Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > To Slay a Dragon
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3919
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Ash's lips curl with curiosity at the story of the elven cannibalism. His eyes drift instinctively to Nora as he pondered whether such magic would allow a short lived race the lifespan of an elf. His mind then began to dance as he contemplated all of the books he could read and research he could complete if his mortality was increased by an order of magnitude. The warlock made a note to ask Cecil about the ranger's story to see if he could glean anything else about this tall tale - though he didn't relish the idea of having to go to a place of divine worship for the discussion. As the ranger finished what it was he had to say to the group and then disappeared, Ash rolled his eyes. Delays upon delays. He sighed.

I suppose anything productive must wait until the morning, then.

His eyes drifted around the town - not really knowing what it was he was looking for. It was probably too unsafe to camp beyond the walls by his lonesome tonight with kobold assassin squads bandying about. So, as much as he disliked the idea, it seemed he would have to find lodgings here. He just hoped he could find somewhere relatively secluded and free from disturbances. Once he was done scanning the town, his gaze returned to the group - a tinge of curiosity as to what they might be doing now. At a minimum, the warlock needed to know where to meet them in the morning.

OOC to DMIf the group is turning in for the night, Ash will skulk around looking for a crevice to be by himself in for the night. If they plan to do something else, he'll go see Cecil about the story.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3936
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Lelianora Nethiren
left-aligned image
Nora rolled her eyes at the ranger's lurid and fanciful story. Humans had as little understanding of the elves as the elves had of them, it seemed. Humans, with their fleeting lives and the weight of mortality pressing always at their minds, might find such a yarn plausible. But an elven queen might live for a thousand years, with her beauty scarcely dimmed until she drew near death. The idea that all those centuries of life and wisdom would end in petty, murderous jealousy... Nora shook her head. What a human way to think.

Still, whatever its origins, she'd no doubt that something lurked in the skies, and they'd be well advised to keep an eye aloft. The ranger might have funny ideas about history and even funnier ideas about elven queens, but he knew this forest and its denizens better than any of them. They'd braved too great a peril in saving him to ignore what he had to say now.

The ranger had plenty more to say besides, about the kobolds, about Fort Summershield and its other inhabitants, and about the other elven ruins that dotted the forest. All of that had to be examined, and their course carefully considered... but it could wait for the morrow. Nora was exhausted, her magic expended... and she'd had to say a funeral prayer to the Green twice in the last day, which was two times more than she'd had to say it in the last decade or so. Her fight with Naskan still hung over the party as well. She'd spoken rather harshly to the paladin, gotten rather more heated than she'd meant to... and in their hurry to check on the ranger, they'd never had the chance to properly settle the issue. And after what had happened at the ranger's, it seemed less likely than ever that her comrades would consider a course that didn't involve slaughtering all the kobolds. They might even be right.

That could wait for morning, too. Nora hadn't the stomach for it now.

"Until the morning, then," she agreed curtly, hurrying off to the inn without meeting anyone else's gaze. She meant to be in her own room, with the door barred and a bottle of the best excuse for wine the humans could come up with in hand, before anyone could speak to her.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7726
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Naskan thanked Jonah for the information and assured him that he looked forward to meeting again in the morning for the making of a map.

The dragonborn helped Lothar back to the inn and saw that he was fed and given water.

Laughing, Naskan commented, "I suppose it is true that when the mightiest trees fall in the forest, they make a loud thump. To think something so small as an arrow could down such a tree as yourself. We will have to be careful. Hopefully an antitoxin can be found. But those are troubles for tomorrow. Let us find some rest."

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Foolish Mortal

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10259
Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart Huhart
Spike Scoria
right-aligned image
Spike was busy admiring his lucky javelin. He hefted it in his hand, reliving the moment he had thrown it at the flying kobold. The shaft had been stained by the kobold's blood, leaving a mottled pattern. Spike decided to keep it like that. It looked cool. He hadn't thought much of the weapon until now. He preferred his greataxe. The javelin was just a back-up. But now he considered the weapon to have greater value.

As usual, the distraction caused him to miss much of what was going on. Lothar was back on his feet. The wolf was buried. The ranger was telling stories of elves. Spike took a good look at the man for the first time. "Hold on, I know you!" He told Jonah. "Before I met these folks. I was travelling alone. You shared your fire with me... made fun of my iron rations. That was you, wasn't it? What a small world this is."

He let the ranger go as he seemed to have pressing business. Spike helped Lothar back to the inn. "It's too bad you don't have heroes blood like me, big feller," Spike told Lothar, "Dwarves are all but immune to poison. You can't poison a rock, so the saying goes."

Spike looked down at his chest and realized his shirt was stained with his own blood. He'd been hit twice by the arrows. Now that his adrenaline rush was wearing off, he was beginning to feel the pain. Spike touched his wounds gingerly. "I think I might need to lay down..." he mumbled.

Stat Block

Old 01-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2075
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Kaspar Thorngage As they walked, listening to the ranger, Kapsar took in all he could of the man's responses. Eleven betrayal? Cannibalism? Fodder, perhaps for a new song. Or at least a ribald rhyme, he thought tiredly. He welcomed the relief as Naskan and Spike each took one of Lothar's arms around their shoulders. The mountain man was much bigger than himself and strength was never his... well, strong suit. He smiled grimly to himself, realizing the exhaustion was taking his mind, as he'd never stoop to such a base pun.

Later, after Nora disappeared up to her room at the tavern and the warriors were all seated and feasting, Ash off to wherever he and his bat had skulked off to, Kaspar thankfully drained a flagon of wine and motioned for the bar maid to bring another, his feet resting on the tavern's hearth and the remains of his dinner on a plate to the side as he stared into the flames.

He didn't notice the instrument in his hands or that his tuning the lute was attracting sidelong glances. He didn't think about the tune or the rhythm as his fingers absently set to strumming the neck, so well-worn with use. So tired was he, that he didn't really even think about the words that began to spill out of his mouth as he played, softly at first and a little unsure, but a confidence filled in behind the words as he closed his eyes and recounted their travels to no one in particular....

Gather 'round o' friends and foes
and hear the song of rites and heroes

Called to aid an ailing town
A motley crew answered with a willing brawn

and willinger guile the troop did bring
with a view to victory, but few plans to swing

The Road to Foxdale proved a firey forge
as the heroes bickered on route to face the winged scourge

of Foxdale to which they'd been called,
their fighting set aside to face beasts from the shadows crawled.

The noble adventurers delved deeper still,
the first mysteries uncovered and the first blood to be spilled.

In spite of their fight, they pressed on to the village,
Eager for glory and to help the town keep its tillage.

As night fell, another danger encroached,
to stop the ranger's tale, several kobolds did approach

Thanks to the gods!
Oh the adventurers rallied
And put down the dragon-kin danger
though some of their number fell pallid.

Nay, though the tale is but at the start,
this evening closes a chapter as the adventurers ways do part.

For good or for evening,
'tis yet to be found,
but good shall prevail
while evil abounds.

For each of the heroes does seek their own ends,
They all wish to vanquish a dragon most red.

The young bard's voice trailed off as his fingers continued to dance across the neck of the lute, spinning soft melodies in the firelight of the tavern. His eyes remained closed, almost as if in a trance, playing to soothe his own tired mind while he smiled gently at the warmth of the fire in his toes.

Actions

stat block

Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6427
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Back to TownAsh breaks off from the group as the rest make their way to the Bristled Boar tavern. Naskan carries Lothar by a shoulder, and Spike helps stabilize the other side, much to Kaspar's relief. Both of them have some fun at the mountain man's expense.

Once they reach the door, they realize it is all quiet inside. The door is closed, though a lamp burns within. The knock on the door is answered after a while by a groggy voice. "Coming!" A young dwarf opens the door. Much younger than Spike even. Clearly, he has just woken up. "Aah, come in. Come in. I was just waiting for you all. I am Baelin. My father owns this establishment."

The adventurers walk in to see the main hall completely empty. Chairs have been turned upside down on the tables. The young dwarf goes to the counter and comes back with three keys. Stifling a yawn, he says, "I have three rooms upstairs ready for you. Two beds in each. And attached bathrooms! The best we got, really. Ah, yes madam. I will have a bottle of wine sent up. Food? Well, let me see what I can do." Nora plucks a key from his hand and heads off to her room.

Baelin trundles off to the kitchen. He wakes up a woman sleeping there. There are hushed voices. After a few minutes, he comes back with three plates and lays them down on a table. One has some sort of gravy. Another has scraps of bread, mostly crust. The third one contains boiled vegetables that look a little shrivelled. "My apologies. We don't have anything else at this hour. Cindy!" The woman comes to the table with four glasses of ale. "These are on the house."

It is not much. But for now, it is enough to satiate their hunger. Kaspar puts his feet up on the table and starts strumming on his lute, summing up the day's events in verse form. Baelin cringes a bit from the noise, but the bard is not too loud. Sadly, there is no one else in the place to appreciate his fine troubadourship.

The young dwarf says, "Nice song! You must perform it tomorrow for the crowd. Now, you have your keys, your food, your ale. If you need anything else, please wake me up." Smiling brightly, Baelin goes back behind the counter and lies down on a mattress laid on the floor, pulling a sheet over himself. Lothar, Naskan, Spike and Kaspar find themselves alone at the table.

Outside, Ash haunts the lonely lanes of Foxdale for a while till he finds a narrow cul-de-sac. Figuring it as good a spot as any, the warlock sets up his bed. Bat hangs upside down from the eaves of a hut nearby.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7726
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Foxdale
right-aligned image
Naskan Kreccac
Absently picking at the scraps of food provided by the dwarf, Naskan is lost in his thoughts spurred by Kaspar's song. He knew a task as monumental as slaying a dragon would not be easy but they had suffered much and were naught but a little closer to their goal. One solitary kobold had downed Lothar and severly wounded both Naskan and Spike. They were contemplating invading an entire fortress of the creatures...with an ogre and gods knew what else.

As the bard's song concluded, exhaustion hit Naskan with the force of Spike's javelin. Looking down to his plate, he saw he hadn't even eaten half of the provided food. It had never been a comfort to him, food. Not since the day the dragon came those many years ago. Rising from his seat, the dragonborn offered his shoulder once again to Lothar.

"We have eaten, we have drank, let us rest."

oocNaskan Kreccac
Actions

Stat Block

Last edited by tomplum; 01-25-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4764
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Lothar Hillperson
left-aligned image
Lothar
Beaten and bruised, Lothar accompanied the others back to the tavern. He was not in the best of moods and was clearly hanging on by a string. He thanked Spike and Naskan for helping him to his seat where food and drink was quickly provided.

Eagerly, he ate it all down, and the sustenance helped give him strength. However, it was not enough. To look at him, his eyes were still glassy and his head was woozy. When the dwarf mentioned a warm bed, Lothar looked up.

"Yes, I need to lay down. Tomorrow is a new day for me. I am not much help."

Slowly, he made his way up to the appointed room and collapsed in a heap on the bed. Sleep came quickly to Lothar and his body was set to heal.

Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2075
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Kaspar Thorngage The young tiefling concludes his song, his attention brought back to the present by his companions ambling off to beds. He took a plate of the food, realizing suddenly how hungry he really was. He shoveled a few spoonfuls of the meal, such as it was into his mouth, drained the ale and headed up the stairs to find his room and bed.

Going to have to find a shop in town tomorrow and see about a backpack, he thought, tired of hauling his chest around. After several days on the march, he was fully aware of just how unwieldy it was in this part of the world. If they were going to keep mucking through the woods, he was going to need to make some adjustments to his gear.

He found his room, pushing the door closed as he toed his traveling boots off just inside and sort of flopped onto the mattress, taking only enough care to fall in such a way as to not harm his instrument nor inadvertently puncture himself with one of the several pointy weapons strapped around his waist.

He buried his face in the pillow and closed his eyes, dreams of dragonfire and poison filling his thoughts as he drifted off to a fitful sleep.

Actions

stat block