RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2520
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
left-aligned image
Welcome to the Krakole Pass Application phase Trmmilwwi

We now have 9 applicants for the rank of Private which means it is now a competition. I also have been given a game thread which means we can be go for a game.

I'm happy to give feed back on applications that are done but I thought I'd give a little insight into how I go about selecting players.

1) I don't bother about balanced parties. So don't pick a Bard just because it would be helpful. I don't even look at classes when selecting. Play what you want to play.
2) The longer a app is a work in progress says to me that you don't have the time to post regularly. Better to do a basic app call it complete then tweak it up until the application process ends.
3) Characters who are built to work as a team will be given more attention
4) Love apps that dip into what world info you've been given in the ad. It shows that you can read. You'd be surprised how many apps don't read all of the ad info then ask questions that have been answered or miss the idea of the game altogether.

As a note I am impressed by how many applications are dipping into something with 'Heals' that is going to be You may hear me laugh Maniacallyimportant.
Also not many people have made requests for more items. At this stage you left the fort with a weapon and 20 pieces ammunition if you have a weapon that requires it, you also get your armour and a shield, a focus if you character needs it. Then your Lieutenant will distribute the supplies you would have needed at Brown to eat and live.

Last edited by Xalnaga; 01-23-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
Quote:
Also not many people have made requests for more items. At this stage you left the fort with a weapon and 20 pieces ammunition if you have a weapon that requires it, you also get your armour and a shield, a focus if you character needs it. Then your Lieutenant will distribute the supplies you would have needed at Brown to eat and live.
DM, need some clarity.

The intro post said, "Between you the squad is carrying, two weeks worth of rations to Brown watch, plus each of you have 5 days of rations and water. So it sounds like we each have 5 days of individual trail rations, plus another two weeks worth of food (that isn't trail food) for the entire group. As for eating food - do we have mess kits, or do we need to ask for those individually? I additionally assumed we would have a backpack to carry all this in.

The intro post also said, "You can have one kit of your choice: Climber’s kit, Explorers pack, herbalism kit etc" as well as "You also must be carrying either one of the following: A Tent and fire wood, A Bladder containing 3 gallons of fresh water (9 Litres), or a pack with 24lbs of food (10kg)". Since we haven't finalized sheets and roles, I figured we could divide up tents/firewood pretty easy (a tent sleeps two, so for the 10 of us, we would need five tents), with the rest containing food. As for the climbing/healing kits, I figured those would be decided once we make up character sheets.

How many days march is it from the Fort to the Brown Watch? Since we have tents it makes sense that it will be several days. Do we need to individually ask for bedrolls and blankets, or is that included in the tents?

For the other PCS, since we are all dwarves with darkvision, no one should really need any lantern or torches. The only other items that have a general use that I can see is rope (always useful), hunting traps, fishing tackle, crowbars and thieves tools (I don't see anyone who would use them though), portable rams, caltrops (for combat), and a tinderbox if somehow someone in a 10 person party can't create fire.

TLDRSo in addition to what you set forth above, is it safe to assume we have mess kits, backpacks, bedrolls, blankets, our kit choice, and our designated "group gear" (food/water/tent & Firewood). If not, please let me know, but those seem to be basic necessities everyone should have.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Half Elf, Half Mad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1614
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
left-aligned image
App complete, sir! Huzzah!

Last edited by Tinuviel; 01-23-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
DM, need some clarity.

The intro post said, "Between you the squad is carrying, two weeks worth of rations to Brown watch, plus each of you have 5 days of rations and water. So it sounds like we each have 5 days of individual trail rations, plus another two weeks worth of food (that isn't trail food) for the entire group. As for eating food - do we have mess kits, or do we need to ask for those individually? I additionally assumed we would have a backpack to carry all this in.

The intro post also said, "You can have one kit of your choice: Climber’s kit, Explorers pack, herbalism kit etc" as well as "You also must be carrying either one of the following: A Tent and fire wood, A Bladder containing 3 gallons of fresh water (9 Litres), or a pack with 24lbs of food (10kg)". Since we haven't finalized sheets and roles, I figured we could divide up tents/firewood pretty easy (a tent sleeps two, so for the 10 of us, we would need five tents), with the rest containing food. As for the climbing/healing kits, I figured those would be decided once we make up character sheets.

How many days march is it from the Fort to the Brown Watch? Since we have tents it makes sense that it will be several days. Do we need to individually ask for bedrolls and blankets, or is that included in the tents?

For the other PCS, since we are all dwarves with darkvision, no one should really need any lantern or torches. The only other items that have a general use that I can see is rope (always useful), hunting traps, fishing tackle, crowbars and thieves tools (I don't see anyone who would use them though), portable rams, caltrops (for combat), and a tinderbox if somehow someone in a 10 person party can't create fire.

TLDRSo in addition to what you set forth above, is it safe to assume we have mess kits, backpacks, bedrolls, blankets, our kit choice, and our designated "group gear" (food/water/tent & Firewood). If not, please let me know, but those seem to be basic necessities everyone should have.
DarkPaladin, very good point. And yes all that seems logical.
Basic Go Bag: Back pack, rations, waterskin, bedroll, blanket, tinder box, mess kit.
On top of that is your group gear, and kit of choice.

The trip to Brown watch takes two days. One overnight stay. Sometimes it has taken 4 days in bad whether so you have an extra day in case something happens and you need to spend another night out.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5050
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
When is the application deadline?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Paladin at Heart

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1003
StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung
Will be finishing up my app by Friday! This week’s a bit erratic but I should be good for any future posting should I be chosen.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds good Stonesung

App deadline will be in about a week. Should be long enough to get a basic application together.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2336
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Xalnaga will you be using the DMG optional combat rules such as disarm, etc?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image
You know Vislands. I hadn't planned on it but I'll give it a re-read and see how they look. I like the idea of disarming and other such niceties...
Old 01-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 656
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Looks like fun even though I'm not applying; congratulations on a great concept.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Paladin at Heart

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1003
StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung StoneSung
Application is almost done, now to just requisition supplies for the men and myself!

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 274
Tyrus34 Tyrus34 Tyrus34
Hey there, super interested in this. I noticed that you said you were interested in using UA material, does this include the UA ranger variant?
Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Tyrus34
Go ahead and use the UA ranger
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 274
Tyrus34 Tyrus34 Tyrus34
one more question, do we need to start with fighter or do we just need to have one level of fighter in our build. For thematic backstory purposes I was hoping to go Rogue 1/fighter 1/ranger 2 would this work?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:42 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Grimguy Grimguy
Name: Fargrim Silveraxe and Snuggles
Race: Dwarf(variant)
Class: Fighter 1/Ranger(Beast Conclave) 3
Roll: Scout, Tracker, Ranged
Back story: Even as a child Fargrim felt a calling to the wilds, he never felt truly comfortable in the mountains and underground. He much preferred the open sky above his head, exploring the wilds. Although he did take basic martial training his heart was never really in it. His head training officer, a dwarf by the name of Kilvar, was a perceptive man and recognized where Fargrim's talents truly lied. Fargrim was than trained as a scout and tracker and that is where he truly blossomed.

On one of his patrols, Fargrim came upon a bear den with a trio of wolves surrounding a young bear cub. Earlier in the day, he had stumbled upon the corpse of a bear killed by some unknown hunter. He realized than and there that this was the cub's mother. Although what was unfolding before his eyes was simply the natural order of things, Fargrim took pity on the young cub and chased the wolves off. He befriend the cub by offering it some food and healing it's wounds. A bond was created between Fargrim and the cub and continues to grow, seemingly day by day.