RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM
CactusJack's Avatar
CactusJack CactusJack is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 631
CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack
Posts: 429
Monster of the Week: The things that go bump in the night

Game NameMonster of the Week: The things that go bump in the night
Game SystemMonster of the week
ThemeParanormal Investigation
FlavourPulp fiction, horror, detective


Do you like coastal communities with mysterious murders, coverups, and creatures of the night? This might be an opportunity for you.

I've been running a Monster of the Week game since late summer. A group of private detectives have been sent to investigate a series of murders in a small town. After some leg work they've discovered it's likely some sort of vampire, but have yet to confront it.

Unfortunately one of the players has to withdraw due to real life. I'm hoping to find someone who can jump in mid investigation and help push the group towards the conclusion.

So far we have: A monstrous changeling who is a master manipulator and a spooky teen with a (literal) demon.

The private detective firm is called The Society. It's a loosely connected group of paranormal investigators with an unknown benefactor. The group only met because they were all assigned the same case.

There's a lot of flexibility and we can work something out character wise.

We're posting maybe once a week, sometimes twice. Monster of the Week is a very fun and simple system. There's a number of playbooks, and they're available for free. You can find them under the game thread.

I am looking for at least two players to join the group. I'd like all applications to include: Character name, playbook, description & personality, how did they come to work for The Society.

If you have any questions ask away.
__________________
Tower graduate #954 -- and all I got was this lousy signature.

Last edited by CactusJack; 02-07-2019 at 10:41 AM.
  #2  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM
girlplay's Avatar
girlplay girlplay is offline
Good girl by day.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-21-2019
RPXP: 12452
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Posts: 9,583
I don't know anything about this game or the system or even if this is a valid idea, but I had a sudden burst of inspiration. This may not even be possible or fit in... But here it is anyway. My idea is that the character is a living doll or clockwork ballerina who wants to become real somehow. She figures that the more weird-stuff that she investigates, the greater the chance she'll have of actually discovering a way to transform. Obviously, the idea is still a work in progress and I have to figure out if the rules would even support the concept. I just thought that I would toss it out there.
__________________
Girlplay is a creative spinner who roleplays on Earth.
  #3  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 PM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is online now
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 2926
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,445
Girl play, it could pretty easily be done with either the Summoned or The Monstrous playbooks.

Last edited by kanly; 02-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
  #4  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 AM
Krow Nest's Avatar
Krow Nest Krow Nest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Posts: 2,741
Hey, I'm a dumb dumb mcdumby dumb. Is a new player to this system acceptable?
  #5  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM
CactusJack's Avatar
CactusJack CactusJack is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 631
CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
I don't know anything about this game or the system or even if this is a valid idea, but I had a sudden burst of inspiration. This may not even be possible or fit in... But here it is anyway. My idea is that the character is a living doll or clockwork ballerina who wants to become real somehow. She figures that the more weird-stuff that she investigates, the greater the chance she'll have of actually discovering a way to transform. Obviously, the idea is still a work in progress and I have to figure out if the rules would even support the concept. I just thought that I would toss it out there.
Sounds like a really great concept. It's totally possible, there's a lot of freedom in the rules. As Kanly said there's two playbooks that could work. Monstrous might be a closer fit. Summoned is a bit too heavy on Hell Boy flavoring -- unless you want your doll/clockwork ballerina to be the bearer of the apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
Hey, I'm a dumb dumb mcdumby dumb. Is a new player to this system acceptable?
We're all new players actually. Going into the game not one of us had played MotW. If you're interested check out some of the playbooks to see the classes. It will give you an idea of how things work. But don't worry about not having any experience!
__________________
Tower graduate #954 -- and all I got was this lousy signature.
  #6  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is online now
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 2926
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
-- unless you want your doll/clockwork ballerina to be the bearer of the apocalypse.
Is that even a question?
  #7  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Krow Nest's Avatar
Krow Nest Krow Nest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Posts: 2,741
Application to The Society
left-aligned image
Character name: Ray Houston

Class: Wronged

Description: A tall man, with short black hair, sharp blue eyes (shh the picture is just inspiration~), pale-ish skin, standing at six feet high. Ray is a blunt man, not sugarcoating most things he says, though except infront of children, especially his own. Ray usually sees the darker side to things, as he sees the world is dangerous. He uses that to his advantage though, being protective of his loved ones. After... the incident, he became much more to himself, bent on slaying the disgusting creatures that caused his suffering. Ray has a dying hatred of monsters, and believes you cannot trust any of them

How did they come to joining the Society?
  #8  
Old 02-09-2019, 07:24 PM
girlplay's Avatar
girlplay girlplay is offline
Good girl by day.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-21-2019
RPXP: 12452
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Posts: 9,583
It seems that my idea doesn't really work with any of the playbooks.
I'll think on it a while and see if something else comes to mind.
__________________
Girlplay is a creative spinner who roleplays on Earth.
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM
CactusJack's Avatar
CactusJack CactusJack is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 631
CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack CactusJack
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
It seems that my idea doesn't really work with any of the playbooks.
I'll think on it a while and see if something else comes to mind.
No problem, that's too bad. Thank you though for thinking about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
Application to The Society
left-aligned image
Character name: Ray Houston

Class: Wronged

Description: A tall man, with short black hair, sharp blue eyes (shh the picture is just inspiration~), pale-ish skin, standing at six feet high. Ray is a blunt man, not sugarcoating most things he says, though except infront of children, especially his own. Ray usually sees the darker side to things, as he sees the world is dangerous. He uses that to his advantage though, being protective of his loved ones. After... the incident, he became much more to himself, bent on slaying the disgusting creatures that caused his suffering. Ray has a dying hatred of monsters, and believes you cannot trust any of them

How did they come to joining the Society?
Thanks for the application. My question would be: would Ray work with monsters if it meant going after his target? He'd be working alongside a demon and changeling. It might be challenging otherwise.
__________________
Tower graduate #954 -- and all I got was this lousy signature.
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Krow Nest's Avatar
Krow Nest Krow Nest is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Posts: 2,741
He will not be very happy about it, but if a 'superior' tells him not to kill them, he wont
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB