide. Is there something we can do to help you?"

Stat Block

Old 11-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1459
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Kaspar Thorngage Kaspar followed the group into the jail house. He started to greet his traveling companion Spike, but seeing the scornful look he cast at them and their prisoner, he quelled his instinct. Naskan seemed to dismiss the kobold as soon as they reached the holding cells which, given his reaction at the first gate, shouldn't have come as a surprise. With Ash standing in the doorway and Spike and Naskan talking with Ebbing, the tiefling caught Nora's eye.

"You want to start or should I?"

Actions

stat block

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2966
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
"Grak and I can speak at greater length here," says Nora. "I wouldn't mind your assistance, Kaspar, and two of us might remember the conversation better than one. The rest of you really needn't remain," she adds more loudly, to the group - but with a particularly withering glance in Spike's direction. "I doubt it will take all of us to get the answers we need."

"Go and see about Jonah the ranger," she adds, nodding to Naskan. "He's as likely to have useful information as Grak here. Besides, I'm a bit concerned to hear that a seasoned ranger is late in coming home with game. Someone should make certain he's come home at all... after all, there are worse thing wandering these woods than kobolds."

"Now, Grak..." she says, kneeling beside the caged and leashed kobold, her voice gentle and solicitous, "Why don't you tell us more about you and your people. How long have they followed Cathrax? Did they follow him here to Foxdale, or have you dwelt here all along? And what about these others... the lizards and crockos and so forth. Where did they come from?"

Old 11-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Ash ignores Nora's request for him to leave and remains in the doorway.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5785
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Naskan sighed and stopped in the doorway. There little group hadn't been together a long time but already he could see small cracks forming in their unity. There was a tension in the air between Nora, Kaspar and Ash and Spike's demeanor seemed to be grating on some of the group as well. He saw Kaspar's look at the dwarf in regards to the kobold. Truth be told, even Naskan's own reaction to the scaly wretch had been less than supportive. If Nora, Kaspar and Ash wished to interrogate the creature and even spare its life...perhaps he should stand with them in their decision.

"The ranger can wait. I will remain here while the kobold, Grak, is questioned."

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 PM
No Superman.Only Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
FoxdaleNaskan thought it might be a good idea for some of them to interrogate Grak while the rest go and determine the whereabouts of the ranger Jonah. In the end, everyone decides to stay back and witness what the little kobold has to say. In the grimy little cell at the back of the guard house, the adventurers stand around the subject in a circle, with the guard captain and Spike to one side. It is now night proper. Outside, the streets are forsaken. Only sound now comes from within the tavern.

The kobold, his hunger satiated, licks the blood off his scaly paws. He appears reassured by Nora's calm voice. He answers, "We kobolds live in forest long time. Summer Shield is home. Hurek is great glorious leader. Hurek not kobold. But Hurek kobold kin. Big and strong. Hurek defeat ogre and make ogre do guard duty. Hurek friend crockos. Crockos live in pools inside fort. Big, scary teeth. Hide in water. Then jump out like Hisssssssss and bite you! We live in forest. Make tunnel. Find wife. No bother human. Many food in forest. Uh Oh! Hungry again! You have more rat?" Grak looks longingly towards Ash standing at the doorway.

The kobold pauses a moment, as if revelling in the good old days. Then it continues, "Then one day, Hurek call all kobold to Shield. All clan. Tenty ten abouts. This not long back. We stand in yard. Hurek say our god has arrived. Now we follow Cathrax, the supreme leader. Hurek say go patrol human village. So I come here. Hurek send many kobold to mountain. Send Grak wife also. Rest stay in fort, guarding. Not no what. But many guards outside one door with stone flowers." The kobold looks up to the ceilling and thinks for a while. Then it says, "No more Grak know. Grak be good kobold. Grak get rat?"

Off to one side of the cell, when Spike asks Tallis if there is something they could do to help him, the old veteran replies, "Well, you have your task cut out. However, if you can find the time, perhaps there is something you could help me with. I have been trying to train the young men and women of the village to fight. Hold a weapon, at least. We cannot depend on outsiders to take care of our problems every time. Alas, it has not been going well. It's just me. And I am not known for my patience. If you could teach these whipper snappers a thing or two about fighting, I would be grateful. I don't know how much somwthing like that costs. So you tell me if you would like to get paid for your services and how much. I will wrangle something."

DM for To Slay a Dragon

Last edited by undeadrajib; 12-03-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Ash listens to Grak's story patiently - having no reason to disbelieve anything he says. When he mentions the rat, the warlock averts his gaze to pretend he didn't catch it. When the kobold is done speaking, he chimes in.

So Cathrax is in the mountains somewhere, not at Summer Shield. Have you seen or spoken to your wife since she left for the mountains? Do you know the general direction she was sent off in?

Once the kobold is finished answering this query, the warlock continues.

And where is Summer Shield? What can you tell us about its layout? Is there a second entrance so we can avoid confrontation with the ogre? A way to the door with stone flowers to avoid Hurek and the pool of crockos?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2802
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
During the interrogation of Grak, Lothar sat back and listened with a mildly amused ear. If the others wanted to feed and pet the little creature, they could have at it. The man was used to wielding his axe and not really caring much for what they had to say. But, everyone had their preferences.

Standing by Spike, however, the man overheard the conversation with Tallis. This intrigued him quite a bit. " You're right! These <ahem> men could use a little training. From what we saw in the square, they are quick to use their tongues, but too shy to use their arms. I am sure between Spike and I, we could show them the proper way to hold and swing an axe. What do ya say, Spike?"

Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike nodded as Lothar offered to help train the minions. "I'll help train 'em. And I don't need yer gold either. We'll be rich enough off the dragon's hoard. But I ain't got the patience for it either. And time is short. Maybe Naskan could help too?"

The battlerager stroked his beard as his feeble brain tried to think of a quick way to get these villagers up to snuff. He was distracted by Ash rattling off a bunch of questions to the kobold. One thing caught his fancy. "I ain't never fought an ogre before. Sounds like fun!"

Spike started to pantomime his imaginary fight with the ogre. He noticed Tallis was looking at him strangely. "Eh? Where was I? Maybe we show these folks how to use a bow and arrow. Or throw a spear, or even use a sling. They might be less fearful if they don't have to do close fighting." He looked to Lothar and Naskan for their opinions.

Stat Block

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
"I would know more of this 'Hurek,'" says Nora, when Grak has answered Ash's questions. "Big and strong enough to defeat and tame an ogre, not a kobold, but kin to them... what does that make him? Kobolds are said to be the distant kin of dragons..."

She turns to Grak. "Grak... is Hurek like Naskan, over there?" she asks, indicating the dragonborn paladin. "Or is he something else?"

A dragonborn would make a certain amount of sense as the petty tyrant of a clan of kobolds. Nora knew little of dragonborn, but she doubted that they were all as noble as Naskan. Dragons could be creatures of boundless virtue or unfathomable evil, and their kin were, presumably, no different.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 PM
No Superman.Only Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Foxdale"No talk to wife. Grak sad. They go through forest. Grak never in mountain. So Grak not know path", the kobold answers Ash, his eyes still pleading the warlock for food. "Fort inside forest. Far from humans. Mountain wall on back side. Mountain wall on right side. Left side is falling water. Front side is river. One bridge. Troll on bridge." It uses its bound up hands to explain the layout. "No other path inside. Or may be is. Many places in fort kobold not know, or understand. Many door with stone flower. But door with guard up stairs."

The kobold looks up at Nora, then looks at Naskan. For some time. Squinting. Then it silently nods its head. "Like him, but more... red. Uh, when you find Grak wife, can you not kill please?", it says, Suddenly. "Her name be Tix. Look like me. We be cousins."

Tallis nods his head at Lothar and Spike's response. Though, when he sees Spike's antics, his eyes narrow a bit. He says, "Great. That's settled, then. I have the runts gather up in the training yard in the mornings and evenings. They mostly laze around, like a bunch of indolent oafs. Whenever you have the time, come in there and give them some tips. You will have my help and support for whatever you need to do while you are here." Eyeing the group, he adds, "Unless they end up worse than they already are."

Upon hearing Grak's description of fort Summershield, the old soldier speaks up. "Jonah is the only person to have ever seen this ancient elven fort. He will be able to show you the way, or even lead you there. I wonder if he is alright though. I mean, he is more than capable of holding his own, along with his wolves. But you never know."

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Old 12-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ash nods at the kobold's answers, but doesn't respond further to the creature - and continues to overtly ignore the sad eyed pleas for more rat catching. Once Grak is done, the warlock turns to the rest of the group.

It seems the creature has expended the depths of its knowledge - and, thus, its usefulness.

His eyes fix on Nora. The correct next action for Ash was to kill the whelp, but he wasn't in the mood to argue the point - and Tallis had already warned against shedding blood in his jail... making an enemy of the old man would be illogical. At least the possibility of it escaping was vastly reduced with the accommodations that Tallis procured for it. Confident in that, at a minimum, Ash continued - this time responding to Tallis' statement.

It seems you've said on more than one occasion now that Jonah would be the answer to all our ails. Perhaps it is time we have made our acquaintance with him.

His emotionless gaze drifted towards Naskan.

Did the priest know of his whereabouts?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Duck and Cover

Tools
User Statistics
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
"I couldn't agree more," Nora agrees, her voice all forced cheer despite the palpable coldness with which she meets Ash's emotionless gaze before looking away. "We need to find this ranger if we want to know more of Summer Shield or its environs."

"As to this Hurek..." she adds, a little smile curling her lip as she looks Naskan up and down appraisingly, "I've a bit of an idea. But one matter at a time... let us find the ranger."

Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike glared at Grak in amazement. "What's he think we're gonna do? Ask 'Hey, any of you named Tix?' before we go and slaughter them?" he gasped with incredulity. He looked at Nora and Ash, hoping one of them would understand his position. Nora seemed sympathetic toward the kobold. Ash appeared not to care. Spike did not care for magic-users, in general. But, when it came to kobold elimination, he knew Ash would be on his side.

But, the others reminding him that they did not know where the enemy was located. Apparently, the missing ranger did. After a long day of hiking, Spike was kind of tired out for the day. But, he did have a good meal. And he had blown off some steam by having a fit over the inadequacy of the villagers. So, he supposed he was up to searching in the dark of night for some lost hermit. "The priest told us to look for him in the tavern. But no one had seen him there," he answered the question of Johan's whereabouts.

"Maybe while we're out searching for him, we can find more dog-faces to ... interview," he added. Spike intended to interview them with the business end of his axe.

Stat Block