RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > To Slay a Dragon
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #301  
Old 12-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,682
As the group exits the town into the dead of night, the warlock telepathically commands his familiar to his shoulder so that he may commune with it to see through its "eyes" - the warlock not having the ability to see in the dark through his own means. It is in this way that he observes the scene at the small hut.

It appears we were correct to not dally.

Wordlessly, he enters back into his own senses and then sends his familiar off towards the watchtower.

The trails goes two ways. Let us examine the closer of the pair for now. By the time we are done, my familiar should be back with intelligence on the second route.

With this, the warlock walks - much slower and less confidently now that he is forced to use his own eyes to traverse the dark - towards the door to the hut. He moves to the side of the entry, positions himself so that he can peer in from an angle without being a sitting duck should someone from the inside be launching projectiles out, and slowly creaks open the door from slightly ajar to fully open.
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 12-17-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Spinrad's Avatar
Spinrad Spinrad is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 1459
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Posts: 2,531
Kaspar Thorngage Taking in the scene, Kaspar draws his sword, padding quietly as he can towards the door, peering into the darkness for signs of ambush or danger.


Actions
 


stat block
 
__________________
~ Oathtaker ~
Bugger this. I want a better world. - Warren Ellis, The Authority
Baern Stonecrop - Dungeon Dive (always recruiting!) | Draxon Yarrow - The West Marches [B]
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Duck and Cover
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 2966
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 1,976
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image

Nora crouches, setting an arrow to her bowstring and looking about warily, her elven eyes narrowed to spot any movement in the treeline while her comrades investigate the abandoned shack. She'd not had time enough to look close enough to see whether the bloody trail led into the shack, or away from it and toward the watchtower, but they'd know soon enough. In the meanwhile, the druid keeps her eyes keen and her bow drawn, looking for any sign of danger from the woods. Her long ears twitch imperceptibly as she attunes them to the green song running through the forest, alert to any subtle warning it might provide.


Actions
Keeping an eye out for trouble:
Dice Perception:
1d20+5 (17)+5 Total = 22

Dice Guidance:
1d4 3

25 - If an ant stubs its toe anywhere in those woods, I notice.


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 12-17-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Huhart's Avatar
Huhart Huhart is offline
Foolish Mortal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 9046
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Posts: 3,542
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike grumbled to himself when his heavy-handed tactics failed to coerce Ash to his way of thinking. "Yer magic tricks don't scare me none either..." he mumbled, well out of the warlock's earshot. One thing the man said took hold in the battlerage's mind. 'I would explain the rationale, but fear the words would be wasted.' Fancy words, but Spike eventually figured out their meaning; he wouldn't understand Ash's reason for doing what he did. It occurred to him that this might be the reason the whole group was in conflict. They were such a diverse group or races and cultures that no one understood the others point of view. Spike vowed to be more understanding of the other's opinions in the future.

Then they arrived at the ranger's hut and he forgot all about it.

Something had happened here. Nora pointed out the blood and the trails leading to the hut and the tower. Weapons were drawn as the group approached the hut. Spike's greataxe was, as always, at the ready as he took up a position by Kaspar near the door. If anything came through the door, he would slaughter it!

But wait, was he supposed to kill stuff, or not? The debate had gone round and round, but what was the final say? The dwarf was confused. Spike decided the best thing to do was to compromise. If anything came through the door, he would injure it ... severly!

Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 2802
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 1,830
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
Though his stomach protested, Lothar decided to follow the others through the western gate. The moonlit sky, however, provided little light for him to navigate, so he just followed the footsteps of the dwarf. Spike's hair was a beacon of shimmering white in the starry night.

As they approached the supposed ranger's hut, alarm bells rung in Lothar's mind. There was trouble here, as some of the others mentioned a trail of blood leading to and away from the hut. He gripped his axe tightly.

"I can't see a damned thing. Can one of you light my axe? It sure would be a lot easier chopping off heads that way."
Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Posting Status (February): Multiple times per workday (M-F); Maybe once to none on weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 12-19-2018, 02:31 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is offline
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,291
Outside the West GateThe sight of the patch of drying blood and the trails leading away from it puts the group into high alert immediately. While Nora watches the treeline, her bow string taut, Ash and Kaspar approach the cabin door. Spike and Lothar wait just outside, their weapons ready to take down whatever rushes out of the hut. Ash pushes the door open..... aaand, nothing happens. Nothing jumps out. Kaspar, after his eyes adjust to the pitch darkness inside the shack, peers in. He can make out the accoutrements of a modest hunting lodge. There is a shape lying on the floor, much too large to be a person. It appears completely still. There is a pool of dark liquid, presumably blood, forming to one side of it. There is no other movement.

Outside, Nora watches. If there was a butterfly fluttering its wings somewhere, she would have noticed it. Except there is no movement anywhere. The air seems to grow heavy in its stillness. Away from the gates and right next to the immense forest, it feels as if they have entered another world. Something... primeval. Nora waits, and watches. Nothing happens.
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 12-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,682
Without benefit of his bat's 'vision', Ash can't see into the hut. Once it was certain that nothing was going to spring out to attack, the warlock glanced over at the tiefling next to him.

What do you see?
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 12-19-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Spinrad's Avatar
Spinrad Spinrad is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 1459
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Posts: 2,531
Kaspar Thorngage"Large, amorphous shape. Too big to be a humanoid. But it's in a pool of dark liquid. Can't tell if it's blood in this dimness." Kaspar whispers to the warlock, any quarrel between them forgotten in the heightened focus of the situation.

He casts his eyes around the room, wary of hidden assailants, before edging into the room.


Actions
 


stat block
 
__________________
~ Oathtaker ~
Bugger this. I want a better world. - Warren Ellis, The Authority
Baern Stonecrop - Dungeon Dive (always recruiting!) | Draxon Yarrow - The West Marches [B]
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 12-21-2018, 02:29 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 5785
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,065
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Naskan had relaxed his grip on his maul until he heard Kaspar mention the amorphous blob in the blood.

"What the devil is that supposed to mean?"

Feeling that whatever danger had been wasn't so pressing in the present, the dragonborn lit a torch to illuminate the area and the grisly scene.








oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 12-23-2018, 01:50 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is offline
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,291
Peril at the cabinKaspar, who was slowly edging into the cabin, is blinded momentarily when Naskan lights up a torch. After his eyes adjust, he sees that the liquid pooling beside the unmoving mass is indeed blood. And there is a lot of it. Next to the pool is a creature with white fur, matted with blood. The tiefling gingerly approaches, casting his eyes around the room. There is no movement, or perceivable threat.

The room contains a solitary cot, a couple of stools, and a small work table. A variety of trophies from slain beasts adorn the otherwise spartan walls. As the bard circles around the body, bleeding into the rugs strewn on the wooden floor, he can finally make out what it is. It is a wolf. A rather large one. Lying dead on the floor, with its throat slit.

Outside, Nora, who still has all of her senses primed and focused, hears something extremely faint. A rasping, scratching kind of sound. Coming from the watchtower.
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 12-23-2018, 05:52 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Duck and Cover
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 2966
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 1,976
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image

"Psst!" Nora hisses at Ash under her breath, keeping her bow drawn but carefully avoiding directly looking at the tower. "Did you hear that? Something is up there in that watchtower... something or someone." She motions slightly with the tip of her drawn arrow. "Don't let on that we've noticed it. Send your bat to have a look."




 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 12-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,682
Ash nodded in the direction of Nora's comment.

He has been en route to there for some time. Let me see if his return is imminent.

With this, the warlock begins to focus on his telepathic linkage with his familiar - in an attempt to see if the bat is close to returning or still beyond the range of their link.

OOC to DMThe bat was sent out before we started investigating the house. I'm not sure how much time elapse that has been. Either way, unless someone runs off towards the watchtower, I think it is probably safe to say that we'll wait for its return before heading that way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is offline
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 5425
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,291
Peril at the cabinBat, the bat flies towards the tower. After its survey of the situation, it starts relaying information back to its master once it is back within a hundred feet.



OODMWhoops! I missed the OOC portion of Ag's post. My bad! Plus there was the whole holiday/new year stuff. Sorry about the delay, folks!
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-31-2018, 10:37 PM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 3015
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,682
As his familiar returns to within the range of their telepathic link, the warlock wastes little time in relaying the message.

It seems the ranger we seek is besieged by kobolds. He is fighting for his life - and may not have much of the latter left from the looks of him. Let us hurry so that we may attempt to ask the creatures nicely to allow him to live.

The warlock smirked at Nora - if the druid didn't know better of the stoic Ash she may have thought he was being playful - as he began heading for the tower at a quickened gait.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2019
RPXP: 5785
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,065
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
With the news that the ranger was surrounded by kobolds with malicious intent, the dragonborn stifled a comment about the innocence of the beasts and charged toward the tower letting out a battle cry with two-fold intent. One was that the primal exhilaration of battle occasionally required a verbal outburst to fully goad the body into putting itself directly into harm's way and the other was that hopefully some of the kobolds would notice the new threat and peel themselves off the ranger to face the paladin.








oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB