twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 473
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I am still working on my application, please let me know if I'm going in the right direction.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 544
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
Name: Beural E Measles code name : The Mystic Mechanic
School:West Private University
Power: Healing factor and a connection to the mystic world through his arcane pipe wrench and body brands.
Background: Beural was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee to a family of mechanics. Beural fixed a customer's car one day and as It turned out the customer was a being from another universe in disguise. Unfortunately, the disguise it wore was strapped for cash but was so impressed by Beural's ability the being blessed him with the magical ability to "channel magical energy" through his pipe wrench. Beural accepted the beings gift as a tip, and saw great
potential to help others with his new power, so he set off to find guidance in the Hero Certification Program.

Description:
Beural E. Measles
M
African American
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 175 lbs
Hair: Black, buzz cut
Tattoos: Brand that extends across chest. Similar brands encircle wrists, ankles, shoulders, and knees. Branding is in an unknown language that seems to change shape when trying to be read.
Apparel:
1x Baseball style cap
1x Dickies brand coveralls/tan
- logo: Pop's Chop Shop
1x White undershirt
1x Wallet, brown leather

Personality: Beural tries to be as well mannered as possible. His hobbies include breaking things to fix them, working at his family garage, and cutting up with the garage crew.
Beural holds two personal heroes: Henry Ford and Popeye The Sailor Man.

Roleplay Sample:

"Drop that purse!" Beural yelled. The two fiends had just jumped the curb on their moped and snatched it right out of the old ladies hand. "Hey! I'm talking to you!" Beural dug into his pockets and pulled out a 3/4 inch nut. Beural came to a sudden halt and threw the nut into the air. Grabbing his pipe wrench with both hands, he struck the nut sending it hurtling off leaving a trail of sparks in it's path. It struck the driver of the moped in the helmet, causing it to swerve and crash into a skid. Beural ran over and snatched the purse back.
"That's what you get for not listening."
Beural returned the purse then helped the driver to his feet and dusted him off. Beural walked to the bike and tapped it with his pipe wrench. The front fender popped back into place and the rim of the tire sparkled like brand new.
"Now skedaddle before I call the cops."
The would be thieves hopped back on their moped and sped away, noticing how much better the engine was running.
"Those boys just needed some help 'sal," Beural said with s mile and a resting of his hands on his hips, "help showin' me the way to their boss." Beural leapt across the street in two bounds and began following the thieves from the building tops.

Last edited by chubbyninja29; 01-18-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10799
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
I know this is an alternate world to the official one (since you said people might not be around) but where in the timeline is it? Is this set after Powereds can become Ex-powereds?

Would you accept a second or third wave ex-powereds student?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1403
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridain View Post
I know this is an alternate world to the official one (since you said people might not be around) but where in the timeline is it? Is this set after Powereds can become Ex-powereds?

Would you accept a second or third wave ex-powereds student?
I'm... open to it being after the events of the 4th book. I'm going to assume that the procedure to make a powered into a super is still fairly rare and expensive, so powereds haven't been completely wiped out, and only those who are particularly wealthy, or desperately need the procedure to get along in normal society without being a danger to themselves and others, would be likely to get it done.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14971
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Decided to do something a bit more in-tune with the source material.

ApplicationName: Ronnie Harrison AKA 'Gauss'

Major: Control, with a Focus minor.

Power: 'Gauss' picked his codename pretty on the nose, as he has the ability to sense, create, and control magnetic fields. Upper limits unknown at present, but he has shown to be capable of electromagnetic levitation, moving metallic objects with something like telekinesis, generating force fields, etc.

He seems to be such a natural with his abilities that this has caused problems of their own. The magnetic fields of large natural events like hurricanes have been known to interfere with his brain patterns, creating an intoxication-like effect for example. It's a hint toward his big secret, that he's actually riding the border between being Powered and a Super. The energy powering his abilities seems to build on it's own, and if he goes too long without using his powers he begins to lose control over them.

Background: Born in Pittsburgh, Ronnie's parents believe that they were ultimately somehow responsible for Ronnie's "condition". They actually might be right, who knows? When your mother is a physicist whose experiments were geared toward finding theoretical magnetron particles a lot of things are possible.

The popular story is that usually powers pop up with puberty, but not always. The Harrison's don't say when Ronnie's magnetic powers started to surface, but there's a reason metal knives are not allowed in the house. They know though. Normally powers start erupting at puberty, Ronnie's powers erupted when he was six when freak magnetic fields began bursting around the house. Most horrifyingly in the kitchen. Do the math. The irony is that if he truly had no control over his abilities both of his parents and he himself would have been sliced to ribbons in the resulting chaos. Instead his mother now has a chunk of one ear that's gone but otherwise they're fine. But that's all he can think about, about how he almost accidentally killed himself and his family.

Feeling like he's only barely in control of his abilities, it's fortunate that Ronnie's father had the financial resources to keep this hidden. Ronnie's accidentally wrecked family cars, ripped wiring from walls, and similar feats of magnetism from a very young age. Fortunately, being a borderline case and through years of practice he does have something like a lid on his abilities most of the time and can pass for a true Super as long as he doesn't go to long between uses of his powers. If he does, he starts getting chest pains then things start happening.

So why does he want to become a Hero? Because there's no way he'll go very long without using his Magnetism if he's a Hero. He'll be far too busy for that. Coming up through Korman University, Gauss is going for the top spot like his life depends on it. Because he feels like it does. And ironically, it probably makes him a better hero. Who more appreciates life then someone who almost had it all ripped away.

Description: 'Gauss' stands at 5'10" with a fairly average build. He's clearly someone who only goes to the gym when he absolutely has too but the HCP does genuinely make him at times. Has short brown hair with blue-grey eyes described as like the color of the sky during a storm. Smirks like he's in the middle of an inside joke that never seems to stop.

With the help of his family’s resources Guass has a “learner’s costume” of what looks like a black under-armor shirt with red highlights with aeronautic giggles because if he has to hide his identity anyway may as well make it practical. The shirt has metal strands woven into it, which when used in conjunction with his powers makes it bulletproof armor. Otherwise wears jeans and steel-toed boots to assist with magnetic levitation. When asked about maintaining a secret identity he does it in ways considered unorthadox otherwise. Like reminding people that an adult human body usually has about 5 grams of Iron in it, enough to create a small nail, that iron were to be suddenly removed would cause the blood to lose it's ability to process Oxygen. That and with the ability to wipe phones and hard-drives on a whim - well, some surprisingly dark moves, but it seems to work. Is often seen using his abilities in public if he does make some effort to not make it immediately obvious who he is, too the point where he doesn't have a driver's license as he prefers to just ride the magnetic fields in the local environment to move anyway.

Personality: Ronnie is playful, irreverent, and not above using his powers for a bit of fun. Would probably be the most likely member of any super-group to actually break the law but just in little ways. He's not out to hurt anyone. Just things using magnetic levitation to scoot around cityscapes at shocking speeds to be awesome. What's with all the angst? They have superpowers! Of course he's hiding as his secret that, in theory, he could lose control over his abilities and accidentally kill himself and everyone around him at any moment, that just makes him more determined to live life to the fullest.

Gauss is an avid parkour artist and sky-diver but he cheats at both things, openly, so if he holds any records they don't really count and he knows it. He does have a good heart, if he wants to blast out his hearing at a concert of two first.

Roleplay Sample:
Make it Count"You know what a Bonzai Jump is?" Ronnie asks the new 21 year old in the seat next to his at that old dive bar. There was a band playing, a very spirited Punk band - but musically they sucked so he wasn't really paying attention. The kid shakes his head, so Ronnie turns to the bartender.

"You?"

"Heard of it, I think. Something to do with Sky-Diving?" replies the bartender with cherry red hair that probably came from a bottle but Ronnie was in a good enough mood that he didn't care.

"Sort of yeah. It's when you throw the Parachute out of the Plane first, you have to put it on and strap in while you're in Free Fall."

"F$%^! Why would you do that? Do they want to die?" the new 21 year old responds, a skinny kid with a shaved bald head and puppy dog eyes now that Ronnie's got a better look at him.

"I did one yesterday. No, I did it because I want to live a little before then. So do it, go live a little."

"A Bonzai jump? No thank you." the shaved kid replies, and Ronnie chuckles at that, looking at the bartender who also giggles a bit.

"I mean talk to that guy you've been eyeing for the last hour. Because, really, you could die tomorrow. Where would you be then?"

"He'd be Dead." 'Cherry' responds. That's probably not her name, but that's what Ronnie's started to call her in his head for now.

"I just - I don't know what to say."

"That's what the booze is for. Just go."

"What would you say then, smart guy?" Cherry asks Ronnie, and he chuckles. And closes his eyes and holds out a hand. A bottle of Blanton's Bourbon, fine glass with a metal horse figure for a cap on it's head, flies through the air into his hand. Of course he hands it back, while Cherry and Kid are still surprised.

"I'd ask her if she had electricity powers, I'm being attracted. Like, literally electromagnetically pulled. But that only really works for me, and for ladies who have electricity powers. You kind of have to come up with that on your own."

And with that, the Kid does get brave and starts to head out while Ronnie motions that he still wants the drink.

"Didn't realize you were a Super. That line is really Corny." 'Cherry' replies and Gauss just chuckles.

"I don't know about that. Do you have Electricity powers?"

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; 02-01-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
@Gleefulnihilism

Teeechnically, he's not a powered at all. Powereds are people who have literally NO control over their powers... Like someone who teleports randomly every time they sneeze, or starts floating whenever they're happy.

Having to regularly use your power in order to keep it in check is firmly in the 'Super' category, since there's a means by which the power can be controlled. Otherwise though I don't see any major issues. Need to know what school he attended though.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:04 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Meant to say the New York one. Is there a term for someone sort of on the border of Super and Powered?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:32 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Not really. There's a very clear delineation between powered and super. Anyone who can control their abilities in any way is considered a super. Anyone who cannot control their abilities is a powered. There is a process by which a powered can be made into a super, but it comes with enormous costs.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:35 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Good to know. I'd like to keep the "control isn't as great as advertized" theme but I guess that's still a Super then. :P
Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
That's fine, and can be used as a complication, perhaps. It could also be something that Gauss works on over the course of the game.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 473
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I think I'm done.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Panda View Post
Ordinarily, I'd say it can't be done. In the source material, one cannot go through college in one country and then do their internship in another country, due to the differences in the standards for heroes in each country.

I can change that rule, certainly... but I'd ultimately prefer that said British Matter Transmuter attend college in the US of he intends to be a US based hero... perhaps he couldn't get through the British HCP, or had to pull out after some sort of emergency that brought him to the US, where he went into training there instead.
I was also considering a British character. I got really mad that I missed the opportunity in an IRL game. I have some cockney rhyming slang ready and everything.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4111
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
I was also considering a British character. I got really mad that I missed the opportunity in an IRL game. I have some cockney rhyming slang ready and everything.
I had a cockney Kenku in a D&D game once. Hilarity ensued.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
This is fine. Like I said, as long as he attended a US school for the HCP, I'm not opposed to a foreign national interning in the US.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 850
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Does this setting assume a grab-bag of power origins (like Marvel/DC) or a more innate origin (like MHA)? I'm unfamiliar with the series itself, and the normal online resources aren't helping much.