RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > To Slay a Dragon
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #331  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Huhart's Avatar
Huhart Huhart is online now
Foolish Mortal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 9530
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Posts: 3,620
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
An arrow struck Spike squarely in the check. The dwarf barely even grunted. He pulled out the shaft and threw it on the ground as if it were of no consequence. A deep grumbling began in his chest which turned into a screaming roar which made Naskan's battle cry seem like the mewing of a kitten. His eyes bulged and froth appeared on the edges of his mouth. Those who knew him backed away. Spike had entered the battle rage.

The barbarian sprinted into the woods where he had last caught a glimpse of the enemy. Spike saw a shadow which he assumed was the bad guy. He swung wildly, but caught only air. His axe blade continued on and struck the trunk of a tree with a large bang. The tree shook and a cascade of leaves came tumbling down.

"Come out and die!" he screamed into the night, as he tried to pull his axe free.

Stat Block
 

ActionsSuccess on poison save.
Perception: 5; disadvantage on attack.
Bonus action: RAGE!
Action: Move toward unknown assailant and attack wildly. (Critical miss)
ROLLS

Last edited by Huhart; 01-07-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3655
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 2,337
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
Pure mayhem erupted all around the hulking man. The dragonborn was hurt badly and his dwarven companion was flailing around like a cat with its tail cut off. He grabbed his axe and moved into the trees to assault the unknown sniper. Utilizing the bat, he squinted his eyes and looked into the trees. All he saw was the blackness of the night. He did not know what to do except to get closer and prepare himself for whatever came his way.

Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Posting Status (April): Multiple times per workday (M-F); Maybe once to none on weekends.

Last edited by Shaede; 01-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is online now
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 5731
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,471
Peril at the cabinNora's keen senses fail her this time, as she is only able to perceive the general location of the unknown assailant. As a result, her shot falls way off the mark. However, she emphasizes to Kaspar the importance of healing the ranger bleeding out on top of the tower nearby. The bard responds by using the last of his magical energy to send forth a burst of healing energy towards Jonah. He doesn't know for sure whether it worked. In the mean time, he picks out a shadowy creature among the trees and assaults it... with rhyme. Once again, it is difficult to say for sure whether it worked, but there is a faint grunting noise that emanates from the forest. Naskan, meanwhile, has no choice but to restore some health to himself. He does spot the enemy though. It is something small, shifty.

Ash, unable to pinpoint the location of the enemy, instead tries a different tactic. He expends a significant amount of his magical ability to produce an effect that he hoped wound compel the foe to come out of hiding. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like his spell had any effect. In the mean time, he commands Bat to fly towards the creature and harry it enough to create an opening for someone else.

Lothar decides to use the bat to help determine the position of the enemy. After all, if the bat has found it, all he needs to do is find the bat. However, it does not work, and the mountain born finds himself stranded among the trees, not knowing which way an arrow is going to come through. He is joined there by Spike, who, after shrugging off an arrow, enters into a state of unbridled fury. It is a sight to behold! If the others thought he was angry before, well... The dwarf runs into the forest and swings his axe wildly. All it catches is a tree. The weapon is driven halfway through the trunk. Spike yanks it free and gets ready for another attack with a almighty roar.

Suddenly, two arrows fly out towards the fighter and the barbarian in the forest. Despite some psychic damage the perpetrator might have endured before, both find their mark, injuring the pair rather grievously. The small, shadowy creature then once more attempts to disappear into the darkness. But this time its efforts are not as successful.


 
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon

Last edited by undeadrajib; 01-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Spinrad's Avatar
Spinrad Spinrad is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 1655
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Posts: 2,752
Kaspar Thorngage Stepping away from his cover, Kaspar continues his verbal abuse of the small creature, realizing that his words and magic may the best he can contribute in lieu of access to any other longer range weapon. As he moves cautiously into the woods to join Spike and Lothar, his rhyming continues:

"Come forward submit,
That I may insult you, you little spit.
I'd insult your mother and her duff,
but you were obviously insult enough.
"



Actions
 


stat block
 
__________________
~ Oathtaker ~
Bugger this. I want a better world. - Warren Ellis, The Authority
Baern Stonecrop - Dungeon Dive (always recruiting!) | Draxon Yarrow - The West Marches [B]

Last edited by Spinrad; 01-09-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 01-09-2019, 03:26 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 6580
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,586
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Naskan groaned as he saw his ally's ineffectual attacks one after another. Whatever it was in the shadows was toying with them. A kobold, no doubt, but it was a tricky one.

Rushing forward toward where he had spotted their enemy, he opted against bashing its head in with his maul and instead spread his arms wide in an
Dice grapple check:
1d20+3 (18)+3 Total = 21
attempt to wrangle the creature.








oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
Ash waited for the creature to respond to his command - surveying the trees from his prone position for the creature to show itself. It never did; however, and the nonplussed warlock got himself up, brushed himself off and glared into the forest once more

Dice perception:
1d20+2 (17)+2 Total = 19


Finally, the warlock spotted the shifty sharpshooter and readied himself to attack. A bolt of dark energy roiled in his palm as he waited until bat was in position to distract before loosing. Once he saw the former take place, he commenced with the latter - launching the magical projectile into the trees and at the foe.

Dice atk:
2d20+5kh1 (2, 4 (keeping 4) )+5 Total = 9

Dice dmg:
1d10 8


But even despite his familiar's best efforts in assistance, the warlock saw his bolt sail wide and slam hard into a tree. With a sour expression, Ash dropped back prone to the ground once more.

turnMovement: Stand up (15 ft movement) and then fall back prone after action
Action: Eldritch blast on opponent
Bat action/movement: Provide help to Ash's attack by distracting opponent
__________________

Last edited by Agrudez; 01-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Huhart's Avatar
Huhart Huhart is online now
Foolish Mortal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 9530
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Posts: 3,620
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
In this midst of his raging, Spike all but ignored a second arrow to the chest. The pain only fueled his anger. The poison might as well be water, as his dwarven blood effectively neutralized it. He heard a dull ringing as another arrow pierced Lothar's heavy armor. An inkling of a thought managed to penetrate his frenzied mind, Is there more than one of them?

But the one had made a grave error. It had failed to hide from the dwarf. A battle cry exploded from his lips as he raised his axe. Naskan foolishly was trying to wrestle with the creature. Spike didn't care. His axeblade whistled inches from the dragonborn's snout as it cut into the shadow creature's shoulder. There were few that could survive such a grievous wound.

"Goodbye, pest," he spat at the thing.

Stat Block
 

ActionsSuccess on poison save.
Rage round 2
Action: Attack: 17, damage: 16.
ROLLS
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3284
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,117
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image

Nora flinched back from the renewed volley of arrows out of the forest shadows, wincing as several of them struck her compatriots. That can't be only one kobold, or even two, she thought. Kobolds were little cowards, brave only when they had numbers and dishonorable tricks on their side. To have worked up the nerve to attack the ranger, let alone to stick around and fight against all of them, there must be a whole gang of the things in the trees, set to pepper them with poisoned arrows and then fade away into the shadows.

A little faerie fire wouldn't have gone amiss just now, she thought, bitterly regretting using the last of her magic to snare Grak and his unlucky friend, when Kaspar's spell alone would have managed just fine. Wasteful. Reckless. Of course, if she'd heeded her elders and waited another century or so before venturing out into the world...

...then this lot would all be dead, for want of anyone sensible about, she thought huffily. There would be plenty of time for second-guessing once they'd survived this night.

For now, they had to get the ranger out of here - all of this would be for naught if they let him die now. Breaking cover, Nora scrambled nimbly up the ladder to reach the wounded man, crouching beside him on the watchtower platform and getting his arm over her shoulder.

"Can you climb?" she murmured urgently, meeting the ranger's eyes. "We've got to get out of here... get you back to Foxdale. Come on."


ActionsDash to make it up the ladder (and to the cover of the platform) in a single turn.


 
__________________
In Pre-Production: The Return to Karredral.
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 01-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3655
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 2,337
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
His blasted human eyes failed him, and Lothar attempted to prepare for any incoming missiles. However, he was too slow to act, and an arrow out of the darkness found its way into his flesh. He roared out in pain as the poisoned arrow took hold. It seeped into his blood and burned him from the inside as it coursed through his veins. He had no chance to fight it, and he fell to the ground in a loud thump.

Lothar's vision went black as he fell into unconsciousness.

Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Posting Status (April): Multiple times per workday (M-F); Maybe once to none on weekends.

Last edited by Shaede; 01-10-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM
undeadrajib's Avatar
undeadrajib undeadrajib is online now
No Superman.Only Blaviken
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 5731
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Posts: 2,471
Peril at the cabinKaspar lays thick another stanza of his insult poetry upon the enemy, while advancing towards the forest. While the bard certainly looks badass, this time it doesn't seem to have the intended effect. Ash squints his eyes enough to spot the assailant finally, more by sound than sight. He let loose a bolt of flame. Instead of hitting the unknown archer, it barely misses Bat before slamming into the same tree that was chopped halfway through by Spike. The tree old oak is now perilously close to falling. The warlock hears his familiar's voice inside his head go, "Whoa! Almost had me there, boss!"

Nora breaks cover and scrambles up the ladder, finding a burst of speed that propels her to the top of the watchtower in an instant. She finds the ranger having taken cover behind the railings around the small, 4'◊4' platform. There are a couple of bloodied arrows on the floor. He appears hurt. But some of his wounds seem to have closed, probably because of Kaspar's timely incantation. In the meagre light, Nora can make out that Jonah is an older man, perhaps in his fifties. He has a thick grey beard and long hair tied back with a bandana. In response to her query, the hunter says in a deep, raspy voice, "Too risky. Sniper in the woods. Came after me. Can't be exposed."

Out in the woods, Naskan decides to rush the assailant and grab him. And so he does, lifting the squirming creature up in his large, scaly arms. It is a kobold indeed. But different from others they have seen. Leaner and taller. And clad in crafted leather armor, as opposed to scrounged. As the kobold struggles to free himself, Spike runs forward and cuts into its shoulder with a tremendous strike, his blade squleching into meat and bone. Behind them, however, Lothar fights with the strong poison that laced the arrow sticking out of his arm, and loses. The same poison the the dwarf shrugged off twice, fells the mountain of a man, and the fighter falls to the ground.

The kobold that fell him threshes around in Naskan's arms, to try and break free. It manages to wriggle out. But instead of falling to the ground, the kobold sprouts two leathery wings on its back, and starts flying up and away from the group of fighters gathered around its frail body. Its face shows signs of panic. Clearly, it is not ready to fight head on at close range. As it moves away, a thin voice is heard, saying, "Next time!"


 
__________________
Lorela | Jatayu | Bryllyn | Quest | Kavakan

DM for To Slay a Dragon

Last edited by undeadrajib; 01-11-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 AM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3284
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,117
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image

Hearing the commotion at the treeline below, Nora left the ranger where he was and darts to the watchtower rail, just in time to spot the winged kobold darting away through the trees. The shot was nearly impossible - poor light, quick-moving target, the cover of the foliage - but Nora tried it nonetheless, snapping off an arrow. Predictably, it didn't even come close, sailing into the darkness well clear of the fleeing kobold.

Nora cursed in frustration... and then cursed all the more floridly upon looking down beneath the tower and spotting Lothar collapsed with an arrow in his chest. "Stay there," she snapped at the ranger as she hurried past, reaching the ladder and sliding down as fast as she dared to hurry to his side.


 


 
__________________
In Pre-Production: The Return to Karredral.
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
13/13

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 01-11-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Agrudez's Avatar
Agrudez Agrudez is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 3361
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Posts: 9,905
Ash glared at the fleeing kobold and instructed bat to tail him. Once his familiar was in position, the warlock loosed another bolt of dark energy.

Dice atk:
2d20+5kh1 (19, 7 (keeping 19) )+5 Total = 24

Dice dmg:
1d10 7
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Shaede's Avatar
Shaede Shaede is online now
Master of None
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 3655
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Posts: 2,337
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
Blackness everywhere. Behind his closed eyes, Lothar started to slip further and further into the pool of pure blackness that is death. The poison had took hold and hoped to claim him. His memories came rushing back to him.

Lothar saw himself as a young boy with his fellow clansmen. His father had just returned from a hunt, and he managed to secure a mighty elk with twelve points. It was enough meat to feed them for a week, and Lothar was so excited. He wanted to go with his father on the next one. He so badly wanted to live up to his expectations. If only he had the chance.

It was a peaceful memory, and one that he wanted to stay in. Death was peace, and that gave him comfort.

Actions
 
Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Posting Status (April): Multiple times per workday (M-F); Maybe once to none on weekends.

Last edited by Shaede; 01-11-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 6580
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 5,586
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
The dragonborn had managed to grab the slippery kobold but was unable to keep it grappled. As it slipped away into the forest, Naskan pulled a javelin from his back and let it
Dice javelin attack:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
fly
Dice damage:
1d6+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
toward the escaping foe.








oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions
 


Stat Block
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Huhart's Avatar
Huhart Huhart is online now
Foolish Mortal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 9530
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Posts: 3,620
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike was amazed the kobold was still alive, much less able to fend off Naskan and fly away. But it must die for taking Lothar down. He dropped his axe and pulled the javelin from his pack. With another of his bellowing battle cries, his javelin followed Ash's energy bolt toward its target.

Stat Block
 

Actions
Dice Javelin Attack:
1d20+5 (15)+5 Total = 20
Dice Damage:
1d6+3 (2)+3 Total = 5

Last edited by Huhart; 01-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB