twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 269
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
What happens when a first born sibling of the founding families doesn't want to have children?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15318
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
@Kaiya
This has never come up as far as anyone can remember, granted it isn't even something they would talk about, this is 'just how it is' because... it is how it is. Picture this as a place where tradition has ruled so long no one actually remembers why it is this way, just that it is important.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Stingy Black Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
loganic loganic loganic loganic
I'm leaning towards a ratfolk witch. Her family runs a shop by the water, mostly fishing supplies. App pending
Old 01-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7740
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Why you do this to me Kap!!!!!! You know how I feel about level 1!
Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
bookworm bookworm
Kapera, I thought enough half-orcs might have chosen to settle here in the early days since one of the founders was also half-orc that it could have been maintained. If that doesn't work for the setting I'll go human though.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
As a general side not to those who do not know me, after some of the public and private questions I have been posed... nothing is ever what it seems in any of my games, take that how you will, that is all I am going to say about that.

@Bookworm: I just struggle with the genetics of it, how they would stay half-orc within a smaller gene pool... I do not think I want to bend that way

@Scimmy: 99 problems, but a game aint one baby
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1018
Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar Balazar
But Don't Mess With The HorsesGaridan Arasme
right-aligned image

Race: Human (Heart of the Fields alternate racial trait)
Class: Ranger (either Infiltrator or Horse Lord archetype)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Character Concept: Hunter on Horseback
Intended Role: Ranged Striker and Stealth

Traits: Born to the saddle, Thoroughbred, Affable
Drawback: Naive
Fear: Spiders and other things with far too many legs

Appearance: Despite Garidan's height, he is never imposing. His thin frame, when combined with an often relaxed posture and easy smile, would never suggest anything other than an unassuming nature. His simple earthen-hued garb along with his similarly brown hair and beard help to hide the layers of gritty dirt that he frequently finds himself covered in as a result of long hours on the farm or equally long hours roaming through the nearby woods.
Personality: Garidan is always quick to see the best in everyone. While some may claim that this makes him come off as rather naive, or even simple, he just can't help but see the best in even terrible situations. Garidan has a great love for nature, sometimes laying back on the side of a creek on a lazy summer afternoon idly fishing, sometimes exploring the bits of forested land nearby Rivair Hibbair and occasionally catching a rabbit or even a deer to bring home. Most of all, Garidan loves horses. The Arasme family had been breeding and raising horses longer than anyone could remember, and Garidan grew up riding them, training them, and working the fields of the family farm alongside them.
The Char Run: When Garidan heard the call that the Char run was starting his face broke into an oft-worn smile. His sister Katlyn was nearly bouncing with excitement, while his older brother Garrett was giving her some lecture about patience.

"Don't be too patient though!" Garidan called over to the two as he checked the straps holding the large baskets to Merry-bell's sides, she stomped and snorted excitedly, "Or you'll be as old as Garrett before anything exciting happens!" Garidan's smile toward his older brother was met with a roll of the eyes as Katlyn giggled.

Garidan led Merry-bell over to where the other two were waiting at the side of the river. Normally this would be a bit too much excitement for a young horse like her but Garidan had always had a way with horses. His older brother was certainly the better farmer, already taking over for their parents, with a real knack for breeding and managing horses. Garidan knew he would never be as good at the family business as his sibling because he couldn't help but see horses the same way he saw people, with full personalities, thoughts and feelings. In many ways he felt more kin to Merry-bell than to his real siblings who were now tensely waiting as the char run approached their location.

Garidan pulled his long fishing knife out of Merry-bell's saddlebag, as one of the more experienced fishermen he knew he'd likely be relegated to gutting the fish and putting them out to dry before his equine companion could carry them back to be stored away. He took up a position between his sister and brother, spotting his parents further up the stream keeping an eye on some of the younger children, as Merry-bell gently nuzzled the back of his hand.

Life was good.

Last edited by Balazar; 01-28-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:17 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
@Everyone: Do let me know when you feel your application is complete. I can go over it and make points for you if you wish, or if you do not, I can merely mark it as completed

Also, please keep in mind that your character/race needs to fit into this environment.

Last edited by Kapera; 01-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:35 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30434
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
So, Kap, is there a library in this little town?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11972
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
I got the impression this was more of a two to three dozen book town versus a library but i could definitely be mistaken about the size of the town and its literacy rate
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
There are a few books made from local materials. The Eldest in town has always passed down letters/writing/reading to the children, though most the history as well as most of the stories are all oral tradition. Some may not have taken well to their 'letters' and are less literate, but there is a basic understanding at least for all.

Picture the lessons being in the dust or on slate stone, paper is a more difficult thing to make, so books are not a big supply thing. Very important things would be kept in an animal skin tome perhaps... though if this existed it would be something that only the Eldest would know, as it is part of the knowledge they would keep.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Pure Scotch beef.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4214
Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman
I really don't have time for another game, but this is too appealing - so I'll risk having to give up on sleep and go ahead.
What's the role of religion in the village? And is there any kind of an accepted "law" (guard, constable etc)?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
The law, as in if someone does steal or otherwise, is the Elder along with the four other eldest in the village to discuss and pass judgement.

Guards and such things are just not needed, and if there are troubles with wildlife, the able bodied men and women go deal.

There is no hard fast religious 'theme' in the village, I am open to creativity
Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Better Half of Ettercap!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37164
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Lillian
right-aligned image
Character Name: Lillian Hartnell

Concept: 19-year-old Female Heart of the Fey alt traitHuman Deaf Divine Herbalist Life Oracle (NG), the inn's laundress/seamstress and nurse
Traits: Spirits in the Stone, Blessed Touch, and Focused Mind
Drawback: Overprotective

Appearance: Blonde and blue-eyed, Lillian is a lovely girl. Her eyes are easily her best feature, the striking blue-grey color secondary to the way they seem to be able to see into people around her. It's more that she has to observe as much as possible to know what's going on because she's deaf, and when she focuses on people to read their lips it can give the impression that she's seeing into them. As she is now considered an adult, she's had to learn appropriate ways to tame her blonde curls into something less wild than the loose hair of a child, and she's generally seen these days with either a braid wrapped around her head, or just a coil of hair pinned up. Her parents are the innkeeper Trayner and his wife Nona, putting her in a rather central location in town, and she tries to dress as nicely as she's able, feeling like she's on display. Ribbons would be desirable, but in their absence she deals in embroidery and ruffles, though small ones. Even her overskirts (used instead of aprons in an industry that could ruin clothing from all angles) tend to have bits of ruffle to accent the drab colors that are least likely to show stains.

Flaw: It's hard to be an outsider in the middle of town, but when you're unique in a way that's not exactly beneficial or pleasant and hard for most others to understand, it's possible. Lillian has turned this into both shameless attempts to help out and fits of anger that no one understands her. More of the former than the latter, but she hides the anger behind a mask of pleasant manners, making it hard for most people to tell, except close friends and family.

Fear: Lillian is afraid of being helpless. While she has learned to work around her lack of hearing, there are some things that she can't do, and sign language only works when there's enough light to see by. It terrifies her that another illness or accident could impair her in some other way and she'd be suddenly useless, helpless, and completely dependent on her family in a way she hasn't had to comprehend yet. This also extends to purpose in life, because when her parents die the inn will pass to her older sister Caitriona and her husband, but Lillian will need something to do or find herself depending on her sister after her parents.

The sun was barely up, yet Lillian felt like it ought to be setting. Between taking her very pregnant sister's place in mixing up the morning's breakfast of bread and pastries, requiring three attempts at fixing a portable healer's kit before she was satisfied no one would do anything stupid she couldn't fix, and doing all the inn's unavoidable daily chores before getting dressed to go to the river, it seemed like a lot had happened. She had already tended two bruises, four scrapes, and a splinter. It was hard to keep an eye on the less healthy members of town as they arrived without getting a side helping of Old Maudie's cantankerous nature to go along with it. Most of the duties of the catching of fish were outside Lillian's ability, which left her to help with breakfast before the run started, and clean it up before the actual sorting and gutting of fish began. She was quite able to handle the tasks of gutting, scraping, and drying on her own, it wasn't something that required communication ability for coordination with others, but she wasn't fond of it. It was more something that just had to be done.

As such it had pleased her beyond measure when her brother-in-law stopped her before going into the river and asked for her to keep an eye on her two-year-old nephew for a little while while he helped haul nets. Little Trayner was an active boy, running all over and trying to get into the river to play with the older children. It kept her quite busy, even if some women were caring for several children at once. Her nephew was always a joy to her, not being able to hear it when he shrieked loudly with the naive joy of a toddler. At least that's what she had been told that expression meant, anyway. He favored his father too much to resemble her, but it didn't take much insight to recognize that the young blonde woman in the worn apron loved the child who could do pretty much anything to her without reproach. She chased him until he grew tired, then carried him until he wanted to get down, and soon the pattern would repeat. He had learned that Aunty Lily had to be shown things, so while he may not have understood why, he knew to show her the flowers, grass, and bugs that he found. Lillian chose to ignore some of the laughter that this seemed to cause among the others watching children, and instead grinned at her nephew, using some of her basic phrases like 'Good boy' that he recognized even if they weren't quite spoken right. She doubted he would be as interested in herbs when he grew up, but she could always hope.

Last edited by Aethera; 01-29-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Nos defendat nostra

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13505
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Withdrawn to focus on DM project.

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; 01-31-2019 at 12:05 AM.