Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Prince of Avolition

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief
Consistent Low Rolls

I deleted this question yesterday because i didn't want to seem like a baby, but heck with it.

Has anyone else had any experience with consistent bad dice rolls over a reasonable amount of time, and is there a way to calibrate the rolling algorithm or something? In Discord sometimes the bots go on the fritz, but i don't know how the dice rolling is done here. I also haven't seen anyone else asking about it, but my whole group on here has about 1 success out of over 10 rolls, DM included, and i figure i'll be the one to whine about it. Maybe there is an actual problem, maybe not, but it sure seems like it, especially when i roll a physical d20 that many times and compare the average rolls.

Thanks ahead for any potential fixings!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:11 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38222
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
ChiefDisbelief,

The dice roller is a random number generator. It can seem like it's giving you only low rolls, but sometimes that happens. You'll get a good run sometime, too, but no one ever complains about that. The computer can only do what you tell it to, and random numbers are what you're asking for. That means the good ones and the bad ones.

Sorry you're not enjoying your game, but you'll all pull through.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6143
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I have also seen this happen IRL with actual dice.
It is one of the hangups I have about the d10 'success' based system (white wolf)...18 dice and consistently no successes.

-me
Old 04-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Prince of Avolition

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
ChiefDisbelief ChiefDisbelief
To be honest i would report that too lol, anything noticeable one way or the other. But, damn the luck literally i guess.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15051
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I've found the culprit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanzen View Post
Question on the site's dice roller.

I know its a *Random* roller but how does it determine the choice? Is it based off of the computers clock? I know most random sites base the decision off of something similar to the millisecond that the choice was clicked. Is it similar to that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Every time someone rolls a die, the system sends me a text, asking for a random number.

I reply with one I totally make up on the spot. I don't know who the number goes to, or what it's for though.

Sometimes, I get tired of making up numbers all day, and just starting telling it "make it a 1" all day long.
In understand your frustrations, but I actually find it easier to roll low in PbP. I hate rolling low IRL because I never know how to react/recover but in PbP you have all the time in the world to get back on your feet with your best, "I meant to do that..."

In real life luck stories:

Played a game if Rogue Trader where a player exploded his d10 6 times in a row as we watched him cheering. He one shot the final boss of the campaign as his pistol out damaged a battle tank. Thus was the will of The Emperor!

In a Shadowrun game in college, I played a gunslinger adept with 21 dice in pistols. I rolled 21 d6 and didn't get a single 5/6, so I used luck and rolled again. Once again, not a single 5/6 AND more than half we're ones meaning critical glitch and you can only use one luck per roll. My guns exploded in my hands

Not a single 5/6 on 42 real physically rolled six sided dice...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56792
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
No, you can't blame me for the physical rolls.

I am not telekinetic.

Not yet.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3199
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I've found sometimes, rolls that I put in a post and click on the "Preview Post" button before ever hitting the "Submit Reply" button tends to come up as low rolls afterward. So I've gotten into the habit of clicking on the "Preview Post" button until the low rolls pop up before submitting the post. Intellectually, I know it won't matter, but I do it anyway

POSTING STATUS: Sunday-Wensday: Normal, Thursday: Questionable, Friday & Saturday: Limited Posting.

Last edited by Silk; 04-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56792
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
I've found sometimes, rolls that I put in a post and click on the "Preview Post" button before ever hitting the "Submit Reply" button tends to come up as low rolls afterward. So I've gotten into the habit of clicking on the "Preview Post" button until the low rolls pop up before submitting the post. Intellectually, I know it won't matter, but I do it anyway
So, you are the one causing me all that extra work. Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3199
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Thank you for your sacrifice oh Dice God Dirk

POSTING STATUS: Sunday-Wensday: Normal, Thursday: Questionable, Friday & Saturday: Limited Posting.

Last edited by Silk; 04-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
CadeStyle CadeStyle
I canít say much for RNG dice rollers, but for the longest time Iíve been of the mind that a die, particularly a d20, has a finite lifespan of good rolls. No joke, Iíve actually measured the success rate of certain dice in my collection.

One of my oldest and favorite d20s kept seeming to get progressively worse rolls on average. Iíd get consistently mediocre rolls at best, usually interspersed with tons of single digits. I know, on a d20 you have to assume youíd roll 10 or less about half the time, but Iím talking dozens of rolls came up in the 3 to 8 range. That stretches well beyond probability.

And then, when I needed it most, that old d20 gave me not one, not two, but three natural 20s in a row. I made it through that encounter, but afterward it never came up 20 again. Now as I am a scientist I cannot justifiably say that was anything more than pure chance, but from my point of view, that was my old friend rallying to give me its all just before it died.

I still miss him...