... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15065
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Assuming half-Elves are allowed, I dont see them in your list of beginning races but wasnt sure if that list was the only ones allowed or not?
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 07:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
character app
left-aligned image

Orthros "O" Hiller
Half-Elf, Male, mid forties
Sound Striker Bard 10

Character Sheet: WIP Here

Description:
Orthros has a rugged handsomeness about him that many would consider themselves intrigued by, he some color on his skin and a build which suggests he has spent more than a few years doing hard labor as well as working on his music. A full head of hair with a groomed beard has a mix of dark and greys, and he has had the greys from birth simply added to his rugged charm, he keeps his hair a little long and loose but is often brushed back behind his slightly pointed ears. The ears are the only noticeable part of his mixed heritage and perhaps the light blueish grey eyes which are uncommon, still it only adds to his distinctive look which in performing is something you certainly want to have. Clothing tends towards heavier working clothes, a hold over from his ranching upbringing, very practical but certainly in good shape and fine quality with no signs of obvious embellishment or decorative touches.

Personality:
Orthros is a kind soul who often thinks of others before himself, always one of the first to offer a helping hand to those that need it and is not one to judge others without getting to know them. He is often more at home with hard working folks than those of rank and power, as he finds those who work hard for a living more appreciative of his music and more willing to get into the feel of the sound and are honest with their words. He has a soft spot for animals, often drawn to them and they seem to be drawn to him as well. His biggest flaw is probably that he does believe or hope for the best in people, often giving more chances then he should, and he isn't always the best at sticking up for himself when he should.

History:
Orthros grew up in a small community of ranchers, that shared some land and livestock, the families had banded together for mutual protection against outside threats and to share the hard work involved in maintaining the herd and the households. Used to working long hours with the herd, maintaining the the fence lines and the various out buildings they made use of he certainly knew the ins and outs of ranching but as fulfilling as it was it just wasn't what he was passionate about. From a young age he had always loved music, likely inherited from his mother who he remembers having the voice of an angel and his Uncle Jarn who played the fiddle, every gathering of the families saw the two of them playing and singing till the wee hours of the morning much to the delight of everybody. Both were happy to pass on whatever help they could and over time he happily joined them at festivities, and those became some of his fondest memories.

His talents grew, and even more than simply getting better he discovered new and interesting aspects of what he could accomplish with his gifts, being able to perform minor magical tricks and others felt a greater sway to his music. He was able to actually effect material objects, he would practice on broken pieces of tree or old metal objects and he could break or damage them further with the power of his music. This was a gift beyond what either his mom or uncle could manage, but both encourage him to develop what gifts he could for all would be useful for the families. The nature of the music he played and the emotions it projected controlled the effect his music had, it felt as if he could make people brave, calm a savage beast or even intimidate those who would do them harm with the right pluck of a string or song upon his lips.

He doesn't know where his path might have led him but almost ten years ago now it all changed. It had been a particularly dry summer with large swaths of their grazing lands having died off early and the soil was so dry that even a light breeze could kick up dust clouds. Luckily the river continued to flow and the grass near there was enough to maintain the herd with careful management, but a sudden and powerful storm blew into the area with strong winds and they moved the herd off to the barns as much as possible incase the banks swelled. What they hadn't counted on was the large number of lightning strikes that lit up the dry grass and tree groves like a fast moving flaming inferno, quickly engulfing many of the buildings and smoke and embers endangered the barns and houses of the families. Some tried to muster the children to safety while others tried to release the herd from the barns but the fires moved so quickly and the smoke was so heavy that many people and animals died in the chaos. Orthros himself was in one of the barns opening stalls and gates when he got turned around in the smoke and a panicked steer running passed knocked him hard into iron ring on the door.

Knocked out cold he has fleeting memories of events after that point, but he vaguely recalls his Uncle Jarn dragging him from the barn towards the river in a desperate attempt to escape the flames. He woke hours later upon muddy shores downriver with Uncle Jarn beside him, the man was heavily burned and in an immense amount of pain and died shortly after. Orthros had returned to the lands that had once been called home and found a small group of the Knights of Justice performing burial rites for those that had fallen, and one of their number by the name of Harman got him to sit down upon the stump of a tree while he was given water and looked over. Miraculously he had suffered no lasting injuries but would have an intense bruise where he had hid the door for weeks to come but there was no sign of any other survivors from that night, its possible others have escaped but if so none had returned. The knights helped him bury his uncle, and offered to take Orthros with them to their station till he figured out what he would do next and with the enormity of what had occurred still settling in he accepted. It wasn't long after he elected to remain with the Knights, for their kindness was not easily forgotten and what started with him wanting to pay them back for that kindness turned into something more as he found brothers and sisters who did their best to make the world around them a better place.

Last edited by OneDarkness; Sep 10th, 2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 10:23 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
Is the list of races exhaustive for the setting? I'm percolating an idea for a tengu warrior-monk type.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Ysolde is this still a go as its been oddly silent on a few of the questions etc?
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 05:06 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7672
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I think they are just processing applications. There are a lot from before, plus all the new ones.
From what I heard it should be soon enough.

-me
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23480
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post
Nice I will jump in with something.

Is there still malfunctioning magic?
Limitations to be discussed with fully devoted mages, sorcerers, and clerics. Nothing that would prevent playing the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlechaser View Post
Hey Isolde,

Are there Ratfolk in your setting?

Greetz,

BC
I will accept them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit A View Post
I've got a character in my mind that would use a lot of nonlethal damage. I wanted to ask first, will this campaign be very heavy on undead or other things immune to nonlethal?
I'll make sure your character's thread doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
@Ysolde is this still a go as its been oddly silent on a few of the questions etc?
Yes, I'm just usually away Friday - Sunday and this Monday was killer.

PM's being sent to you and others today along with starting threads.

Last edited by Ysolde; Sep 13th, 2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 09:35 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MadOnTheInternet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
Limitations to be discussed with fully devoted mages, sorcerers, and clerics. Nothing that would prevent playing the character.

I will accept them.

I'll make sure your character's thread doesn't.

Yes, I'm just usually away Friday - Sunday and this Monday was killer.

PM's being sent to you and others today along with starting threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnTheInternet View Post
Is the list of races exhaustive for the setting? I'm percolating an idea for a tengu warrior-monk type.
My question seems to have been missed.

Last edited by MadOnTheInternet; Sep 13th, 2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 12:32 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnTheInternet View Post
It is not exhaustive. If the race is in Archives I will probably accept it.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 05:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13652
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Thanks. I'm thinking of playing an investigator, either bonded investigator-star watcher or a gravedigger. Is necromancy inherently evil in your setting?
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 02:50 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlechaser View Post
Thanks. I'm thinking of playing an investigator, either bonded investigator-star watcher or a gravedigger. Is necromancy inherently evil in your setting?
No it is not.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13652
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Nice. A ratfolk gravedigger it is then.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 11:31 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MadOnTheInternet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysolde View Post
It is not exhaustive. If the race is in Archives I will probably accept it.
Great! Here's what I have then:

Application
Name: Tekarch
Race: Tengu
Sex: Male

Description:
Lithe and agile, Tekarch is lightly built, coming up to the average human's chin when standing fully erect. And unlike most Tengu, Tekarch's time in the Empire has taught him to dispense with the stooped posture of most of his kind and present himself in a manner considered dignified by humans. After all, his actions reflect on his order, the Knights, and the Goddess Herself, and Tekarch would sooner die than bring any shame on them. While he accepts dirt and grime as an inevitability in travel and campaigning, when in civilization he keeps his gear, plumage, and even his claws clean and
trim.

Tekarch approaches any task with a zealous vigor some find disconcerting. Not helping is his large, black eyes and wickedly hooked beak, which combine to give him an intense stare. While uncompromising in his pursuit of evil, Tekarch has enough tactical sense to acknowledge the difference between the right time and the wrong time to attack. He may be honorable, but he has no compunctions about knifing a evil man in a dark alley. When the time is right, his quick blades have dispatched many an evildoer to the underworld, with a raptor's shrill cry ringing in their ears.

Backstory:
As a youth, Tekarch had quite a gift for fencing, but unfortunately he mostly used that talent to get into and then back out of trouble. In Tengu society, the ones who show the most promise with the blade are invited to the Eyrie. The Eyrie, a fortress on the top of a remote and forbidding mountain range, is home to the Kring'ar, an order of warrior tengu who spend their time perfecting their ancient, deadly arts. Being invited to join the Kring'ar is condiered a high honor, so when an invite arrived for Tekarch, he quickly packed his bags and left his home.

At the Eyrie, the stern senseis quickly drummed out Tekarch's youthful rebellion and instilled a sense of duty and honor. And with discipline, Tekarch's skills improved rapidly.

The Wing'ar have an ancient pact with the Knights of Justice. The original reason has been lost to the depths of time, but many believe it was in return for some sort of divine favor from the Goddess herself. Ever since, one member of the Wing'ar has served in the Knights' ranks. By tradition, it is the school's most accomplished student who is chosen for the task, who then serves until death or infirmity makes them unable to continue. And it so happened that when the last Kring'ar fell in the service of the Knights, Tekarch was the most accomplished student. So again he packed his bags and left his home.

Sheet is about 50% complete.

Last edited by MadOnTheInternet; Sep 14th, 2022 at 11:32 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 04:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8423
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
App complete!

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Ruslan Mancinus
Race: Human
Class: Fighter 6 (Free Hand Fighter) / Duelist 4 (Prestige)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Description:
Ruslan is a tall, wiry man with olive skin and thick black hair pulled back into a ponytail. His face is regal and quite handsome, with flashing green eyes and a perfectly manicured mustache with a short trim beard on his chin. He stands with an almost arrogant overconfidence in his posture, and he has a soft but deep voice. He wears simple armor of leather over the latest in Takasharr fashion, preferring bright bold colors and the requisite jewelry to match. A well made rapier hangs at his side, and from the way he holds himself the sword is not just there for decoration.

Personality:
Ruslan is a man who appreciates the fine things in life and is always looking for new ways to test his skills with the sword. He is quite talented and knows it, so despite trying his best to be humble he comes off as slightly arrogant to those who do not know him. He has a deep appreciation for alcohol and the arts, and enjoys being at the center of attention from time to time. He adheres to the Knights of Justice code of honor and is a man of integrity, but he struggles with bureaucracy and often finds working outside those limiting confines can often bring more good to the world than with them in place. He is obedient and listens to his superiors, but has a tendency to speak his mind or question something if it sounds like it might be overly dangerous. He is brave, but not stupid. He greatly appreciates women and their company, but his unconsciously arrogant attitude can be off putting to them at times. He likes to sing, especially with a tankard in his hand, and often jokes that a cup of ale, a set of lips to kiss, and a sword to bring to a good fight is all he needs to be content in life.

Background:
Born in the Duchy of Fallhold, Ruslan is the son of Malaki Mancinus, a swordsman of renown who runs a small school known as the Crossed Swords Academy within Fallhold. Ruslan is the second of three brothers - his eldest brother Matius was slain in a duel two years ago, and his youngest brother Zephero is currently a budding instructor at the Crossed Swords Academy under their father. Their mother Margareta passed away during the birth of Zephero, leaving Malaki a widow who has never remarried. Ruslan and Matius were close, and Ruslan was his second at the duel where Matius was slain by a left handed sword fighter who fights in a cloak and cowl. Ruslan never saw his face, he is only known to him as "Demos". After Matius' death, Ruslan and his father had a falling out and Ruslan left the family business to make his way in life by his sword. Malaki knows all too well the dangers of the world and tried to convince Ruslan that Matius was slain due to his pride, but Ruslan will hear none of it.

Though he loves his father deeply, he is convinced that he must find "Demos" and defeat him in a duel to restore his brother's good name and honor back to his family. Ruslan is still not sure what shall become of this duel. Will he run Demos through, an eye for an eye? Or will simply the act of defeating him in honorable combat be enough? He is not completely sure just yet. All he knows is that to do so is a matter of familial honor and he has sworn to do so. He is close with Zephero who is eager to join Ruslan in his adventures, but he is not yet at his fifteenth winter yet so he still has much to learn. Ruslan made his way as a sellsword for a while, but felt aimless. He was fortunate to eventually join the Knights of Justice, to which he has been a valuable member thus far. He is one of the instructors of the sword for the Knights and is a contender to be their most talented swordsman, but his difficulty with bureaucracy and need to sometimes bend the rules for the greater good has stagnated his promotions from time to time.

Last edited by Grouchy; Sep 15th, 2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 03:37 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24840
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Alright, here's a rough idea I had. Obviously we'll have to work things out and not sure it will work, but something we can start from.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Liam Muem
Race: Human
Class: Alchemist 6
Alignment: Lawful Good

Description: Liam does not look like someone who should be advanturing in the slightest. Short, thin, and with a look on his face that suggest he's always feeling some level of anxiety. He doesn't belong here on the road, he knows it, you know it - who should *at best* be tucked away in an apothecary shop somewhere. So why is he here? He asks himself the same question - but in the end because he has things that need to be tested if they're going to work in the field, because he has a few ideas.

left-aligned image
Personality: A believer in the old adage that if you feel like you've overprepared you might have prepared enough, he's a bit of a coward and likes to keep things neat and tidy to the point that it seems like a compulsion. His prefered Adventuring clothes reflect this as he even wears what seems to be a gas filter over his face as much as he can and rarely does he expose any skin when there's actual risk involved.

But there are some positives for adventuring. Liam has a keen, analytical mind that seems to be wired for solving puzzles. And while he doesn't like *physical* risk he does seem to have that quiet form of courage where if something *has* to be done he'll get himself to do it. He also deeply believes in the methodic aquisition of knowledge and that knowledge exists to be shared. He's not brave, but he does believe in the dignity of the individual that everyone deserves respect.

Background: With the apparent Death of the Goddess and the Failing of the Magiks, there's really been three main approaches to dealing with that part of the crisis. There's the Despondent, those whose approach were one of the many ways of Despair like just keeping their heads down to not think of it, or drink away their fears if they can afford the securities. There's the Desperate, those whose plans are geared toward somehow fixing Magic - which is a noble goal but if no plan has worked since the war what makes you think any will?

Liam is among the Descisive. Don't give into fear, don't cling to a desperate past - instead try to build something New. And a leader among them is the Quadruple-A, the Association of Apothacorial and Alchemic Arts. With Magic being *at best* unreliable instead the work should be geared toward systemic study and experimentation on Reality itself. This Naturalist Philosophy has had it's own setbacks but with some new innovations some avenues of research are starting to pay off.

Liam Muem is a researcher for the AAAA, an Alchemist by training and a researcher for the organization he's low level but his mind will go far in the organization. He's out adventuring because the AAAA's inventions and innovations need some testing, some of which can't be done in the controlled conditions they'd like. Some have quite the potential to turn around the Empire's fortunes. Especially a discovery involving a chemical compound that's created when you mix saltpeter, surfer, and charcoal...

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Sep 19th, 2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
PM's sent out and threads in the middle of starting